The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

Hargreves would cost about £5-6m though. Is carrick really worth double him++? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nope, because Hargreaves is better </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

now you're having a deadset laugh. carrick >>>> hargreaves. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you watch football?

We are talking about defensive midfielders and Carrick is about as much of a defensive midfielder as Gerrard is.

Carrick is a Deep lying playmaker, much like the kind of player Seba used to be in midfield. He's not a defensive midfielder.

Hargreaves and Carrick would actually compliment each other very well in a side with Rooney up front. Which is why i'd take them both.

Neither are really better than the other as they're different players who bring different things to the table.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also what foobs said is correct about them using a back three, to which Gabby is probably more suited given his proficiency in both positions, otherwise LB is his best position from what I've seen of him in the centre.

And I've decided to compromise, rather than sell my body ala nick, I will happily donate money to the club, but only into a specifically set up "Sign Javier Mascherano Now Fund".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

How old are you alilaw? Always pictured you to be early/mid thirties. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OI!

I'm 22. A young 22 at that.

Easy mistake to make though. I suspect it's my exceedingly wide-ranging vocabulary and my mature style of posting that did for you...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy Jordan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy Jordan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

Nick, stop being a jerk and just listen to me.

why would Ruud let Ferguson slight him like that when he has spoke out about his behavior/treatment before? it makes no sense to me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've already answered that. If you're too busy talking rubbish to notice then it's not my problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I understand what you said. however, I don't see it fitting with his past pattern of behavior.

as such, I think that it's much more likely that Ruud did indeed put in a transfer request in 2005 rather than have it be a tale completely invented by Ferguson in some myopic effort to discredit the man. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could care less about what you think about it tbf mate? You don't know the half of it regarding Fergie's tendency to mislead the press and discredit those who cross him so forgive me if you're not really changing my view here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>aha, the "I don't care if you make valid points!" argument.

wp. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

More the "I don't care because you're ill-informed and are ignoring valid responses to your 'valid' points" argument, but it's cool.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

You have to remember, poor Joe has aspergers. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

remind him to only eat the tips.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

like i said, assist stat is so stupid. why exactly are you tracking them anyway taz? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because we did it last year, its just a nice stat to look at whether it means anything or not and someone asked. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a feeling it was me actually.

To go way off subject. Rossi. it seems the whole reserve side has been sent out on loan except this kid.

It made sense to keep him as he was the best of the lot and we all thought he would continue to make the step up and get more first team games but do you think Fergie will actually give him games or would we be best letting clubs know he is available for loan and let him experience the championship or premier league?

Leaving him in the reserves will do the lad no good at all and we have Sparky, Robbo, Keano and Brucey all managing in the top two tiers of english football.

I read that they went to West Ham but their contract as such stays with MSI. West Ham paid £5m for them to play there this year, basically as a loan but if they chose to move on then the club would get nothing.

Of course that may just be paper ********. (and I've been away for a few days so that may have already been posted elsewhere).

Signed Carrick but didn't want Mascherano is just a joke. We're also woefully short of options up front now Rossi & Ruud are gone and balsa boy and a semi-cripple* leading the line. icon_mad.gif

*OGSIFB

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

aye he simply replied

Elucids </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Elucids???

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Frankly I don't care who it was against, I was judging him on his performance rather than what his performance should be. I don't think he just didn't let them score, he was commanding and better than Brown for example. They all did well so who cares icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

have to admit, i was very tempted to give 3nd to vida, but the quality of the opposition kinda swayed it against him. little unfair really, as the attackers and midfielders played against similar quality in their thirds of the pitch. icon_biggrin.gif

i thought vidic was excellent, and one or two mistakes aside, so too was paddy.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched MOTD, so based on the highlights...

MOM: Wayne Rooney

2ND: Ryan Giggs

The Roon for obvious match winning brilliance (both goals were really good takes); Giggsy because he honestly looked our other most influential player in an attacking sense from what the Beeb decided to show.

Evra was asleep for the goal but proceeded to produce the best cross I can recall him putting in whilst he's been with us to set up the 2nd. Nice work from GNev for the first as well.

Difficult to comment on anything else from what was shown, looked like we bossed it other than conceding first (had to be Gillespie didn't it...). Oh and we should have had two penalties. And I hope Saha looks a bit sharper against Celtic and Chelsea if we're going to get what we want out of those games.

Roll on the Champions League & Vidic getting a chance to own Drogba a week tomorrow...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Everyone in the world seemed to become a Liverpool fan that night.. even some fellow United supporters... urgh

I was the ONLY one in the pub not happy about it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

my best mate "I got caught up in the moment", get ****ed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, exactly.

I heard the same excuse from some.. for me "the moment" was just hellishly horrible.

Especially with a loudmouth tw*t scouser standing right behind me who had earlier in the evening forced a United fan to abandon the pub just by constantly hurling abuse at him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

When is the next Champiosn League game

Febuary time? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> First knockout round, 1st leg 20/21.02.2007

First knockout round, 2nd leg 06/07.03.2007

Quarter-finals, 1st leg 03/04.04.2007

Quarter-finals, 2nd leg 10/11.04.2007

Semi-finals, 1st leg 24/25.04.2007

Semi-finals, 2nd leg 01/02.05.2007

Final (Athens, Greece) 23.05.2007 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 4 weeks later...

heh.. clever including five centre backs and only three full backs.

drop mcgrath and call in parker i guess... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't bother balancing my squad to be honest. It was fortune that i had 4 full backs, and i've got no left winger.

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Walrus:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Maverick:

I think if we sign Hargreaves it gives us good options, from the most defensive (Carrick + Hargreaves), to the most attacking (Scholes + Carrick), with Carrick + Hargreaves somewhere inbetween. Plus you have the tactical considerations of playing Hargreaves if the opposition play a forward "in the hole", and equally, if there's likely to be lots of room in between the opponents midfield and defense, you'd want Scholes in there to wreak havoc.

It basically gives us good options without unbalancing the side whichever pair we choose, and I think we'll have enough games to keep them all happy.

Oh, and I'm on the side of cautious optimism. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You do know that you can't sign Hargreaves until July and that's next season yeah? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. I supposed I could have prefaced every mention of Hargreaves with "(if we signed him)", but I forgot to take into account the fact that idiots would be reading it.

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">'Paul Scholes has been cleared to play in Manchester United's prestigious charity match against a European Select XI at Old Trafford next week.

The former England star faced missing out on the March 13 game - which will celebrate both the 50th anniversary of United's entry into Europe and the Treaty of Rome - because of his red card at Liverpool on Saturday.

However, the Football Association have concluded that because Scholes is free to play in Wednesday night's Champions League encounter with Lille at Old Trafford, he should also be eligible for the charity game, when a full-strength United side will tackle a combined team - including Ronaldinho and Steven Gerrard - managed by Marcello Lippi.

It is a piece of double good news for Scholes from Soho Square as it has now been confirmed the 32-year-old will only be suspended for three games for his air swipe at Xabi Alonso.

As he was also red-carded during a pre-season clash with FC Porto, there had been fears Scholes would be banned for an extra game.

However, as that was not a designated first-team fixture under FA rules, his violent conduct dismissal only resulted in a suspension at that time.

It means Scholes will miss Saturday's FA Cup trip to Middlesbrough, plus the Premiership encounters with Bolton and Blackburn at Old Trafford on March 17 and 31, before being available again for the Easter Saturday encounter with Portsmouth at Fratton Park.' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wow, that's certainly a weight off my mind </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would have been SO awesome if that crappy friendly game would have counted for one of the games in his ban icon_biggrin.gif

Everybody would have called Fergie a tactical mastermind icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Come on lads, wishing injuries on our players is OUT OF ORDER ffs icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Missing the point ifb.

We have private rail companies but all track is currently owned by network rail.

But seeing as though network rail recently ****ed up big time the private rail companies are calling to be given control of the track.

Considering that it was actually down to the fact Virgin has some of the safest rolling stock in the world which limited the deaths from a high speed crash to 1, they currently have a better safety record than network rail to point to.

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

what's our allocation for Milan? can't go unless i win the lottery but i'm thinking i should probably apply anyway to help my cause should we get to the final. just wondering what my chances are of actually ending up with a ticket that i can't use. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Should apply anyway dude, would easily sell it on, 5000 at a guess, plus you applied for Lille/Roma

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived