The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> In recent months there have been a number of unsubstantiated reports on whom Sir Alex Ferguson desires to purchase and who he wishes to place on the market to acquire more funds. What you’re about to read is confidential plans for Manchester United set up by Sir Alex, David Gill and the Glazer Family. Firstly can I say that, Utd fans are going to be amazed by this report your about to read, like myself when I first read it.

The document stipulated that Manchester United will announce a Press Conference at 12.00pm on Friday 14th July 2006. Sir Alex will be present along with David Gill, Bryan & Joel Glazer. The Conference will be held for 45 minutes in this time David Gill will

Start off presenting the new home Shirt sponsored by American International Group (AIG), David Gill will then go in to detail about the design. Once this is over David Gill will hand over the Conference to Joel & Bryan Glazer, who will then turn to the press and in typical American Press Conference fashion (meaning over the top and having the shock factor) say ‘I would like you all to welcome the new members of the Manchester United family and out will walk the new players, to the shock of the press entering the room will be Fernando Torres, Javier Mascherano, Esteban Cambiasso in the new Manchester United home shirt. David Gill will then say that they hope this will reassure the fans and that there summer spending is not yet over, David Gill will then go on to say that they have 3 to 4 more potential signing. Sir Alex will then go into detail about the transfers, contract lengths of each player and why they have signed each player. Fans who think that this is just a fan writing this report and what you have read and about to read below is very suspicious and strange behavior for Manchester United are wrong as this is what the Glazers are known for in America, the Glazer family are renowned for there strange approach towards the press and straight to the point, over the top conferences. The report I read also had some names of the other potential signing that David Gill stated earlier in the press conference, those names were Franck Ribery, Juan Roman Riquelme, Rafinha, Rafael van der Vaart, Joe Cole, Simao and Klass Jan Huntelaar. Now next to the player called Klass Jan Huntelaar, written was January 2007. so I can only presume that they are signing him in the January Transfer window. Then Sire Alex will let the press ask questions, once this is over Sir Alex will then go onto say that they have also signed Kerlon Souza from Cruzeiro Fc and that with them unable to acquire a work permit, Kerlon will go straight on loan to Racing Santander Fc for 2 seasons and that they have the promise of Racing Santander coach Juan Ramon Lopez Caro, that Kerlon will play at least 15 games in each season that he is there. Then nearer to the end of the press conference there will be more questions from the press and then Sir Alex will talk about the upcoming season, he will go onto to say that Ben Foster will be the new number two goal keeper and Gerard Pique and Guiseppe Rossi will be heading to West Brom on loan for a season.

Press Conference Over." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razzler:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Why are they called the pirates? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

.. i dont think it has an historical meaning, just a name type thing </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll have you know that Andrew Bassie, a key member of the team, suggested the new name 'Orlando Pirates'.

i hate to say this but i think im guna have to try and tend to the idea of vieira. i know its hard to say this but vieira >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> nobody. and if the funds are as limited as it has been said then thats the options.

if vieira actually rejectes us to play in serie b...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Ref who sent Rooney off was just on SSN saying he sent Rooney off for a slap and only did so because every other time he jumped for a header his arms were at his side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The fact he was on SSN says it all to me

Attention seeking twat

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

I agree largely with what you have said Jimlad, and it is very easy to paint a picture of our squad like that, because apart from the central midfield where we would like one in, there is very little wrong at all.

However, playing devil's advocate here, it could be argued that:

VDS is old, makes the odd mistake and we have only a WBA keeper who has played half a season and an untried keeper as backup. Gary Neville is increasingly injury prone and needs to be replaced, Evra is unproven so far, Heinze is injury prone, Silvestre is a liability, Giggs and Scholes are approaching the end, Ronaldo has no end product, Saha is made of glass and Rossi has no experience and isn't ready.

Obviously my thoughts are much nearer to yours than that scenario, but still icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah that "argument" would just be rubbish icon_biggrin.gif

- very few have 3 great keepers. we're fine in that area imo.

- Neville will be fine for a couple of years yet. And anyway there's Wesley, doing increasingly well at right back, to fill in.

- Evra is clearly improving

- Heinze ifb and not really that injury prone

- Silvestre is indeed fs I'll give ya that

- Giggs naturally replaced by Martin

- Scholes showing form and probably has a couple of years left. Can certainly fill the gap during that period.

- dont even get me started on no end product Ronaldo

- Saha meh. On the flip side we have Rooney who is built of steel.

- Rossi icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shostfrock:

And I'm speaking in regards to the Dutch national side post 98 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you Dutch? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah. It's a flamin' Bogan.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

I'm just hoping Keano can lift the mood by signing Liam Miller. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It'll be on loan not permanant if he does

if/when I do it, it'll be a separate thread so the randoms can get in on the action and counterbalance our biasedness.

might not even be this weekend though as I'm terribly busy and actually take thinking about entire squads relatively seriously (at least by otf standards). maybe monday unless someone else wants to take the lead.

F'in hell - more United wesite stupidity.

Decided to alter my details seeing as every time I apply for tickets some muppet without the ability to enter data correctly off an application form has messed up my address so I have to change it, and what do I see - apparently I'm female! icon_mad.gif This despite my title being 'Mr'!

I despair I really do.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Parma 1 - 0 Torino

Rossi 75 (P)

Stadio Tardini

Former Premiership starlet Giuseppe Rossi made a sensational debut with a winning goal and countless chances for Parma.

Toro wanted a result to know if they would be fighting against relegation or aiming for a European place this season, but the Gialloblu were without a win since October. Both teams had first-choice goalkeepers out of action - Alfonso De Lucia with a fractured cheekbone, Christian Abbiati suspended - while Andrea Ardito, Massimo Paci, Luca Cigarini and Ferdinand Coly were also banned.

Giuseppe Rossi completed his loan move from Manchester United this week and was thrown right in at the deep end with his Parma debut. It was a return for the youngster, who grew up in the Gialloblu youth system, and it took him just 33 seconds to force a corner.

Roberto Muzzi and Igor Budan also shaved the upright in a lively start to the match, but Rossi was on spectacular form, exchanging passes with Budan to bring a save from Taibi's outstretched foot.

Domenico Morfeo drilled inches wide and Taibi flapped at a curling Rossi free kick. There were no doubts on who was Man of the Match, as Rossi just failed to get on the end of Jorge Bolano's curling cross from the left under pressure from Taibi.

Giuseppe Rossi's arrival at the Tardini could be the best bit of business in the European transfer market this season, as he marked his sensational debut with a goal. The Under-21 international hooked down a cross, dribbled between four defenders and smashed his shot in despite Taibi getting a hand to it.

Toro didn't give in and Luca Bucci smothered an acrobatic Franceschini overhead kick.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The lad got a standing ovation as he came off.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

I hope the atmosphere at Spurs is good, people on RI are saying the United end yesterday was full of non-singers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apparantly a woman with a kid left after 60 mins, full of tourists filming the game/taking pictures.

Applied for Fulham yet? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was in the pub, and a woman in front asked why we were playing in blue. icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

That one that smacked in off the underside of the bar. Against Wednesday was it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was thinking of that one as well. That was when we hit 5 against them, wasn't it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

And I'd take Hughes over the inevitable Queroiz. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but that's like saying you'd take O'Shea at leftback over Richardson. Hardly a glowing endorsement, is it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

the treble icon_biggrin.gif

oh and I cannot agree with Nick re: lessening the 99 achievement. Us winning it again would be ffffffffffb.

But quite clearly not gonna happen, who the hell even brought it up in the first place icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

those pesky players managing to still be in three competitions in May icon_rolleyes.gif Of course people are going to talk about it. God only knows what you lot must've been like going into the CL Final in 99 when we had no Scholes or Keane.

icon_wink.gif

Puel: United are to blame

Lille coach Claude Puel has rejected claims his side were at fault for the problems in the first leg of their UEFA Champions League tie with Manchester United - instead blaming the English club and their 'violent' fans.

Lille have come under intense criticism for a number of incidents during the match, which saw fans climbing over fencing at the ground as numbers inside the away end threatened to increase to dangerous levels.

But Puel believes Manchester United fans were behaving dangerously and the overcrowding only occurred because the club did not do enough to prevent the production of fake tickets.

"It is a paradox to criticise Lille," he said. "Manchester United's own fans were violent and in possession of counterfeit tickets. The facts are there for everyone to see, so it is difficult to see why it is Lille's fault.

"Since the first match, we have heard a lot of things from the Manchester United side, but the situation has been created by them."

Furthermore, a controversial Ryan Giggs free-kick during the match resulted in Lille temporarily leaving the field of play as they felt refereeing decisions were going against them.

But Puel has dismissed the notion that his team were prepared to abandon the game and that they were simply making their feelings clear via a protest, and that, as a result, there is no shame in their actions.

"I am not embarrassed at all.

"I have explained this many times before. Of course we wanted to continue to play the second game.

"You could say we weren't au fait with the rules that give us 24 hours to make a complaint. In France, those rules are different."

Puel was also incensed by Sir Alex Ferguson, who has made a series of remarks about his feelings on Lille's behaviour.

"Since the first leg, we have heard Sir Alex Ferguson say a lot of things and put a lot of pressure on.

"We know that this is one of his ways of doing things, but in France we are more interested in respect between teams and between managers."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please destroy them.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

hmmmm, TO quite efficient today, just got a duplicate Boro for tonight and was only on hold 5 minutes icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_eek.gif , they must have you on a direct line after all those letters you sent in. icon_biggrin.gif

Ronnie reiterates United stance

Cristiano Ronaldo has reiterated that his long-term plan is to stay at Manchester United.

Ronaldo is strongly linked with moves to Real Madrid and Barcelona almost on a daily basis.

Yet the player's representatives are currently in talks with United over a new contract and the 22-year-old seems as set as ever on pledging his future to The Red Devils.

"I consider myself a footballer at Manchester United who is playing well and trying to help the team," he told The Sun.

"I want to leave my mark on this era, win titles and be a figure in the history of this club.

"If things keep going well I want to stay here. I'm only thinking about Manchester United and I want to stay here for more than another two years.

"I want to stay here but nobody knows what's in the future. As I said a long time ago, one day I want to play in Spain.

"But right now I'm happy where I am and I want to continue because I'm at a great football club. I'm not a Galactico.

"It's always important to know the biggest clubs are interested in your work as it means everything is going very well."

Both Ronaldo's agent Jorge Mendes and manager Sir Alex Ferguson have insisted there is no rush to finalise a new contract - and the winger does not expect any problems.

"We're negotiating and everything is being defined for me to stay here," he added.

"Jorge is talking with the club and I think everything will turn out well and I will stay here."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

Tbf, Nick, some of us are given ridiculously short times to get to buses/cars after the game. The scouse game, for example, I was seated(? Yeah, right icon_biggrin.gif) at the back of the Stretty T2. After the game finished, getting out of, and away from the stadium to the bus was a nightmare, which ended with me missing the bus home.

Then there was the Boro' replay. icon_frown.gif

I'm left with a dilemma every game. Get to the bus in plenty of time, or watch all of the game.

Mostly, football wins out, but there have been times when I left early just to make sure I got on the feckin' bus home.

So it may be that Some leave early for that very reason. We're not all Manchester locals, are we ? icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh, that's fair enough ofc (after wigan on boxing day i only just got there in time and i hardly ambled). don't understand quite why there's such a short period of time to get back for some coaches really. that's a decent excuse - that and possibly missing a train is the only excuse really. people who leave to beat the traffic infuriate me, people who leave to avoid a couple of minutes queueing on the stairwells need a slap (unless they have small kids/elderly relatives with them, guess that's fair), people who f**k off to get a pie after half an hour need to be on the recieving end of an angry rio ferdinand howitzer.

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You doing a weekender for Wimbledon? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, should be down sometime on friday.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">gonna do any of the united friendlies blaine? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not planning to at the moment. only really aware of the asian tour, doncaster and peterborough though.

Oh good. Gaby goes off to Madrid and the press start getting excited because of his friendship with Cristiano.

and £5m. Why are we suddenly becoming a charitable concern for Real? Any chance we could chuck a wig on Silvestre?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

of the daughters.

Not Remo Staubli, who is this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remo_Staubli </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, everything i've ever read about him has suggested he was too old. we'll see i guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived