The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

It was made up by a fella on RI

I wanted Rich to top himself icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What? icon_mad.gif

Right, you are a dead man. I'm coming to the football meetup and I'm going to stamp repeatedly on your ********

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

We're just two players short </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are we hell icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

None of us were moaning about how lazy or uninvolved he was back in 2003. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spoilt barsteward

Don't think I said anything bad about Ronaldo icon_smile.gif

He will have a brilliant season this year, I can jsut feel it.

I was watching United greatest goals on Sky 1 last night.

I just love the way Solskjaer describes his winning goal in the final & talks about how when it reached 1 - 1 he thought "Great I am going to get another 30 minutes playing in a champtions league final" icon_biggrin.gif "Guess it didn't work out like that".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> UWS understands from two different sources that United are in talks with Owen Hargreaves. Both say that he'll be coming to the club and that the Senna deal is still on. More when we get it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ok ive calmed down about kooschak now, the fact we ARE actually going to sign him permanently means its a good deal. it was the thought he was just coming here for a years loan then going back in exchange for two of our players that annoyed me.

now COME ON SENNA

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

I reckon he probably planned to ship Silvestre out but a combination of his good form at the end of last season and Evra's indifferent form has changed his mind. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

good form

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Honestly, I'd be happy with £13m.

Then again with the state of our midfield I've become less and less concerned with the costs involved, and just want the gaps filled. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On top of that, given the choice i'd rather we overpaid to get a Hargreaves type player than overpay to get a Carrick type.

As for the Carrick fee, i'd be amazed if we end up paying less than about £17.5m for him. Most of the extra payments will be based on games for us and England, i would have thought.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Owen Hargreaves is almost 100 percent certain to become a Manchester United player this week, Setanta Sports understands.

The Old Trafford club were on the verge of landing the England midfielder last week until Bayern Munich tested their resolve by bumping up the player's price from Stg14 million to almost Stg20 million.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, they broke the Carrick story before everyone else icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ffs icon_biggrin.gif

ps. 20m ://

pps. Did they really break the Carrick story first?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

If I get a Celtic ticket that is. Sold out o nthe site now but I havn't hada regret e-mail. Will check my bank at some point on Tuesday I imagine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

warning mate. I didn't get any e-mail rejection or notification at all that I hadnt got Spurs tickets. AND the phone line kept saying no ballot results... finally got through to an actual person and they said I hadnt got anything :/

so rubbish </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

PLEASE don't get me started on the ticket office icon_mad.gif

Oh in other news I played 5 a side tonight & I appear to be even more unfit than when we had our meetup kickabout icon_biggrin.gif I slipped about 10 minutes in at the corner & mashed my knee into the floor then against the boards. Got a nice bruise already & it's still leaking that crappy yellowish plasma stuff icon14.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

Anybody by any chance looked to see what that bastard Obi Wan Kenoby did for Chelski? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't see it all and wasn't paying much attention but from what I did see he flitted in and out. Couple of nice touches but didn't really provide the proceedings with much substance. Had the shot that the keeper parried away and Drogba scored off though.

and although he was dodgy, he was still talented... just had some Silvestre moments. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

His save from Hamman when Diego scored twice at Anfield remains one of my favourite United-Liverpool moments icon14.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

I don't know if anyone is watching a stream of this, because i'm interested to know if Solskjaer is quite as anonymous as he's sounded on the radio. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

The United no. 27 shirt should never be seen on the pitch again either imo.

What's the Saha situation? Can we give Rooney a rest tomorrow pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Saha's available, but Fergie's insisted in his press conference that Rooney won't be (and doesn't need to be) rested :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, but I want a Saha / Larsson partnership icon_frown.gif

I asked for people's opinions on Boyle because I had never seen him/spoke to him or anything, all i've had is my dad's opinion. Where's the need to chip in with your smart comments Blaine?

Nick, his website says it's still running, it might be outdated. I agree with the atmosphere bit though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

Any guesses on the attendance tonight?

i'm guessing 71,500. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It will be 75 at least

• 3 weeks later...

right, my usual lengthy pointless post-game ramble

let's say the game finished just before Ronnie's piece of magic. there would have been some serious questions for Fergie to answer - leaving Neville out for whatever reason was inexplicable and his substitutions were baffling (how Giggs wasn't hauled off and replaced by Park i'll never know). equally so, the players would have been deserving recipients of some serious flak. don't know whether it was a european hangover of sorts, the result of an awful pitch or just a general off-day, but that was a seriously dire performance from back to front.

VDS probably redeemed himself with that fantastic save in the second half (from davies i think?) but he was far from convincing early on, regardless of who ultimately was to blame for mcbride's goal. Wes had a shocker at right-back and only made the decision to leave Nev out look even more foolish. on the other flank, Paddy had his worst game in ages, and Vida seemed to follow suit. Rio was probably the pick of a very ropey back-line, and even he was poor at times, notably late on when showing a real reluctance to attack the ball and get rid when the defence needed a leader in Vidic's absence. O'Shea and Silvestre were both accidents waiting to happen during their cameos and immediately fitted into the 'giving the ball away cheaper than Kieran Richardson's transfer value' ethic the team had developed.

the midfield wasn't much better. Carrick had his worst game in the shirt, and Scholesy probably his worst of the season. the former played like the ball was a hot potato and his usual efficiency in possession and defensive positioning was conspicuous by its absence. the latter was caught in possession more times than i can remember in the rest of the season combined. giggs - this is a weird one. rarely can i remember such a conflict of opinion on one player's performance between those at the game and those watching at home. i think i speak for mart, jules, ali, jonny and most in the putney stand when i say i thought he had a shocker. nice goal, nice early run but aside from that? abysmal set piece delivery, shirking of challenges, simple mistakes, wrong decisions at crucial times (the move near the end where ronnie kept it in, flicked it back to him and the ball was just crying to be driven in low across the face of goal, and he instead looped an aimless ball in the general direction of the far post summed it up for me). all too familiar of late. i'll leave the last of the midfield quartet until later.

upfront - i was gonna say Wayne was like he was before his recent revival of sorts, but he wasn't really. back then his effort was fine, he just needed a break, in a few senses of the word. today he just didn't seem at the races and his touch was miles off. hopefully just an off day. Henke ran his arse off, was the only one offering any real movement all game and really deserves to be part of much better team performances than those we've seen this past week. at least we can take something from a lively and interested Louis Saha when he came on.

so to Ronaldo. utterly baffled how he's not everyone's MOM. head and shoulders above anyone else wearing red today for me. yes, there were the usual hissy fits when he didn't get a freekick and a lack of tracking back at times, but he was far and away our most dangerous player, and more importantly, he was our most committed and determined. he wanted this win badly and wasn't going to let his hapless team-mates prevent it from happening. and what a wonderful wonderful winner. a fantastic goal and a moment that's right up there as one of my all-time favourite moments following the reds. fantastic celebrations on the pitch and in the stands. has the potential to be ranked up there with the wednesday game in '93 and highbury in '03 in the pantheon of championship-defining games.

the 9 point lead is fantastic, the psychology of winning in that way even more significant arguably. the old cliché about champions winning ugly rings true, and you get the feeling this game could be the once that truly convinces players and fans alike that this might just be our year after all. and i don't know about anyone else, but i derive immense satisfaction from the thought of mourinho and co no doubt gathered around a tv in a south wales hotel thinking at around 2.30pm that we were slipping up, letting them back into it and then how they must have felt when Ronnie scored.

atmosphere - sensational for the first twenty minutes or so. still pretty ace for the rest of the first half. fell disappointingly flat second half, in tune with our performance - there was just nothing to feed off. until the winner ofc, upon which the Putney Stand was quite literally rocking icon_cool.gif

devastating lack of burger/beer facilities outside craven cottage btw

motm: ronnie

2nd: vds

i am SHATTERED

well lets just end this circular argument here

but needless to say I thought that whole match after the first few minutes was a complete joke and we shouldnt have to witness a performance like that. "fringe" players or not.

probably go out to Boro after making the same mistake again.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

I mean i wanna go in the movie business, make a **** load of money and buy United. What in gods earth makes her think she's gonna be over United in the priority list when i am prepared to go bankrupt to buy the club for the love of god. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good for you man.

What area do you want to be in in the business?

My brother has directed short film thats gonna be appearing at Dresden. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My aim is basically to end up working in Hollywood. Don't really wanna do completely mainstream movies (like Michael Bay) but i'm hoping to be working similar to Tarantino or Christopher Nolan. To make cooool semi-mainstream movies icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So Directing then? Or Producing?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also in 1998 one of our players came back vilified from a world cup only to prove his true mettle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I said that back in July. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah but you also said this

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Would rather have team of Scousers playing for us than Ronaldo at the moment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

lads, it is with great sadness that i have to announce that from the 29th May, i will no longer be providing my usual gems of wisdom and high-quality repartee between the hours of 9 and 5 and in my usual late night slot :*(

• 4 weeks later...

Archived