The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

A big no to Beckham coming back. We're looking to play well without the likes of Scholes, Giggs, etc. Bringing Beckham back would go against all that. We need to move on and not fall into the Liverpool trap of keeping our aging players.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

WE DONT NEED KEEPERS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbf casillas is so awesome he'd win us the title by not letting the other team score. ever.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Manchester United are in talks to sign £25million Atletico Madrid striker Fernando Torres as a replacement for outgoing Ruud van Nistelrooy.

Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Newcastle have all expressed an interest in van Nistelrooy but the Bernabeu looks his most likely destination, with director of football Pedrag Mijatovic reportedly in Manchester to finalise a £15million deal.

And United will use the money to help fund their bid for Spain star Torres.

A host of clubs are said to be keen on the 22-year-old but reports suggest that Sir Alex Ferguson is the first manager to firm up his interest and heads the list to land the player.

It could be a busy few weeks at Old Trafford with Ferguson admitting he is considering a raid on the Italian transfer market following the match-fixing scandal.

Fabio Cannavaro, Luca Toni, Patrick Vieira, Lilian Thuram, David Trezeguet and Pavel Nedved have all been linked.

And Ferguson admitted: "The Italian situation is something we are addressing."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

you're making excuses. The fact is we jammed the league when we won it and what the opposition do is largely irrelevant if you're doing your best, with the right players playing the right way. United have done nothing since we won the league and have gone backwards.

As for Madrid, competant manager, stronger backline and now Ruud upfront they're a different proposition. Certainly different to Bayern who are, lets face it, the Chelsea of Germany. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't disagree with you entirely, Rich, although i think you're far overstating the case. While i agree about going abckwards since we won the league, i don't believe we 'jammed' it as you put it.

And as for your comments on Madrid being a different proposition now, that is the case, but it's hardly relevant when you agree yourself he put in a transfer request in '05, and we all know that his destination at that time was also Madrid, who were still a shambles at that point.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

christ almighty... so putting in a transfer request on the eve of a cup final doesn't make you self centered? give me a break. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fergie = Gospel :*)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyPolack:

Not offering LB's icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We could still play him there. You've got to be versatile to play for us icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy "Muzza" Murray:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SarfLondonSpur:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Martin impressed again when he came on, i hope he gets a decent chance in the first team this season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If Martin and Ronaldo are in the same side, the fullbacks are going to have a torrid, torrid, time </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fergie did say something might develop during the week.

Rumours that Lee Martin may be coming on loan to Rangers for the season, no idea if there is anything behind them though </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

So we're giving them two players for free, getting one player on loan and we have to pay a future fee?

Great business </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Two players surplus to requirements off the wage bill and allowed to further their careers elsewhere, a key position filled with a loan signing (allowing Foster to go to Watford) and absolutely no mention of a confirmed future fee.

So yeah, great business?

The point is your original post was fairly clearly an attempt to paint this as a poor signing? He's a decent keeper, did fairly well in the Premiership, well enough to go the World Cup, still got time very much on his side in goalkeeping terms. You're not going to do any better in terms of a backup.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Yeah should have worded better - adding the money for seena and a possible striker if they sign during the transfer window will probably make the net spend to be £25m </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so that'll be half the promised spend so far. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

aye, but was the thing being that there would be £25m net spend per summer or just a straight £25m outgoing per year, with any player sales going to the debt repayments? If its the first one then we are £25m down on the 'pledge', if its the second scenario then its closer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

A working stream \O/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paid for? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah. A new discovery that's been dead handy this pre-season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You cant just leave it at that ffs icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

I'll bet a tenner that he's signed by the end of next week. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All i've got to say on that issue is, never trust a man in a fawn jacket.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

We're all gonna be ok fellas. Turns out Spurs are crap again. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good. That's me winning that bet with the Tullster. icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

We'll line up like follows against Tottenham

Van der Saar

Morgan

Ferdinand

Sheehan

Richardson

Ronaldo

Beatty

Carrick

Huart

Burrage

Stuart </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm having the central midfield role, thank you very much icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

your ARSE. that's mine you bastard

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

Relying on Cole? He's barely played for a year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats one of the reasons why you were sh*t last season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

1)

YOU ARE MY SOLSKJAER

You are my Solskjaer,

My Ole Solskjaer,

You make me happy,

When skies are grey,

And Alan Shearer, Was ****ing dearer,

So Please don't take, My Solskjaer, Away.....

2)No basically icon_biggrin.gif I'm too busy with Uni and other things now so either wait til next July and I'll do a 1,000 page megareview, someone else do it, or just leave it icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

he certainly scored one. Wasn't the winner really late.

The ESPN classics channel has shown the Barca game a few times....seems like the 'myth' of the atmosphere that night, may actually be fact. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm really vague on the Juve bit. My recollection is basically that it was him who beat us, so it may be as simple as him just getting a late winner, rather than running tthe show.

We don't get that ESPN channel on NTL. My wife is probably grateful, given some of the matches you've mentioned have been on. It'd probably never be off in our house. icon_biggrin.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Scouse in the next draw would be fecking amazing icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*despairs* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's just wanting it so he can ask that girl to the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"So sorry darling, how about I console you with dinner...?" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha icon_biggrin.gif

The idea of Mart pretending to be that reasonable when Liverpool are involved is awesome.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That Eagles goal was a fb finish. If it was done by Henry, OTF would be creaming themselves over it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't believe he came on after not playing for our first team for like 2 years or something and did that!

Btw, I just caught PNevs post-match interview on MOTD as I was leaving work & I gotta ask, when did he turn into Silvermane?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by atvkwkad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gaga_4_parma:

SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME! YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*English Press in your fcuking FACE!* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope you die </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

right there with you.

• 2 weeks later...

you mention our problems up front, but the wing situation is equally bad/worse.

Giggs just doesnt play there anymore, and Richardson isnt a footballer.

That leaves us with Ronnie and Park, the latter of whom isnt even going to be fit for the start of the season.

Unless Fergie wants to do away with old fashioned winger formation altogether, we need one sooner than we need a striker where despite the flaws - the fact is we do have numbers to play up there.

Don't get me wrong, I still think we are in dire need of another winger.

I kinda reckon it will come down to the formation Ferguson is thinking off playing. We could see something like:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

XXXX

Rooney Ronaldo

Scholes

Carrick Hargreaves

</pre>

In which case a striker is priority or:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Rooney Saha/Smith

XXXX Scholes Hargreaves/Carrick Ronaldo

</pre>

In which case a winger is priority and another striker fairly essential.

Hope this works.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">No one else could have been there for it to only get one vote

Top atmosphere </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thought you would have put bacup down... icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>icon_frown.gif

Good experience that though icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">5 August v Chelsea (Wembley) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anyone else bored enough to do the annual "is the charity shield a friendly or not" debate, or shall we wait until nearer the time? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's a debate?

Don't go all scouse on us Mark and call it a proper competitive game...

Archived