The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

honestly, all this sort of **** is why i dont support england in international tournaments </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

I didn't realise we were being that specific icon_frown.gif

I started something O'Shea couldn't finish </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Works better with Park Ji-Sung tbf icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tanman007:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by markgood guy:

Torres is not going to get you goals week in week out not like Ruud, and he is going to cost you much much more than you can afford .

i think you are making ahuge mistake letting Ruud go.

as you can tell i like him alot, as i am sure you do to </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does anyone truly believe that Torres would leave Atletico Madrid, the club he has played for since youth level and move to England a new country and to Manchester United. Can Man utd offer him such an obscene amount of money that he would tempt him to leave? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reyes loved Sevilla tbf.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

apparently we are signing carrick tomorrow for £18million. if that price is true ill cry </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i know i'm living in la la land suggesting it - but carrick and masherano for 35m total would make this a pretty decent off season imo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and Huntelaar in the January transfer window will just add to the greatness.

Mr Sandman, bring me a dream....dum dum dum dum

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">18)Single-handedly keeping us in the Real Madrid tie in both legs, his spirit and determination was something else in both matches. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

:*****)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Only one Carrick... there's only one Carrick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thank god since we couldn't afford another one anyway icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy Jordan:

RYDOG laying down the law.

wb to civilization sire. oh wait, you live in Edgeley xsmug </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

as if you know what edgeley is like you dirty yank scum </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know what it's like, Jordan is half right icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 months later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

Jonny Evans will be our captain for ten years. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A worthy successor to the long line of homegrown defensive talents including Chris Casper, Pat McGibbon and John O'Shea.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hairwad:

Do you see where the mistake is in threatening aforementioned qualification by playing a formation that has proven to be sh*te on numerous occasions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember 442 being sh*te until 1999. It's very easy to hide behind tactics. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

eh icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

at this point i think he's just mumbling

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

WE ARE ALL ENJOYING THE MOMENT, BUT WE ARE ALSO REFUSING TO STICK OUR HEAD IN THE SAND AND IGNORE THE GLARING TACTICAL ERRORS THAT SAW US GO A GOAL BEHIND. IT IS POSSIBLE TO BOTH BE PLEASED WITH THE PERFORMANCE AND POINT OUT ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

how easy would it be for us to be in real trouble with repayments?

in terms of the (under) performance of the team..? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd take relegation to get rid of the *****. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs, it would also get rid of the idiotic 'prawn sandwich' brigade fans we have which is a good thing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

problem being that as soon as we have any success they'd all come back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sadly that is true.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

Did you get a photo of your view in the stadium BBB? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

aye fella, will upload shortly

• 2 weeks later...

I think our current defence would cope with Yorke and Cole well, and Saha, an on-form Rooney (maybe not applicable then :/ ) and Ronaldo would give them as much or more trouble than they faced that season. It's really all about whether Carrick and Scholes could deal with a Roy Keane at the peak of his powers...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

what do you reckon Vidic has for breakfast? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

all those Vidic 'things' irritate me, apart from one brilliant one. He doesn't make tea, he chews a teabag and pours boiling water into his mouth.

Kudos to whoever came up with that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Coldberg I think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah it was me, I am quite clearly awesome.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

yep, going to Spurs. Taking BBB along for the ride.

have you got a ticket then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Martin, whatever he says about why he chose you for the ticket, remember Gillian Taylforth.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Evra becoming first choice over Gabby possibly the least expected thing to have EVER happened during my time as a United supporter. He was utterly utterly utterly abysmal at the start, and Gabby was fb. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't go that far, you never know how players are going to come back from such serious injuries tbf.

It's a good question though, most unexpectedthing to have happened like that... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Personally, i don't think Gaby at his best keeps Paddy out of the side, i don't think his injury comes into it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It does if he can't get to his 04/05 best, though he hasn't really been given the chance to prove it either way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm comparing Gaby at his 04/05 best with Paddy now. Paddy's attacking play is so superior i'd have him every time while he's on this form.

• 2 weeks later...

Heinze distances himself from summer exit talk

Gabriel Heinze insists he is still happy with life at Manchester United.

After a sparkling debut season with the Old Trafford outfit, Heinze missed virtually all of last term after rupturing cruciate ligaments in a Champions League tie against Villarreal.

Although the 28-year-old Argentina full-back recovered his fitness in time to appear for his country in the World Cup, the effort required to push himself to play in the summer meant he was not in good shape when he returned to United for pre-season training.

Since then, Heinze has struggled to oust Patrice Evra, with most of his 19 appearances this term coming from the bench.

A number of clubs, notably Juventus, have expressed an interest in the player, with most pundits feeling Heinze will leave at the end of the season.

However, the tough-tackling defender has confirmed he harbours no immediate desire to quit.

'I don't really take any interest in what is being said,' Heinze told MUTV.

'The only two people who matter are myself and the manager. If there is no desire on either of our parts for me to leave, that is great.

'All I am concentrating on are the next three months, so I can fight as hard as I can to get in the side and do as much as I can for Manchester United.'

After making just two substitute appearances so far in 2007, Heinze will be hopeful of being in Sir Alex Ferguson's line-up for tomorrow's Premiership encounter with relegation-threatened Charlton.

United have won 15 out of their 17 meetings with the Addicks since their last defeat - in 1989 - and victory tomorrow would complete a fifth successive Premiership double over Alan Pardew's men.

Of far more importance to Ferguson and his team, it would also consolidate a six-point lead over Chelsea at the top of the table.

As ever on international weeks, the United manager will hope his squad returns from their various commitments in tact.

Wayne Rooney is expected to have recovered from the ankle injury that kept him out of England's defeat to Spain but one change from the side which beat Tottenham is inevitable now goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar has confirmed he will be out for a fortnight with a broken nose.

Tomasz Kuszczak is the automatic replacement, the Poland international set to make only his third Premiership start since signing from West Brom in the summer.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Column: Ole Gunnar

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer - apparently known as 'The Legend' among his team-mates - explains in a one-off column how vital experience is in Europe...

Here at United there has always been competition between the young lads and the older players. It’s a really important and healthy aspect of life at a football club.

When you’re a young player, you want to take the older guy’s position. When you’re older, you think to yourself ‘I’m going to keep up with this young lad and he’s not going to take my position’. Even something as simple as running in training, you want to prove you are at least as fit. It’s good because they can learn a thing or two from us older lads, but we are pushed on and motivated by them.

It’s that mix of youth and experience which could be vital as we approach the Champions League last 16 matches against Lille this month. If we can prove we have learned from the mistakes of recent seasons, we could last the distance.

Of course, you must have belief in yourself – which young players never lack, they believe they are unbeatable. And we also have experience; myself, Scholesy, Giggsy, Gaz, have all won it, while Henrik and Edwin have had success with other clubs.

Experience counts. At this stage of the Champions League, if you make a mistake you could be out. That’s a lot of pressure. But if you’ve been through it before, you know what is required. Don’t get me wrong, you could be 40 and still make mistakes, you’re not infallible.

But the more you play football the more you learn from mistakes. You realise that you can’t launch the ball forward if you’re chasing a goal. You need patience and the belief that, until the referee has blown the whistle, winning is still possible. Our younger lads have had some tough lessons in recent seasons, but I think we’re looking strong now.

The manager spoke about our style of play in Europe – should we be patient or should we stick to United’s traditions of attacking football? His response was right, it has to be both. Our experience can help us implement that. There are certain rules in European football that you have to follow. Away from home, you have to silence the crowd. At home, you have to get your fans going, but not panic and think ‘we need a goal inside 20 minutes’.

It’s a matter of reading the pattern of a play as well. You know when you’ve got the opposition by the throat and you can pile on the pressure, but you also recognise any team will have at least a ten-minute period where they create chances. At these times you have to soak up the pressure, keep possession, and maybe the best medicine is to have a shot on goal to dampen the mood of their players and fans and lift your own supporters.

As much as ability, belief and experience, there are between eight and ten teams who can win the Champions League this season, so you need luck. Even if you play the best football and you’re the best team, your name won’t automatically be on the trophy. Look at some of our defining moments in Europe. In the 2002 semi final against Bayer Leverkusen, Seba hits the post, they counter and Neuville scores. 2-2, instead of 3-1. That’s the way it can work.

Luck permitting, I think we have the squad to do well. We’ve got depth and a wealth of international players. Last year was a major disappointment and we want to make up for it. And there’s a few of us for which this could be the last chance, you never know. You have to grasp your chances when they come, they might not come again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">C'mon now Nick, there are some extreme reactions but I stand by my statement that the collective display was progressively awful from minute 7 onwards. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but we're through? why the 'woe is us' whinging? oh dear, our reserve team wasn't amazing. hardly cause to tear up season tickets. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because I expect more and better from them when they pull on the shirt & the collective mess that occurred after the 3rd goal went in ****es me off.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">when our backups conspire to tear a team apart and then fall so dramatically by the wayside its going to provoke a response, because the fear is that when we need them, even when playing amongst players of a higher level, they won't be there to do what needs to be done. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

again, and i'm baffled people are missing this point, when are we going to 'need' to throw 8 reserves into a crucial game? when has Fletch let us down when stepping in this season? when has Wes (bar Fulham)? Ole? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Individually or when two have played they've not let us down, I don't think I said that they have, but start with me being ****ed off and cue a slew of worst case scenarios running through my imagination where we actually get injuries to a series of key players.

I realise that its irrational to an extent but everyone in this thread knows for a fact that when we've seen injury scares through the course of the season and when people were bemoaning our lack of depth last summer, that regardless of potential talent a number of our 2nd stringers have the unnerving tendency to be inconsistent for spells and some are notorious for the errors they make, and that when we're presented with a performance of any number of them to be so poor *collectively* that the prospect of say 4 of them going into an injury hit first-team sparks concern about the overall effect if such a situation occurs.

I doubt that was coherent and I'll probably be more measured in the morning but thats the general jist of what I think I'm trying to get at. I'm not saying X, X & X out, I don't expect our second stringers to collectively play like a top end Champions League side when they're thrown into the mix en-masse, and I'm relieved that we've won and are through, but I do want them to show that they are competant individually and collectively and that didn't happen tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikey G:

you've won the league ffs. Chelsea are playing naff </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So are we. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you're not the ones having to do the catching.

Just realised that I bet our result against chelsea will decide whether you win or not. icon_biggrin.gificon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by the_cote_kid:

Scholes is ok for tomorrow isnt he? BBC dont list him in your squad for some reason. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeh. weird that. What with him being suspended and all.

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Also now he doesnt start everygame and has improved both his strength and overall game is there that much Fletch hate about? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got outmuscled by Kaka?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

got to say, gave carrick some sh*t when he was bedding in as he didnt look up to the job but his partnership with scholes has been a joy to watch, they compliment each others game in such a different way to scholes/keane but it seems arguably as effective. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if I could be arsed I'd go back to early season and repost all my frankly FANTASTIC posts in support of Ronnie, Carrick and Fletcher. icon_cool.gif

hang your head in shame likes of Keyser/Taz. SHAME I tell ya.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nathan mufc fan:

Fb read about our tactics. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good read, that's pretty much the idea I've had in my head for a while now. I just have a feeling we try to shoehorn all 3 of Scholes, Carrick and Hargreaves into the side though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

wp Nick icon14.gif, good work if a little overly-stretched out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i still stand by the stretching them out method (so to speak). got some decent discussion going early on. just need to start them earlier really, maybe cull a few awards too.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

why would ruud want to come back? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why would we want him back? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*bites tongue* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*holds Mika back*

"Leave it mate, he's not worth it"

Archived