The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

Bob Wilson way too good for that team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point.

Tony Wilson it is then.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyPolack:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryno:

Come on good news. I could do with some just before my birthday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The best news you could possibly hear is that your mum and dad were not related. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awww you still waiting for that to happen to you?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by olipepper:

something that i dont think has been mentioned yet

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Man Utd accept £12M Real Madrid bid for Van Nistelrooy

Manchester United are expected to accept a £12 million bid from Real Madrid today for striker Ruud van Nistelrooy.

United chief David Gill wants the transfer completed by tomorrow, which is when he leaves Manchester for a week-long vacation.

It's understood United are prepared to agree to a £12 million fee for the Dutchman, which will not include any of the add-ons that the Premiership club had been previously pushing for.

Van Nistelrooy has made it clear to United that he does not want to return for preseason training, which he is scheduled to join on Monday. An announcement from both clubs could be made tomorrow.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

cue fergie confirm torres transfer icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

edited

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Who'll take our penalties when Ruud goes?

Ronaldo? Or is that too much pressure to heap on him? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scholes? icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by elmonzo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">United teenager called up to under-21 squad

August 2, 2006

Eighteen-year-old Manchester United midfielder Darron Gibson has been called into Don Givens’s Republic of Ireland under-21 squad for next week’s vital Uefa Championship qualifiers against Greece and Belgium over the next four weeks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gif

Full squad by next summer, I'm telling y'all

• 2 weeks later...

I know that we've technically got O'Shea & Brown who can fill in there in the absence of GNev but if Simpson's going out on loan to Antwerp we should probably hang on to Bardsley until Christmas before letting him head out on loan.

For the record I've not written him off - he's solid but unspectacular which for a 21 year old full-back in the Prem is actually pretty good. I don't know if he'll last in the longer term only because people are so keen to talk up Simpson, who does look promising, but we'd be more secure using Bardsley in GNevs absence at the minute. The fact that he didn't cope badly in Europe last season is also a plus.

My only other concern is that he's apparently got a touch of Kieron Richardson's "I'm the big man" syndrome frmo certain reports. Lets hope both of them wise up and dump this affliction.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

better than saying "nah wasn't good enough" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the possibility is the vast majority of fans dont actually know much about Mascherano at all and will just follow Gill's comments that he's actually not very good and more suited to a club of West Ham's level

Never underestimate the stupidity of the average person </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If they buy the Glazers have money and are great for the club stuff then yeah you can see them buying the Mascherano stuff without batting an eyelid.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

I can't remember the opponents/dates or whatever but I definitely remember there being a few games where he's hit the woodwork more than once </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everton at home in 04/05 springs to my mind.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deanb291186:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

r jones >>>> d jones

on the night </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definitly, wasnt impressed with Jonah at all, the midfield was ***** all night, even when we went to 451 they were going through it too easy, only in extra time it stopped when they tired

Didnt think Barnes did too bad but he looked so nervous, I thought he was left footed? He scored a goal in the ressies with his left and was putting in loads of balls with his left yet he kept using his right last night to dribble, he showed enough pace but wasnt physically strong enough to hold of Otsemebor when he went past him.

Think the chants about having Paul Scholes brother on the wing got to him icon_biggrin.gif

Shawcross looked good when he came on, very commanding and assured </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i couldn't work out if he was left or right footed, it was clear he always wanted to cut inside onto his right foot to cross though. icon_biggrin.gif

looks a decent prospect though, id never heard of him until last night

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2006/11/09/richardson...k_in_neutral_as.html

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">United's B-list fail to realise potential

Kieran Richardson is one of a handful of Man United fringe players whose careers are stagnating.

Daniel Taylor - November 9, 2006 01:56 AM

When Manchester United were taken to extra-time in their Carling Cup tie at Crewe Alexandra two weeks ago Sir Alex Ferguson angrily remonstrated with his players and told Kieran Richardson he would be spending time in the reserves. The manager's face was puce and Gary Neville could guess what had happened in the dressing room. "He loses his temper like that about three times a season," said United's captain. "I was watching on television at home and I could see his anger."

Ferguson told the media after Tuesday's fourth-round defeat at Southend that there would be "no suicides or mass sackings" but it is difficult to believe his temper cannot have been *****ed again by the manner in which Richardson and fellow B-listers such as John O'Shea and Wes Brown offered the impression of players whose Old Trafford careers were in danger of stagnation.

At intervals Ferguson has spoken of this trio as accomplished performers at the highest level and "the future of this club". The recent evidence, however, is beginning to suggest that all three are heading towards a crossroads that will decide whether they are to remain in the shadows of more senior players or whether, as Ferguson claims, they can establish themselves as first-team regulars in the games that truly matter.

Ferguson's dismay at some of the individual performances at Roots Hall may have been greater than any disappointment about going out of the competition. Richardson, in particular, is a concern at a point in the midfielder's career when his emergence has never materialised as had been anticipated. He, like O'Shea, was indicted by Roy Keane during that diatribe on MUTV 13 months ago and, despite a reluctance to admit as much publicly, people at Old Trafford are bewildered by his lack of progress since he scored twice on his senior England debut against the United States in May 2005.

It seems a long time since Richardson was touted as the possible answer to England's notorious problem position on the left of midfield but, in mitigation, he at least seems to recognise the reasons for Ferguson's disquiet. The player's father recently rang one tabloid newspaper to ask, in a civil fashion, for its reporters not to be too hard on his son. The message was: "He is still young and he knows he has to improve in a lot of areas and work harder."

The case of Brown is particularly intriguing given that he remains a favourite of the Old Trafford crowd and, according to Ferguson, is the "best natural defender in the country". Yet it has become apparent that Nemanja Vidic has overtaken him as Rio Ferdinand's first-choice partner. Brown has undoubtedly suffered from a run of serious injuries but there remains the feeling that he has never quite fulfilled his potential.

The same can be said of O'Shea, who was substituted at Southend and is becoming the player the fans seem to dislike the most. That mantle used to be worn by Darren Fletcher but his form is improving whereas O'Shea's has steadily deteriorated since his breakthrough season. His sympathisers will argue that Ferguson has used him in just about every position apart from goalkeeper and centre-forward. Ferguson has asked him to make central midfield his regular place but it was at full-back that the Republic of Ireland international once excelled.

Overall, Ferguson is entitled to believe his squad is not far off matching Chelsea's for strength in depth - how, for example, would Jose Mourinho compensate for John Terry being injured in February? - but there is obvious cause for concern at Old Trafford about the number of back-up players who seem to be treading water.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

I can understand why he was ****ed off originally when you were swapping it rather than offering it, but why has he still got the hump if you apologised and let him have the ticket anyway? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He didn't get the ticket in the end some other guy did.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Reports in Sweden claim Manchester United are due to sign Henrik Larsson on a three-month loan.

Larsson's current club Helsingborgs have called a press conference for Friday afternoon when a big announcement will be made.

According to the Swedish media, the announcement will concern Helsingborgs agreeing to loan Larsson to United for three months.

United are currently short of striking options, with Wayne Rooney and Louis Saha the only recognised forwards available to Sir Alex Ferguson.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is injured, Alan Smith is still short of match fitness and Giuseppe Rossi is on loan at Newcastle United.

Ferguson recently hinted he could sign a striker in January and a possible three-month loan deal for Larsson would be suitable to all parties.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Ok quiz, what position was Park when he first played for the South Korean national team? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Left back in the changing rooms LOLZ

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

£42 to see Fulham, jesus.

Oh well \o/, keef will there be room in your tidy little motor to pick me up? good luck parking around Craven Cottage too. I may just get the train will be easier than a lift.

Happy birthday Fergie icon_cool.gif

Keep Gabby ffs, else Silvestre will be closer to the first XI. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure we can jam you in somewhere.

As for parking i'll stick it somewhere central probably

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Does Razor Eddie look like Jesus in person or is it just the angle of the photo? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you heard of the Unseen University?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The reserves relegate West Ham </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

does that assume that they're still to-be-relegated at that stage?

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

united offering free parking for audi drivers

find a 'spare' audi badge and lob it on your car. bob's your uncle, free parking icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yay \o/

Now only if i had money for gas from Romania to Manchester icon_frown.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

nicely stolen refwatch

we hit 100 goals a few weeks back, strange really </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we haven't had as many opportunities to bolster our tally against diddy teams as you (and fatty in particular) have tbf

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

he's not had that bad a season. there was a bit of an obvious carry-over from the ridiculous way he was rushed back for the world cup, a couple of dips in form which every striker goes through and he's been overshadowed to an extent by Ronnie and other players. what's really important here for me is that it's how young players react to setbacks and periods of below-par form that is crucial, and he's come storming back in the last month or so with brilliant performances in all competitions, right when we've needed him to do so.

23 goals so far with a bagload of assists is a career season in pure statistical terms too, and while i appreciate stats don't tell the full picture, i certainly feel that some of the bad press he's had this season has been way over the top. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd agree with virtually all that apart from the bit in bold. I'd give you some brilliant moments certainly, but i'm struggling to think of one performance i'd rate as brilliant. I obviously won't have seen as many games as you, but even going off what others have said for the ones i've missed i don't recall one that you could call that level. Nearest contenders would be Milan second half, and maybe watford in the semi, both good certainly, but brilliant?

I also think you missed that he's at least partly suffering by his own high standards he's set in previous seasons for us, so the criticism is because he's not playing like the best player in the country every week, rather than that he's actually been rubbish.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wilbie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daaaaave:

you know who you've been linked with that I think could have helped tonight? javier mascherano. I know he's probably out of your price range but I think he could have neutralized kaka much better than carrick.

how much did you pay for carrick again? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not gonna get a reaction out of me tonight David. icon_wink.gif

Lets look at it realistically, we were never going to get Mascherano when he would have been realistically available to us, purely due to the player ownership thing. Was a shrewd move by your lot taking advantage of the problems it caused West Ham and you guys should be applauded for that icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why do you bother responding to such trolling? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, Gregg stop biting.

Smith is fine for back up and if we can bring someone in without selling him (or if Saha can stay fit) then I'd keep him. Whether Smith will be happy being back up (despite the fact he'll probably still make 20 starts a season) I'm not sure. I guess he'll have to be.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

oh dear, oh dear </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ffs i cant beleive you have THAT saved on your pc you ****ing stalker

Archived