The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Kucszcsak sticking out like the sorest thumb ever there icon_biggrin.gif

Speaking of which, Sore thumbs. Do they stick out? I mean, have you ever seen a thumb and gone, "wow, that baby is sore"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nicely done icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seconded! icon14.gif

So Kuszczak...pretty much what Nick said.

As long as its only a couple of mill fair enough. If it stalls on Rossi going to them on loan then I'd rather have Luke Steele as backup or going in another direction.

Anyway he's not signed yet so we're still in wait and see mode really. Sounds as though Ruud is increasingly likely to head to Madrid in the next few days though icon_frown.gif

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

They just read my letter out on SSN \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The i'd rather Fergie and Ronaldo left as we are now screwed without Ruud?

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by olipepper:

so how much monye will we have, assuming the 10m deal for ruud goes through? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to SSN we get the money in 3 installments, so probably not much more than we have now.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James M:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by olipepper:

we shouldve signed bodmer tbh. he has a 5m release clause iirc so wouldnt put us back anything really, and is still young whilst proving himself at lille to be one of the best french midfielders around </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if he has a release clause that low it is CRIMINAL that we haven't signed him. mbiffffffffffb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

its a £5.5m release clause, i just dug up the article that stated it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Manchester United are reportedly ready to launch a summer raid for Lille star Jean Makoun as they bid to resolve their midfield problems.

The Red Devils have been linked with a number of targets after failing to fill the void left by Roy Keane's departure, and Makoun has stated that his representatives have already met with the English giants regarding a summer transfer.

The 22-year-old recently starred in the African Cup of Nations for Cameroon and caught the eye of Sir Alex Ferguson in the two UEFA Champions League fixtures between the two sides earlier in the season.

Now Makoun says that he fully expects United to make a bid in the summer.

"I know that United are interested in me," Makoun is quoted as saying in The News of the World.

"They sent a scout to our game against Monaco last week, my agents have met United.

"Apparently they want to sign me for next season.

"There is no concrete offer for Lille but I know United will make one at the end of the season."

The Red Devils are also believed to be keen on Lyon star Mahamadou Diarra, St Etienne's Didier Zokora and Deportivo's Aldo Duscher, and yet another candidate has emerged in the form of Makoun's Lille team-mate Mathieu Bodmer.

The 23-year-old signed a new contract in December to ward off interest from Arsenal, but the player has revealed the new deal has a buy-out clause which could be attractive to United.

"I've a clause in my contract that allows me to go if a club offers £5.5 million," said Bodmer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hes a great destructive midfielder and has also scored 4 in 3 this season. well done yet again fergie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

Haha Acou how much t.v do you watch ffs? icon_biggrin.gif I can't remember hardly any quotes from the Office and I only watched it Monday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont watch that much icon_biggrin.gif

But I have probably seen every episode of the Office about 30 times?

And Partridge about half that

• 1 month later...

"He admits that he was given the option to leave during the January transfer window during 2006, with an opportunity to join former Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier at Lyon. However to his credit remained at the club and has since proven himself to be a useful member of the team."

hahahah

you misspelt "liability in" as "useful member of"

• 1 month later...

Another very good performance that was all the better when you see the conditions it was played in.

Our full backs probably spent more time in Blackburns half then ours and Rio and Vida continue their lean and mean partnership.

Giggs i thought struggled to get into the game in the first half but was much better in the second. Carrick played some nice passes and even though i joked about him making a lot of passes a yard to the side for Scholes that isnt a bad thing.

Saha was very good as well, some of his running and hold up play was great and Rooney was good getting involved with a lot of things but i still cant believe he hasnt come out with a couple to his name, two of those chances he missed.

Scholes ran the show in the first half and was great in the second and MoM would usually have been his but Ronaldo was fantastic as well. Constant outlet for us, created a tap in for Rooney(How did he miss?) and no Blackburn player could get near him. Some of the one twos, bits of skills and fantastic runs.

Tough choice but after thinking about it i'm going,

MoM: Cristiano Ronaldo

2nd: Paul Scholes

Oh yeah and O'Shea looked good as well.

Another good performance, another win, even though i didnt think it would be our day as the game went on, another clean sheet and still top of the league. We cant ask for any more at the moment.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by byebecks:

You'll be happy to know that i am goin to the Chelsea game now and i'll just have to tell her that she needs to leave on Sunday mornin icon14.gif Doubt it'll go down well but it needs to be done!

Got 3 Chelsea tickets and 6 Everton tickets this mornin as well as my 12 Benfica tickets! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Give me a Chelsea ticket. I know where you live.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

sla, wp on wishing an injury on one of our players, twat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If its any consolation, I wish injury on all your players. And Pennant. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All ? Not nice.

And here's me only hating on the two Scousers. Gerrard and No-Neck Bellamy.

that's part of the doom scenario, a much more realistic part than the 'omgz they've made us financially secure' is. not having a penny to spend on transfers, season ticket prices going up, hardcore fans being alienated, club staff being laid off (leading to the current ticket office fiascos) - all parts of the 'doom scenario'.

if you can counter that with evidence in the glazers' favour, be my guest.

• 3 weeks later...

Right, a quick change of subject if possible:

Question: Who shall be leaving OT this winter and summer '07?

What got me thinking of this was my FM game where I signed a few players in places Fergie is probobly looking to improve on. I signed Mavuba from Bordeaux, Huntelaar in the summer of 07, and Jesus Navas of Sevilla at the same time.

Here's what I think:

Goalkeepers

VDS to obviously stay, but after that we have two highly talented keepers in Foster and Kurzceck. How long will they tolerate being sub/loaned out for? Both are also the same age. I think one will leave at some stage. Oh, and Timmeh obv out of here.

Defence:

Hargreaves to sign at some stage. This would possibly give an overload in central midfield which could see either O'Shea or Silvestre leave.I'd hedge my bets on it being Silvestre as, O'Sheas versitility unfortunately makes him somewhat of an asset.

I also have a sneaky suspision that Heinze may depart in the summer. He's now 29, which is about the age that United sell their most bankable assets (Becks, RVN, Veron, Stam etc...). Also, There seems to be no place left for Gerard Pique, who turns 20 in the summer. I think he'll leave.

Midfield:

Hargreaves to come in obv, but I also think that another winger may appear, due to the fact that Giggsy maybe wont play so many games next season. Nani of Sporting Lisbon, or Jesus Navas of Sevilla would be ace. Richardson to leave, as well as the two Jones's. As detailed before, perhaps O'shea, but I think that would be dependent on Silvestre's future and Hargreaves coming in.

Fowards

I think we're screaming out for a finisher (hence the short term Larsson signing), and there are big rumours that Fergie will move for Klass-Jan Huntelaar in the summer. Apparently Ajax dont want to sell until then. This would leave us with the following: KJH, Saha, Rooney, Solskjaer, Smith, Rossi. Unfortunately, something's gotta give there too. Smith is the obvious candidate to leave IMO, being the weakest of the 6. He would also be looking for first team football which we probobly could'nt give.

Also there is the question of Rossi. Where can he be accomidated? He's no longer a prospect for the future, he's a now player who will want games, and unfortunately (apart from Ole), the other 4-5 are all young too. Maybe he'll be sold?

Anyway, what are your thoughts on all this?

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Premiership clubs could count the cost as loophole allows stars to leave

Why the likes of Frank Lampard, Ryan Giggs and John Terry will soon be able to buy their way out of their contracts.

David OrnsteinJanuary 18, 2007 12:30 AM

Several of the Premiership's leading players will be in a position to walk away from their clubs this summer by exploiting a clause in Fifa-adopted European Union law. Article 17 of the regulations for the status and transfer of players allows the likes of Frank Lampard and John Terry to buy out their contracts at Chelsea and then negotiate a move elsewhere.

The former Heart of Midlothian defender Andy Webster made history by terminating his contract at the end of last season. Fifa ratified Webster's move to Wigan on September 4, seemingly creating a legal precedent for the conduct of international football transfers. The ruling utilised suggests that Hearts would only be entitled to an amount equal to Webster's salary for the remainder of his contract as compensation.

This legislation could allow a raft of top Premiership names to follow suit. Referred to as the "protected period", if a player's contract was signed prior to reaching the age of 28 then, provided he has completed three entire seasons or three entire years, he is permitted to end the deal with 15 days' notice. If the contract was signed after his 28th birthday, only two seasons or years must be served. "The protected period refers to any players regardless of their age," said a Fifa spokesman, responding to a misconception within the game that the rule is applicable only to players aged 28 and over.

In addition to Terry and Lampard, Chelsea's Arjen Robben, Manchester United's Alan Smith, Liverpool's Xabi Alonso and Arsenal's Freddie Ljungberg are among a list of top-flight players in a position to take advantage of the stipulation come the end of this season.

Regardless of the fact that he may immediately negotiate with a new employer, as a free agent he personally must pay compensation to his former club and, although that fee is officially decided by a Football League or Premier League appeals committee, it is likely to be the amount that remained in his contract.

A potential problem, which is believed to be the reason why no English-based player has yet to capitalise on the legislation, is the likely expense incurred. Lampard, for example, would be forced to pay Chelsea about £12m for his remaining two years. However, the clause could become a crucial negotiating tactic used by players and agents to obtain a better deal.

"Article 17 is only likely to be used as a last resort [for a unhappy player]," said the sports lawyer Graham Shear. "I feel that its use as a strategy to leave a contract early as a free agent is problematic.

"The interesting question in this particular game of poker is how a club would react if one of their players served notice as part of a negotiating ploy. At the top end of the market, the amounts you're talking about and the potential risks are too big. But a lower-profile player may be able to balance the risks against the potential compensation payable and indeed his prospective earnings."

The agent Jerome Anderson added: "If there are genuine reasons for a player to want to buy out his contract that is only a good thing for footballers."

Twelve players who could buy out contracts

Frank Lampard, Chelsea

Contract: Five years, July 2004

Protected period ends: May 2007

John Terry, Chelsea

Contract: Five years, November 2004

Protected period ends: November 2007

Arjen Robben, Chelsea

Contract: Five years, March 2004

Protected period ends: March 2007

Ricardo Carvalho, Chelsea

Contract: Three years, July 2004

Alan Smith, Manchester Utd

Contract: Five years, May 2004

Protected period ends: Has already ended

Paul Scholes, Manchester Utd

Contract: Two years, August 2005

Ryan Giggs, Manchester Utd

Contract: Two years, summer 2005

Gary Neville, Manchester Utd

Contract: Four years, November 2004

Protected period ends: Has already ended

Freddie Ljungberg, Arsenal

Contract: Four years, July 2005

Gilberto Silva, Arsenal

Contract: Four years, September 2005

Protected period ends: September 2007

Luis García, Liverpool

Contract: Four years, August 2004

Xabi Alonso, Liverpool

Contract: Five years, August 2004

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeh, but then if the south coast club cannot fund the development of the kid, then i don't see why the south coast club should be able to moan about "losing" the kid.

The problem with the Academy rules are that they base it on an idealistic Utopian structure.

It relies on the fact that:

- Every Club will invest the same amount of money

- Every Club will have the best possible coaches

- Every area has the same amount of quality players.

- Every player will be happy to join a club within their catchment area.

It's a pile of crap and it's flawed immediately from it's very concept.

There is no reason why a club like Torquay cannot produce a good player of course. But some of these clubs need to downscale massively while other clubs, the bigger clubs could benefit from upscaling or widening their catchment area.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Did I just hear right on SSN that Lille are trying to get the game annulled due to Giggs' goal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably. Surprised the French haven't wanted World War 2 replayed as Hitler was unfare.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

can anyone recommend me some united books to get? What are the tony o'neil books like? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>We are the famous Man United

class book

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

Start transporting people by canal boat \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

actually does happen icon_biggrin.gif

if i didn't have my bizarre fear of going on boats, it'd be a fantastic way to get there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

bloody hell i need a beer, now </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On your cornflakes eh?

Barca last year, Milan the year before, Porto the year before that, Juve in 03, both Real Madrid and Leverkusen in 2002.

All teams going for the title in their divisions that made the final. On the flip side ofc, the side that I haven't mentioned in those years were teams who had litle to play for towards the end of the campaign, so I guess it works both ways.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

The Manchester United thread 2007/2008 - Champions

easeh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs I think

Archived