The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gripper:

As I have not yet received that file from the Man Utd researcher </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dear lord what a poor show, I did mine aaaaaages ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

About 1 hour before the deadline, and missing out half of the academy players? icon14.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by olipepper:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pago:

so you are looking for a young viera sort of player. ivory coast had a leggy centre mid didnt they?

but then any players who did even half decent at teh WC will have had their values doubled.

maybe an african nation that didnt get to the finals? nigeria, cameroon? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah you get my jist. doesnt have to be african tbh. but just not someone expected or that has been good (not amazing) at the WC so they wont cost loads and loads and could turn out as a gem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Someone like, say, Eric Djemba-Djemba? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hah, just the example I was going to suggest.

Basically oli, I might have trusted Les Kershaw to find someone decent and cheap but I don't expect Martin Ferguson to be so lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

bar tickets, my net contribution to the Glazer retirement fund has been £1.20 (or whatever a coffee costs). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Made a helluva difference, too, hasn't it ? icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nistelrooy_uk_10:

Think I'd be happy with senna and tevez/torres. obviously mascherano and a striker would be lively, but with his price being quoted as over £20m, can't really see it happening. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lively icon_biggrin.gif

lovely, obviously.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fazpac:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fazpac:

Im still worried that fergie isnt fussed about getting a new striker on board. Its a bit dangerous to rely too much on Saha and Ole. Rossi, i think, needs a year on loan to a premiership side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Smith? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're looking at a couple of months before hes fulling fit and gets back into the grove of things </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd say that's a worse case scenario given that he's already in training, and even if that timescale is correct he only misses the first 6 weeks of the season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">See I have no problem with us paying that at all really.

RvN + Mikel - Carrick = 10m. I'm fairly sure incentive/appearance-based payments are always budgeted for yearly, so they're not really considered outgoings this summer.

So that's £10m of profit from transfers this summer to spend, without even going cap in hand to the brothers grimm for some funds. Bearing in mind also that another midfielder coming in would surely mean at least one more player leaving (JOS, So Fine, maybe even Fletcher, all would get a few million). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Mikel and Ruud money isn't all coming in this summer either, so regardless of which bit of the Carrick money doesn't go out yet, it all comes out in the wash. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like James said, I suspect the guaranteed portion of the Carrick fee will be in installments as well, so that balances itself out ultimately.

Has it been confirmed that the Ruud fee is in installments btw? Suppose we're unlikely to ever find out under private ownership now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

oh ffs, kusczack only on loan in exchange for 2 good prospects AND future fee?

given that ben foster will probably be good enough to come back and be number 2 next season we've effectively paid west brom for 2 of our players.

you couldn't make this kind of crap up </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where are people getting this future fee ******** from? It's not been mentioned by either club afaik, and in any case, if there is one it'll only be paid if he does well enough for us to want to keep him icon_confused.gif

'With a view to a permanent deal' doesn't automatically mean there will be one, nor does it guarantee a fee.

You're just making no sense there at all gonch. If Foster is going to be good enough to come back and be number 2 next season, surely it makes perfect sense to get Kuszczak on a year-long loan rather than permanently? And Steele and McShane aren't 'prospects'. They had no future at Old Trafford whatsoever.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Has no-one even skipped to the very end of this, where they talk to Dave Sexton and Fat Ron? It's worth it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

hahahaha Marshy's scared icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

mate, i walked half way through deansgate yesterday before being told i was in the wrong bloody half of the city to get to where i had to be. of course i'm ****ing scared icon_biggrin.gif

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Spurs Strikers - Goals/Games in all competitions for the Tottenham

Games Sub

Started Appearences Goals Ratio

Dimitar Berbatov 3 0 1 0.33

Jermain Defoe 74 26 38 0.38

Mido 28 10 14 0.37

Robbie Keane 127 32 62 0.39

</pre>

Doesnt really mean anything but i was bored.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deanb291186:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

"They carried on to the degree where they actually thought they should have a say in the running of the football club."

jesus wept, talk about ****sing on the fans eh Alex </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"I urge every one to become members of Shareholders United, it is important for Fans to have a say in their club"

Sir Alex Ferguson, 2004

That used to be on the frontpage of the SU site icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If only someone in the press had the balls to confront him with that. Cringeworthy hypocrisy icon_frown.gif

Erm, if the inbred ****** doesn't end up wanting/needing the Wigan ticket, I'll claim first option btw, if that's ok

I suppose Ole could start after some good performances for norway, thought he was heavily off the pace against Watford.

As for midfield, I guess Carrick is going to be given the main defensive role, and O shea will just get in his way. But carrick/giggsy midfield doesnt have any bite to it.

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

And pray tell, why would I go to that scumhole after watching the game at OT? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To enjoy the celebrating scousers

No, them sponsoring United means that I wont be using any of their products. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As above.

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Don't recall you ever saying we would lose a game.

Plus you are wrong loads of the time too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm an eternal optimist icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Nick - I thought it sounded a lot better than OT does. Whether that was because our fans were there aswell (usually our away support is better than our home 'support') or that Celtic lived upto their media hype, I can't tell as I was only listening to it (hate not having a TV at the moment). But I must be honest and say it seemed like certain people from this thread couldn't wait to jump on anyone mentioning the atmosphere.

Take the second half of the Fulham game, the game was dead as a contest, and the crowd matched it, infact the majority of the noise from the East Stand that second half was directed at the Fulham fans who were still making a reasonable amount of noise even at 4-1 down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, that was Fulham at home. I dare say an equivalent game for Celtic - say Dunfermline at home or something - would be equally flat.

Games always seem louder on the radio than on TV and, especially, than when there in real life. Watching on tv last night, the only time there was genuine noise was right at the start and then at the end with all the incidents. There were looooooong periods of relative silence in between, and the commentators made it worse by jerking off every time the Celtic fans piped up, even though you'd not heard a peep out of them for the past ten minutes.

Obviously you can't tell exactly what it's like by watching on tv, but I'll take James' word for it - iirc 'no better than your average big Premiership fixture for the most part' were his words.

• 2 weeks later...

saha and rooney both looked knackered to me, shame as we cant really afford to rest either for the forseeable future.

ronaldo was brilliant. first stumble/dive, call it whatever you want but he knew what he was doing and pulled it off brilliantly, very natural. second one he just leaves his leg there and brings himself down, probably done 50 times a week in the premiership so not sure what the big deal is. as shown on motd, he did also stay on his feet on a couple of occassions when he could have easily hit the deck so its not all comedy lanuching from him.

heinze needs to be dropped. for someones who's supposedly in the side ahead of evra due to being better in the air, against chelsea and now boro hes been next to useless. red nev at fault for the goal as well for the rash dive in but henizes header utterly inexplicable.

genuinely stunned were 6 ahead but its getting a bit exciting this.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

wahey \O/

worked it out yet? the first word is the same as the actual song, if that helps </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only song I know with 'hark' as the first word is 'hark the herald angels sing'.

However the chant doesn't seem to fit that song.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rage1999:

ok i was drinking in some pub behind the away end which ive forgot the name off, half united and half geordies and it looked like it was about to kick off just before we left. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Strawberry?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

he'll play tomorrow, BELIEVE </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bling suscribing to the Mart way of thinking icon_cool.gif

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

John O'Shea has taken some stick from us fans at times but you look back at his amazing debut season at left back, the fact hes nothing but steady at right back and some of the all important goals hes scored for us. Happy Birthday O'Shea.

Not to mention he looks amazed thats hes playing for Man Utd each and everytime he wears the shirt. You see him do interviews and he just looks so suprised at everything that happens.

Sheasy icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am actually starting to go "easy" on criticizing him icon_smile.gif

But for the love of god never play in the middle son icon14.gif

• 1 month later...

Archived