The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goon:

it wouldnt be the first time utd pay over the odds for an english player. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if that's a dig at rooney i am going to reach down the internet and smack you. hard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He could be on about Rio,

Or Smith, or Andy Cole......?

I dont know

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The City of Manchester Stadium is already gearing up for the forthcoming season with the installation of huge new signs on the both sides of the stadium.

The neon lettering, in blue, of course, that reads 'Manchester City Football Club' has just been hoisted into place on the outside of the Colin Bell Stand. The same wording is about to be put into position on the East Stand, giving the Club the two largest neon signs in Manchester.

The scaffolding will remain in place while work continues on the signs, with the Club anticipating that they will be switched on before the Thomas Cook Trophy match against Porto on August 12th. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\o/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Only when I see you Rich.

Man, I don't know, I was SO sure he'd sign and you lot were so against it, no not happening, in my heart I was sure and now it feels like I've been kicked in the head.

COME ONE A LAST MINUTE DECENT SIGNING </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who do you see us being linked with for a last minute deal Mart?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Releasing Saha for the goal and playing Carrick through for Saha's second chance shows how devastating Ronaldo can be when he's making the right decisions.

If he did that on a consistent basis he could easily be in the top 3/4 players in the world. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

exactly. hes improving no end and all round has been more or less our best player so far this season. but he still gives the ball away too much for my liking and is too single minded/selfish at times. i guess i prefer my roy keane type never give the ball away players

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MarkH:

Gents, I thought I would post this in here rather than opening a new thread.

I am coming to Old Trafford for the Eng - Macedonia game on Sat 7th Oct.

We are getting the train to Manchester Picadilly. How do i get to OT from there? I understand that there is a metro/train link to the station, does it run often?

The game is a 5pm kick off, so we should be out by 7pm. My train leaves picadilly at 7.50 - what is the best/quickest way to get back to picadilly?

Cheers guys, i have only drove to OT before, public transport scares me...

Any help appriciated.. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The tram station is inside the train station.

Trams run every 10 minutes or so.

You can get the Altrincham line & get off at the Old Trafford stop.

OR

Get the Eccles line & get off at Exchange Quay. You are on the opposite side of the stadium butthe walk is just as long. Trams are usually less packed on this line too as not as many people know you can get to OT that way.

Assuming the match finishes at 7pm your best bet is walking (fast icon_biggrin.gif) to the tram stop & getting on a tram there.

That should get you back to Piccadilly train station with about 15 minutes to spare.

Of course you could leave a bit earlier & avoid some of the queues, just don't mention doing that in here (except to BBB as he could give you some hints & tips).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Not forgotten by me.

Done my bit.. didn't buy a shirt. Then again only a real mongoloid would do that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ebay fakes icon_cool.gif

cheaper and doesn't go to glazer icon14.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rb:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson admits he still regrets not landing Owen Hargreaves this summer.

The Red Devils targeted the Bayern Munich midfielder throughout the close season, as they look to end Chelsea's recent dominance in The Premiership.

Despite Hargreaves claiming he would be keen on a move to Old Trafford, the Bundesliga champions resisted United's offers and have held onto him at the Allianz Arena.

The 25-year-old has suffered a broken leg since, but Ferguson still insists the acquisition of the Canadian-born player would provide him with a full complement of midfielders in his squad.

"If we had got Owen Hargreaves it would have given us a complete variation of the type of midfield players you need in the modern game," Ferguson told the League Managers' website.

"We focused on Michael Carrick and Owen right away. We got one and didn't get the other.

"We are disappointed we didn't get Owen but we have people like Darren Fletcher and John O'Shea developing. Paul Scholes has also returned, Ryan Giggs is showing his maturity and experience, which is helping everyone and you also have a younger player like Kieran Richardson."

But the fiery Scotsman also paid tribute to another of his midfielders, Park Ji-sung.

The energetic South Korean is currently out of action with ankle ligament damage and Ferguson says it has been a big loss for his squad.

"Ji-sung is probably one of the most under-rated players I have ever had at this club," the boss added.

"The players love him, even all the staff say 'you can't leave Park Ji-sung out of your team'. He has become a very important player."

Ferguson, now nearing his 20th anniversary at the United helm, will hope his team can continue their stellar start to the season against arch-rivals Liverpool on Sunday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

O'Shea developing? Into what? Cos it sure as hell ain't a premeiership calss footballer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

Is the location of Victor Chandler's offices relevant? (in a lateral kind of way *ahem*) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

He's only 3% down so he's not doing badly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">basically you're using a situation not just hypothetical but near-enough impossible, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it's as hypothetical as the opposite doom scenario. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what? icon_biggrin.gif

run that one by me then, because as far as i can see, the opposite doom scenario is already in full swing?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedRob:

Lippi getting a back room role apparently. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ffs why? just when everything is looking well balanced...

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Ruud: I was happy at United

Ruud van Nistelrooy has dismissed suggestions that he asked to leave Manchester United three times during his five-year stint at Old Trafford.

Sir Alex Ferguson agreed to sell van Nistelrooy to Real Madrid in July following a turbulent end to last season for The Dutchman.

Reports have claimed that van Nistelrooy was unhappy at United for a very long time, but he maintains that he only asked to leave at the end of last season after his relationship with Ferguson had completely broken down.

"I never made any transfer requests before. I made one request and the result of that is that I am playing in Madrid now," he explained.

"I control my own career. My agent didn't talk to Barcelona in 2003 concerning my future.

"Every season clubs came in for me but I never wanted to leave. But one thing I learned in football is that you never know what can happen.

"I always gave everything for United. I hope the supporters will remember me like that.

"My proudest moment is still the day we won the league in 2003."

Van Nistelrooy also admitted that he would love Real Madrid to draw Manchester United in the UEFA Champions League so he could return to Old Trafford.

"That would be a big game for me," he told United fanzine Red Issue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

RUUD :******************************************)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

I’ve got some very very very good news chaps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was over two hours ago and I believe we're still waiting ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

passing at the end was ridiculous icon_biggrin.gif

we really should have nailed one in, would have been the best move ever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like that Scholes goal against Panathinaikos I think? The chip after 30+ passes, so good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooooooh yes, I'm going to go watch that right now...

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

I've got your number mate, don't worry. Yeah it's first timers tradition to get the beer.

STELLA only or I'll set Keith on you </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Martin said that ? icon_biggrin.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Grand old Yorke finds new hunger for game under Keane....

The Times 31/3/07 - Matt Dickinson

“If I was such a playboy, how come I’m still going at my age?†Dwight Yorke asks, which is a fair point for a 35-year-old. He asks, too, how he can be such a dilettante if Roy Keane, the scourge of all big-time charlies, has made him a key component of the Sunderland team who are promising to be perhaps the greatest success story of the English season.

The North East club have climbed from the Coca-Cola Championship’s relegation zone to one point off automatic promotion and the rise is all the more fascinating for having Keane and Yorke at its heart. Scowling Irishman and an easy-going Tobagan make an unlikely pair.

If you believe the tales, Yorke appears to epitomise everything that Keane railed against during his irascible days as Manchester United captain, but the truth is more complex. And Keane knows better than anyone that appearances can be deceptive.

He could be brutally thuggish as a player but was a regular visitor to Bill Beswick, the sports psychologist, during his time at United and showed an open mind to yoga. He is an intelligent man and is proving to have the makings of a brilliant manager. He was bright enough to recognise that an enthused, ambitious Yorke could be a valuable signing, so he picked up the phone.

“There is one reason that I am here and that is purely down to Roy Keane,†Yorke said. “I was playing for Sydney and I had no desire to leave the lifestyle or the weather.

“I had previously been told through my agency that the likes of Cardiff [today’s opponents] were interested, but I didn’t need that. This division had always looked pretty tough and I had just come off the World Cup [where Trinidad & Tobago made their first appearance] and I thought that was the peak at my age.

“The gaffer and I had maybe spoken once since I left United, but then the call came through from him. He just said, ‘I’d love you to come and brighten up the place and bring your experience.’ And because it is Roy Keane, that is very flattering.†Yorke was on the next plane.

He says, only half-joking, that Keane needed someone who was not afraid of sitting down and talking to him. Just about everyone else at Sunderland is too wary of the man whose appearances in the occasional five-a-side can still put the players on edge. “Me and his assistant, we are the ones who cheer him up when he’s depressed,†Yorke said. “He likes that I can banter with him.†Yorke is not sure that anyone else dares.

Keane has been instilling self-belief, but also discipline. He left three players out of his team for missing the bus. “One look with those eyes can control a dressing-room,†Yorke said. “For a manager, that is quite a weapon.

“He has done everything that can be expected of him so far, although things have been going well, which makes his life easier — makes all our lives easier. We’ll see how things are when they don’t go so well.â€

Keane and Yorke were teammates for four seasons at Old Trafford, winning three consecutive titles. Yorke was brilliant in that first, treble-winning campaign, but Teddy Sheringham and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer are the ones whose names ring around Old Trafford because of their goals in the Champions League final at the Nou Camp. While he does not make a big deal of it, Yorke feels that his contribution is overlooked. Former teammates do say that he lost some of his enthusiasm after the treble, although Yorke believes that Sir Alex Ferguson judged him on perceptions.

“I was obviously in a very public relationship with Jordan [the model, with whom he had a son, Harvey],†he said. “I would be out on a Wednesday night and that would come out in the paper on Friday. Of course, the gaffer reads it and thinks, ‘He’s been out again.’ He’s, what, 65, and old-fashioned in his ways. He would like everyone to be like Paul Scholes or Gary Neville.â€

Yorke claims to have put in one last big effort, even giving up his international career, but Ferguson had bought Juan Sebastián Verón and Ruud van Nistelrooy and was determined to plough on with a one-man attack. “He wanted to play Scholes behind Van Nistelrooy and, no matter how I tried, he was set in establishing that formation,†Yorke said.

They left on good terms — Yorke leaves everyone on good terms — and Ferguson invited him to train at United when he needed to get fit for the World Cup finals last year. Yorke does admit to having lost his appetite for the game for a couple of years while at Blackburn Rovers and Birmingham City. That period followed the loss of his sister, Verline, to cancer.

Yorke’s career was stagnating, although he is still bitter over the ferocious tackle from Graeme Souness, his manager at Blackburn at the time, on the training ground. “It does not surprise me that he’s out of a job because almost every club he’s gone to he’s not done it as a manager,†he said. “He’s f***ed up most of the time.†It is a rare flash of anger from a famously laid-back soul.

Yorke is loving life again and being back in England allows him to visit Harvey, 5, who has various health complications, including blindness. “Only time will tell how much he will be able to see but he’s a very happy young man,†he said.

He has just returned from visiting his good friend, Brian Lara, the West Indies captain, at the cricket World Cup. I suggest that it was brave of his manager to let him out of the country. “The gaffer can trust me,†he said, albeit with a twinkle in his eyes. “I used to be easily led, but I am having to set an example these days.â€

He is managing to hold a place in central midfield, where he uses his comfort on the ball to good effect in a hurly-burly division. He has another 12 months on his contract and desperately hopes to spend it in the Barclays Premiership.

He acknowledges his debt to Keane, whose sense of humour can be as brutal as his tackles. When the United players were counting the days to Ferguson’s departure, none was more eager to usher him into retirement than the exiled Yorke.

Then came the day when the Scot called the players together and announced that he had decided to carry on. “That’s you f***edâ€, Yorkie,†Keane said. He was f***ed then but he is loving every minute of his, and Sunderland’s, renaissance.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

Giggs 4?

well it's true though i don't know who assited as i usually was too distracted by the awsome goals and scoreline icon_biggrin.gif

Did Heinze get 1 or 2? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

None.

Carrick, Smudge, Rooney, Ronnie, Ronnie, Carrick and Evra. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was Heinze who passed to Carrick for his 2nd. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ment assists icon_biggrin.gif Don't think Giggs got 4. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ronaldo assisted Carrick

Giggs for Smith

Giggs for Rooney I think

don't know for Ronaldo, came from the middle of the park

Giggs cross for Ronaldo?

Heinze for Carrick

not sure for Evra, someone on the right

• 3 weeks later...

the stuff relating to natural justice for west ham or whatever is junk, but the basic idea that his actions meant we gave west ham a vital boost is true...and echo Fergie's original comments about the game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dips:

A rumour on a Spurs forum is that you've offered Richardson and some cash for Defoe but it's been turned down, though you haven't been told that Defoe's not for sale. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll cry my ****ing eyes out if we sign him. Why the **** is this lad who isnt even good enough to hold down a first 11 spot with Spurs wanted by bigger clubs?

He has zero footballing brain, is probably the greediest footballer in them prem who goes out of his way to shoot no matter what the angle or how better placed a team mate is.

I look at the guy and i look at attributes he has and wonder what he could bring to a club like ours and i see nothing.

Keep Richardson please. When Mido wanted a contract Defoe was fourth choice at Spurs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

SO true. Not a 'team player' and he's nowhere near good enough to get away with being as selfish as he is, and he can't even get into the first xi at spurs? It's mind boggling that we're interested in him at all.

I'd rather stick with Richardson.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

I hate park because he's rubbish not cos he's a dog eater.

there'd be no park love if he was a spotty oik from gorton who'd just broken through the ranks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think Park's ability to be in the right place at the right time makes him a decent player and one we can rely on to fill in for anyone.

He also has a great mentality on the pitch, always running about, chasing almost everything and never giving up. The United way.

Park > *

Archived