The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually feel sorry for him if you must know, and I do think he can play a role for England.

But I just don't believe that he can even pass as well as Makelele. He's like a - literally - pale imitation of him.

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

'Negligible' is rubbish. He's not a Hughes or Smith kind of player, it isn't and never has been what his game was about. Even then, a striker like those two would have struggled when stuck upfront alone, starved of service and looking fornlornly back at a midfield in decline.

I've been to enough games where I've seen him putting the effort in, chasing down lost causes and making runs in the vain hope our midfield might show some creativity. That undoubtedly changed post-injury, perhaps as a result of wanting away, perhaps because of physical reasons, but I completely refute this allegation that he was lazy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he's lazy ffs. if it's not happening in the 18 yard box he just doesn't give a toss. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ignoring the ridiculous exaggeration, did we not know that when we bought him? Were you complaining about him being disgracefully idle when he single-handed won us the league?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Just out of interest where'd you get those from Opta or somewhere else? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well BBB posted it so i would say Red Issue

Other bits from the papers:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Manchester United are considering a bid for £12m-rated Feyenoord striker Dirk Kuyt, who is a long-time target of Liverpool. (Independent)

A massive anti-riot operation is planned if Portuguese winger Cristiano Ronaldo plays for Manchester United in a friendly at Oxford United next Tuesday. (Sun) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

for all we've written him off (collective we that is), giggs has looked quite good during pre season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't icon_biggrin.gif

But with my opinions on Silvestre it's kinda ignored icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Problem is that O'Shea has had three average/poor seasons since then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes but he was akey then and the left back position still is .

i stiil think that whatever sir alex said to o'shea before his second full season had destroyed his confidence we need him back

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

as poor as spurs have sounded today we will get raped if we put in a defensive performance like that against them. im praying gary is back so we can have rio and brown together with silvestre hoovering somewhere. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not necessarily. Spurs are likely to play it more on the ground, which will suit our defenders more.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Naw Jims is the other one, finished reading it actually icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

good dont lose it

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

wakey06 no longer the threads most hated United fan? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pfffft, it takes more than passing a ticket onto a scouser to get shift that annoying kernt from his throne.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Neville suffered a recurrence of a calf injury during Manchester United's 1-0 Barclays Premiership win at Blackburn this evening and had to be substituted at half-time.

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson said: "It's unfortunate, it's a calf muscle injury that keeps recurring. He won't be playing for England on Wednesday unfortunately.

"We left him out of the Copenhagen game in the hope that with a couple of matches off and some good training it would stop recurring - but it has come back again.

"It is a concern and we want to get to the bottom of it, as fluid keeps getting into the muscle.

"We will leave him out for a couple of weeks so we can get him back to the level he needs to get it right." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@ RedBlood

My question to you sir is do you know when More4 is going to start showing Studio 60?

Sorry for going completely off topic but I'm not going into the dedicated thread to get spoiled.

- - - - - - - -

And marginally back on topic, Mark why would a big print version of Dickins have more or less paragraphs than a normal sized one?

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

i ****ing love eric cantona, my favourite player of all time. such a hero its undeniable. keep every other striker under fergies era, eric was our most influential by an absolute mile. the ethos of arrogance paired with absolute ability and self belief brought success to fergies regime much more than anyone else did. eric cantona = greatest striker to wear the red shirt ever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but he choked in Europe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't say Eric was responsible for us "choking" in Europe during his time with the club.

What hurt us was the Rules on foreign players at the time. It was something that would always hurt us unless it was changed, which thankfully it was.

Kanchelskis, Schmikes, Irwin, Keane, Giggs, Hughes, Cantona, McClair All having to be left out at various points during the campaigns hurt us.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

ul ruud couldnt take real to victory.

they have been really bad this season tbf, no surprise really with an ageing lazy uncommitted whiny has been leading the line.

:*( </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah they sold Ronaldo icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Nani as a Giggs replacement / extra wide option with (a sensibly) priced Hargreaves probably enough to keep me happy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's not going to be sensibly priced though, that's the issue. I think he'd be a great signing, but it's starting to look like right player, wrong price.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Striker situation is strange. We need 3 (maybe 4) who are good / fit enough for 1st team duty. We’re OK on numbers, but quality isn’t exactly to the fore. So if you assume that Ole is too old, Smith not quite good enough for anything other than cover and Saha too injured then even with Rossi back next year you’re probably looking at moving at least one on to make room for someone that can be relied upon as a 1st choice in either a front two with Rooney or as part of a 3 (or isolated on their own away in Europe).

So, another striker (assuming Saha hobbles off into the sunset) would be the icing on the cake. Louis plus cash for Berbs not such a bad idea. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd say neccesary rather than 'icing'. while i think we need a Hargs type player, he's got to be third priority behind winger and striker.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">An attacking midfielder to compliment Carrick / Hargreaves and to become the Scholes replacement plus maybe a right back would be best left for next summer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that's Fletch. i still think the long term plan for the midfield is Carrick / Hargreaves (type), Fletch backup or pushing for a place. The change in dynamic is then compensated for by playing two out and out wingers, as they have more cover from centre mid in that situation.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">No idea why we'd be looking at bringing in any defenders right now. Surely there's actually scope in letting one of Silvestre, Brown, Heinze leave if we get a good price? Would like to see Pique / Evans / Simpson given their chance prior to spending on the back 4.

Selling Richardson to some mugs like Villa or Boro the obvious priority though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was forgetting Silvestre. I'm assuming if we get Bale, we get rid of two rather than one of those. Silvestre really ought to go whatever, and i doubt Heinze will be happy with a bit part role behind Evra. Although he may stay another year to see if he can be first choice when fully fit.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LibLibertine:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love the reverse flip-flap (or whatever it actually is) at the start of this clip. Can't wait to see an all out attacking Brazilian in a Man Utd shirt. Hopefully Anderson will make up for missing out on Ronaldinho when he went to Barcelona.

Richardson might still have his uses - maybe as injury backup for the guy in the Fred The Red suit icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

And no, I can't understand what I wrote there either.

Just SO gutted that I couldn't become the first person to retain the MIUA icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

does that not suggest, seeing how far away from TUOTY you were that you have came from an incredibly low starting point? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's Australian.

Archived