The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AdamJH:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

Kuszczak's looked decent for WBA generally but how many times have we seen a keeper do well at a smaller club and not have the mental strength to deal with the step up? Suppose if it's only as backup it's not quite as serious an issue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He made a few mistakes for us that you will have never seen because MOTD show 35 seconds of all of our matches icon_smile.gif

Did Robson say £2m? That seems low. I would think you need to offer us about £4m. We desperately need to keep Kuszczak, we need a new goalie even if we keep him, and apart from the odd mistake he is pretty awesome.

I don't think he is good enough for Man Utd though </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even as backup, which is what he would be?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

Who isn't attracting the interests of any other club such as Chelsea </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well in modern times anyone that we target is going to be targetted by chelsea. i dont need to go through the numerous examples. im guessing that thats why we are left so much in the darkj about transfers this/last season and for seasons to come until transfers are made.

am i the only person who thinks that Carrick would be a fantastic signing?

fair enough £14m is an inflated price but when you factor in his nationality and Spurs' own ambitions, we're paying a little more to convince them to sell rather than him actually being worth that much. i think he's quality, although owen hargreaves would be an equally good purchase. get them both.

£34m for carrick and torres means ruud can leave, get him off to bayern in exchange for hargreaves and £5m, welcome back season.

please? icon_redface.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

is it Giggs looking over Paddy's lifeless body? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Vieria with a big red cross on his face icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

In the gossip column this morning Rangers are linked with Bardsley on a loan deal. What do you think about this? If he can be a regular there I wouldnt be so against it really, but with Wes's injury proneness and is Simpson going out on loan? It would leave it a bit tight on cover for G Nev who has been picking up few more injuries recently.

I think Bardsley is a very promising player who will step in and take G Nevs place or fight Simpson for it eventually.

I'll do it icon_cool.gif

Btw, just reading on RI that apparently people with tickets for the new quadrants for the Sevilla game were turned away and sent to the TO to swap their tickets for ones in a different part of the stadium because the club didn't think they'd sold enough to make opening the quadrants worthwhile.

Yes, that's right, the quadrants were closed for their grand opening \O/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Lets not take this for granted, we drew 0-0 with Crystal Palace two seasons ago, and lost to Norwich, away games are never easy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was saying that to my best mate last night, wouldn't listen, was convinced we'd win 4-0.

I glassed him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

Definitely none for Fletcher today though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you can answer my yes or no too then icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably not. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sounds like a no to me \o/

GIVE FLETCH HIS ASSIST icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you're saying Rooney should have 1 more goal from the Fulham game as well? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no, but did he get an assist for it? icon_biggrin.gif

i actually can't remember it too specifically. i know saha crossed it, and under pressure from Rooney it was turned into his net by a Fulham defender.

Taz you ****, give Fletch his assist dammit. icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought it was simple enough so even australians could understand it. If he didn't play the pass or touch the ball, he doesn't get an assist.

Your whole argument about why it's a daft stat is the reason it has to be that straightforward, otherwise it's just far too subjective in terms of who you give them to. It's not a fair stat anyway, so it's not about whether Fletch contributed to the goal or not (which he obviously did from the descriptions that have been given). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

christ on a bike, I thought it was simple enough that even senile old codgers could understand it.

hint: this isn't some official list. taz isn't taking the assist stat off of opta or any other site like that, he's tracking it himself.

taz you moron, give fletch his assist gawdammit.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Yeah Bodmer would have been a great season, am surprised he's not moved onto Lyon in the summer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

great season = great buy icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never heard of him. Where is he from?

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

atmosphere on Sunday should be decent...

THAT 2-0 vs Arsenal had a ffffffffb noise. I was so emotional when Ruud scored too :*) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 02-03 one when Veron scored was also one of the best atmosphere's I've felt inside OT.

I know they're not our traditional most hated team, but we do have a fecking brilliant rivalry with Arsenal. Sooooooo many memories, good and bad.

O'Shea's chip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> *

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

consequence of underacheivement.

plus not heard much booing lately.

also, past success is not protection from future criticism. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so what in your eyes is underachievement?

dont get me wrong i have been miserable all day and yesterday but we are still 7 points ahead of arsenal after 5 games and 2nd. we arent going to win the league every season especially with chelsea around.

my opinion on the state of the club wavers but i really think a lot of people are spoilt. there have been mistakes made its true but at the same time whose to say a new manager wouldn't make even more mistakes? even the supposed holy trinity of benitez/mourinho/wenger arent exactly without fault as we've seen so far this season so why the rounding on our own manager?

this is purely based on footballing matters btw, im not interested in debating the merits of fergie's recent pr gaffes because we all know those have been ill-advised at best and unforgiveably stupid at worst (depending on your outlook). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you make the assumption that it's just this season. Schoolboy error.

No title in 3 seasons (probably 4) is underachieving. No success in Europe since '99 and not even looking like it either, is underachievement. Failure to effectively freshen up the first team squad, ousting of vital players to be replaced with clearly inferior ones (hello Saha!) Or not at all (hello Keane!)

Benetiz is overrated, I'd be a success at Chelsea with the money they'd spent and Wenger is, well, Wenger.

I'd even buy into the spoilt thing if IF you hadn't put "Win the league every season with Chelsea around". I'm not asking to win it every season. I could live with that if there was any evidence at all we were moving in the right direction. But, alas there is none. and as for the 5 games won I would expect that a United team no matter the state to put teams like Fulham, Watford et al out of their misery.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Gonch so blinkered icon_smile.gif

Beckham cared more about England in his last 2 seasons.

Sam1968 would call you an "apologist"

get your head out of the damned sand. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

get off ri ffs, its tampering with your head icon_biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Daily Mail

Glazers turn screw at United

The increasing influence of the Glazer family at Manchester United has led to the imminent departure of two top Old Trafford executives.

Finance director Nick Humby and commercial boss Andy Anson are expected to hand in their notices at Old Trafford today, due to their joint frustration at the way their job specifications have altered since the Americans took charge of the club in May 2005.

The Glazer brothers — Joel, Avie and Bryan — are understood to oversee all the important spending and commercial decisions at United, despite being based in Florida.

Humby's previous power behind the scenes at Old Trafford had been such that he conducted the internal investigation into the club's transfer dealings following the 99 questions put by former major shareholders John Magnier and JP McManus.

The investigation came after the Irishmen's dispute with United boss Sir Alex Ferguson over the breeding rights to racehorse Rock of Gibraltar.

The departure of close aides Humby and Anson will now inevitably lead to speculation as to how much longer United chief executive David Gill will remain at the helm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tragic.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

aye what ali said.

Aside from a 10-15 minute spell we've been superb.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs

Excellent

Rooney icon_cool.gif

Aren't the Glazers "pushing the boat out" for Fergie before every transfer window? But then unfortunately it gets washed back ashore again before he gets chance to spend much of the money. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would also take the comment with a pinch of salt, judging how our massive transfer fund was used this summer.

Huntelaar, or another young striker of that calibre would be a great and required addition to the squad, although another midfielder is a more urgent need.

Regarding swapping Saha for RvN, the answer is no. When the game was 0-0 on Saturday, and Giggs driven low cross across the box eluded everyone, I did think "I bet Ruud would have got on the end of that", but I'm not one to look back, and who can complain about United's performances since Saha displaced him? We need a poacher like him as an option, but I wouldn't swap them, especially as Saha is younger.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Big Fat Santa:

Would still have been nice to see Ronaldo actually attack the full backs instead of cutting in.

Also, how many corners do we need before we learn how to get the ball past the first man? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Richardson took 95% of them.

You'd think someone in the side would have said "look mate - go get back in the wheelchair and let me take this one"... but no.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Scholes considered England return

Paul Scholes has revealed that he considered returning to international duty after England boss Steve McClaren approached him about a possible comeback.

The Reds' midfielder announced his retirement from the international scene in August 2004, explaining that he wanted to spend more time with his young family.

His excellent form for United this season prompted an invitation from McClaren to return to the England fold. But Scholes, who won 66 caps and scored 14 goals for his country, twice turned the former United coach down.

The man himself insists he thought long and hard about McClaren's proposals - one in the summer and one last month - but in the end declined the offer.

"It wasn't a straight forward decision," revealed Scholes ahead of United's Champions League clash with Celtic. "I thought about it for a while but then decided against it and felt that I didn't need to go back.

"It was very flattering to be asked but I'd made my mind up."

Sir Alex Ferguson backed Scholes' decision adding: "Knowing Paul as well as I do, I think he did the right thing. He values time with his family and it's not easy when you get into your thirties because playing for England involves alot of travelling all over Europe.

"International football today doens't just involve two or three matches. Players can be away for around eight or nine days at a time when they have two matches close together.

"There are also some many games to play when you eventually get to World Cup and the European Championships, so there is a lot of football for international players," added the Reds' boss. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> In a further sign of imminent transfer activity at Old Trafford, Southampton withdrew Gareth Bale from tomorrow's FA Cup tie at Torquay in anticipation of an improved bid by Manchester United for their 17-year-old wonder kid.

Sir Alex Ferguson was given the green light to sign Owen Hargreaves yesterday when Franz Beckenbauer revealed that Bayern Munich were prepared to sell the England midfielder for £15million.

If the offer that is being talked about really is true, we will have to think about it," said Bayern's club president.

"In principle, we were right to stick to our guns over Owen. If a player has signed a new contract with us, then tries to move for more money, we are within our rights to say 'no'.

"But this is different, and if we receive an offer on the scale that has been mentioned, it is going to have to be given serious consideration."

COME ONE </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Heinze bid is apparently 5 million from Spurs.

Can't tell you how ecstatic I am that we might be selling a proven world-class defender for half the price we'll be able to bring in a 17 year old Welshman plying his trade in the Championship for. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If we were to sell Gaby i would expect to get the £7m we paid for him. Especially if he went to a prem club where he is proven class.

As much as i would like us to sign Bale its just stupidity to end up selling Gaby for less than we pay for Bale. An International left back of proven quality going for less than a 17 year old kid who hasnt even played top flight football.

• 2 weeks later...

Shamelessly stolen from redcafe (icon_frown.gif) and undoubtedly covered before, but I'm killing some time here...

What's your favourite ever United goal?

Favourite - not the best, not the most important, your own personal favourite.

Cole's against Tottenham at OT in 1999 for me. Never heard an explosion of sound like it when that went in, just remember jumping and cheering for what must have been about ten minutes. Quality technique in it too - rooney's the other night against Watford was quite remeniscent of it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

Whens the Youth Cup final? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

second leg a week tomorrow iirc

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Pique's Man Utd future decided this week

Gerard Pique's agent will be in England on Friday for talks with Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson.

The Spanish defender has been outstanding on-loan at Real Zaragoza this season and Arturo Canales says they're seeking a definitive answer from Ferguson about next term.

Canales told AS: "Until I speak with Ferguson I cannot anticipate anything. Sincerely, I do not know what is going to happen. Zaragoza very much want Gerard to continue and the player is very happy with the team and the city. "For that reason I have come this week to England, to listen to Ferguson and to consider every possibility with him. But the decision is with Manchester, just as last summer. Then, Zaragoza wanted to have a purchase option and Manchester said 'no'. They accepted a year's loan. Hopefully the operation can be repeated." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

interesting. don't think he'll be back here next season personally.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

Any of you lot want to come to FCs last game on the season on saturday?

Watch the Everton game in pub then head to Gigg Lane </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

isn't the FC game an early kickoff as well? sure i saw it was in the newsletter.

if not, maybe. although probably not, lack of funds ftl

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

we've got wesley brown, we've got john o'shea, manchester is dreaming, of silverware in may :*) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif that's So awful, yet kind of icon_cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The idea is that, by the time Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs have begun to wane, their places will be taken by Anderson and Nani respectively, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, be sure to let us know when Giggs starts to wane, we'll have to watch out for that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't he wane in your eyes round about 1995? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

02/03ish. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

His contract's up for renewal soon though, so I wouldn't worry too much icon14.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

Can't wait for the football season to start. This place is full if immense drivel right now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like it's any better the rest of the time icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's never this bad during the football season.

Archived