The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy Jordan:

someone explain to me why Fergie would lie about Ruud putting in a transfer request in 2005 AND there was no response to the contrary from the man himself? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fergie's old quote of 'when in Italy, I look under the sauce to check it is actually pasta I'm being served' applies every bit as much to himself these days.

Not saying it didn't happen, but I'm not going to take Fergie's word for it given his increasing tendency to be economical with the truth.

Why hasn't Ruud denied it? Maybe it did happen. Maybe the guy wants to get on with his new challenge and doesn't want to get into a slanging match with people at a club he still has a lot of affection for.

I'd imagine we'll see an RvN autobiog at some point, could be an interesting read. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In terms of Fergie, the only bit of that i don't agree with is the phrase 'these days'. He's been a re-writer of history since day one. However, given the difference between Ruud's public comments and the actions of his agent over the last couple of years at least, i don't believe he's any better on that score.

Personally, i believe completely that there was a transfer request. I have no clue whether it actually was just before the cup final, or if that's a cute piece of embellishment from Fergie, and unless someone comes out with a signed and dated document, i doubt very much we'll ever know.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

when did you get your post count wiped? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He didn't, it's a custom status after his early exit at the Sevilla game icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Papers up here liking you lot with a move for Kilmarnock striker Steven Naismith, Looks a great wee prospect but would end up the same way as Liam Miller. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Come one a 20m bid icon_mad.gificon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

James mate, divorce her, come live with me and Nick icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he already has 2 kids mart he dont want another 2 to worry about

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Acou, we need him, £20m is a tad much but hey ho, that's how it goes.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree really. And I'd absolutely love him to play here.

It's just seeing us get so ****ed over so consistently. Though I should be used to it now...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

Plant the seed of doubt and pessimism and watch it grow icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Coincidentally, that's what Keyser said to his missus at the moment of conception icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and she fell for it, too icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You romantic old fool you icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

less of the romantic, Mister Gillespie

i think a lot of it has to do with towing the company line as well, because as their employee he has to be seen as supportive of them and this has to be clear for all so there is no doubt in the glazer's mind as to where he stands. however, some of the comments he has made have been unnecessary and understandably hurtful so i can see why some people feel how they do.

to me its just another sign that the glazers are a cancer at our club tbh, i lay the blame for all of it squarely on their shoulders.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Oh Martin I cannot come watch the Reading game with you at the pub on Saturday as I am in work until 5pm.

You will just have to make do without me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What happened to your 3 weeks off ffs, money grabber.

You know full well martin wont go on his own needs some one to hold his hand and/or buy his beer

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Keane hints at Manchester United ‘divers’

Former Manchester United Football Club skipper Roy Keane has lashed out at the divers in The Premiership.

Now in charge of Championship side Sunderland, the Irishman has hit out at the players who try to con the referee in the top-flight – and has revealed that some of his former Old Trafford colleagues are far from innocent.

"Players are conning each other," said Keane. "There's a lot of sneaky stuff going on and I'm glad I'm not playing. There were lads I played with who went down like they'd been shot and it drove me crazy. I'd pull my hair out.

"We all know the players and I wouldn't give them the time of day.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

I think Carrick will score against Chelsea and his odds lately for first goal scorer have been high. The odds might be even higher because its against Chelsea... might be a decent bet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you old enough to bet ? icon_eek.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by spotg:

Mido?

Or does 10.9m count as a lot less than 12m? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Berbatov he means, shurely? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yea. Misread what Taz was saying. Ignore me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Why would we sell Rossi? Thats akin to us selling a 19 year old Paul Scholes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but if thats where we want to deploy him in future. I havent seen evidence than Fergie is thinking that way.

Who would you sell your spare to?

Person a) Occasionally exchances words on the internet but doesn't have a clue who he is. "I invited you to the wall, please dude." icon_frown.gif

or

Person b) A good friend of your dad's, who got you two tickets for the Champions League final and plenty of other aways.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Parma have announced the imminent arrival of Manchester United starlet Giuseppe Rossi on loan.

“We were very interested in Nicola Ventola, but the transfer market is tough at the moment, so our director of sport Zamagna made a lightning trip to Manchester where we took back Rossi on loan,†revealed lawyer Giuseppe Cappelli.

“If everything goes well, then he should be in Parma on Thursday and the transfer will come through in time for him to play against Torino this weekend.â€

It is a return to the Stadio Tardini for the 20-year-old Italian-American, as Rossi grew up in the Parma youth system.

He left for England in 2004 during the Gialloblu’s financial crisis and made his debut for Manchester United on November 10, 2004 against Crystal Palace.

He has since gone on to play for Newcastle United for a total of one goal in 16 Premiership appearances.

Rossi finally came to Italian attention in August when he made his international debut for Pierluigi Casiraghi’s Under-21 side and now has give caps to his name.

This is an important reinforcement for the Tardini outfit, which is up for sale after the bankruptcy of majority shareholders Parmalat.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You on a windup?

If not why is there a spelling error? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, because the press have an unmatched command of the English language.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Pompey FA Cup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That'd explain the midweek ad then icon14.gif

Evra impressive again, as were Vida and Rio. Rooney still below par but hopefully the goal will lift him

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

I don't go to Red Issue, so no. icon_biggrin.gif Just clicked the babestation thread. Babes interest me, fish don't icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have more chance with a fish than a babe, so maybe you should change your feelings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ain't that the truth..

Out with the lads from work the other night. Only one of them dancing on the dnacefloor, until they realised i was dancing with women (i have no recollection) was so hammered i ignored them, upsetting the one girl apparently.

I know i'm useless with women Pete. I do not need you to remind me thanks, i get it every day in work icon14.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I can see arguments both for the league and the CL to be honest, and ultimately like I say, I would take either. On a personal level I've always preferred the CL, but like James says, it might be our last shot at the league for a while.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Smith to fight for United future

Alan Smith has vowed to remain at Old Trafford and fight to reclaim his place in the Manchester United side.

The forward saw his Manchester United career halted a little over a year ago by a serious ankle injury.

He has battled back to fitness, but reports suggested he would be allowed to move on loan in order to regain some match sharpness.

Smith rejected the chance to head out on loan recently and he feels the decision will be vindicated between now and the end of the season.

"I am not leaving, simple as that," Smith told Sky Sports News.

"There has been a lot of speculation, but I am going nowhere."

Smith is convinced he has the quality to force his way into Sir Alex Ferguson's thinking and is hopeful his hard work will pay off.

He added: "I am good enough to play in this team, I have always believed that and that is why I signed here.

"I have worked harder than ever to get fit and I want to be part of a team that is winning and the only way you do that is by applying yourself in training.

"Ever since the injury I knew I had to get fit and the second goal was to get back in the team and the third goal was to get international honours."

Smith is confident he will get the chance to show his class in the near future.

"If I had gone on loan to the end of the season and Ole (Gunnar Solskjaer) had been injured and Louis (Saha) had been injured and Henrik (Larsson) had gone back we would have been down to one striker," he added.

"So there would have been nothing worse for me than seeing this club short of strikers and me being out on loan and missing nights like Lille and the games that are coming up." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

save up for a semi in Munich gonch icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

exactly what im thinking mate, if we get through of course. with the 2 trips set to be about 3 weeks apart itll be hard to get time off for both probably, as well as a day off for roma return leg at ot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Oh wait, you mean him plus a yummy striker treat as well.

Stabbings less likely, and I'm clearly having a very stupid day today. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hargeaves and his entourage to roll up in some weird three door car, you say?

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cooldude0007:

who should we get in the summer.

hargreves is coming

nani or bale and some striker mayby torres or hutelaar. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you should tell us more. icon14.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Mr Hall,

I'm writing in specific regard to the allocation of tickets for the semi-final against Watford at Villa Park and in general about the distribution of away tickets for all games.

Whilst I understand that any system will have imperfections and with such a large following and relatively small allocation there will always be people left disappointed I believe that the situation relating to semi-final applications has highlighted major flaws in the system that United should look into, if possible for next season.

By allowing anyone with a season ticket who had applied for all home cup games (including those forced into the automatic cup ticket scheme last summer) the club opened up applications to too many people. Opening up applications to such a wide group meant that marked differences in loyalty were not taken into account. As a family (we have 3 season tickets, renewed each season for over a decade) we have applied for every away game in the last 4 seasons (having missed out on the original loyalty pot after deciding not to apply for Middlesbrough and the club 'losing' the record of a Southampton application). This loyalty was simply ignored. For the purposes of this ballot we were treated in exactly the same manner as a new season ticket holder, who has not even attempted to apply for away tickets before.

It also seems there was confusion and unfair treatment post ballot. We went to Rome (my 48th Euro away with United) on a 4 day trip and found out our application had been unsuccessful whilst out there. We were also told that those that had unsuccessfully applied for tickets and then emailed the club were being called and offered tickets - given we were still in Rome, we were unable to take up this opportunity.

On arriving back on Thursday the website indicated that all tickets had been sold and made no mention of further applications or the possibility of picking up returns. We naturally assumed that there would be no possibility of raising the issue with the ticket office until Tuesday due to the bank holiday (from what I could see, there was no mention that the ticket office would be working on Easter Monday). So, we were surprised to find out from a fellow fan (Martin Sheehan, ask Mr Gill about him, he's a personal friend so I'm told) on Monday afternoon that people had been able to contact the ticket office, and had been offered tickets. On contacting the office, we were told that indeed, there had been tickets available in the morning, but once again we'd missed out, as they'd all been sold.

It seems that both in the initial applications and in the actions afterwards, loyalty isn't important and it's more down to luck as to whether tickets will be made available.

I understand that you have limited resources and any system has to deal with large volumes of applications, but surely you should look at adopting a more subtle and genuinely fair system? As I understand it a number of other clubs in the Premiership run systems in which points are awarded for each and every application (points dependant on the venue) and priority for tickets is given to those that have built up the biggest bank of points.

Even if such a system isn't practical, surely it would be possible to include something beyond home tickets in the system for allocating domestic cup tickets? Does our history of applications and our continued support of the club abroad count for nothing?

As an aside, will those who applied but were unlucky for semi-final tickets be given priority for a final ticket (fingers crossed!) or once again will we simply be reliant on an unfair system and being lucky in being in correspondence with the club at the right time post ballot.

One final point, over the last couple of seasons, it is being more and more apparent that the number of away tickets appearing on the 'black market' is growing. For non-loyalty pot fans, you're far more likely to get a ticket through a 'friend of a friend', via a number of well known fan sites or though various contacts.

----------

Feels like they actually listened icon_wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Cartman:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

Yeh, stop them?

It's nailed on that they're winning it on penalties and I'd rather not face the total shame of losing to those twats.

But that's just MY OPINIONS AND FEELINGS.

Other fans will have different views. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well saying you'd rather not take the chance of Liverpool beating you is far more understandable than simply i'm not bothered and we got further than we expected </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No it isnt. It's equally stupid. "Fear of failure". Should go into that "Do you enjoy supporting your club" thread and say "No" cause it's sounds like you're terrified. Do you take this attitude into your everyday life as well ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

what Mart said. Could have probably gone to a number of clubs or stayed at Reading and would have done better than he will at Chelsea. Unless the rumours of Lampard's move to Spain have some substance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's been rumours that his missus has wanted to move back to Spain for a while. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he ended up at Barcelona.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

When were the thred awards btw? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tomorrow.

Archived