The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zink:

if he is still here, it'll just want lots of repeated "where's yer dad gone" chants.

make the greasy nonce cry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

how mature are you, frigging moron </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

marginally more than him

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

so basically Holger Osieck (best name ever btw) reads Teh Sun. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nah Podolski had a far better tournament than Ronaldo.

So I saw the game late..

Ole looked excellent, Scholes was looking good in every area but tackling which has indeed got worse, Rossi great again with so many flick ons/through balls.

Kieran Richardson however was fffffffffs. Don't let the goal fool you.

Everyone else just a regular, decent run out tbh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Go-Go:

at times Wes looks absolutely brilliant but how often does this happen?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

err pretty frequently given he's injury-free and in a settled back four? In fact under those circumstances he's near faultless </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

meh, part of my point was how often he ISN'T injury free, but don't know if that a bit of a media cliche - how many starts has he made last 2/3 seasons?

Well, you guys obviously watch ManU more than me, but I'd be suprised if (barring injuries) by the time the season is in full flow, Vidic and Rio aren't your central defence pairing?

But if I'm wrong feel free to drag this up from the 20 pages of "FFS, CARRICK FOR £20 MILLION" and laugh at me icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

And the money that doesn't come in until next year is in next years budget as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But it's guaranteed to be coming in...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> FERGIE ADMITS SENNA INTEREST

Posted 03/08/06 20:28

EmailPrintSave

Sir Alex Ferguson admits he is interested in signing Villarreal's Marcos Senna.

The Manchester United boss has already signed midfielder Michael Carrick in a £16.8million move from Tottenham but is still keen to bolster his squad further before the season starts.

And, while he would not confirm a deal for Senna is near completion, the Scot did admit another new arrival is pencilled in for next week.

"We are looking at signing other players," he said. "Hopefully, something will happen next week.

"There is interest in Senna but there is interest in other players as well."

Meanwhile Ferguson has cited Ruud van Nistelrooy's reaction to being dropped for last season's Carling Cup final as the major reason behind his Manchester United exit.

Van Nistelrooy joined Real Madrid in a £10.3million deal last week claiming his relationship with Ferguson had completely broken down.

Despite scoring 150 goals in an amazing five-year spell at Old Trafford, van Nistelrooy found himself overlooked for the latter stages of last term after losing out to Louis Saha in the battle to face Wigan in the showpiece final at the Millennium Stadium.

At the time, Ferguson claimed Saha deserved his place because he had played in most of the earlier rounds.

But it now transpires that not only was van Nistelrooy upset by the move, the 30-year-old allowed his resentment to linger.

Ferguson said: "The big difference with modern-day football is that now we have squads of players.

"It makes it difficult for a manager because every time you come to pick a team for a major game there are two or three players you are hesitant about telling they are out of the team either because they are great players, they have been great players in the past or you have a certain relationship with them.

"All you can do is hope they will agree with the reasoning behind your decision.

"Of course, sometimes a player doesn't agree. I am happy with that.

"But it what happens after that, how they adapt to it is different with every player. Ruud was different in that way. That is exactly what happened."

Ferguson's comments, his first on van Nistelrooy since the end of last season, emphasise why he made a veiled observation that the forward was becoming a disruptive influence in the dressing room.

Ironically, Ferguson delivered his verdict sat barely five yards from another Dutchman who left Old Trafford in acrimonious circumstances in Jaap Stam.

Now back in Holland with Ajax, whom United will face on Saturday in their second game of the prestigious four-team Amsterdam pre-season tournament, Stam was widely assumed to have been booted out by Ferguson because of controversial comments the defender made about some of his former team-mates in an autobiography.

Both parties were at pains to stress no hard feelings remain from the fall-out in 2001 which led to Stam joining Lazio.

"Jaap was a great player for me," said Ferguson. "He won the European Cup with me. But business is business. Sometimes, you get an offer you cannot refuse. That is the way it was."

For his part, Stam insisted he bore no hard feelings towards his former manager and distanced himself from comments which suggested he retained a grievance about the way his departure was handled.

In fact, as he readily agreed, the deal probably worked out better for Stam given, unlike United, he has played in another Champions League Final since leaving England.

"The discussion about me leaving United has gone on for five years now," he said.

"Sometimes, when a club gets an offer for a player, they accept it. That is the way it goes.

"Of course, maybe straight away you are not happy but you have to move on. I had three great years at Lazio and another two with AC Milan.

"I have no hard feelings. You could say it worked out well for me. I have had a good few years since leaving United."

Stam's performances since quitting the Premiership have proved Ferguson was wrong to believe the defender's legs had gone and it has taken a long time for United to construct a defence which looks as formidable in his absence.

Ferguson confirmed neither Cristiano Ronaldo, Mikael Silvestre nor Louis Saha had made the trip to Holland for the Amsterdam tournament after only returning to training on Monday following their World Cup exertions.

In addition, Gary Neville is nursing a groin injury, while Gabriel Heinze and Nemanja Vidic are absent with knee problems.

"Gary and Gaby should be okay for the start of the season but I don't think Nemanja will," said Ferguson.

"We will have to monitor the three lads who have just come back to see how they go." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

It's actually surprisingly difficult to get any match reports etc even though it happened like 2 days ago.

But the basic things are 'Carrick's injured' and 'Rooney got sent off'? Am I being naive in thinking that a sending off for a friendly won't automatically mean a suspension? I rather think I am... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The ref can send a report to the FA, suspensions can be dished out - think the general conscensus is that Rooney will get away with it, Scholes might not, but I'm only really getting that from brief glimpses of tabloids in Holland. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scholes got sent off too? icon_eek.gif

Was there a mass brawl or something?

• 2 weeks later...

Not a quiz question but I was thinking about a CL game against Barca about 10 or 12 years ago when there was the 4 foreigner/assimilated player rule and seem to remember we played a young english keeper instead of the big man. We lost 4-0 iirc.

I'm sure some of you will remember who it was - I think I'm getting Alzheimers icon_frown.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I had a great run without seeing a loss, then it ended somewhat spectacularly in 03/04 with the 2-3 vs Boro, then watching what little title hopes we had knackered with the draw with Leeds, then the 1-1 with Porto. Probably worst of all was the 1-0 with Leicester though. I can think of nothing good about that game with the single exception of seeing a rare Gary Neville goal. Even the worst moments in a way are better than being there and just feeling nothing at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

:*) icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wrong thread </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like I say, I don't give a feck. icon_cool.gif

while that article/post/rant might have a point re: the fans that have left are the ones who created most of the atmosphere at OT, the gist of it is absolute ********.

even allowing for the rock of gibraltar fiasco, fergie is in no way responsible for the glazers taking over. and asking anyone to resign from managing one of the biggest clubs in world football purely because the fans don't like the new owners is a ridiculous yardstick to set fergie's principles by tbh.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

west ham icon_cool.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You just justified me wanting us to lose in Copenhagen icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

why on earth were you wanting us to lose? icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So that Gonch didnt have an enjoyable trip.

That and probably some twisted mongish reason like he wants us to go out in the group stages again so that he can proclaim that he's right to be a depressing pessimistic sod.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

COME WAN JERMAIN :*) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't you dare try and claim that wasn't an 'I <3 Jenas' post

• 3 weeks later...

and i'd say you're being really rather patronising yourself fran by telling us we have no right to be annoyed by these things. i'd say ticket price increases every year that wouldn't have happened without the takeover are something we have every right to be angry at, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

this 'stop moaning, you're still better off than most' attitude really annoys me.

and that article on the last page is worrying but no doubt doesnt tell the whole story. the bit about the debt/payment/interest increasing can only mean as mark said its related to the hedge fund debt and so isnt as gloomy as they are portraying it. its not good obviously but theyre not purposely doing their best to put us in the championship with leeds i shouldnt imagine.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Louis Saha hopes to be back for United's league game against Aston Villa a week on Saturday. A scan showed that the striker's groin injury was not as serious as feared. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A piece from another article, good news.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

We arent in a position to buy someone now and then go back for him in the summer and is anyone really going to let a good box to box midfielder join us on loan? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who are some examples of box to box midfielders. icon_confused.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Porto wasn't productive and AC Milan he should never have played in yeah, but that's Fergie's fault not Ruud's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

who knows, he probably bitched and moaned and threatened to leave if he was left out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SirZ:

You've lost the title icon_frown.gif

Dont let Chelsea win the Quad ffs icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We haven't.

They won't.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EmmYouEffSee:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

oh and our new left back fabio, scored SEVEN goals in the under 17's copa america.

you can stick your gareth bale icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We signed him then? What happened to that 'seal' player - who could keep the ball on his neck/chest the whole length of the pitch and score? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have signed both Fabio and his twin brother but they cannot join us until they turn 18.

And the seal trick kid is Kerlon. Still plying his trade in Brazil for what i know and aged around 18. I think we were even linked with him at one point.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

We expected a half arsed, gutless, souless, negative, pathetic performance at Southend. Not in the San Siro </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

was anyone anything more than hopeful in the san siro, given our dire european away record (even this season) and our less than convincing home performance?

Archived