The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Cartman:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

I'm not too keen on Ribery. Granted the World Cup is where i have seen most of him but still. He just seemed to have little end product for a Winger but seemed a half decent dribbler. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like a perfect replacement </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rooney basically confirming what ronaldo said the day after the game. icon14.gif

this, however p!issed me off:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"It is like having a new signing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Alan Smith won't be back until the end of August or beginning of September even if we consider him as a striker </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He IS a striker you drunken old kernt. If you don't think he's good enough to play there then why fecking sign him?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"Now Ole has come along and shown he could be the third. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This quote here coupled with the one above pretty much defines our summer. If we don't sign a midfielder(s), Rossi won't go on loan and along with Rooney, Sahahahaha and Ole will make up our striking quartet while smudger's move to midfield will become more permanent.

I don't for a single second believe we are even considering Torres or anyone else to replace Ruud.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wakeyrocket:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hell Hath No Fury:

so they're looking to get rid of foster?

right. I'm totally lost now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haven't Watford tabled a bid for his servies of just over a million? Not so long ago Fergie was hailing TH to be our next number 1 even after sending him out on loan so why would we want another back up Keeper? Surely 1 of them has to go next year, so that would mean TH icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WHAT? icon_biggrin.gif

Watford want him on loan, there is not and has never been any chance of him going there permanently.

Howard's been loaned out because he's not cut it with us, he needs first-team football to see if he'll ultimately cut it with us or to attract buyers. Fergie can hardly pack him off on loan to Everton and say "he's not got a chance of ever making it with us" can he?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

Apparently Smudger is going to be 'converted' back to being a striker </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ycnmiu icon_biggrin.gif

Roll on Amsterdam, literally the only thing that I'm looking forward to, football wise.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bayern Munich look to be winning the race to sign unsettled Manchester United striker Ruud van Nistelrooy.

The Dutchman, 30, has been repeatedly linked with Real Madrid, who have had a bid of about £12m turned down.

Bayern president Franz Beckenbauer is confident a deal will be struck for Van Nistelrooy, adding that they will offload Roy Makaay or Claudio Pizarro.

"We're still Euros 5m (£3.4m) away from Manchester United's valuation, but the chances are still high," he said.

"But if it does work out, I could imagine us giving away Roy Makaay or Claudio Pizarro."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lol

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razzler:

after chasing Carrick all summer i am sure he is the one you will sign </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

such stunning insight, do you work for the BBC?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyway icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Sir Alex Ferguson commented: “Mikael...has a central role to play in the first team."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by olipepper:

isit BBB's birthday btw? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No it's mine icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh, have a good one /o\/o\/o\

• 2 weeks later...

O'Shea will never be as good a defender as Silvestre, and I mean that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're wrong then icon_smile.gif

THE FACTS SAY SO.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Is he really still that big a marketing draw? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I think so, the Beckham ‘product’ is still very strong. They probably see him as a long term proposition. The all new Bobby Charlton possibly.

And if you take his comments at face value (difficult after his departure, granted) then I’ve a feeling he’d be willing to take a more peripheral role at United than he would do at another club.

If we were to get him on a free transfer and he’s patched things up with Fergie I don’t see it being a bad signing...unless it means we don’t sign a younger alternative. Only the Glazers know the genuine alternatives open to us.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Did you bully him for being ginger & if not, why not? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't actually, mainly because he was 3 years older than me and a lot bigger than me. icon_razz.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Hypothetically speaking and getting WAY ahead of myself, would a season in which we won the UEFA Cup and finished second be a successful or unsuccessful one? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends on how we played to get to that runner up spot, and/or how far behind we trailed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never did get the hang of succinct and to the point icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, from the Lille site:

Le LOSC souhaite aujourd’hui annoncer à ses supporters, à ses partenaires ainsi qu’à l’ensemble du public du Nord-pas-de-Calais qu’il a choisi de disputer son huitième de finale d’ UEFA Champions League au stade Félix Bollaert de Lens.

It's about a 45,000 capacity isn't it?

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Sir Alex Ferguson will finally get his man when he clinches the £12 million capture of England midfielder Owen Hargreaves within the next fortnight as he celebrates Christmas with Manchester United sitting proudly on top of the Premiership.

Two Cristiano Ronaldo goals and a wonderful volley by Paul Scholes brought United a 3-0 win at Villa Park yesterday that keeps them two points clear of Chelsea, late 3-2 winners at Wigan.

Hargreaves, who has been pursued by the United manager since before the World Cup finals last summer, is approaching full fitness after breaking the fibula in his left leg playing for Bayern Munich on September 16.

He will arrive to stiffen United’s midfield at an opportune time, with Michael Carrick facing a six week lay-off with an ankle injury.

The Hargreaves deal, allied to the short-term recruitment of Sweden striker Henrik Larsson, will enable Ferguson to crank up the pressure on his title rival, Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho.

Ferguson has revealed that he instructed chief executive David Gill to resume talks with Bayern, who last week claimed they would fight to keep the player until next summer.

But there has been a sudden softening of Bayern’s stance and Ferguson said: "We will wait and see about that. David will probably make contact with them. He’s always in touch with the G14 anyway and he sees (Bayern executives) Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and Uli Hoeness regularly. So we will see."

But I can reveal that a deal will be completed in the January transfer window, with Hargreaves having informed Ferguson that he is on his way to Old Trafford.

The arrival of the combative Canadian-born player, set to be welcomed to the club well before his 26th birthday on January 20, will bring to an end a typically determined manhunt by Ferguson and an equally stoic refusal by Bayern officials to let him go.

The United manager’s interest in the player mirrors his quest to sign Holland striker Ruud van Nistelrooy, who remained top of his wanted list in spite of being out for the 2000-01 season with a serious knee injury.

Ferguson tried to sign Hargreaves before the August transfer deadline but the German club refused to talk, especially after an attempt to do a deal involving Van Nistelrooy foundered when the striker opted for Real Madrid instead.

Ferguson said then of the midfielder: "He is at a good age and still maturing. He would fit our age profile very well and he would be able to play the type of football that we like." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please be true

• 3 weeks later...

I can do it in a group of 2/3. Not on my own. Although one of my finest United moments has to have been 'starting' a chant in the FA Cup game against Citeh a few years back - I was a bit drunk, stood in the Stretty and there'd been a good atmosphere all game, so just went for it with a 'Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-nnnniiiii-TED' and people around me joined in icon_cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

afaik Mart and Nick are doing Fulham

I know posting MSN convos is frowned upon, but still

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Nick says:

trying not to get carried away

Matt/Mika says:

yeah you always have to be wary, but i'd rather be top than bottom i guess

Matt/Mika says:

reliability seems the most encouraging thing

Matt/Mika says:

basically no problems so far

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

What's your point?

Reyes was **** here and didn't settle </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My point is Reyes signed a 5 yr contract, claimed he was happy and settled in England, and only 8 or 9 months later he was practically mailing himself to Madrid, so I wouldnt look too much into those Ronaldo quotes.

Though this is probably just wishful thinking from me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reyes never claimed he'd settled ffs icon_biggrin.gif There was always talk of him not being happy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well we're through, after yet another drab, uncreative display in europe, with the only player putting the effort in being Ronaldo.

Van der sar - pretty standard and didnt do much wrong apart from one kick that springs to mind.

Neville - thought he played better than he has done in recent games and didnt give them a sniff down our right.

Rio/Vida - cant remember them doing much wrong apart from a couple of misplaced passes and Rio's run past two Lille players was quite ammusing.

Silvestre - now how on earth can you play someone this inept over a player of Gabby's quality I mean there was a five-ten minute space were Silvestre gave the ball away everytime he received it ( this included the moment he picked the ball up after Ronaldo had taken the throw in).

O'shea - to be honest in the first half I would have said that he was our best player and broke up their attacks quite effectively , after the break however he was back to his crappy best with one hacked clearence after another (his best bit of defending in the second half must have been when his head defflected a clearance from point blank range).

Scholes/Carrick - thought the latter of these two had an atroucious game and gave the ball away on countless occassions. Scholesy didnt play to his full potential again , until the play got stretched in the final twenty minutes. One thing that did annoy me about these two was the reluctancy for either of them to put a tackle in.

Ronlaldo - only player that took it to Lille and drove at them and his run to set up the goal was something special. Not sure about the penalty, according to a few people around me they said he was tripped , but if im being totally honest I think even if he was tripped the theatrical fall made the referee make his mind up.

Rooney - yet another inaffective game from him (maybe his poorest yet) , every time he received the ball his control let him down, his passing which is usually still good even if he isnt playing that well was nowhere to be seen last night, this accompanied by the fact that he was stuck out on the wing all night led to yet another uninspring display and yet another european game without a goal.

Larsson - was a tough game from Henke left up front all by himself and to be honest it showed everytime he received the ball , at one time he was being marked by their entire back four. Altough he capped his stay with us with a well placed header to bow out in a classy way.

Glad to see Smudge get some action and was surprised how sharp he was to be honest and almost capped it off with a nice shot on the turn. Hopefully will start against Boro on Saturday and can hopefully fill the gap left by Ole/Saha & Henke.

MoM: Ronaldo

2nd: John O'shea icon_eek.gif

as for the draw would fancy anyone apart from the scousers (couldn't take it if they knocked us out, and I think we'll get knocked out the next round who ever we draw tbh). in a perfect world though we would get PSV and Chelsea would get Liverpool.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

16-1 on us winning nothing?? icon_biggrin.gif

so tempted </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you think about it those are really **** odds. When you consider how likely it is we will win the FA cup if nothing else. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree

If we assume it's the "obvious" final, in that sort of game I reckon Chelsea could very easily have us. Certainly rate them as favourites in a final between the 2 of us.

• 1 month later...

Equivalent of 10 bottles, my arse.

You & Keith were both asleep in the San Siro 10 minutes before kickoff. Guy next to me pointed it out. I had to boot you in the tit to wake you up.

I drank exactly the same as you & I was asn't vominting all over myself & falling over tables in the middle of Milan icon14.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Archived