The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

I can only assume West Ham are in there because the West Ham researcher has put us as one of their rivals (they always seem to have been particularly ABU) and the United researcher has bizarrely returned the favour. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not so sure. There was a lot of West Ham hate in the old thread as they got towards the cup final. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't like them, but not really for rivalry reasons. I get the feeling I'd dislike them no matter who I supported icon_biggrin.gif

I dunno, is there serious beef with them about ruining our title chances in '92 or '95? Ince-related stuff mebbe. I don't see it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never quite got it either. I did wonder how much was down to the Beckham stuff after the '98 world cup, they were the worst offenders as far as i recall. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wasm't the Beckham stuff because they were the first away game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, it's because most West Ham supporters are bald, lardy, Burberry-clad little-Ingerlunders. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah I know that. But I mean it was worse from them as it was the first away game. I'm sure whichever team were first up away that season would have given Beckham some serious hatred, and if the Hammers had been last game, it might have not been as bad as he kind of shut most of the little-Ingerlanders up over that season.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the simple consequence of lack of success on the pitch. The majority top players want to play for teams who are league and european contenders. The longer we go without being that, the harder it will be to get the top players. Which of course can be self-perpetuating.

There is of course also the status or romance element, which is why Madrid seem to be immune to years of underachievement, but for pretty much every other team that isn't enough on it's own.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

I reeeeeeeeeally hope I see Custis at OT one day </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why?

Harsh language? Citizen's arrest? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was thinking more of setting Mart on him, but repeatedly calling him a c**t has its attractions.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

I'm dreading the actual conference itself incase we announce the stupid money transfer of Carrick as well. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shut up

Getting Carrick for anything >>> getting nobody

Last night there were a few times where he ran at the defence and looked a real threat, some power in his shots too. Suppose he just needs a goal or two to get him going fully like.

Richardson looked good to me too, well able to skin a player. Chances of him playing a biggish role this year ?

• 2 weeks later...

To please Bagpuss ehn can get back to normality.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> United missed four times in a penalty shoot-out as they slipped to defeat in their opening Manchester Senior Cup tie.

Brian McClair's side were unfortunate not to win in normal time, having led through Aaron Burns' first-half strike until the 85th minute.

United enjoyed the majority of possession throughout the match, with Smith heavily involved in the majority of their promising attacks.

The England striker looked lively in tandem with Burns, and completed 90 minutes for the second time in five days.

It was Smith who almost opened the scoring inside a minute, drawing a good reaction save from County keeper Tim Deasy.

His heroics were bettered by United counterpart Tom Heaton shortly afterwards as the Reds stopper turned Adam Le Fondre's close-range header over the bar.

Smith set up David Jones inside the box, only for the midfielder to drag his shot wide, before Burns opened the scoring five minutes before the interval.

The strike duo linked up well before Burns fired expertly past Deasy to give United the lead their possession deserved.

For all their promising play in the first 45, United failed to match their exertions in the second period, and County came

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and to please Partridge Quoters:

" The temperature in this Apple turnover is over 1000 degrees, if I squeeze it a jet of multen bramley apple will shoot out. It could go your'e way, it could go mine. Either way one of us is going down!"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

worst day is very easy too - West Ham away in 95.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hypocrite. You said under no circumstances were we to mention Upton Park 1995.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As everyone has already said, i thought that Vidic and Scholes had great games. Thought Solskjaer did the business too when he came on.

There was nearly a fight in front of me cause after the second goal some random guy turned round and asked who scored and the guy beside me said "John O'Shea". The guy freaks out and says "**** off, who are you callin gay?". Then the guys beside me started ****in themselves which wound the guy up more until they finally explained!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

Anyone else really looking forward to Andy Mitten's book 'We're the famous Man United'? Got excellent previews in both UWS & Redissue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

aye. got a long list of united-related books i want this christmas - that one, the new one on Best and Edwards, the autobiographies of Paul McGrath and Paul Parker, and those are just the ones out in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...

4-1 FT icon_biggrin.gif

Rooney just came to life and got 2. A header from a corner and after battering his way through Terry a powerful strike across the keeper

Scholes got the other with the goal of the game.. a 30 yard rocket past the hapless keeper. icon_cool.gif

They fluked a goal from a scramble in the area tbh.

COME ON

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ?:

I can honestly see Foster, Heinze, Richardson, Pique, Rossi, and Smith departing before 2008. icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbh, Richardson leaving would almost make up for all the others.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

Hey!

Here's an idea, how about we all stfu, take each game as it comes and then in may we can see where we are!?!!!!? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it'll be 2nd though

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

There's little kiddies in the U15's who are probably more use than Kieran Richardson.

What an utterly useless player. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly.

Park ftw.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Cartman:

I love Gary Neville icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only because he's got more assists for blue derby goals than anyone in your team icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

Rich.

Who would you get rid of from our squad right now?

What positions would you strengthen from within with the youngsters and what positions do you feel we need to buy players and how many per position? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you know who you've been linked with that I think could have helped tonight? javier mascherano. I know he's probably out of your price range but I think he could have neutralized kaka much better than carrick.

how much did you pay for carrick again?

• 3 weeks later...

I love the way they always use the £25 seats as there lowest price despite the fact there are hardly any of them.

The majority are £33 or more iirc, which is the way it should be done. Perhaps an average based on num seats times price for each price band divided by total seats.

I bet our average would be £35 at least.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

The Manchester United thread 2007/2008 - just f**k off Kieran </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Either that, one of the Ronnie ones, or

The Manchester United 2007/2008 thread - 'Because "You can't buy history"'

Archived