The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok probably posted above, but I have a question about it so don't care.

"Chinese international Dong Fangzhuo moved a step closer to becoming a Manchester United player last night.

The Royal Antwerp forward scored the Reds winning goal against the Kaizer Chiefs in the Newlands stadium in Cape Town on Tuesday night, and Sir Alex was impressed with his finish.

In fact, so impressed that the Reds boss expects Dong to link up permanently sooner rather than later.

“I thought the goal was a good example of a young players showing good composure,†he said of the winning goalscorer.

“He could have taken the shot first time but he had the confidence to wait before taking the chance.

“The situation with him is that he’s been at Antwerp for three years now which means he is soon eligible for a European passport which will be good news for us.

“He’s played four times for China now so we could apply on the fact of his potential. In England as it stands now we could get him a work permit on appeal based on his potential because he’s only 20 and has already played for China four times.

“So in the next nine months he should be at Manchester United.â€

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson was also pleased with the performance and fitness gained in the Reds narrow victory over the

"

Right, if you are Chinese you're not allowed a second nationality, so please explain how he is going to get a European passport?

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Look, it's really really simple. You're own team comes first ahead of any hatred for anyone else. If you start looking for other teams results or outcomes before your own, you're no better than a bitter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well, if you're going to be simple about it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Smith starts at Deepdale

Alan Smith is a shock inclusion in the Reserves' line-up to face Preston North End in the Lancashire Senior Cup on Monday night.

In his first taste of competitive action since suffering a broken leg and dislocated ankle in February, the 25-year-old partners Giuseppe Rossi upfront at Deepdale.

The duo are the biggest names in a strong side chosen by caretaker boss Brian McClair.

First-team squad members David Jones, Chris Eagles and Liam Miller are joined by young winger Jamie Mullan in an experienced midfield.

Regular midfielder Ritchie Jones drops to centre-back with Ryan Shawcross, with Kieran Lee and Danny Rose manning the flanks at full-back.

Tom Heaton starts in goal, while Michael Barnes, Sean Evans, Phil Marsh, Aaron Burns, Floribert Ngalula and Ron-Robert Zieler are named on the bench.

United: Heaton, Lee, Shawcross, R Jones, Rose, D Jones, Eagles, Miller, Smith, Rossi, Mullan. Substitutes: Barnes, S Evans, Marsh, Burns, Zieler, Ngalula. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alan Smith ifb, what an utter utter legend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif you're joking right?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Smith makes smooth return for Man Utd

Manchester United striker Alan Smith returned to the public arena at Preston tonight, exactly 184 days since suffering his horrific double leg break in the FA Cup defeat to Liverpool.

Smith appeared to come through his first official reserve team outing unscathed, lasting 66 minutes of the 7-2 Lancashire Senior Cup win at Deepdale.

While the England international did look some way short of match fitness, with Wayne Rooney suspended for United's next three games, he could have an outside chance of muscling his way onto the bench for Saturday's Barclays Premiership encounter with Watford.

Far more likely though, is a couple more second string appearances for the 25-year-old during the forthcoming international break before a possible appearance against Tottenham on September 9.

Although Smith did feature in a closed-doors game against Royal Antwerp last week, tonight's outing was another significant step in his recovery from the appalling injury he suffered at Anfield in February.

Starting up front alongside rising star Giuseppe Rossi, the former Leeds player displayed all his usual strength and aggression.

With no replacement in sight for Ruud van Nistelrooy, Sir Alex Ferguson has already declared his intention to utilise Smith as an orthodox striker this season, ending the single-season experiment as a holding midfielder.

The £6million former Leeds star did show glimpses of his ability, curling an early shot at Preston keeper Andy Lonergan.

Smith also set Rossi up with a decent chance, although he would have been less happy with the shot he screwed wide just past the half hour having been set clear inside the area by Liam Miller and a mis-hit volley which bounced wide after half-time.

He appeared happy enough when he was replaced by Sean Evans midway through the second half, although his contribution was overshadowed by that of Rossi.

The teenage forward, capped at under-21 level for the first time by Italy last week, enhanced his own growing reputation with a well-taken brace, with Phil Marsh (2), Chris Eagles, Danny Rose and David Jones also on target for the visitors.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

O'Shea was awful against Charlton. He couldn't control the ball and his passing was poor. There just isn't any point of having him in our team. He's supposed to be the holding midfielder yet attacking midfielders walk past him on their way to our defence.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

Expecting Bagpuss to make noises any minute. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmm if ticket exchange can charge £45 i might charge £40 for mine when i aint going

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

I know we have no money but surely we can afford to take a player on loan for a few months ffs.

Somebody is going to feel my rage when I go play 5 a side later tonight icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

get it all out before you decide to chuck me off tier 3 next week jonny.

haha, forget the extra Mikel money icon_biggrin.gif

So that's over £70m to spend next summer, eat your heart out Roman icon_cool.gif

Obviously there'll probably be Carrick-related payments to deduct from that, but I'll go out on a limb and suggest any success-related ones won't come to fruition..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

throwing a massive ****ing strop for being left out of a cup final in a competition which he probably didnt give a **** about when it started. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank God everyone else connected to the club cares so much about the Carlingworthlesrumbelowscocacola Cup then?

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

You guys could do the same about Liverpool’s last league title...if any of you actually remember it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember far too many of them icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that must rank alongside the hindenburg disaster as your least favourite memories icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can't see any logic in letting Smithy go to Cardiff/Leeds especially seeing the injury to Ole at the moment and with beppe still on loan, it basically guarantee's us dropping points because the christmas perido is notorious for being hectic , so not all first team players are going to play in all the games.

Although, I do see everyone's point regarding him not fitting in with our style of play the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

Yeah I know it's not there, that's why I linked to it icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoosh etc.

In Uni and can't be bothered to walk home yet, go me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

get it right, the yank bas has bored you into a vegetable-like state </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That as well icon_frown.gif

Get your ticket? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

course I did, 7.01am, Fulham home isn't seen as a big game, evidently icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> "We know Lille very well as they defeated us last season in their stadium and we got a draw at home," said Saha.

"Bearing in mind those last two matches, we can almost consider Lille to be the favourites. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Saha >>>>>>>> me in the pessimism stakes icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

where have i said we will beat them? please, id love you to point that out.

for gods sake some of you lot crack me up. we're top of the league, and have been consistently better than them for the past two seasons, going on league performance (surely the best and only indicator, no?) i think im entitled to make my own, non-slit-my-wrists-with-fear-before-every-game approach to the match.

stop being so ****ing full of doom and woe all the time </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha calm down icon_biggrin.gif

You going on saying how much better we are than them clearly implies that you think we should beat them, I don't think that's an unreasonable assumption to make.

What is wrong with not being as optimistic as you? So what if we're top of the league, doesn't make much difference when it comes to toss of the coin games like this.

So what if we have been better than Arsenal for two years, they're growing and developing greatly atm and imo will be serious contenders for the title next season. Statements like "we're better than them" are just pointless and arrogant.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Playing for England against Spain was a very proud moment for me. I’ve been a United player for 18 or 20 months now and yet I made my Old Trafford debut for England. It was a little strange but it’s not something I’d change!

I spent four years at Stoke City as third choice goalkeeper - sometimes even fourth choice - so you can easily get into the mindset of thinking, ‘If Stoke can’t see anything in me, why would anybody else?’.

When United came in for me it was an absolute shock, to be honest. They showed a lot of faith in me and paid quite a lot of money for somebody who’d never even played for Stoke. Now I’ve just played for my country. It’s the kind of thing dreams are made of.

I was a bit anxious going into the match because it was the biggest game I’ve played in my career so far.

The hardest part was in the hotel on the day of the game. We had four or five hours to just rest and that’s when I got nervous. I had a lot of time to think and sometimes in those situations your mind starts to run away and you think of crazy things that could happen. But as soon as we got to the stadium and we were warming up, my natural instincts took over and it was business as usual. At the end of the day, it’s just another football match.

If I hadn’t gone out on loan to Watford this season and last season I wouldn’t be in the position I’m in today. I owe a lot to United for loaning me out and also to Watford for giving me the chance to play games.

Paul Robinson is still Steve McClaren’s first-choice for England and I’m okay with that. He hasn’t done anything to warrant being dropped so I can only do what I do, keep going out every Saturday and doing as well as I can for Watford. If the England manager calls me up, that’s brilliant. If not, I’ll just keep going.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lads - just a quick question if you've been watching the West Ham match today.

Tevez - didn't seem him today but apparently he has been pretty amazing and has impressed me in the past - would you guys fancy him as a back-up to Rooney next season? I'd be fairly worried if you got him to be honest, think he would really flourish in your team.

Don't think he would be THAT exspensive either so Glazer could get his £2.5 million (oops, £25 million) summer fund out?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

haha icon_biggrin.gif

Thinking of starting a new wall

Sterotype Wall </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

heh, whatever

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikey G:

Anyone see The Times ratings for your players last night? It was dreadful icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When they give Gattuso a 6 for "typically naked aggression" you know that whomever did the ratings is about as clueless as Alan Green.

I hate it when Nick starts posting. I start to worry i'm not going to get all my work done in what's left of the day icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does make you wonder where the morning and early afternoon got to, doesn't it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

Where is the drunken bum BBB Nick??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he didn't drink much tbf. went home before us, fell over trying to kick a ball out of my hands and i think it hurt his pride. probably passed out now </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ah so he basically sniffed a can of bass shandy oh well such a fracking lightweight

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RSB:

Actually, wouldn't

The Manchester United thread 2007/2008 - We've got our trophy back

suffice? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Second

Archived