The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

here we go... how much bundelsiga have you seen, blah blah blah.

i've seen enough to suggest that owen hargreaves isn't of the quality we should looking for imho.

i'll be absolutely fecking ****ed beyond belief if we try to sign him.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Is it not Dishwater? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've heard both. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Both are right.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy Jordan:

someone explain to me why Fergie would lie about Ruud putting in a transfer request in 2005 AND there was no response to the contrary from the man himself? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fergie's old quote of 'when in Italy, I look under the sauce to check it is actually pasta I'm being served' applies every bit as much to himself these days.

Not saying it didn't happen, but I'm not going to take Fergie's word for it given his increasing tendency to be economical with the truth.

Why hasn't Ruud denied it? Maybe it did happen. Maybe the guy wants to get on with his new challenge and doesn't want to get into a slanging match with people at a club he still has a lot of affection for.

I'd imagine we'll see an RvN autobiog at some point, could be an interesting read. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

y'see, that's the point innit? we're basically taking one of two sides here. one will go down as you pointed out as one of our greatest ever goalscorers, but has visibly looked disinterested on the pitch in recent times, been plagued by rumours of his agent angling for a move away for years, has been on the scene for a comparative ten minutes, has basically lied about his intentions and desire to remain if those rumours are true versus a staetment from the clubs greatest ever manager where if it were proven to be lie could/would have some legal ramifications, would seriously harm his credibility and his ability to work with members of the team who are on good terms with van nistelrooy...

so, why exactly would fergie lie about it again? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why would Fergie lie? Ooh, let me think... because it comes as naturally to him as breathing?

Erm, quick, a distraction:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hyde United 1 United Reserves 3

United's second string strolled to their second pre-season win under caretaker manager Brian McClair thanks to a hat-trick from Michael Barnes.

A poor start to the game saw few chances, with Steve Pickford's shot against the bar for the hosts the closest either side came to opening the scoring.

The deadlock was broken on 36 minutes as Barnes cut inside and surprised everyone with a low shot inside the near post.

Seven minutes after the interval came Barnes' second as he fired home first-time from Kieran Lee's fine pass.

Lee Crockett made two fine saves to preserve United's lead before Barnes completed his hat-trick 13 minutes from time with a fine solo effort.

Having rampaged down the right wing, he burst into the penalty area and fired an angled effort past Hyde goalkeeper Craig Dootson.

With many of United's youngsters in action at Celtic Park on Wednesday night, McClair handed keeper Tom Heaton a late cameo as an outfield player - and the 20-year-old almost scored with his first touch.

The hosts pulled a goal back through Gerry Harrison's tidy finish nine minutes from time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Barnes icon_cool.gif

Kieran Lee icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">JBwfb. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Forgot to add. JBwqg.

He was another who's '99 performances get better every year. He took a long time to settle, was looking in decent nick by the end of that season, but never looked as good as he had for Gothenburg. He might have been fb had he stayed fit and had a second season, but he was actually short of confidence and quite tentative about taking people on when he first arrived, and took a long time to shake that off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember him being a great runner with the ball - not neccessarily the best dribbler, but just an ability to knock it past people and keep possession. And of course long shirt sleeves that cover your hands >>>> *

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

It wasn't. Remember the Champions League final (and no, this is not a cue for wrist-slitting nostalgia btw). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right. Nicky Butt has never been as important as for that one game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ronny Johnsen had some good games in the centre of midfield that year, especially in europe. And i don't think Phil Neville or Fortune had played in the middle by that point? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think Phil scored against Brondby at home in 98/99 (with that Blomqvist-imitating celebration) from midfield. We'd not signed Fortune at that point. And I suspect this has all been answered now, but I don't care \o/

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Heh me and Carter only both selecting one player, impressive stuff icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm older than you icon_frown.gif

Mine was mainly my childhood favourites bar Heinze.

Back when supporting them was a lot more magical and i was a lot less bitter and critical. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't care how old, bitter and twisted you are.

You can't get more magical than a last minute goal to secure the champions league and treble. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find it hard enough to do a top ten list as it is for anything, so i did what i do with others of this nature, whether it's films books or whatever, i just wrote down the first ten players that came into my head really thinking about my favourite united players. Then rearranged them accordingly. If i thought too much i'd be here till next week.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

According to James Stapleton was there til 1987 so would have played. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Went in 85 accoring to soccerbase. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wiki says 87

Wiki always right

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Am I the only one completely not fussed either way about Huntelaar? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no.

i'm more concerned about us "regressing" from the fluid style of play we've developed post-ruud. any new striker has to be more saha than RvN tbh.

a question lads: how big an offer is realistically "too good to turn down" for alan smith right now? ignoring the debt, and looking at it strictly from a footballing PoV. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is this in response to the rumour that Everton want him to replace Beattie in January? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmm "rumour" on RI saying that we want Beattie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

I can't wait icon_biggrin.gif

I'll be wearing my Vida shirt, Nick with his Ole one.

MON </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mart, where were those "Veni Vidi Vida" T-shirts ?

Link, please. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

this what your looking for?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

FA Semi </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the other obvious one I guess. Villa Park in 2002 as well would have been great.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by herts2002:

Saha unintentionally potentially destroying Bougherra's leg - looks very very painful </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And then manages to get up and try and run it off icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryno:

Park should just never, ever shoot again and can gtf in the summer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolute rubbish.

too busy convulsing in laughter at england star kieran richardson to reply to this...

I'm much happier with Larsson than Rossi to be fair, nothing against Rossi but Larsson has been there and done it so many times before that the experience factor is significant for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fair enough. but if rossi is really the next big thing that fergie keeps proclaiming him to be, then it's difficult to justify gambling on a 35 year old player for three months ahead of him, surely. makes absolutely zero sense at all.

it was clear early enough that the newcastle loan would not be extended that we didn't need to sign larsson if fergie really thinks rossi will cut it. his age or experience can't be used against him anymore - it's not like he's some raw 16 year old. he's either good enough, or he's not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Personally I didn't think that the Larsson move was a gamble really, I was always quite confident that he would do a job. Ultimately I'd have Larsson in the side over Rossi atm, despite the points you have made.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Scouse in the next draw would be fecking amazing icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*despairs* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's just wanting it so he can ask that girl to the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes but thats my seat he'd be after so he'd have fat chance of taking her to the game

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

There are no positives here, stop straw clutching. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

here was me thinking we'd gone through to the quarter finals icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Getting through against (no disrespect here, honest) the likes of Reading is not something to get that excited about, tbf. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

away, against 6th place, with a reserve side out. funnily enough i'll take a win in those circumstances

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

I'm leaning incerasingly towards Park on the wing with Ronnie up top.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds good to me, if we ever were to sign some other good wingers I'd love to see Ronaldo permanently up top.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Wyn Davies is the only other player to sign for us from them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Though we did get the likes of Meredith etc from them

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think we saw why Gaby has never got a run a centre-half for us before, he was diabolical tbh once he switched inside. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the opposite, I think he was so much better in the centre than on the left hand side yesterday.

As for the Owen story - if its a stop gap then it could be a good move, he will score goals for us. However I personally would like to see Dong and Campbell given a chance ahead of signing Owen. Shaun Custis is having a right moan about this story (mainly at Newcastle United) on Jimmy Hill's Sunday Supplement at the moment.

• 1 month later...

from what i've heard i don't think we ever actually signed him in any kind of official way. guy i know is very in with the youth coaches/scouts at united and says when he mentioned Rincon to them all he got was blank looks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Ben Foster has played down the implications of the knee injury which has sidelined him.

The Manchester United ace has been diagnosed with a knee ligament injury, which means he will miss the start of the new Premiership season.

The England international had been looking to challenge for the number one jersey at Old Trafford following a successful loan spell at Watford - but that will now have to be put on hold.

"It's irritating rather than really painful. I thought it had cleared up after it troubled me last season," Foster told the Daily Mirror.

"I'm having it scanned and we'll take it from there but it's very early to say what the outcome may be.

"I suppose if something has to be done this is the best time because I've got loads of time to be ready for the new season."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

More lazy reporting, these quotes were obviously from befoe yesterday's announcement yet get reported today as 'new'.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

I'm leaving OTF tonight so Mika is free to do what he wants (if I was the one stopping the poor little cherub from posting in here). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

After your outburst in the Botu thread I'm worried this is actually true icon_frown.gif

Archived