The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

It's a factor, but I'd have thought the game (just as happens irl) would manafacture rivalries between title contenders, so that list should purely be on genuine rivalries, in which case Arsenal should be on about 5 and Chelsea nowhere to be seen.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hadn't thought of it that way. That's certainly possible. I was factoring in the 'title contender' rivalry assuming that it must be included in the same stat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Liverpool 21 (apparently 21 means players are never transferred between clubs)

Citeh 20

Leeds 18

No-one else above a ten, and certainly no place for Blackburn, Newcastle and West ****ing Ham on the list icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

See again that doesn't quite fit. If we're factoring in likelihood of players moving, Leeds should be lower than that. Unless they've been correctly marked as our feeder club and that overrides this stat.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

im more hoping than anything.

this isnt just your usual tabloid muck with no quotes other than 'a club insider' who reveals the player is unhappy. there are quotes accredited to the lad suggesting theres been contact with him and mir and that when hes elected (elections on sunday i believe) he hopes a deal will be done between united and madrid. hardly surprising news as hes never looked suited to the english game and id have put him at the top of a 'lets get the **** out of here' list should things not be going well.

wait and see what happens, i definitely wouldnt be shocked should their be truth in the rumours. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why don't you think he's suited to the English game?

i thought lee martin looked excellent, got fouled so many times it showed celtic struggled to deal with him. two footed, good crosser, wants the ball. i like what i saw.

richardson i also actually do rate, dont see the hatred for him really. smells of the cliched 'oh no, hes a londoner he MUST be a flash cockney wannabe geezer' opinion to me imo. i think he will feature quite heavily this season and i think he'll do quite well too.

scholes looking awesome SUCH a plus as well.

one thing i would say is id like rossi to go out on loan to a championship club, because i think right now hes a bit lightweight upfront and gets pushed off the ball a bit to easily by big centre halves. somewhere like west brom for 6 months would be good for him

even the knew kit has grown on me tonight. first day of optimism this pre-season icon14.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">£13m Owen signs for Utd

By JOHN KAY

OWEN HARGREAVES will sign for Manchester United today.

The England midfielder is set to be unveiled at Old Trafford after agreeing a dream £13million move.

Hargreaves, 25, got his wish after revealing United manager Alex Ferguson had made him an offer he could not refuse.

And the Canadian-born star pleaded with his club to agree a deal and allow him to move to Old Trafford.

Hargreaves, who starred in last night’s 4-0 win over Greece, said: “The offer from Manchester United is fantastic.

“Particularly as an England player because you never know if such an opportunity will arise again.â€

Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich insisted they did not want to lose Hargreaves and initially demanded £17million while United only offered £12m.

But once the player signalled his intentions to leave, the two clubs thrashed out a compromise figure.

Hargreaves is the defensive midfielder Fergie has been searching for.

The United boss switched his attentions to the England star after his World Cup heroics when Hargreaves was the only one of Sven Goran Eriksson’s squad to emerge from the finals with any credit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guess the paper..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

What are the chances of getting tickets for aways in copenhagen/benfica? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'm gonna try for copenhagen or nowt and certain people will hae to fund it themselves this time naming no names ofc

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Smith's comeback continues

Alan Smith continues his pursuit of match fitness as the Reserves begin their league season at Ewen Fields on Thursday night.

The 25-year-old striker is joined by new signing Tomasz Kuszczak as a strong United side entertain Blackburn Rovers.

Smith partners Phil Marsh in attack, while Chris Eagles, David Jones, Ritchie Jones and Jamie Mullan comprise the midfield.

Kuszczak starts his first game since joining United behind a defence of Kieran Lee, Danny Rose, Ryan Shawcross and David Gray.

United: Kuszczak, Lee, Rose, Shawcross, Gray, R Jones, Mullan, D Jones, Marsh, Smith, Eagles.

Substitutes: Ngalula, Heaton, S Evans, Barnes, Burns. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

like a new signing :*)

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pickles:

Might go along to see FC this weekend. Chaps fancy meeting for a beer before the game?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>Looks like im coming up for this one now, been offered a lift

Should be good

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone feel like posting one of our quasi-regular updates charting the progress of our loanees?

From MOTD last night Rossi looked bright and was unlucky not to get on the scoresheet & T-Ho's been doing very well for the Toffee's it seems. Foster looked good against Spurs as well.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Team news for Celtic

"I'll make a couple of changes for Tuesday (to freshen things up)." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're screwed then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here we bloody go again.

Stop this now, young Matt. It's not good for your health. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your overconfidence will be your downfall icon_frown.gif

Celtic have what, won 15 of their last 16 home CL games against some of the best teams in the world etc. It's going to be an incredibly tough game, as is Sunday.

Hence I'd snatch your hand off for two draws.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryno:

Right, I'm going to bed. 2nd half better be worth watching in the morning. icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Night, mate. icon_wink.gif

Raining rather hard in Manchester now, then. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The rain just too late icon13.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

heh.. clever including five centre backs and only three full backs.

drop mcgrath and call in parker i guess... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't bother balancing my squad to be honest. It was fortune that i had 4 full backs, and i've got no left winger. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hahahahahahahahahaha, only just noticed you didn't include Giggs icon_biggrin.gif

Just waiting for Richardson to come good, eh?

• 2 weeks later...

Afaic, it looks better. I will not change. icon_razz.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't the fact that it's utterly wrong matter? icon_biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't believe in fate and do not believe it is having a bearing on our season right now.

It's something our old teams used to be able to do with regularity but something that we havent seen probably since the 1999 Treble winning side.

These players seem to have found a new belief that we can win games. That nothing is over until it's over. It does feel like luck, but i think it's more because we're unacustomed to it than anything else.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Realised I forgot Rossi, and would probably have Howard in over Bosnich.

Apart from Rossi, we've never had another Italian then? And we've never had a German either? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Taibi </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And Carlo Sartori.

• 2 weeks later...

the award for Biggest Disappointment is next:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Performance and elimination in Milan

Losing to Southend

Arsenal and West Ham doing doubles over us

Number of games we bottled it and went 451/433

Louis Saha

Not relegating West Ham

FA Cup Final defeat/performance

Not doing the double after being so close

Realising we're not good enough in Europe

Fergie loaning Rossi out rather than keeping him

Seeing us line up 451 vs Benfica

Gary Nev's season-ending injury

Giggs' exasperating performances

BBB in Milan

Pompey away

Seeing the number 23 come up in green lights on the 4th official's board.

Glazer not dying </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived