The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> What exactly was Ronaldo supposed to do? Rooney stamped on a team-mate of his. Was he supposed to stand and admire it? Chuckle at the bulldog spirit of his Manchester United colleague? If Ronaldo had stamped on Gary Neville in similar circumstances and Rooney had piled in, we'd have salivated over the all-for-one-one-for-all spirit of England. That's all Ronaldo did. He was then pushed by Rooney, a gesture which he didn't seek to magnify by going down, and the ref decided to send Rooney off. That's the ref's fault for overreacting quite pathetically to the push, not Ronaldo's.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

And while I remember, Gregg suggesting that Mika was intellectually lacking was pretty damn funny to me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He doesnt read, he doesnt listen to music, he doesnt watch movies.

He's really rather sad tbh.

• 2 weeks later...

I reckon if we get Senna for £4m it frees up money for a striker, instead of spending £20m+ on Maschereno or you never know, Senna could be a smoke screen and we'll land both him and Tevez

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Two points on that. The first is that if there is an effect, it will be a more gradual one. In situations when gates do start to fall, it's people drifting away, not a mass exodus. And it will be on field performances as well as prices that affect that.

The second point is that the first area where you will start to see the effect if it happens most likely won't be season ticket sales. It will more likely show up in cup and early european games, and then in the additional sales for the 'lesser' league games.

I also wonder how much the uptake of season tickets at the moment is down to how hard it was to get them in the past. I'm sure there are lots of people who have dreamt for years of owning one, but couldn't due to demand. It may be that the thrill of finally being able to own one will override any misgivings over the price or the situation at the minute, but that may not last to keep them renewing year on year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you just have to look at this thread for the evidence of pretty much everything you've said.

For one thing, there simply have never been so many season tickets available. The club went years without releasing new ones (hence the number of people well into their hundreds still going to games) and now pretty much anyone with a credit card can get hold of one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wakey06:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Timmy Howard:

I'm not by a TV, is that official news coming out from one of the clubs? If not whats the source? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bild newspaper </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So the BBC are sourcing a German paper with only a few random quotes?

Okay until something concrete comes out of OT or Bayern (and its on SSN's breaking news ticker) I'm not going to get carried away.

Yes, it'd be a good signing but lets not get ahead of ourselves. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spoil sport </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry - necessary voice of reason it seems.

Don't want a minor repeat of July 14th do we?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pickles:

Was thinking, how good would this be....

GK VdS

DR G Nevs

DL Heinze

DC Rio

DC Wesley/Vidic

MC Carrick

MC Hargreaves

AMC Scholes

AML Giggsy

AMR Ronaldo

SC Rooney

icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Swap Rooney and Giggs around and then put Saha on for Giggs and i'b be happier

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

selling Ole?

get out of it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the problem in here. Too much looking at what players were instead of what they are, and too many people assuming if you criticise a former great you are somehow not showing enough respect for what they did in the past.

That sort of thinking is how we hung onto Giggs through pretty much 3 seasons of mediocrity, Keane through about 2 seasons too many, and most importantly of all it's how Liverpool stopped winning championships.

There's no room for sentiment.

As for keeping Richardson over Giggs, it's quite simply the tiny chance he'll fulfill his potential over the tinier chance Giggs will forget the last 3 seasons of mediocrity and come good again.

Although if i hadn't forgotten Eagles he'd have been out of the door ahead of them both. icon_biggrin.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Think ultimately he needed sending out on loan at least a season earlier than he actually was, maybe two. He was consistently excellent for the reserves, to the extent that it was blatantly apparent he needed more of a challenge. Once you get past 20/21 without breaking through, you've generally missed the boat I guess.

Weird one, Fergie doesn't usually get into the business of hyping youngsters up yet he's regularly been fulsome in his praise of Jonah, and yet has never really given him a chance at all.

ho hum

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hairwad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

The fact that we're through in no way makes the team ir the management immune from criticism, when mistakes are made they have to be pointed out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

or players </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They were generally included in "team" icon_biggrin.gif

• 1 month later...

On MOTD they had Man Utd winning easily, us 15 points behind in 3rd and Arsenal 1 behind us. Can't agree, unless Chelsea get back to the form they showed for the last 2 seasons very sharpish i'd be confident of us getting 2nd - as atm they're dead in the water.

When is the date of the Man Utd game at Anfield?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">fake edit - I just looked up their site, they shockingly, are not on the retro bandwagon. Missing out there glazer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And that's trolling how? I know alot of teams that are selling "retro" shirts.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

The definitely going to be joining Manchester United, no doubt about it, cos the papers say so list

Mikel Arteta - Everton (Guardian)

Dimitar Berbatov - Spurs (Guardian, Sunday Mirror)

Jermain Defoe - Spurs (Guardian)

Owen Hargreaves - Bayern Munich (Times)

Klaas Jan Huntelaar - Ajax (Guardian)

Running Total: 5

Predicted Final Total

Irish - 170

James07? - 112

bling - 102

pjburrage 99

WSR - 95

theis - 92

alilaw - 89

Nezell - 87

14AlanSmithifb 85

Hero of the day - 83

vanester 82

T!mbo - 80

BBB - 79

gonch19 - 78

Bagpuss 77

Pickles - 74

julesMUFC - 71

ajw2255 - 70

Nick OGS20 - 68

Maverick 64

davidbowie 63

Ryno - 62

ACou2000 - 60

Gregg Carter 59

Jimlad - 56

ericcantona7 - 55

mark g 52

keyser - 50

player_65 - 46

SLO_Fila 43

Taz Devil - 41

Saha - 39

finneys13 - 36

Master Blasta - 32

EmmYouEffSee - 29

RedBlood - 26

qwerty2k - 17

Razor Eddie 16

? - 15 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pickles:

Not one post from a Liverpool fan has failed to have a spelling mistake in it today icon14.gif

*Double checks post*

*Treble checks* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As long as you can spell it's fine to wish pain on people iirc?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

quite literally NO excuse, you're bigger scum than pickles </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

shut it ffs, blings worse </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not really.

arsenal fan you iirc? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

arsenal our rivals are they?

twat

• 3 weeks later...

its not like fergie to start someone just because its 'his dream.'

i rate heinze less and less these days, that bit of play where he flew into ferreira and completely missed letting lampard get a shot in in the first half pretty much sums him up for me. too erratic and easily exposed. his crossing was poor too.

far prefer evra, though id be gutted to see gaby go as he'd make good backup.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

A goal down at Anfield. 15 minutes to go. Park on the bench. Would you really expect him to come on and make any difference at all? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

O'Shea? Look what happened there.

Oh & has nobody else read that the Anderson transfer is going to be looked into? Cos when he went to Porto some company bought 75% of him. So they need to establish he isn't owned by a 3rd party. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The question was would you expect him to, not is it outside the realms of possibility that he would. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A goal down at Anfield I wouldn't expect anyone to make a difference in the last 15 minutes except maybe Scholes/Ronaldo/Rooney. Anyone else wouldn't have that killer pass/move in them. At least Park wouldn't stand tere hands on hips after his lastest flick went straight to the opposition.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

the only time i'll consider the CS as competitive is when talking about Ruud's goal tally </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh my, picking and choosing to suit.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryno:

Nobody added Ustari to the list yet? Shambles. icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nobody provided a source </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it's on sky sports

Archived