The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Jimlad, 1,500 words on why we should/shouldn't sign Carrick. GO! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll put a pin in that one while the footy is on, but good topic Mika!

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 26th June 2006 – Say Hello Zakora, Wave goodbye Carrick

The whole complexion of the Tottenham midfield looks set to change after events this weekend where it seems certain that Ivory Coast midfielder Didier Zakora will sign for Spurs, leaving the door open for contract want away Carrick to leave.

Zakora is quoted as saying "I am a Tottenham player now. The two clubs have reached an agreement and I can't wait. In my mind I'm already a Tottenham player. I've not spoken to anyone from the club as my agent has conducted all the talks, but I am happy. Tottenham were the ones who made it concrete and, from the moment I knew I would be a first-team regular, I didn't think twice. I chose Tottenham because they are going places and I was assured I would get plenty of chance to show what I can do. I learnt about Tottenham's interest a few months ago. Talks started as the World Cup got underway and, fortunately, went very well. Tottenham proved to me that they are improving as a team and have the ambition to go much higher. I wanted to join a Premiership club and the chance to live in London was an added attraction."

Perhaps the key statement in that is “from the moment I knew I would be a first-team regular, I didn't think twice†i.e. there is going to be a massive hole in the midfield where Carrick used to play. It seems that Spurs are resigned to losing Carrick which is a bloody shame just as we were getting used to him (and even more so given Mendes was offloaded to give him more space at Spurs). You can never tell what has gone on behind the scenes and in the Bosman era, the players get what they want – whether it means to break contract for a better offer or to sit on a contract when the club wants rid. No doubt, the directors will do what is the best interests of the club and its future. As a supporter, its becoming increasingly difficult to form any attachment to players with their mobility and to the clubs for their general treatment of fans.

The official site has responded to the Zakora speculation in the affirmative and Hughton has been wheeled out to put out a very thin statement refuting the inevitability of Carrick’s departure and intimating that this is the future we have to look forward to – as soon as player does ok at Spurs, their reward is to move upwards to a CL team (or grab an improved contract and then look to move to a CL side). That poisoning episode/giving up 2 points at Scumbury is starting to have an even greater impact. Do the commercial realities in modern football mean Spurs place is a higher level feeder club – taking players from relegated clubs, making them better and then moving them on?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not news I suppose, but looks like spurs have given up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Choose Dual nationality </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The point is Dong can't be Dual Nationality. You can't hold two passports if you are Chinese. He would have to rennounce his Chinese Citzenship.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

Which penalty is this that keeps getting mentioned?

I may well have erased it from my memory. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There was NEVER a penalty icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Just thinking - why is it that the red cards for Scholes and Rooney in a friendly count towards a suspension in competitive games, and yet the fact that they sat out the second game in Amsterdam doesn't count as part of any suspension? Surely you can't have it both ways? :/

The whole thing stinks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah i said that at the time.

and i agree with taz about scholes. while i expected him to get three games, it was really only worth a second yellow and one match.

Damn, £17M? Talk about overspending. I mean, Both Carrick & Hargreaves are good players but at £35M that's waaaay too much. I've always felt Hargreaves was better than Carrick anyways and I said that even before the world cup.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

I was in E332 icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Figured from the pics! icon_biggrin.gif

Down on row 6 though icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

28 here, nice enough view though.

The couple at the back singing the Michael Sheilds song constantly, thought it was Mart icon_biggrin.gif

Ronaldo's reception when his name was read out and Ole's introduction easily the loudest parts.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

happy with the rest of the team tho, just seems non sensical to play around anymore with the defence that we have to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can only PRAY that Evra does just have a slight knock. Which he can play through if needs be.. but they dont want to risk.

Seriously dont want to hear Fergie just dropped him

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

If Saha gets injured for France I'm going to go ballistic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well thank god he doesn't have a bad injury record...wait...

icon_frown.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Vidic v Drogba.. given their respective form... is going to be titanic </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If SKY have any sense they'll sort out a prize-fight graphic for that confrontation...

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Giggs officially has a calf injury, but the story going around is that he's actually fallen out with Fergie.

Wouldn't that be just typical, if Fergie is his best mate while he was ****, and falls out with him now he's come into some sort of form. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That on RI or something?

While he wasn't the only one who could have done better, the majority of the fault has to lie with Carrick. While Evra could have been tighter, his first responsibility is to stop a cross, not a pull back.

Carrick basically just kept running back towards his own goal and ended up almost as deep as his centre backs, rather than marking a player. He did exactly what O'Shea kept doing when he played that position. If you're the defensive midfielder and you're not marking anyone, you should be looking to pick up any midfielder at the edge of the box, but he didn't start to move out until their player had picked up the ball, which was far too late.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

://///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Scatter: So, if this goes through and Mascherano goes to Liverpool - do you start with the face or go for Fergie's nuts from the off? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It'll be a joke if FIFA allow it. basically what they'll be saying is what seems to happen with so many other rules like the pro-licence etc, that what constitutes exceptional circumstances is basically someone saying "we'd like to not abide by this rule on this occasion please".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

So what would you do if you ended up stuck in train carriage with David Elleray? Would you (like me) spend the entire journey going "It... nah, it couldn't be..."? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\o/ Snipes \o/

Post more mate, you're ace.

In answer to the game other than the CL final... would have to be United - Blackburn in 93. Even watching it on the tele, the raw emotion like that was probably the only thing that came close to Barca 99.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Righto, lets start an ongoing list of players linked to us.

How many can we get up to before the transfer window closes on the 31 August?

And who can get closest to getting the final number?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

The definitely going to be joining Manchester United, no doubt about it, cos the papers say so list

Mikel Arteta

Dimitar Berbatov

Jermain Defoe

Running Total: 3

Predicted Final Total

James07? - 112

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From http://football.guardian.co.uk/rumourmill/index/0,,2067018,00.html

For now just post your guess and I’ll add it to the list, in future cut and paste the list and add the names as and when you see something. You’ll need to provide some form of linkage...from something approaching a sensible source.

Extra rules, such as a list of reputable sources can be discussed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richie J:

and kuszczak could get a medal if he plays the last two games no? you need to play 10 iirc </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hes played 5 games in the prem so no. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ah, i misread the stats as 5 starts, 3 as sub. and then couldn't work out where the 3 sub appearances had come from icon_biggrin.gif

chris eagles a yank though!

Oh, and the NOTW have done their season ratings...and as usual they take some believing.

Ronaldo

Rooney

Giggs

Ferdinand

Scholes

Neville

Van Der Saar

Evra

Vidic

Smith

Park

Solskjaer

O'Shea

Carrick

Fletcher

Brown

Richardson

Saha

Heinze

Silvestre

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

tier 3 is an absolute c**t. 20+ times a season? never again ta

Si, you keeping your ST next season? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah and keiths having t'other one icon14.gif.

Archived