The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for christs sake. He's 20 years old. He's still learning the game ffs.

He's improved a great deal as a player in the time that he's been at the club and i'm sure he'll be able to improve further as a player as he gets older.

We should be striving to keep him not trying to force the guy through the doors, packing his bags for him.

Look, we can all rave about 'Hargers' or we can put his performance into context (and I don't want to detract from a superb achievement)

He ran his arse off

He was a tackling machine

he scored a penalty

Um

Thats it. He was brilliant, exactly the man you want when you're down to 10 men.

Do I think he can do a job? Yes. Is he better than John O'Shea? Yes. Is he the solution to England and United's midfield woes? I don't think so.

It's called an opinion pet, and I actually think I was completely right even in the light of this performance. He still can't pass or play attacking football of any kind. His one moment in the corner was fantastic, but that is literally the first time I've seen him beat a man and not lose control and watch it go out for a throw in.

Not that the English are reactionary or anything.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moreclaw:

tbh that shirt is actually looking more like one of our's icon_biggrin.gif

You lot don't usually have any white on your shirts do you, usually a black trim? While we usually have white... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Todays announcement is that the 2 clubs are merging into one.

The fans would love it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pago:

what colour is this seasons away kit going to be? is it the same blue (?) one as last season? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the third kit now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by only one keano (robbie):

But in relative terms...

I mean, he's only 1 or 2 years younger than the real Pirlo. Still plenty of time for improvement though i suppose, and he will be awesome for you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't Pirlo 29?

as long as its not silly money then diarra will be fine. silly money = over........£12m. ish.

and as for mcshane, he looked a championship defender. good at tackling but not much in the thinking/passing department.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Because I despise the person doing it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Refusing to acknowledge, and even hating, true talent icon13.gif

You're worse than Pol Pot

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

I'd say we're relatively unambitious now. Of course, all the rhetoric at the club speaks of winning the title, having a good tilt at Europe etc etc, but judging by our transfer market moves our actual aim this season probably doesn't differ from last season - 'top four, knockout stages of Europe, maybe a domestic cup'. That's the sort of scenario the Glazers will be banking on I'd imagine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly. Spread a few stories, hint at interest in Torres, Tevez, high profile players, superstars. There are enough morons amongst the fanbase that they'll lap it up, shrug their shoulders and say "at least they tried" and will happily accept the second rate signings and the net outlay of, erm, minus £4m.

Just come back from a nice shopping trip where I purchased the new away top for £31.50. icon14.gif

Saha, if you see this before tomorrow morning UK time, let me know if you want me to get you one because it works out at approx $75 and you can pay me back for it. I can get home or away at this price and it is thoroughly genuine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Van Lampard:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Question: Will we win any games against Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea this season? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In my opinion no. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's my oppinion too. Unless we get the destructive midfielder in January that we need we won't win any games against them since their midfield will completely overwhelm us.

• 5 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

THE Glazer family have hit back at continued criticism of their ownership of Manchester United by some sections of the Red Devils support.

This week's resignations of finance director Nick Humby and commercial counterpart Andy Anson have triggered another wave of attacks from the anti-Glazer brigade.

Although United chief executive David Gill has insisted there were no sinister motives behind the double departure, he did admit it was a 'strange' occurrence.

The Manchester United Supporters' Trust (MUST), formerly Shareholders United, called on Humby and Anson to 'come clean' about life at Old Trafford under the Glazers, who they believe have little hope of paying off the massive debt incurred while completing the £790million takeover last spring.

However, family sources claim the debt, the repayments of which were reduced to £62million per year in interest following negotiation of a refinancing package in July this year, is little more than a red herring and insist United remains a stable and attractive business.

"The debt issue is a red herring," said a family spokesman.

"The club actually carried more debt as a PLC, it just did so in a different way because, effectively, shares are IOUs to shareholders."

"Manchester United is a stable asset, with a stable cash flow. The whole refinancing package was built around the optimism about the club going forward."

"Revenues are actually increasing because of the stadium expansion and new sponsorship deals, while there is also the windfall provided by the new TV contract to take into account."

Sponsorship

Even more than the record £56.5million shirt sponsorship deal with American banking giant AIG, the Glazers' feel the refinancing of the loans taken out to complete the controversial buyout provide proof of the confidence felt in financial circles about the ownership of United.

Although plenty of pundits, as well as many fans, felt the price Glazer paid was too high, it is now thought the value of United has actually increased.

"No-one could argue Manchester United is not worth more than it was 16 months ago," added the spokesman.

"Maybe it was understandable there would be some concern when the takeover first took place but people now realise Malcolm Glazer is a responsible owner.

"The club is well run and well managed - and the cost of the debt has been brought down."

Fans will argue ticket prices have increased significantly, although Old Trafford remains a virtual sell-out for every Premiership and Champions League game even though capacity has now reached a staggering 76,500, generating around £3million per match.

And, while it is also pointed out the £18.6million invested in Michael Carrick this summer still leaves a trading surplus following the sales of Ruud van Nistelrooy and Obi Jon Mikel, more cash is available should Sir Alex Ferguson wish to expand his squad during the January transfer window.

"Investors are clamouring to get involved because they see the attraction of what the Glazers bring to the party in the sports business and Manchester United brand," said the spokesman.

"They are private people but they are passionate about the success of Manchester United." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

So who do we have as a backup striker if Smith goes out on loan & Solskjaer is injured?

I am talking about players whose primary position is a forward/striker here, not about moving Giggs or Ronaldo forward. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Smith off in Jan ? Rossi will be back then, right ?

• 3 weeks later...

Why do you care about being in with a shout for Euro aways Nick? It'll only be the UEFA...

NB: Since Mika has announced that he reckons that, and I quote, 'we'll do Benfica', I have appointed myself chief pessimist for our European campaign in the short term.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Vidic megged again for the goal /o\

Pires777: Go **** out in the match thread. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was Rio that got megged.

Oh and even if we end up winning the treble this year i have lost all credibility in Fergie. I understand the squad is thin etc etc etc but we need 2 ****ING goals and he sends in O'SHEA??? For what? Why the **** does he send in O'Shea when we need 2 goals. Ffs send Park in for the love of god even if he hasn't alot of match practice, don't send ****ing O'Shea who has absolutely no idea of what attacking play means. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty sure it was Vidic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As for the squad thing:

Keep

VDS

Foster

Neville

Evra

Evans

Simpson

Ferdinand

Vidic

Ronaldo

Scholes

Carrick

Park

Giggs

Rooney

Solskjaer

Sell only if an immense offer comes in and the money is used on new players

Kuszczak

Saha

Rossi

Piqué

Martin

Should probably move on/be moved on for the good of their own careers if we get better replacements AND decent bids

Fletcher

Brown

Smith

Heinze

Actively look to sell

Silvestre

O'Shea

Eagles

Arrange kneecapping for and claim insurance

Richardson

-------------------------

cba going into more detail at this stage. so much depends on who we sign (if anyone).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

**** it.

Never even got ****ing going. Gave them WAY too much respect. A load of ******** really.

Scouser can **** right off though. They've won **** all yet, and as someone rightly pointed out, it's nigh on two decades since they were the best in their own back yard, so they can crawl down whatever hole they came out of and ****ing rot for all I care.

*****. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

:*)

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Just when you thought Kieran Richardson couldn’t bring any more shame onto the good name of Manchester United Football Club icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Referring to his cousin being on Big Bollox or something else?

• 2 weeks later...

The Saha rumours have been overruled :

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Stellar Group statement regarding Manchester United's Louis Saha

Following quotes attributed to Ranko Stojic in the Manchester Evening News last night, the Stellar Group and Louis Saha would like to make clear the following:

- Louis Saha is exclusively contracted to the Stellar Group who advise the player in all football and career-related matters

- Louis Saha has absolutely no ties with Ranko Stojic, who has no authority whatsoever to speak on behalf of the player or his management group

- Louis has successfully undergone knee surgery in America and is now undergoing rehabilitation in the South of France. He hopes and fully expects to be fit for the start of the new season and any claims to the contrary are completely false.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived