The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

feels like fergie has almost backed himself into a corner now by announcing that we had the deal done and revealing were searching for a number two quite desperately. interesting way to approach a negotiation that one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just can't believe there isn't some half-decent central European keeper hanging around on a Bosman somewhere.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Apart from Miller who was free anyway and possibly Evra (though that remains to be seen), all of the signings since 2003 have been good imo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jury still out on Smith as well? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not for me really, he's been better than I expected, though maybe that says more about my expectations of him than anything else icon_biggrin.gif I wouldn't call him a failure in anyway though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's not held down a first team place, and will be going back up front after failing to make the grade as a midfielder. You couldn't exactly call him a success yet could you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't belive some of you are calling Smith a failure, at the start of his first season, he single handledly won us so many points (Balckburn away, Middlesbrough home for example). He has shown wondeful determination and whilst still not a "First teamer" an indispensible part of the squad, especially now that Ruud has left.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

If Chelsea made a 'name your price' offer for Rio, what would you do? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

£20m + Gallas + Essien + SWP + Mikel (just to p*ss the latter right off).

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wakey06:

We'll know more about where they're heading by end of today, fingers crossed they land at manchester airport and not heathrow or gatwick icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heathrow, they've got a match at the Emirates stadium?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

mark's the biggest glory hunter of us all, he hopped on the bandwagon the week after the '68 champions league win. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The first league title in 1908 actually icon_rolleyes.gif

Naw it's middle aged people that live there, the landlord is actually a customer at work icon_biggrin.gif, had a chat with him, when I discovered he was the landlord I mentioned that we drink at the wall, he had no problems with it (this was a few months ago).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's a bloody brilliant result, that is. Difficult conditions, a bogey ground and team, missed chances in the first half that could have got to the players. Not as 'sparkling' a performance as the last two league games, but these are the sort of results that (whispers) win you championships...

Quite tight at the back, although it got a little unneccessarily nervous towards the end of the game - you make a good point about Evra's positioning, Jim. I thought Carrick was really quiet to be honest, and he's lucky he's got someone of the quality of Scholes alongside him dictating the tempo and moving the ball on quickly and effectively. Ronaldo played well, always a threat, but Giggs and Rooney looked a tad off (this could have had something to do with the fact that they were frequently playing where the other should be, ie Rooney on the left and Giggs up top - I'm not quite sure of the reasoning behind this). Saha played well - strong, pacey, showed some nice touches and scored of course.

MoM: Scholesy

2nd: Saha

Great support, as always. Totally dominating other north-west crowds that could get on the teams back, so wp to the lads that went.

Fletcher set up Ruud's goal in the Fenerbache game rather awesomely icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From the bench.

Has your scrap book of 'awesome things Darren Fletcher has done' reached it's second page yet? :safetywinkles:

That article above has a bit on the Fletch and him not getting so much stick this season.

Now i'm not going to speak for everyone but i will give my views on why my Fletcher dislike has gone down.

While the kid has bulked up a bit and that has helped his game the main reason i have got off his back is the fact he isnt a first choice player anymore.

I never had a problem with him being a squad player and i am quite happy to have him in the squad but i never thought he was good enough to play the amount of games he was and the fact he used to keep Ronaldo or Giggs out used to rive me nuts.

But i think now he has the right role in the squad and people are willing to overlook his ability or lack there of and you can appreciate a player coming in when needed and giving his all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Umney:

Bale is good from when I've gone to Southampton matches with my Saints supporting mate. But he isn't £8m good, wouldn't even put him down as £4m good at the time being. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont believe we have signed him but if we did the figure would not be based on how good he is but how good he could be.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

only just seen the Rossi goal

he's just class icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't get too attached, Fergie clearly going to offload him soon.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Reds still going for Owen

Sir Alex Ferguson is refusing to give up on his bid to sign Owen Hargreaves.

The Bayern Munich midfielder admitted last week that United had lodged an official bid - reported to be £20million - to sign him in the January transfer window. But Bayern boss Felix Magath insisted on Tuesday that there would be no changes to his squad this month.

United have been tracking the England international, who celebrated his 26th birthday last weekend, since the summer. And Sir Alex remains hopeful a deal will eventually be agreed.

"I'm not giving up on anything that makes us better," he insisted after being asked about the situation with Hargreaves. "It's looking more difficult as the days go on [to do any business]. We've been active in one or two other areas and, although I don't anticipate anything happening, we're still hopeful.[/b/

"January is never an easy time to sign players. If you look at the top four clubs there is never much movement [in the market].

"There is a lot to consider when you bring in a player at this time of the season and clubs don't always want to sell because they have got their own needs."

Meanwhile, United appear likely to continue the pursuit of Gareth Bale. Southampton have already rejected offers for the talented left-back, with Tottenham also said to be interested. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fergie on drugs?

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> "If Barcelona win at Liverpool they will be favourites but they face an almost impossible task to win at Anfield." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So if Barca face an "almost impossible task to win at Anfield" then Fergie must be confident about our chances at the weekend icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

because it can't possibly be mindgames against the scouse can it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

Tuesday May 8th is rumoured atm for that game because quite frankly Chelsea have no other date to play it, given the FA refuse to extend the season beyond the 13th. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would that mean you're also playing on the Thursday? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thurs 10th May is earmarked for Spurs H, which is scheduled for April 7th, but Spurs are in Seville on April 5th and are allowed to ask for a 24 hour delay to that game. We're unlikely to accept because we're in Valencia on Tues 10th April, so the next available date is then, apparently.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

Today at work I heard the most ridiculous excuse for Roma's performance last night.

Apparently the team were told to lose by officials (at the club ? Can't be sure whether he was pointing at club or Government) - in order to deflect any heat that may arise over last week.

icon_biggrin.gif Italian, he is, btw. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

I liked Eagles goal icon14.gif

Serious question not trying to troll: Why did Rooney make a point of going to the Everton fans and kissing the Man Utd badge? I thought he was still an Everton fan at heart having been there since 12 or whenever he joined?, or has he lost all interest for them after Moyles is suing him? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it's been answered in various ways but basically why shouldn't he when he's getting all manner of stick for the whole game? if mongy evertonians can't handle the fact that he made a necessary move to fulfil his potential and realise his ambitions - making them a fortune in the process (and probably making them a better team) - and choose to hurl non-stop abuse at him, why shouldn't he give a little back to get under their skin?

plus, once a blue, always a red ofc

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Having watched the full game earlier today, I have concluded that Fabregas >>>> Terry/Lampard and the latter are MASSIVE c**ts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It took you having to watch the game today to figure that out? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah fair enough, not really, but it confirmed things in my mind. And always worth reiterating.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

MUTV free atm for some reason. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

player of the year awards tonight, either that's ace timing or (more likely) deliberate. seem to remember the awards being on freeview last year as well.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by orion318:

Utd will play a positional change pacy attack.

Anderson is a playmaker, a fast one too, if given the chance and if he can take on the physical side of British football he will quickly overtake scholes for the AMC role, but paul will probably just go into the middle along side carrick/hargreaves.

Nani i expect will pan out a little like cronaldo did...first season will come on from the bench and will be buffed up physically..and will be at his best for his 2nd season.

If you guys can hold on to Ronaldo at this pace you'll soon be unstoppable in attack.

Your attack will be so so fast next season icon_eek.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There was a link to a thread/article where someone was analysing Uniteds formation and after recent transfer happenings it looks as though we'll employ those same tactics.

Anyone got the link?

Anyone doing the 3 games in 3 days?

I was looking into Doncaster then getting back to London on Saturday as it's FC v AFC Wimbledon but i don't think i can do it

Will try for a Wembley ticket though so that and the FC game

What about Glentoran anyone going to do that?

Archived