The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"We've got the players we know that," </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not for much longer, mind you. They're all off to Madrid.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daaaaave:

what were you doing last night keyser? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Think i saw him at an all you can eat Chinese in Burton.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

you're making excuses. The fact is we jammed the league when we won it and what the opposition do is largely irrelevant if you're doing your best, with the right players playing the right way. United have done nothing since we won the league and have gone backwards.

As for Madrid, competant manager, stronger backline and now Ruud upfront they're a different proposition. Certainly different to Bayern who are, lets face it, the Chelsea of Germany. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't disagree with you entirely, Rich, although i think you're far overstating the case. While i agree about going abckwards since we won the league, i don't believe we 'jammed' it as you put it.

And as for your comments on Madrid being a different proposition now, that is the case, but it's hardly relevant when you agree yourself he put in a transfer request in '05, and we all know that his destination at that time was also Madrid, who were still a shambles at that point. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but he obviously saw Madrid as a better proposition than United, even back then. Because Madrid have never been afraid to make changes when they're necessary which is more than can be said for United.

It all boils down to ambition, and RvN has the right to hold the ambitions that he has and he obviously saw that United were going backwards. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's an absolute crock Rich, and you know it. The absolute opposite was the case at Madrid, they'd had the same failings for a number of years, that everyone but the president could see. To say they've 'never been afraid to make changes' makes me assume we're talking about some other Madrid from a parallel universe.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Playing it long to Saha very quickly so far :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not surprising really when you look at our defence. No Rio, Pique or Evans there to bring the ball out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Can we clear this up once and for all lads? It is never, NEVER acceptable to root for the scouse unless (a) it has a direct affect on our own title chances while not furthering theirs (see Liverpool - Arsenal, 2003) or (b) it's against Citeh, possibly (although even then I'm not sure).

It doesn't matter if you think Pardew or Warnock or Allardyce are cnuts, they are still better than vermin. It doesn't matter if a Liverpool win will be beneficial to 'English football'. See sense, will you? Now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Sheffield United/Liverpool match thread.

Where did that come from?! icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gazz22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

the bench made sense. we didnt know how easy the game would be, fletcher had jones place and ogs had rossis. given ole will now be playing in rooneys place it made sense to get him 30 minutes over rossi. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then why all the comments from Fergie about Rossi being tested this season? When all our strikers are fit that then means Rossi doesn't get any time in Premiership games. One plus for Ruud going was to see Rossi move up the pecking order, but Ole has put him right back down again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 'pecking order' isn't set in stone after one game you know? And talking about 'when all our strikers is fit' is a bit pointless when two of them are Saha and Solskjaer, don't you think? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What Mark said really, but in addition to the injury threat...

I know it can't really be worked out from one performance, and we had pretty much taken our foot off the pedal when he came on, but I'm definitely going to be watching with interest in the coming weeks to see how Ole deals with the pace of the Prem after being out for so long.

It's probably a concern that will prove to be unfounded but I thought he had quite a difficult time getting into the game after he came on despite the relatively untesting circumstances he found himself in. I know it happens sometimes, that the circumstances don't lend themselves to good performances, but I can't say I remember him having much involvement in what few counter-attacks/build-ups that we did put together in the 2nd half. In fact I seem to remember him drifting a bit aimlessly towards the left hand side of the pitch rather than being involved/moving centrally.

If this develops into a pattern rather than a blip then its clear that we'll see Rossi involved more often sooner rather than later.

But like I intimated above, its too early to make a full judgement but since he'll probably start next to Saha while Rooney's suspended that should give him decent playing time to allay my concerns. Charlton & Watford are ideal games for him to do this really.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NSteelez:

Becks did seem a bit regretful but too late for that, he burnt his bridges a long time ago.

I <3 Smudge, video reminded me what a whole hearted player he is. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

burnt his bridges icon_biggrin.gif

he was in tears on the pitch in his last game ffs. some people have short memories </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about when he couldn't make up his mind who he wanted to win when we played Liverpool a few seasons ago cos he had mates on both sides? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh Blaine steams in with a knockout blow \o/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

Ah gotcha. Coldberg shouldn't bother rising to it anyway. Should know better and all that...

p.s. No probs.

p.p.s. We'll stop with the p.s.ing now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My warcraft server is down & I'm eating my breaskfast. Conversing with the 'numbers theoty' people is just something to pass the time icon_smile.gif

James/BBB/whoever how much is the Blackburn away ticket?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'd be ok with "cheering them on" or "hoping they win", but "support" is not even in the equation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sorry, what? Since when is it ok to "hope they win" or "cheer them on"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They don't involve the word "support", and also do not imply anything more than one game on any given day.

• 1 month later...

Start of the wall, it's an emotional story. It all started with Shareholders United, it was me, Nick and Jules who said we'd meet up, the natural place was the SU tent which was at the wall. It all stemmed from there.

brb gonna cry icon_frown.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

frustrating, **** off 4 5 1, seriously. as much as i love you, **** off giggsy, why is he playing through the middle now a days, ****ing ******** fergie. obviously dont feel rooneys in the frame of mind/form to play through the middle where he is more liable to get caught out.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because he can't go past anyone out wide anymore so just drifts around centrally

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by atvkwkad:

Reading have awful fans, they were completely dire when I went down there a couple of weeks back.

They only have 5 songs, and sing them all on a 10 minute loop and then have a rest for a bit and then start all over again :*) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>they sum up small time clubs/fans

But then again villa...icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Prior to the 92 lads though we had more players come through than we currently do. Although one could easily argue that that's to do more with our overall standard at the time not being so high, and allowing lesser player to claim a place in the first team.

The catchment ruling remains fs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a very good point. Standards are somewhat higher now.

Pointless I know but just emailed Gill to express my anger at the Boro game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Dear David,

I was very surprised that my credit card was debited with only £61 for the Middlesbrough FA Cup replay for 3 tickets. £20 each plus booking fee, what a surprise to know that for once Manchester United fans aren't ripped off by the away club, then of course the game is drawn and surprise surprise, we get charged full price for the replay. Why not, for once do the decent thing and charge a flat £20 for adults and £10 for children/over 65's? You weren't expecting the replay and by charging £20 you'll fill the stadium but by charging full price there will be a number of empty seats. I'd not go but seeing as I'm in the Automatic Cup Scheme I don't really have a choice. In the space of just over a few weeks, we've paid £45 for Fulham plus £30 on the coach, £20 for Middlesbrough and £22 for the coach, then an extra £7 to sit in the SAME seat for Roma at home, because my club has got further in the Champions League I have to pay more. I mean, you probably won't read this or even if you do you won't care, just sit back in your leather chair and enjoy your £1m plus salary. I expect a nice big increase in my season ticket as well, I'm sure you'll reward our loyalty with no summer signings too.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Pickles is just exploiting an unfair system. You should be sending another mail to your mate Gill. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I complain enough he'll end up taking my ST off me icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RSB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Dan - Eagles is better than Richardson, though I am better than Richardson, heck even Mart is better than Richardson. Certainly can't do anyworse than KR, so worth giving him a chance off the bench in this game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Precisely.

The only reason I had Ole on the wing was, presuming Giggs will be rested for Tuesday, the only alternative I can think of would be Richardson. Since Saha's hamstring is still knacked, looks like Ole will start up front with Smudge and KR will play icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was half thinking that Fletch might be shunted to the flank and confused myself icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

I liked Eagles goal icon14.gif

Serious question not trying to troll: Why did Rooney make a point of going to the Everton fans and kissing the Man Utd badge? I thought he was still an Everton fan at heart having been there since 12 or whenever he joined?, or has he lost all interest for them after Moyles is suing him? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris Moyles is suing him as well now? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif Never even noticed that.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

why can't you all chug it from the bottle ffs? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because we don't know where Keith & Martin have been.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

how much longer is this going on for!? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hours yet. it's alright, you can go and watch big brother, it'll still be going on when that's finished

Archived