The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Don't agree about Newcastle / Blackburn. OK there is no rivalry as such, but there's 'something' that lifts them above the rank boredom of a Boro, Southampton or Charlton. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah but surely that's more to do with the boringness of the latter sides rather than any rivalry with the former at all?

Maybe there should be a "teams you really dont care about at all" list too </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye icon_biggrin.gif

It all depends on how the SI guys are defining the term 'rival' really. Newcastle/Blackburn/West Ham come nowhere near meeting my definition of rival, and from what I've gathered from speaking to Phil and so on, that's largely the definition SI are going off. Might well be wrong there though.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

its getting booed by united fans that i think would send him under. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

there'll be a few slappings handed out if that starts to happen.

I don't wish him dead. Won't bother me in the slightest if he does pop his clogs though. After the way he's lived his life I'm sure he wouldn't expect any sympathy.

Interesting and tbph quite refreshing article here - apparently not all English journalists are xenophobic morons \O/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A foul smell of hypocrisy

By : Patrick Barclay, 09/07/2006

Even on the second day after England's departure from Germany, the odour of their hypocrisy lingered. Outside the newsagents' at Heidelberg railway station, the English papers American students were carefully picking their way around contained the players' excuses. Sven-Goran Eriksson was on the wrong end of a sneaky swipe or two, of course - parents who spoil their children often are, and I never feel they deserve a great deal of sympathy - but most of the hue and cry was directed at Cristiano Ronaldo for his supposed part in the dismissal of his Manchester United colleague (for the time being) Wayne Rooney.

Steven Gerrard, a candidate for the captain's role vacated by David Beckham, led the pack. ''I think that sums him up as a person,'' he said. ''I saw what Ronaldo did [he seemed to urge the referee to punish Rooney for his part in a tangle with Ricardo Carvalho] and if it was one of my team-mates I'd be absolutely disgusted with him. I saw Ronaldo going over and giving the card gesture and he's bang out of order.''

Quite. As was Gerrard's close friend and clubmate Jamie Carragher when, after the referee in the famous Champions League final of 2005 had given Liverpool the penalty that was to prove crucial in their overcoming of Milan, he frantically tried to persuade the official to send off an Italian.

Carragher, reminded of the incident some months later, introduced me to the funny side of it: "I got the wrong man!'' Every time he watched it on video, he winced. "The foul had been by Rino Gattuso and there I was pointing at Alessandro Nesta, screaming at the ref to send him off.'' But Carragher denied he had done anything wrong in principle. ''No, no, no --- you try to get every advantage possible. It's not cheating.'' Doubtless Gerrard, in his forthcoming autobiography, will explain the moral difference between attempting to get a player from the same club sent off, even when your duty is to your country and (for that moment) your country alone, and endeavouring to do it to any fellow professional. Doubtless, too, he will give a further airing to the increasingly fatuous excuse that England suffer in major competitions because they are so ''honest'' by comparison with the wily foreigners.

True, Rooney did display a commendable attitude in seeking to come out of his challenge with Carvalho with the ball (and I am tempted to believe he did not intend to hurt the defender). But listen to this guff from John Terry: "Any other team, they go down and the referee gives a foul. But Wayne stayed on his feet...that's the honesty we show.''

The honesty Terry showed when, having committed an aerial foul on Tiago earlier in the match, he spent a couple of minutes on the ground in apparent agony before rising to gape in histrionic astonishment at the yellow card being brandished by a referee less gullible than the Chelsea defender might have imagined. Next up for the righteous-indignation brothers was Joe Cole. "We're going to have to stoop to their level to beat them,'' he said. Whose level? ''These teams. They do it all the time.'' It was up to Fifa to ensure fair play, Cole added. Such commendable sentiments from the man who had infuriated the Swedes with dives that saw at least one yellow-carded.

Either these footballers have brains like sieves - or they think we have. I suppose we cannot wholly blame them, for they are constantly indulged, pandered to and under-disciplined to a degree that must have Brian Clough spinning in his grave. Eriksson, after nearly six years in the job the great Clough craved, walked away last weekend without the slightest genuflection towards his key error in treating English players like the Italians to whom he had become accustomed in club football.

''Don't kill Rooney,'' he pleaded. Of course we're not going to kill him. We just want to reverse the process by which a potential genius is being ruined. Think of history's great players and these names would be on any list: Di Stefano, Pele, Beckenbauer, Cruyff, Platini, Maradona. Not one was a nutter on the field. Not one would swear and swipe at opponents, team-mates, referees and linesmen alike. No, emphatically not Maradona - not after he had learned the lesson of his dismissal in the World Cup of 1982. You can throw in the Englishmen Moore and Charlton; the same applies. Those who have fallen short include Paul Gascoigne and Eric Cantona. No one could quite tame them. And for that reason they are not on the list.

Yet over and over we hear that it would be sacrilege to tame Rooney, to take out that bit of devil. ''Wayne won't get any blame from me because I love him and he's done so much for this team,'' says Gerrard, echoing so many of the worthless words of praise that float around the vacuum Team England has become. If Rooney is suspended, he is no use to anybody. It is as simple as that.

In keeping with the excuse culture, however, I shall refuse to admit I was beaten fair and square by Paul Wilson of The Observer and ascribe the loss of a £1,000 bet to ignorance, when seven years ago I forecast England would be world champions by 2006, that they would appoint a coach who did not understand their psyche as would, say, Peter Taylor: an expensive mistake. I shall say I was fooled by the club performances of Gerrard, Frank Lampard and so on into believing they would learn how to subjugate their abilities to a cause.

I shall ask how I was supposed to know a piece of breathtakingly unethical journalism would cause Eriksson to be stood down and (for all the dignity he may still exude) become disillusioned with our society, weakened at the stage of his stewardship when he needed to be strongest. Yes, to an extent I blame the media for Eriksson's loss of steam - even if the FA should have had enough guts to ignore the fake sheikh's claims -and I can also promise you our press's reputation did frighten off Luiz Felipe Scolari, whom many football writers would have preferred to Steve McClaren as Eriksson's successor. Instead of providing answers, large sections of our media are part of the problem.

I shall also blame the flabbiness of our society for the fact that, over the course of England's involvement in the tournament, only Owen Hargreaves could show a semblance of the verve and courage displayed in Munich last Wednesday night by Cristiano Ronaldo; for all his tendency to cheat, he put most of England's sad bunch to shame. And, if all that fails, I shall take one last leaf out of England's book and blame the hot weather. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by merry_miller:

Waste of a tenner tbh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

apparently we are signing carrick tomorrow for £18million. if that price is true ill cry </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he is only worth about £10mill though icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nyte`:

what drug was Senna found to have taken?

ps. didn't know he was Assuncao's cousin </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Betametosona and Metilprednisolona </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't that where Vidic is from? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

try again icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

Up yours Gonch icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

shut it you.

fergie >>>>>>>>>> keyser </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fergie out tbh. icon_mad.gif

*seething even more* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

keyser and gill out icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Bolton Wanderers v Manchester United, Saturday 28 October, kick off 3pm

We will receive an allocation of 2800 tickets, 1800 priced £39 adults, £28 senior citizens and £21 under 16’s in the Upper Tier and 1000 tickets priced £31 adults, £24 senior citizens and £16 under 16’s in the Lower Tier.

Executive Members can apply in the usual manner ensuring your incoming envelope is maked “Bolton Away†and is forwarded to the Ticket and Membership Office no later than 5pm on Friday 22 September.

Season Ticket holders who have purchased the Celtic home cup game from Season 2006/2007 are invited to register an application for this game by calling the 24 hour Ticket Order Line on 0870 442 1999 from 9am on Monday 25 September through to 5pm on Tuesday 26 September. Supporters are reminded that this is a 24 hour service and tickets are not allocated on a first come first served basis. Click here for full application details.

COACH TRAVEL TO THE REEBOK STADIUM

Executive Coach £12

Depart Car Park N2 1:00pm

Est. return to Old Trafford 6:15pm

Updated Friday 15 September 11:30

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anyone else going, pretty sure i'll be there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

Bellion is quite good though </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He just needs a bit of time imo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

new lenny henry imo

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

I wonder if it's the same as last season where me and only me said that we would win. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll give you one guess as to what I'll say.

A post from red issue which makes my away tickets point perfectly valid

Me and 3 of my mates are flying to Glasgow from Dublin early morning.

It;s my first Man U 'European away' game and my mates reckon I'm in for a treat.

So, a few question for this away day virgin.

* Where are you all meeting for a drink?

* Will Pete Boyle be there? I met him in Ireland a while ago and he was a top red. I learned a load of songs from him and even got his autograph

* What can I expect from fellow reds? Are you all friendly or is it going to be moody as ****?

* And will it be ok to wear a half and half scarf? Half Man U half Celtic obviously

Cheers lads. I'm looking forward to it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Chelsea dont play this weekend so hopefully we can beat Boro and extend the gap to 6 points. See how they react to having to play knowing we have extended the gap. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And the following weekend we play a day before them, so they could be 9 points behind when they next play in the Premiership.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

it was more the 'poor man utd and all their money' type comments that i found patronising, btw </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok I take that back icon_smile.gif

But still, give most clubs "only" £25m a year transfer funds as they would be happy icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'll be generous and take the wink as a sign you're as aware as we are that we've had these promises of £25m a year since the takeover happened and so far we've barely seen a penny. i don't think any of us are going to be getting our hopes up after this latest article.

• 4 weeks later...

Got talking to some random Irish guy in Norwegian Blue last night. He & his mates ad been to the game & they all admitted that O'Shea has becomea dire player. Think that shows just how bad he has become when even his own countrymen aren't sticking up for him anymore.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

As for us, my biggest worry is that Fergie doesn't have enough faith in the team to go out and win playing our way, so he worries too much about stopping the opposition, and in doing so not only negates our main strengths more than those of the opposition, but also transmits a negative mindset to the players at the same time. Yesterday was in many ways the same outcome as the game at OT, in that while Arsenal were the better side in terms of posession etc, it felt it was more down to our own failings that we lost than being beaten by a superior side.

Given how many potentially tough away games we've got coming up, my biggest worry is that we'll cost ourselves more points by being too negative and moving away from doing the things that have given us this lead in the first place. If we're to look at one performance that should be the model for the rest of our season, it should be Bolton away. A potentially tough away game, not against top 4 opponents but against a team with a superb home record, and one of the toughest places to go. We played our own game instead of worrying about what they were going to do, and blew them away. And i'm convinced that that's as much down to the psychology of sending players out with the mentally of letting the opposition worry about them, rather than vice-versa. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree completely with those two paragraphs.

• 1 month later...

Bear in mind that any CL game with us would be the SOLE focus of Liverpool's season. Whereas we could well have to juggle it with an FA Cup game, and hugely important league games, with a thin squad increasingly damaged by injuries.

They'd be favourites imho.

having taped the game and just watched it, man i'm disappointed I didn't get up to enjoy another electrifying European performance

So, so drab but we're used to that now in Europe. I couldn't remember the last time we really battered someone in Europe. Part of me thinks playing an English side would be better from this point of view, but our trips to Emirates and Anfield suggest certainly away from home we're likely to be just as cautious.

The spat over Silvestre's injury was amusing, but why in god's name was he picked ahead of Heinze anyway? Can't understand that at all. Good to see Smith get some time, he and Rooney - particularly the latter really need to step up over the next 2-3 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

I'm feeling pretty confident actually. It helps that the pressure is a little bit off in the league. The fear that we will end the season trophyless is not so strong now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't work like that for me. when you actually win something, and when the seasons finished, they produce highs. But they don't for me lessen the lows of losing games like tonight, so i'm just as tense as i would have been if the league was gone.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

wp RedBlood getting in last night, was there many jibbers? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ye there was loads more in the lower tier then should have been. I assume the upper tier was the same

Going to try jib Wembley for the cup final but doubt i will get near the turnstiles for that

Will be hard to judge where the people who will stand all game will be so i have somewhere to stand if i do get in

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

Fred the red is devil iirc.

We should sign fred icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm what was his record like this season?

Archived