The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

Richardson to replace Giggsy btw, player of the season in the making. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You want me to hate you?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zaitsev:

and if Celtic are really, really bad, we should be ******** ourselves right now icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif just blame pre-season fitness

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

It's my new angle Mark. I figure posting snippets from wikipedia and not citing the source has to make me look smarter icon_cool.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

constantly smacking your head on the keyboard and posting the results would have that effect, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

anyone bother with fc yesterday? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

take that as a no?

if anyone fancies it - fc play away against salford city at the willows on tuesday night. ko is half seven. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wentand I'm sure Nick, Mart etc went. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too busy in bed playing with themselves.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Deco2o:

Celtic 2 Utd 1

Utd 0 Benfica 1

BYEEEEEEEEE </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ta ra?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ferguson 'shocked' by Celtic Park defeat

Shell-shocked Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson admitted his side's Champions League defeat at Celtic was 'hard to take'.

MikeEgerton/Empics

Manchester United's Louis Saha is consoled by Celtic's Kenny Miller.

The result, following on from the Red Devils' loss to FC Copenhagen in their last game means they will face Benfica in a last-day shoot-out for the second season running, knowing another defeat will dump them out of the group stage once more.

Louis Saha's last-minute penalty miss meant United failed to overturn Shunsuke Nakamura's stunning free-kick 10 minutes from time after Celtic had survived a prolonged pummelling to book their own place in the last 16.

'I am in shock,' said Ferguson.

'To be honest losing this game is very hard to take. It is disappointing because we have thrown it away by not scoring goals to win the match.

'We didn't do enough in the last third of the field and that is what can happen in football if you don't take your chances.'

United's task in a fortnight's time is slightly easier than it was last season given on that occasion they needed to travel to the Stadium of Light and win.

At least this time the Red Devils only need a point on home soil to qualify, with Ferguson believing his team will get it.

'Our home form has been very good,' he said.

'I have no worries on that score. We have to be a bit more aggressive and take our chances.

'Unfortunately we have a couple of big matches to play before then.

'We can focus on those and put the Champions League on the back burner.'

Ferguson was referring to Sunday's crucial Premiership encounter with Chelsea at Old Trafford, when a win will put United six points clear at the top of the table.

However, before then he faces a major test to lift Saha's spirit in particular.

Lethal since replacing Ruud van Nistelrooy as United's first choice striker this season, the Frenchman's nerve failed him when it mattered.

Not only did he miss from the spot on a night when Van Nistelrooy also missed a late penalty but had already scored, Saha also blew a major chance when he believed he had been flagged offside when in fact play had been waved on.

'Louis thought he heard a whistle,' conceded Ferguson.

'Louis is obviously disappointed to miss the penalty but the players will help to lift him because we are all together at this club.

'There are no problems with the boy. I am sure he will miss another penalty in his career at some point.

'Understandably, the players are disappointed. We have five days to lift them but if we want to win the league we have to show character and I am sure we will.'

Ferguson insisted despite the result his team had not failed in his home city, believing they had come as close as it was possible to becoming only the second side to defeat Celtic at Parkhead in the Champions League.

'Benfica came here and melted in that atmosphere, we didn't,' he said.

'Historically, we have always had to do things the hard way at this football club. It looks like we will have to do it the hard way again.'

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">No Man Utd approach for Bent, say Addicks

Charlton Athletic chief executive Peter Varney has insisted Darren Bent will not be sold in the January transfer window.

The 22-year-old striker, who has scored six of the Addicks' nine Premiership goals this season, has been linked with a move away from The Valley, possibly to Old Trafford.

But Varney told the South London Press: 'Darren signed a new, improved four-year deal in the summer and we have no intention of selling him.

'He's a key part of our side and of our hopes of staying up.

'There have been no enquiries from Manchester United or anyone else for that matter.'

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He won't be as bad today.

He was drunk on Stella at the scouse game.

I am also sick & tired of people saying it's our biggest game of the season today icon_mad.gif

Liverpool/City are the biggest games of the season.

Chelsea is the 3rd/4th biggest depending on where Arsenal are in the league.

I will just be glad when today is over.

We are going to win though despite my pessimism.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Nick or James to make it to Villa?

There's only one way to find out............... FIIIIIIGHT </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nah, it's james' fair and square. i'll just keep bitterly sniping at mart in an effort to make him so guilty he jumps in the ship canal

• 4 weeks later...

GK: Schmeical, Van Der Gouw, Van Der Sar

Defence: G.Neville, Jaap Stam, Henning Berg, Nemanja Vidic, Ronny Johnsen, Gabriel Heinze, Dennis Irwin, P. Neville

Midfield: Roy Keane, Paul Scholes, Cristiano Ronaldo, Jesper Blomqvist,Kanchelskis, Paul Ince, Ryan Giggs

Attack: Ruud Van Nistlerooy, Eric Cantona, Ole Solskjaer, Wayne Rooney, Andy Cole

Got Villa cup tickets today \o/ , although in South Stand up £39 each /o\. Serves me right really waiting this long. icon_frown.gif

Pompey at home is a bit of a rubbish draw, compared to some aways we could have got. Not complaining though, as we could have got a team like Blackpool at home.

3700 tickets for Lille, 3500 at 30euros and 200 at 70euros. One United Members can apply for them, can't really see us selling the whole 3700 tbh.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

The Rooney love does drive me nuts though, before hes even done anything hes hailed as great and brilliant and the best player in the world no matter how bad of form hes in.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's obviously a special talent who's had a run of indifferent form. Why shouldn't the crowd make him aware of their love for him regardless of his form? It may not make a difference, but it's more likely to help him and take the pressure of him than indifference or booing would, so i don't see the problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rooney is a special talent and i have no problems with the crowd cheering him at all, we should be supporting our own. Its the BBC love that refuses to even admit that Rooney isnt at his best or that other Man Utd players have had a bigger impact on a game that gets on my tits.

Take MOTD for example, Rooney has been in poor form for a long while now and scores one wonder goal and nows he had a bigger impact on Man Utd than Cantona and is in top form for England.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Injury news from the Guardian

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Manchester United have announced Wayne Rooney will be fit to face Lille at Old Trafford. Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher tore an ugly gash in the striker's leg with a clumsy tackle on his England team-mate during Saturday Premeirship game at Anfield, but no serious damage was done and Rooney will be available to help his side protect, or build on, their 1-0 lead over the French outfit.

"Ronney's OK," said manager Sir Alex Ferguson. "We've a couple of doubts but he's not one of them."

On the downside for United, however, is news that Louis Saha is not fit to face his compatriots and midfielder Darren Fletcher will miss the next two months with ankle ligament trouble. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rooney fit icon14.gif

Saha crocked, quelle surprise

No mighty Fletch til May icon13.gificon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by red&white army:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

isn't pique playing in the middle for zaragoza? sure i heard taz mention that basically every time he reports back on how he's doing.

kinda brings down his list of competitors to john o'shea, then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Zaragoza have a great partnership at centre back so Pique more often than not plays Right Back or Centre Mid like our own John O'Shea.

He plays a lot for them though, a lot of starts and for a top 5 team in La Liga he doesnt look out of his depth at all, he looks like he belongs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For Pique to make it players like Silvestre and Fletcher need to go. and also Richardson, but thats just because he's rubbish. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

for a defender to make it we need to sell 2 midfielders? interesting logic

I've never been convinced by Sneijder. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough. Personal opinion and all that. We've got Carrick anyway so its not really an issue & I don't think any of those players will be wearing our shirt by the end of August.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

From Times Online

April 11, 2007

Italy condemns 'humiliated' Roma

Richard Owen, Rome

If one word dominated the Italian press this morning it was "humiliation". The Italian media held its collective head in its hands over AS Roma's unprecedented 7-1 defeat at the hands of Manchester United at Old Trafford. So traumatic was the disaster, so lacerating the self-criticism, that arrests and clashes were mentioned almost in passing.

Last week the hooliganism and heavy-handed Italian police behaviour at the Olympic Stadium were downplayed - at least at first - in the Italian media largely because it seemed to Italians par for the course. This time the trouble at Old Trafford was given relatively short shrift simply because the collapse of AS Roma on the pitch was the only topic on anyone's mind, especially in Rome itself.

"Farewell dreams: Roma humiliated by Manchester" ran the front page headline in la Repubblica. "Disastrous knockout for Roma, a nightmare of a night " said Corriere della Sera. "Oh No! Roma were unwatchable, passive, unrecognisable, humiliated - a night to forget" said Il Messaggero, the Rome daily, for whom Francesco Totti - "Il Capitano" - can normally do no wrong.

Totti, it reported, was "inconsolable". "Roma sink to rock bottom" said Corriere della Sport, adding that English clubs were now "the masters of Europe".

At the AS Roma club in Testaccio, a working class district where "Romanisti" had gathered to watch the match on Tuesday night, the mood was one of desolation. "They massacred us," one said. "No," said another, "we massacred ourselves. Incredible." Not even Daniele De Rossi's sole goal was a consolation.

Newspapers carried photographs of Luciano Spalletti's "haunted face of despair". Most of the comments from the fans on him were unprintable. But as the day wore on, spirits began to revive.

"We can still be proud," said Vincenzo Cerami, a football commentator. "To suffer three goals against you in the first 18 minutes - that saps your energy, gives you a sense of impotence from which it is hard to recover. Plus we faced a team of world stature. Totti and Co can return with their heads held high - we'll get our revenge against the Red Devils another time."

Gazzetta dello Sport agreed, saying Roma would now have to "pick themselves up and start all over again".

As for the violence, Italian reports blamed the "drunken" Manchester fans, "floating on a sea of beer", but also had harsh words for "imbecilic" Roma fans chanting "Duce, Duce". "This was the revenge of the Manchester fans for what happened at the Stadio Olimpico," said Corriere della Sera, reporting that the violence had been provoked by a couple of hundred Manchester "black hoodies" who had set out - successfully - to tempt Roma fans into a fight by hurling cans, rocks and anti-Italian insults.

There was praise however for "effective" British policing. The contrast with Italian police at the Olympic Stadium was implicit rather than spelled out, but there nonetheless, with the emphasis on the British use of police horses and dogs and the tactic of stopping aggressive fans getting into the stadium to start with. The Manchester hooligans on Tuesday night, La Stampa told its readers, were "the last remnants of the hooligans so decisively defeated by the tough anti-hooligan laws of the Blair government" - laws that Italy itself is now trying to emulate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting to see their views on the trouble outside the stadium. From what I've heard it sounds like quite a fair assessment, basically that there is still a small percentage of fans who are utter twats.

• 2 weeks later...

Christ I hope Mika or Nick have been doing the MOM thing if it still serves a valid purpose. I've just spent the last hour and a half going starting up my own tally in case its not been done (and because I'm interested in the outcome) and I've only just finished dealing with Watford!

Just skimmed through lots of moaning about transfers and the state of the squad, the Richardson vs. Giggs debate, as well as Mart hoping for a "BBB >>>>> United Thread" custom status if we signed Hargs icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

anyone else going to everton undercover? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Weighing up whether to get a ticket or wathc it in the pub, save myself a load of aggro and watch FC afterwards.

Will probably just end up watching it pub. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>you going FC?

If so will see you there </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably , only in notlob so its only a quick trip to Gigg Lane, been a couple of times this season (when united are away or play on sunday) think last one I went to was against Bacup. Should be the next best thing than going to Goodison icon14.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Will be good with Everton in pubs before then FCs celebrations of title after icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

they're not remotely senior players ffs, they're 21/22 and playing in their first club game of this magnitude. not excusing them from blame - Ronaldo especially I thought was poor - but they're far from the main culprits. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erm when he's in the top ten players in the world, and probably higher than surely he is pretty much a senior player, by defenition of his importance to the side?

After last night though who cares. icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

the bit that got me was Nev and Paddy about halfway through (although for a second it looked like Gary was gonna plant a smacker on poor unsuspecting Patrice). just such obviously awesome team spirit in the squad right now.

the bench is the key imo. fa cup final showed the gulf in options between ourselves and chelsea so this should bring us closer to them. plus, i refuse to believe we wont play even SEXIER football than them next season icon_cool.gif

im really giddy, my flatmate has gone to bed and she wont talk to me as im being annoying and high icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

to the 'oooh, whatcha ya got to say about the Glazer's now then!?' brigade

If someone who you know is broke gave you £100 wouldn't you be happy, if a little suspicious? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They have maintained that in their business plan there is scope for these kind of spendings.

And according to the latest deloitte football report, our turnover is £160m compared to a wage bill of £80m. Now minusing the £60m (i think this is what it is) interest payments that leaves £20m for signings this year. Assuming what we have spent this year is £50m (counting all future fees as this years expenditure), and also assuming that we will be selling about £10m of players that leaves a shortfall of £20m. Something the Glazers have said is in the kitty for spending on one off transfers (which I assume snapping up these two kids is classified as).

Not saying we should be happy with the Glazers. Far from it. More that this is how I reckon they have financed the deals so far. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The problem is that it is all assumption and specualtion with regards to all finances anyway.

Nobody knows for sure how they're calculating anything or how reliable the figures are.

Archived