The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by olipepper:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

Even I wouldn't give Ronaldo 20 for crossing icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ronaldo's final ball is always poor, look at all the free kciks and shots he misses. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope thats a poor windup and you aren't a thick twat.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Badge looks shyte. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It looks like the one that was on the 1994-96 home shirt only with a white background.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye, that one looked shyte and all.

What's the point in 'mounting' our round shaped crest on a shield shape?

Apart from that I prefer it to this seasons. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

last one i had icon14.gif

We have some dodgy South African channels here and even they are not showing it !

Used to get MUTV as part of my cable package and enjoyed watching these pre-season games.

It was removed from Middle East viewing completely about a year ago ... ruining your Middle East shirt sales icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dayle Wood:

Thats it - enough is enough - I'm putting a Jihad on the Glazers! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what have they done now? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just gutted how they are destroying my favorite club - I bet they don't even LIKE football.

They need to be 9/11ed in my opinion.

Oh will you all please just shut the f**k up.

We haven't signed anybody yet, Fergie is not stupid enough to think we don't need midfielders as can be seen from his attempted purchase of Carrick, however why should we press the "panic buy" button and get a player in who just isnt going to work purely because we need a new midfielder?

I didnt expect too much to happen in terms of signings while we were in South Africa, lets just give it a chance, wait and see and look at how things stand in a couple of weeks eh?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Timmy Howard:

Friend of mine in on the spurs side of things just sent me a message. He seems to think the deal is 13.6 rising to 17 with 20% going to West Ham - which would explain the higher fee </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There isn't a sell on fee for West Ham afaik, there is for Defoe, but Carrick had a year left on his deal when we signed him and don't think there's a clause like that in there.

Would be surprised if it was £8m upfront with £6m in installments, then rising to £17m/£18m based on achievements, wouldn't suit us much as far as summer spending is concerned

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

hahaha

"not what we need"

Yeah Everton do seem to hate having any world class strikers, and indeed players in general, on their books. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Le sigh.

We have Beattie already in the "Ruud mould". Yes, he's not as good. But you could only have one or the other. What we needed upfront was pace, movement. That is what AJ offers. The fact he comes with 20 goals a season and is English drove his price up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

did i do a roundup for them? icon_biggrin.gif

i don't actually remember. it was blatantly full of scathing mockery if i did. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was probably one of our best. Better than Rob and Chris' efforts by default. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really can't remember. I'm going to have to search for it and marvel at my brilliance.

Ah, right-o then.

United won't be mugged on transfers - Ferguson

Sir Alex Ferguson has insisted Manchester United will not be taken for mugs in the transfer market.

Despite being linked with scores of potential signings, Ferguson has brought only two new players to Old Trafford this summer, paying £18.6million for Michael Carrick before completing the capture of West Brom keeper Tomasz Kuszczak on Thursday.

The Scot remains in the hunt for extra midfield cover, with Villarreal's Marcos Senna and Bayern Munich's England international Owen Hargreaves of interest.

But Ferguson refuses to be drawn into spending the 'cavalier' amounts of money Chelsea have been splashing out, claiming it is now time for United to take a stand against clubs trying to milk them for every possible penny.

'I know this summer has been frustrating but there comes a point when you realise you can only take so much,' Ferguson told United Review.

'This close season has driven the point home even more that people are looking at Manchester United like a milch cow.

'Perhaps it is the cavalier amounts of money Chelsea have been spending which has upped the ante because the asking prices these days have soared to ridiculously high levels.

'It is as if the thinking is that if Chelsea can afford such and such, then we can expect Manchester United to pay through the nose as well.

'But it has got to the point where you can only take so much and I want to make it clear that we are not going to be taken for mugs.'

Ferguson's comments come amid claims he has severely overpaid for Carrick, although the United boss revealed he has been an admirer of the England international for some time.

His observations are probably directed towards his hunt for a striker to replace Ruud van Nistelrooy.

It was widely assumed Fernando Torres would fill the void but even though Atletico Madrid climbed down from their initial asking price in excess of £40million for the Spanish international, Ferguson was unwilling to part with £25million for a player still relatively unproven at top-class level.

Instead, the United chief has decided to stick with Louis Saha and Wayne Rooney as his first-choice strikeforce, supplemented by fit-again Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Alan Smith - who should be available in a fortnight - and rising star Giuseppe Rossi, who will stay at Old Trafford this season after Ferguson previously toyed with the idea of sending him out on loan.

'Maybe we have to become stronger in our belief in our own players and trust in the quality of those we are continuing, as always, to bring through,' said Ferguson.

'We do not expect to get players on the cheap but at the same time, we have to stick to our values and make a stand.'

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

hey lets all laigh at mika too. he looks about 16! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find Mika linkage and we'll point and laugh at his young looks.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Yeah they did in terms of clear cut chances but I always thought that eventually the pressure was going to show.

Fergie stressing how tired we were and using that as a reason atm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

More tired than Arsenal, who were in Germany midweek? Maybe he should admit he was tactically found out once again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He gave that as the reason for the Scholes sub too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

THe chelsea ticket is sold to one of the guys that has sorted me/you/Jules out before. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So who is sorting me for Chelsea this season then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could always do it yourself icon_razz.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Now the news has sunk in I'm quite happy, I've always liked Larsson and it'll be great to see him in a United shirt if nothing else.

As for the effect on the team it won't do any harm so it gets the thumbs up from me icon14.gif

An mon Rossi not being loaned out again please.

ignoring how it might affect our chances of progression, i'd love us to draw Barca purely because they're pretty much the only remaining 'big' european side i've not seen in the flesh. similarly, ronaldinho probably the only real star around at the moment that i'm yet to see play in person.

if eto'o and messi were still absent i'd fancy our chances as well tbh

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think I might cry if Mascherano goes to Liverpool.

Although I don't get their resoning for pursuing him anyway, as surely he'd be in direct competion with omfgMOMOifb\o/\o/, and he's never coming out on top in that match up. Not against the greatest player in the world today. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Benitez in questionable squad building move shocker!

As much as I love the Masch, & I really do think he has the ability to fit in given the chance and the right circumstances, I still don't want the MSI baggage that comes with him (or Tevez), so unless we can buy him outright signing him wouldn't be the right move for us.

I'm also loath to say it but I think that if there was a European school of football he would excell in it would be the Italian game due to the more controlled pace. He could get used to the more dynamic style of the EPL given time, but since we've invested so much in Carrick as a composed second to Scholesy right now and our future deep-lying playmaker, we do probably require someone with a more visible higher energy reserve than Mascherano if we can't replace Paul Scholes with a younger Paul Scholes, and if that doesn't mean letting Fletcher off the loose and keeping him as a squad player then it does mean getting in a Hargreaves-esq player if not the man himself.

On a serious note I stand by everything I've said so forgive me for not being convinced by the logic of:

"OMG BELIEVE WE WILL WIN TODAY"

We lost?

"BUT BELIEVE"

Hell, that's the approach of an England fan.

I thought that we stood a good chance of losing today = We did.

Imo we approached the game wrongly, have wasted another great opportunity to put some distance between ourselves and Chelsea. We have a tougher end to the season than the start and can't afford to keep letting these chances slip because you would think that they'll sort themselves out.

When it really matters we make the same mistakes and it's so frustrating to see us line up 4-5-1 when we all know before a ball has been kicked that it'll backfire.

If that's so ridiculous then hell I'd hate to be right.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

never jibbed before, terrified I'd get caught icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>ye i got a little nervous as i neared the turnstyle as the dibble were everywhere

I will definitely try it again though

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Would rather wrap the title up at Citeh and use the Chelsea game for nose-rubbing-in, but each to their own I guess. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Not to mention he looks amazed thats hes playing for Man Utd each and everytime he wears the shirt.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's not the only one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Master Blasta:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

The definitely going to be joining Manchester United, no doubt about it, cos the papers say so list

Mikel Arteta - Everton (Guardian)

Dimitar Berbatov - Spurs (Guardian, Sunday Mirror)

Jermain Defoe - Spurs (Guardian)

Owen Hargreaves - Bayern Munich (Times)

Klaas Jan Huntelaar - Ajax (Guardian)

Running Total: 5

Predicted Final Total

Irish - 170

James07? - 112

bling - 102

pjburrage 99

WSR - 95

thei 92

alilaw - 89

14AlanSmithifb 85

T!mbo - 80

BBB - 79

gonch19 - 78

Bagpuss 77

Pickles - 74

julesMUFC - 71

Nick OGS20 - 68

Maverick 64

Ryno - 62

ACou2000 - 60

Gregg Carter 59

Jimlad - 56

ericcantona7 - 55

SLO_Fila 43

Master Blasta - 32

EmmYouEffSee - 29

RedBlood - 26

qwerty2k - 17

? - 15

</div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

hahaha what game is that where ole is celebrating already and the shot comes back of the post directly to him and he arrogantly scores? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

probably not this but it's worth a post as one of my favourite ever goals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM7J32cAu4A

Tickets really aren't that hard to get. I don't have a season ticket & I think Martin & Nick are the only two people in here who went to more games than me this season?

Oh & James you cannot just come in & start pimping my whores, get your own.

Archived