The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Argel:

Let's see what kind of money they are talking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

£17-18m guarenteed, the rest dependent on success while he's at Madrid.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moreclaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moreclaw:

Gerrard <3

He's wining me over. TBF though, everyone in the world knows Ronaldo is a slimey little c**t who deserves to have a brick slammed into his face. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

funny how gerrard's all talk when he missed pretty much the key penalty in the shootout. if hes looking for people to blame maybe he should look at himself, or his other scouse pal carragher? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Penalty taking is a lottery. The game is won and lost in the 90 / 120. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the mentality that its a lottery is why england never win penalty shootouts tbh

• 2 weeks later...

Why is there no mention of Hargreaves to Man Utd?

United need a defensive midfielder, Hargreaves proved in the WC why he is so highly regarded in Germany.

Surely would cost no more than Carrick. And Spurs have already spent the money for him on Duff.... how gutted would they be when United signed OH?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jongi:

Although gonch you can take comfort in this:

Alonso >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Carrick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

meh. we'll see. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Linky

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Park Ji-sung aims to show a more selfish streak after hinting it is make-or-break at Manchester United this season.

The South Korea international joined United from PSV Eindhoven in a £4 million deal last summer, but has yet to fully convince in England.

He scored just once in 33 Premiership appearances for the club and could be an understudy for Cristiano Ronaldo and Ryan Giggs this term.

The 25-year-old is aware that he will need to display improved form over the next few months as he feels it could dictate his Old Trafford future.

To that end, Park wants to boost his tally of goals, and assists, as he seeks to cement a place in Sir Alex Ferguson's starting line-up.

"This season I would like to show visible results with goals or assists," Park told Yonhap news agency.

"The number of goals I make needs to increase in multiples. I think I need to increase my number of assists by just a few more.

"Just as my fans long for goals, I also want to put some in. If I get the chance, I will go straight for a goal.

"In the first season, it was an honour to play for Manchester United and I knew I had to learn a lot.

"Personally, I think this season is more important.

"The kind of play that I show will decide whether I remain or follow the footsteps of other players who have left the team."

There will be added South Korean interest in The Premiership this season, with Seol Ki-hyeon joining Park and Tottenham full back Lee Young-pyo in the top flight.

But while Park is looking forward to facing Reading's new signing, he still believes his biggest battle will be with Lee.

He added: "I think playing against him (Seol) will be less of a burden than playing against Young-pyo.

"When playing with Young-pyo, we are in a position where we have to counter each other and steal the ball, but since Ki-hyeon is a striker, there won't be much need for that.

"Ki-hyeon came to the English league before I did and he is receiving favourable comments and I think he will adjust well." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do we really want him to shoot more often? I hope he's been practicing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

I'll leave you to watch the millions of missed chances and crosses from Ronaldo during the eleven months of the year where he's not on form then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well said crim :thup:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fazpac:

can ben foster play for Watford? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. Prem rules say you cant play against your own club.

They should have left it up to the clubs discretion in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

my tape's barely watchable now, especially from about 80 minutes onwards.

more looking forward to watching the Rotterdam final again tbf, not seen that since the night in question, one of my earliest United memories that :*) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was probably one of my earliest United memories. Sparky scoring to seal it and my Dad picking me up in the air and me hitting the lights and then getting told to calm down

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Cheers for your support. Because of it, I'm now backing you all the way in Botu. Wakey will be gutted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'll have a job, mate icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

I've watched it a couple of times now and come to the conclusion that Carrick really didn't mean that first assist.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Le Tissier said that on Soccer Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

iirc me and Nick will have Villa tickets \o/\o/\o/\o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just awaiting for the swap to be confirmed icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

although quite frankly if Richardson was in the team for a latter stages CL 2nd leg game I'd already have commit suicide. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mon Park returning to make that an even more remote possibility icon_cool.gif

He's a player that is so underrated, it'll be a big boost when he's back.

• 3 weeks later...

i had faith in all of them but giggs and scholes tbh. just thought they would be too hit and miss/injury prone. i made a post during the summer saying the world cup would probably be the making of ronaldo and ive always been a fan of saha. vidic and evra it was obvious they just needed to settle, though i have been surprised by just how well evra has done

3-1 win and 9 clear.

Fergies decision to bring off Saha for O'Shea was just shocking in its stupidity and to then invite City onto us for the rest of the game.

I could understand resting Saha and bringing on say Ole for him but that was tactical and stupid.

We werent too good at defending at times and for their goal the lack of closing down was just shocking.

VDS had a bad game for me, he didnt inspire confidence at all.

Giggs wasnt in the game at all and along with Rooney his use of the ball was very poor.

But on the plus side Rooney, Ronnie and Saha all scored.

MoM between Scholes, Vidic and Ronaldo for me.

Can you believe Chelsea? Is that 3 games in a row they have scored very late to win or draw?

JM just says **** it and goes all out and these teams respond by trying to shut up shop instead of looking to leave attackers on and hit them on the break exploiting the gaps.

I just cant believe it. Watch Wigan do us on boxing day as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gazz22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

I hope we give Rooney a good rest when we get Rossi back and Larsson can play. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that or drop him </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For who?

I'd play an off-form Rooney over a lot of our squad up front. We aren't exactly blessed in that area at the minute. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What, you would play an oiff form Rooney over Ole, Rossi or Larsson? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh no. I thought Gonch meant straight out dropping Rooney right now. I'd be happy with Rossi or Larsson to play instead of him.

We've just conceeded a pen. icon_mad.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

haha that ruud video, thought he had pace for a second, then i realised it was keown he was tearing away from. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*froths*

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just in case, get your tl;dr’s ready…

Last night…

Drab performance with a smattering of moments to enjoy. I know that its ultimately results that matter, but the last few games we’ve really gone off the boil as far as performances go, and bar the circumstances of the Liverpool game, it doesn’t bode well with the amount of injuries/suspensions we’ve picked up in the last week or so and the imminent departure of Henrik.

Obviously the front-line injuries are our biggest concern. Last night Rooney was misfiring from out-wide, understandably to some extent since its not his position, but he’s still not showing any consistent verve or aggressive confidence in his play and that is our major concern with Saha & Ole out for the next month and probably missing every game between Boro at the weekend and Pompey at the beginning of April. With our players dropping like flies the absurdity of this mid-season friendly is multiplying exponentially. On the up side, Smithy looked stronger, brighter and more competitive than he did back in the autumn and that was one of the few plus points to be taken out of last nights affair. As for the other subs, neither JSP nor KR did anything noteworthy.

Defensively we looked less than composed as a unit, but at times excellent as individuals. Silvestre managed to do very well at winning the ball on a number of occasions (I assume his inclusion over Gabby was to deal with the ultimately non-existent threat of Kader’s pace on the right), only for his distribution to let him down woefully moments later. Vidic was shaky again, and I’m becoming slightly concerned about the timing of his dip in form more than most given his recent excellence. His countless passes back to VDS rather than prompting forward movement when he received the ball was probably the most frustrating element of the first half. Gary was fairly average last night I thought, ineffective as an attacking asset, inconsistent in the tackle, and surprisingly lacking in positional awareness at times. Thank god for Rio and VDS who were by comparison relatively flawless (one or two very minor slips by both).

JOS seemed to share Silvestre’s “good work, bad work†ethos of last night. Plenty of decent instances breaking up play, only to be offset by misplaced & under-hit passes or slow reactions when it came to making a play for 50/50 balls. Carrick wasn’t immune from this ethos either but did better than the other proponents of it, somewhere in the range of 65/35 for me. Its all well and good being the deep playmaker type, setting a tempo with Scholes and keeping possession, but he needs to enhance his game to involve himself higher up the field at times like the current masters at that sort of game (the likes of Pirlo & Xavi) rather than remain a limited version of it. Last nights attempt at a 451/4231 wasn’t necessarily the ideal time to do it, but not taking a chance to move from deep when Larsson in particular was clearly lacking support is frustrating, especially with so many wasted high balls from the back/deep midfield. Looks like he’s lacking in confidence more than I’d expect as well for some reason.

Actual positives from last night (in addition to 1 sub and 2 defenders) were the final triumvirate of the starting XI. Some of Scholes & Larsson’s link up play was a delight although neither played near a perfect game, and the latter’s goal was a great way to leave OT considering his afore mentioned isolation. Such a legend. Scholesy, hampered by a similar isolation in an advanced midfield role, prompted and worked as much as he could, but couldn’t break through Lille’s organisation himself. Assuming we don’t falter too much/at all in his absence, a rested Scholesy will be a boon for us in April & May. Hell it’ll be a good thing anyway, but more so depending on the outcome of the next 3 domestic fixtures. Ronaldo, as has been said, was our best wide outlet last night and I’ve got to admit when he ran down the left and had three Lille defenders around him and was completely isolated from the rest of our team I didn’t think anything was going to come of it. Then he pulls the cross out of the bag; Larsson rises like a Swedish salmon in front of us, connects with his forehead, and the net ripples. Great stuff.

MOM: Cristiano Ronaldo – match-winning threat.

2ND: Rio Ferdinand – currently a more consistent rock for us defensively than anyone else and arguably the on form centre-back playing top level football at the minute.

Our next fixtures…

Boro (FA Cup); not bothered if we win or lose at the minute given recent injuries/suspensions/departures.

European XI; just ****ing cancel it.

Bolton; could be slippy but they aren’t in the best form & iirc they aren’t the best in midday fixtures historically. Could be thinking of someone else on that count thought.

Blackburn; so very concerned about this one more than any pre-Chelsea.

Pompey; real slip-up territory but not as much as Sparky’s men IMO.

RE – Potential CL Opponents:

In order of preference…

PSV – On paper arguably they’re the weakest opposition, but still potentially troublesome.

Roma – Only if we’re at home first. Given Roma’s away form fluffing a trip to the Eternal City and needing a result at OT is a less than ideal scenario.

Milan – Depends if their big game players turn up en-masse or whether we only have to deal with Kaka.

Bayern – The result against Madrid could kick-start their season & Hitzfeld is a wily old hand in this competition.

Valencia – I actually think that if the draw goes for them they’ll be one of the finalists. Could really do with them taking out Chelsea or Liverpool.

Chelsea – don’t want any psychological knocks from them at this stage in the season.

Liverpool – can’t be doing with the undue hype, pressure, conflict & repetitive EPL competition.

RE: Juan Seba Veron

Legend icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

I saw evra twice tonight at the trafford centre.

must have thought I was stalking him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice cover for when you get caught Ryan icon14.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Trawling through the thread right now to try and find Marks words on selling both Ole and Giggs.

Haven't found them yet but have found this gem from bling in reference to Scholes return from injury:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

hahah this is immense, old past it players coming back from injury being peddled as the new signings \o/

we got fifth sewn up this season.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1827876,00.html

Thats well worth reading.

My favourite bit is:

Once upon a time Ferguson could play 'who blinks first' with fate and win every time, his iron will shaping his destiny exactly as he wanted. Now he is reduced to uttering garbage like "it's like having a new signing" of Paul Scholes, Ole Solskjaer, Gabriel Heinze and Alan Smith, the irrational if-I-say-it-enough-it-might-happen gibberish you'd associate with a serial loser like Kevin Keegan. These days, the man they call The Hairdryer is full of nothing but hot air.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

The "how long will NickOGS20 last in his new job" sweepstake

Okay as we all know, Nick starts his new job on Tuesday and has to be there at 9am and Nick and 9am haven't met each other many times in the last couple of years, so predict away lads.

BBB - 5 weeks

Gregg Carter - 16 Weeks

mark g - 25 minutes

theis - 24 hours and 30 minutes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> "The Manchester City challenge reminds me of the experience I had at Chelsea where without spending £1, we built a good team, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't recall any Chelsea team not costing them a single pound... icon_biggrin.gif

On another note, United are going to look like a Latin club in a few years time, with Ronnie, Nani and Anderson plus the Silva twins coming.

Thanks for the advice earlier Mart.

I've got Posh ticket aswell.

Peterborough United FC V Manchester United

London Road Stadium, Peterborough, UK

Sat 4 Aug 2007, 15:00

Seat location: section BLK A, row Y, seat 67

Total Charge: £29.25

Archived