The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

somebody rates the liverpool/Man Utd rivalry on the same level as boca/river and celtic/rangers?

icon_biggrin.gif

That man really is sad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erm, there's not massive amounts in it tbf. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd agree with that, but i'd not say that it was an utterly fierce rivalry to the levels like it is with those two specifically. It can be pretty intense at times, but it really doesnt reach the levels of those clubs. Which is my whole point.

• 3 weeks later...

I am sure there is a load of shennigans going on behind the scenes, you're only really gonna hear about it when it's something materialising so i wouldnt worry about it too much - i dont think ALL those players muted are coming but i am sure someone is.

Out of interest, what would you think if you got Veira ? Is that a no-go for you lot ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

Eboue isn't/wasn't average but he wasn't the best young player. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Imo he was better than Dawson but as i said thats just an opinion

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

Christ, Rob Lee on SSN - "yeah, I expect some big signings from United, after all the Glazers have freed up plenty of money for Sir Alex recently"

SO HELP ME GOD </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif so much ignorance

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

Not meaning to p*ss on your fire or anything Taz, as I agree, Defoe's not great. But in pre-season Spurs have been playing a 4-3-1-2 formation, with Keane in behind both Defoe and Berbatov. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ive seen they have been using this formation, just seems strange that they are using this formation as they only really have 3 decent(non youth) strikers in there squad. Injuries/suspensions could be a problem.

Not that i really care tho, Im not fussed if defoe joins or not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Re my last post, i wonder if it's one of 2 options

a) they're doing it mainly for pre-season, to get all 3 fit

or

b) they'll use lennon as the 4th striker on occasion?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by elmonzo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

Most people here love Cole but I'm fairly 'meh'.

But nothing he could have done would have made me get over Upton Park. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What did he do at Upton Park?

Cole was my favourite player during his time at United. I remember one day in my early years, my Dad told me that Cole left United. I was so devastated I tore down every poster on my wall which had Cole on it. Even the posters which had the full squad on it I cut off Cole's face with scissors. Next day my Dad tells me that it turned out he wasn't going - GAAAAARRRGH! Relief and pain at the same time. icon_frown.gificon_biggrin.gif

And /o\ at Scousers noticing my monthly round-up request </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We missed a host of chances, where if we had scored just 1 more we'd have won the league in 94/95, and he was considered the main culprit.

Personally, while i felt he'd missed quite a few chances in the months leading up to it, in that game i don't think he was much worse than anyone else, and the whole team was more a victim of Miklosko having a super goalie day, and West Ham defending like their lives depended on it. I think it was one of those where people were already questioning the start he'd made, so he was the obvious one to be singled out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

The view seems to be that he's a Rooney not a Ruud. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that is a more accurate analogy but such is Tevez' ability (and goalscoring record albeit in Argentina and Brazil) that I don't think that he is incapable of hitting 25+ a season in Europe.

But once again, good player, I'd take him, don't think it'll happen though, and would rather the money was invested elsewhere if we've got it.

Fergie said something to the effect of "our targets our set" at the end of the match yesterday and that he expected movement early next week. I'm assuming nothing more than this being Senna confirmed and Kuzczak being moved for again.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Er, never said it was a stupid bet? Bayern losing another midfielder = Werder with an even better chance </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ffs icon_biggrin.gif I didn´t say that you said it was a stupid bet, all I meant that I also believe that Werder will win it this season and its actually a sound bet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

I'd still go with Solskjaer and with Ronaldo on the wing. Possibly reverting to a Giggs/O'Shea centre again with Park on the other side </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd prefer that to Fletcher, don't get me wrong he has his moments but i think his time has passed and SAF knows that otherwise he wouldn't be chasing another central midfielder and bringing Jones through

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

I still don't think we have a hope in hell of the title yet, so Chelsea all the way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stop that now, you . . . Yorkshireman, you. icon_mad.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

Dare I venture to say that we missed Ruud a little more than usual in this sort of contest? I can’t really imagine him fluffing the late chance that Rooney dinked in for him personally and that leads me back to Saha’s head being somewhere other than Parkhead this evening. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ironically though Ruud also missed a late penalty and a chance to win the game for Real.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It wasn't the penalty miss that was the issue prompting my comment. Its purely because I think that when we are in control of games like that & the tempo isn't really high, I do think that Ruud would have been more likely than Saha to find one space on the edge of the box to move into and take a chance, even if it was his only one for 90mins & the late Rooney dink into Saha is exactly what I'm talking about as such a chance.

I'm not bashing Saha overall because in general this season our football has been much improved and his performances have been an important part of our successful transition to a vibrant & versatile counter-attacking style. It doesn't mean I or anyone else is saying OMGZ RUUD > * > BELLAMY > SAHA, but the criticism of his workrate and lackadaisical attitude last night is valid and its not the first time he's not really been on the park for us this season and with the responsibility that comes from being our only fit out-and-out striker that can't happen.

@ Taz: Can I just ask which moments specifically you feel VoH got the better of Rio? I personally can't recall him getting more than 3 touches for 90 mins & none of them dangerous.

Also your justification for Ronaldo being MOM is seemingly that he was a "great outlet", but can I ask whether his (in all fairness along with everyone else in this case), lack of a final ball detracts from any benefit of him making 4-5 second half runs at the defenders in your eyes? He wasn't at the races in the first half and started to make in-roads at Naylor in the second but even after the break he didn't have things his own way. Factor in another couple of the 25 or so free-kicks he's going to have to miss before we get another scorcher from him & I'm leaning more towards it being one of those frustrating evenings from him where we get half the package we need. Getting the ball and running at people with nothing to show from it, not even working the keeper himself (again I know he's not alone in that) when he's got within shooting distance - like when Balde messed up 25 yards out and he stole it for a free run in at Boruc and didn't really connect being a prime example. I know Balde was bearing down but I don't think he shaped himself properly or anything after he received it. Anyway, my point is that I'm not sure how you're justifying him being our best player last night, but we all see things in different ways and you'll probably have 20 things to nit-pick about my Scholes/Rio choices in response.

And for a couple of other points that have been raised; yes GNev should have had a word if he wasn't sure his head was right for it, and yes at times Vidic, for all that he projects imperiousness does on occasion throw the odd rash challenge in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gazz22:

What's the latest on Saha? Is he injured? It seems he has been missing for a good while. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's had a rest for the last two games, that's all.

• 2 weeks later...

Why spend so much on Hargreaves when Carrick - Scholes has been working so well up to this point? He's a good player, but not a great one, and he is coming off a broken leg. I'd rather see us sign a striker (assuming Larsson goes home in March) or a left winger, we'll have to replace Giggs sooner than Scholes IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

you just know pickles is gonna get a cup final ticket, i can see it now </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what was posted yesterday the chances of ticket availability getting anywhere near the OU members is pretty minimal so I'm while I'll put my hat in the ring if I can I'm really not expecting to get near it & I doubt anyone else in the scheme is realistically thinking they will either.

Of course Pickles has "contacts" iirc so it probably negates the impact of the allocation process for him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

one thing that Juni reminded me of last night that i was very conscious of at the start of the season and had kinda forgotten - our progress to the semis has secured our place in the top group of seeds for the CL next season (obviously after some pretty atrocious seasons and with the 01-02 run to the semis dropping off the chart this year we were at risk of dropping into the second pot if we've not put together a decent run).

so, erm, yay. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Did we need to get as far as the semis?

Doesn't matter but that is great news icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has launched a furious tirade at Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo.

Ronaldo, 22, had claimed that Mourinho "does not know how to admit his own failures" after the Blues boss's controversial comments on penalties.

But Mourinho hit back: "If Ronaldo says it is a lie penalties were not given against United, then he is lying.

"He needs to see he cannot fight with facts. If he is a liar, he will never reach the level he wants to reach."

Last weekend Mourinho insisted that there was a new rule in football, where United could not concede a penalty and Chelsea could not win one.

He was referring to spot-kicks both Sheffield United and Middlesbrough felt they should have been given at Old Trafford and a penalty he thought Chelsea should have had at Newcastle.

"The whole world knows how he is," Ronaldo was reported to have told Portuguese television.

"Mourinho always has to say something when he is not happy."

United are three points ahead of Chelsea in the Premiership with four games left, with the two sides meeting at Stamford Bridge on 9 May.

They will also face each other in the FA Cup final and both clubs are in the semi-finals of the Champions League. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jose's taunts easier to shrug off than a Lauren tackle.

• 2 weeks later...

icon_biggrin.gif

This is why, you missed something out that's now in bold...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

get rid of the cantishness and yeah, he's quality </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah but you cant, so its moot </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

...the missing letter sent me to cows and then to the madness that followed.

Hell I spent about 10minutes laughing at the opening exchange in this youtube clip...

Anyway in an attempt ot rehabilitate myself - the moreish crack is a Peep Show quote no? I've only seen a few eps, tis quite good, how much can you get the DVDs for?

piece of p**s i'd have thought. have got tickets before just on a membership in a smaller stadium. suppose the new wembley factor might make it a bit trickier, but we'll get a 30-35k allocation easy i'd imagine.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

cos it's to be expected is supposed to be somehow comforting or summat?

the comparable football clubs thing is **** too. to use your style a) cos football is overpriced in general, it's not just united, b) the majority of example clubs used are in london

within their right? you talk like you are on the payroll ffs. let's fleece them for what they have got, see how far they can go... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not saying that you should be happy to be paying these prices. But considering we are one of if not the most popular team in England, champions, playing attractive football, selling out almost every game etc you can hardly criticize the board for taking advantage. Its simple supply and demand. Ideally because its a football club those rules shouldn't apply but they do and because of it we are paying more and more. Maybe we should count ourselves lucky that in previous seasons the board has been lenient with ticket prices.

This is old data (2005) but clubs charging comparable/higher prices to what we are charging now:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

High Low

Arsenal £54 £30

Birmingham City £45 £20

Bolton Wanderers £39 £21

Chelsea £60 £35

Everton £34 £28 (Cat A) | £26 (Cat B)

Fulham £49 £28

Liverpool £32 £30 (Cat A) | £28 (Cat B)

Manchester City £32 £27

Middlesbrough £40 £24

Newcastle United £37 £22

Portsmouth £39 £30 (Cat A) | £26 (Cat B)

Tottenham £70 £38 (Cat A) | £26 (Cat C)

West Brom £49 £35 (Cat A) | £25 (Cat C)

West Ham United £53 £37 (Cat A) | £30 (Cat B)

</pre>

Now of course all those prices don't apply any more and some teams are in the championship, some may have cut their prices but the probability is most of them are charging similar and probably more expensive tickets two years on.

Whilst there are 5 London teams there, there are more teams that come from the north than there are from London charging similar prices to ours. London prices are even more expensive.

You can hardly say that Man Utd tickets are relatively over priced.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

i've got the 92/93-01/02 one (well, it's the gf's, but i've basically stolen it). think she got it from MVC, dunno if they still exist, if they do you should be able to get it off their website. if not you're probably looking at eBay. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've still got from something like 87 or 88 all the way 'til 02/03, although most of them are video rather than DVD.

the two lines there not meant to be saying the two tactics were different btw. More two seperate comments icon_biggrin.gif

Julesy's formation takes into account any two from four, as opposed to swapping hargreaves and carrick each time as they're likely to be playing together more than not as that's going to be the long term plan.

Archived