The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

Vidic just isn't scary, sorry </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anyone who looks like Will Young can't be considered hard

Unless your John O'Shea

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right, let's try and draw together this pre-season schedule:

First Team

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

15 July Orlando Pirates vs Manchester United (Durban)

18 July Kaizer Chiefs vs Manchester United (Cape Town)

22 July Pirates or Chiefs vs Manchester United (Pretoria)

26 July Celtic vs Manchester United (Celtic Park, 7.45pm)

29 July Preston North End vs Manchester United (Deepdale, 3pm)

4 August Manchester United vs FC Porto (Amsterdam, 7pm)

5 August Ajax Amsterdam vs Manchester United (Amsterdam, 9.15pm)

12 August Manchester United vs Sevilla (Old Trafford, 3pm)</pre>

Under 18's

22 July Manchester United vs Oldham Athletic (Carrington)

26 July Manchester United vs Walsall (Carrington)

30 Jul–5 Aug Milk Cup (N. Ireland)

</pre>

Cannae find any reserve ones, sure there probably are a few but the official site being what it is, I've no idea when, where and versus who.

Apparently there's a press boycott of the Seth Efrican tour after Fergie ****ed them all off last year \O/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

Watching Gabby at CB for Argentina for me shows he is far superior at LB. And Wesley must play.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To be fair, he was just coming back from practically a whole season out through injury. It's understandable he'd be a bit rusty, and a bit harsh to judge his abilities at CB from those games.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Oh man, loved it today, Glazer out chants a billion times, a fella said

"Why do you chant Argentina?"

"Gaby, plus it winds up the Ingerland *****"

"oh, okay"

I really really hope that some of the Glazer out stuff starts up next season, I'm determined to start it at Fulham.

I got a lump in my throat when I heard our brilliant support, oh and not one but TWO United fans with Ingerland shirts on, one with Lampard and one with Gerrard, the latter getting YSB chanted at him icon_biggrin.gif

I got to see Ole score again icon_cool.gif

brilliant day icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>People singing FC songs apprently this true?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

lalala stats are lame but

Tackling

.....................Player................Tackles .........Tackle %

1.................Michael Carrick.........135...............74%

2.................Mohamed Sissoko......156...............73%

3.................Frank Lampard..........100 ..............73%

4.................Steven Gerrard..........96................73%

5.................Xabi Alonso..............167...............69%

6.................Michael Essien..........106 ..............69%

7.................Claude Makelele.........97................69%

Passing

.....................Player.................Passes ..........Pass %

1.................Michael Carrick.........1,938.............80%

2.................Frank Lampard..........2,015.............76%

3.................Xabi Alonso..............1,820.............76%

4.................Michael Essien..........1,447.............76%

5.................Makelele..................1,601. ...........74%

6.................Steven Gerrard.........1,464.............74%

icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sky says the Opta stats for top passer(By passes not accuracy) are:

Passers Team Passes Accuracy

Lampard Chelsea 2015 81%

Fabregas Arsenal 1957 83%

Carrick Tottenham 1938 80%

Gilberto Arsenal 1820 84%

Xabi Alonso Liverpool 1820 82%

</pre>

• 2 weeks later...

Ronaldo growing in confidence, the goal seems to have done wonders for the whole team really. Even Mickey's looking vaguely competent.

Ronaldo took an absolutely clattering there and stayed on his feet somehow btw. Chances on that being discussed?

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

nwiaflacwiwnfftgaf

swiafbt </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And another vowel please, Carol.

Where were you mate? Tier 2?

I thought it was top notch till half time, least where I was

follow follow follow, cause United are goin' to Glasgow, they'll be thousands of Reds and they'll be pished out of there heads cause United are goin' to Glasgow \o/

• 1 month later...

classless ****

I was going off one of the U18's friendlies, got confused. That said, the commentators didn't help, as they clearly said today that Fagan had come back on. Unless they somehow missed his initial substitution :/

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

I bet about 3 people actually read all of that, but still.

The bit where that random came in and got Gregg banned was the best bit I feel. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pity Gregg came back icon_frown.gif

Did the random? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't think so, have a look at the bottom of Part IV to refresh your memory.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> "We have some ideas about January next year which will not change no matter what the results," said Ferguson. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm...

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Yes I am?, we've not lost when I've made a match thread </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmm I was sure we had... though thinking about it, itd have had to be the Celtic game.

you not start that then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Southend icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ahhhh

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah I said at the start of the season that I'd take a more competitive 2nd place and a better run in Europe and so far it looks like we'll get that, so great.

Going off on a tangent a bit, if we don't win the league this year, might this represent our best chance for a few years to come? Will Chelsea be as bad in the future? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The hardest thing to recreate with dominating teams like Chelsea is hunger. It's possible that the talk of new players /systems /injuries being the cause of their (apparently) greater vulnerability could be wide of the mark, and it's more a case of some of the players who already have consecutive titles under their belts finding motivation harder to come by, and seeing Europe as the bigger prize this year.

Even if that's not the case this season, another title and it will be harder to avoid next year. Don't forget, nobody has ever won four consecutive league titles since the inception of the english league.

Congrats Nick. Still at a loss to think how you became researcher though with all that defending of the other guy when we asked simple questions. Seems a bit wierd they defended him so much to only make you researcher but at least we now have a competent person who will answer questions.

I just hope if you want opinions on players or just a bit of help in general you ask in here rather than just giving the editor to everyone on redcafe.

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from OT.

Was in the changing rooms and they have pictures of players on the pegs themselves, said to my dad "I want to rip Richardsons head off" the tour guide agreed that he is shat, oh and O'Shea too icon_biggrin.gif

Me and my dad, literally the only English out of like 30 people icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

christ... you doom merchants. icon_biggrin.gif

6/1 a pretty realistic appraisal of our chances really. win the next three games, and the league is pretty much in the bag. boro and watford hardly the sort of opposition that should stop us reaching the fa cup final. roma eminently beatable if we pull our fingers out. same with milan/bayern.

by that rationale, 6/1 not far wide of the mark at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd probably pretty much agree on the fa cup, if it weren't for the fact that we'll probably need to put out virtually a reserve side. As for the other two, how the league is in the bag when we have only 1 striker who can tick even one of the two boxes of 'fit' and 'in form' i have no idea. Two draws where we batter the opposition but fail to score and a defeat to Chelsea and that's the lead gone. Add that to how we can be confident against anyone in europe given our recent poor form in the competition in general, and away from home in particular, none of it's looking certain, let alone winning all three. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

which is precisely why we're at six to ****ing one, and not odds on.

seriously, i think some of you get paid in big titted blonde wenches with interweb geek fetishes to point out our potential shortcomings at times. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. Too many people keep saying we're going to fail ffs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

dire against Fulham. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still strongly dispute that, was the match where those there thought he was dire and those watching on TV thought he was MOTM icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

The definitely going to be joining Manchester United, no doubt about it, cos the papers say so list

Mikel Arteta - Everton (Guardian)

Dimitar Berbatov - Spurs (Guardian, Sunday Mirror)

Jermain Defoe - Spurs (Guardian)

Owen Hargreaves - Bayern Munich (Times)

Klaas Jan Huntelaar - Ajax (Guardian)

Running Total: 5

Predicted Final Total

Irish - 170

James07? - 112

bling - 102

pjburrage 99

WSR - 95

thei 92

alilaw - 89

14AlanSmithifb 85

T!mbo - 80

BBB - 79

gonch19 - 78

Bagpuss 77

Pickles - 74

julesMUFC - 71

Nick OGS20 - 68

Maverick 64

Ryno - 62

Gregg Carter 59

Jimlad - 56

ericcantona7 - 55

SLO_Fila 43

Master Blasta - 32

EmmYouEffSee - 29

RedBlood - 26

qwerty2k - 17

? - 15

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> United’s Reserves relinquished their Manchester Senior Cup trophy as Manchester City won 3-1 at Old Trafford on Tuesday night.

Brian McClair and Jim Ryan’s side end the season with no silverware to show for their efforts after late strikes from Marc Laird and Paul Marshall for the visitors.

City took the lead after just three minutes through a Daniel Sturridge penalty, before Michael Barnes equalised on 69 minutes for United. Parity lasted just four minutes, however, as Laird nodded in a free header before Marshall’s clincher.

United’s starting line-up had a familiar look to it, but the hosts were on the back foot almost immediately as Sturridge rather easily fell under James Chester’s challenge before calmly stroking the resultant spot kick past Tom Heaton.

The visitors were well worth their lead in the opening half, turning in a physically dominant performance against their younger hosts.

Ishmael Miller saw a glancing header caught by Heaton, and the burly striker was involved again shortly afterwards as his cross was stabbed goalwards by United defender Michael Lea, only for Heaton to somehow turn the ball to safety with his legs.

Sean Evans drilled United’s best chance of the half at City keeper Joe Hart, but Jamie Mullan – standing in as skipper for the absent Kieran Lee – was at the hub of the Reds' most promising play.

Aaron Burns was thwarted by City keeper Joe Hart from close range 10 minutes after the interval as United began to press for

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unlucky chaps icon_frown.gif

Got to give the other half a chance sometimes though eh?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

wtf? isnt Libertine's basically the graphical version of what Jules said anyway? :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha yeh i was thinking the same thing.

uncle malc ftw btw.

• 2 weeks later...

More conflicting information from the Guardian.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Saha's advisers have insisted he will be fit to start the season, but Ferguson's information is that the 28-year-old will miss at least the first three months. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived