The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

If he's said he wants to go, let him go. But Balague and Marca saying it isn't enough to have me convinced.

If he does go, we need two new wingers rather than one though. Barring the unlikely event of Ruud staying, that's 5 new players minimum we need this summer. Even if we got the right ones in, it's hard to see them all gelling quickly enough for us to really challenge this year.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott H:

ignore wazzerphuk. he fell off his chair yesterday. i laughed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm only here as a tool for entertainment/fun poking. I have no real merit icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Whats happened to all the wall to wall Fletcher love? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My part of the wall never wavered for a second.

Mon the Fletch! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wts <3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ollie1307:

Toni's only just turned 29 ffs.

And the type of player he is means he'll be an international class player until he's 32 or 33.

You could do a helluva lot worse than sign Toni imo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're selling a striker who's 30. Why would we sign a player who's a year younger? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because he can replace the goals we'd be missing?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Gary Nev - right-back, centre-back, centre midfield </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When was that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure both Neville's played in midfield in the FA Cup replay with Barnsley in 98.

Thornley was playing too - and you think our current midfield is w**k... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the one. Phil started in midfield, Gary got pushed up for the second half when someone went off injurd (possibly Thornley). In the Nevilles' diary of that season, I remember one of them saying that David Beckham had looked around at the start of the half and said "what the **** are you doing playing there? i'm surrounded by ****ing nevilles" or something similar.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

I'm willing to bet we could have got Mascherano and probably A.N. Other midfielder as well for roughly the price we'll end up paying for Carrick and Senna. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i seriously doubt that tbh.

if we've only paid 14m up front for carrick, and 4m is right for senna, then i'd wager mascherano will go for more than both of those combined. corinthians claiming they won't even start talking for anything less than 20m.

• 3 weeks later...

And \o/ so many good things about this result...

Ole :*) when he missed that first chance I was wondering if I'd ever see him score again in a Man Utd shirt

This is exactly the kind of result Man Utd have needed to pull off in the past couple of seasons and haven't. Early in the season, need to get off to a good start, several key players missing, toughish away game. And we did it pretty well and all.

Giggs, our first choice midfield is looking pretty strong now icon_smile.gif. A bit more strength in depth would be nice though icon_frown.gif

On the other hand...

Still didn't look solid at the back

Is anyone else thinking that Evra is going to be a new Silvestre? Looks perfectly capable for most of the match then nobs up hugely handballing in the area or forgetting he has a man to mark. I'm just waiting for him to start randomly headbutting the opposition icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by A sheppard herds the sheep:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

aye, got tickets to all 3 as well icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

cool. have fun mate, i certainly do when i go icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always do, don't have much time to hang aboot before Celtic, work till 7 icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha unlucky, looks like you'll have to rush to Old Trafford. It'll still be a good game though, i know a few more people from these Forums that are going.

I was a Maidstone fan until I moved to Aberdeen. Maidstone were amateurs back then, and are again now icon_wink.gif

Anyway, my neighbour in Aberdeen, a Weegie Rangers fan, tolsd me I must pick a team to support. I had no wish whatever to pick a Scottish team, so plumped for United. That was in '68.

I saw them play back then, too. icon_cool.gif

I've stayed loyal to United since then.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

The minute Ronnie went off it allowed Eboue to go forward. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This point has kinda got overlooked, think it's utterly crucial personally.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

How many positions has O'shea played for us now?

All but right wing and striker? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could swear he played up front for a few minutes once, during a 'everyone - striker. now' moment.

That probably doesn't count, but still.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

but just out of interest are people happy to break up the Saha/Rooney partnership after one full season? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes personally, for all the things that he brings to us, I still ultimately don't think that he is really good enough to start every week, and more importantly, I dom't trust him to stay fit for an extended period. We lost him around Christmas and were lucky to have Larsson to come in, we won't have that luxury all of the time.

Then I guess that's your argument for signing a backup player like Bent...but personally I'd be looking to bring in someone who could potentially be first choice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

I love how Taz seems to get more enjoyment out of ranting at the BBC and the rest of the media than he gets out of us actually winning the title.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow its like you're inside my mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Good work from Rossigol then icon14.gif

Although the lad is obviously quality I'm still not quite sure how I see him fitting in to Fergie's plans on the whole if I'm honest.

Its all very well saying he's an able backup to Rooney given that he seems to be a second-striker but even though he's young is he going to get the opportunities he's probably going to after since he's performed so well for Parma?

With Saha unreliable but very useful when not on the treatment table and in the mood, Smithy a more traditional hard-working centre-forward, Ole only really capable of being a sub/very occasional starter, Giggs more than likely going to be used increasingly as a second striker if Fergie’s recent team deployments can be taken as a measure of how he’s going to be used effectively, & finally the likes of Dong and Campbell not good enough/yet ready to be involved as part of the first team set-up where does this leave Beppe?

Can he be played up front with Rooney and forge a useful partnership? Or is Fergie’s proclivity for starting Rooney out wide suggestive that he’s trying to give him space and freedom in a role akin to how Barca tend to allow Ronaldinho to play as a free AMLC?

When I was catching up a week or so ago I think theis and a few others were discussing tactical deployments post-Hargreaves and they came up with something like this, which I actually see as having some merit, especially in the absence of money for or the availability/existence of a viable winger to target that would allow us to play a closer to traditional 442…(hope this works)

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Saha

Rooney Ronaldo

Scholes

Carrick Hargreaves

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Smith

Rossi OGS/JSP

Giggs

???? Fletcher

</pre>

Obviously by including Saha I’ve just tried to work it out on the basis of no other signings being made and using the players who could be used within the current squad (???? can be anyone you want, hell throw O’Shea in there), but the question is does this seem the most viable way of fitting Hargreaves into the team without sacrificing Scholes or Carrick & can Rooney and Rossi function regularly in that quasi-wide berth?

Based on the strengths of the players involves its arguable that playing the players in this fluid 4231/451/433 formation is better for them than forcing them into a 442/4411 formation. Although in saying that given Hargreaves’ versatility, does anyone see Fergie occasionally using him out on the right as an industrious winger allowing us to play…

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Ronaldo - - - Scholes - - - Carrick - - - Hargreaves

</pre>

?

And speaking of Hargreaves, when are people expecting confirmation of the deal then? Tomorrow or Tuesday? Or is this injury he's carrying going to prolong the situation into June?

Anyway, cue tl;dr's...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Cartman:

Ronaldo not nominated for YPOTY icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

criteria was deliberately set so he couldn't be nominated and it would be vaguely competitive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This competition was rigged from the start. Good thing i didn't vote icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WHATEVER

• 2 weeks later...

Archived