The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

Time for Ruud to take a hard look at himself if he is facing the same treatment from both Sir Alex and Van Basten? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not at all. Kuijt looked no better than Ruud at all today and looked even less likely to score. RvN has been a very convenient scapegoat for much deeper attacking problems in the Dutch side - a 4-3-3 with two of the attacking three being touchline hogging selfish wingers and none of the middle three getting forward anywhere near enough leaves your centre-forward incredibly isolated, so it's hardly surprising when he doesn't do much.

It's not like Ruud was missing chances or losing possession massively, he just couldn't get into the game because of the Dutch system.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Hate Alex Ferguson - No

2. Hate Carlos Queiroz No

3. Hate David Gill - No

4. Hate the Glazers Yes

5. Hate Rio Ferdinand No

6. Hate Darren Fletcher No

7. Hate 90% of their fellow Utd fans No, but I do hate some

8. Hate scousers but see no discrepancy between this and 9) No

9. Love Wayne Rooney No

10. Love Ruud (despite him being a slapped arse, past-it LIAR who's been looking for a move with years) Disagree with the rubbish in brackets

11. Once loved but now hate Ronaldo. No...thought I'm going that way.

12. Love Paul Scholes Yes

13. Love Brian Kidd No

14. Love OleYes

15. Love Heinze Yes

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

It just looks like an Accrington Stanley shirt or something. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It looks just like the FC United Shirt

Bad picture but you get the idea </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah I see your point icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Manchester United is in talks with financial institutions to borrow up to £500m against the value of its future ticket sales at the club's giant Old Trafford stadium.

It is believed that Royal Bank of Scotland is drawing up a plan that would see the club securitise future match-day revenues over a 25-year period. The Edinburgh-based bank recently undertook a similar deal for Arsenal FC.

Avram Glazer

The new funds could be used by Man Utd to replace the £540m of more expensive debt used by the US-based Glazer family to fund its controversial £800m takeover of the club last year. Man Utd is expecting revenues of £3m per match this year following the expansion of Old Trafford's capacity to 76,000. Any securitisation deal would take into account gate receipts as well as associated revenues such as food and drink sales.

A banker with links to the Glazers said: "Securitisation of future ticket sales is being looked at very closely. But Man Utd's management is very comfortable with its existing financial structure. However, anything that reduces the cost of capital is clearly a good thing."

It is understood that the plans being worked on by RBS are among a number of other financial restructuring proposals being considered by the Glazers.

It is believed that JP Morgan, the US investment bank, is also looking at restructuring plans on behalf of the family.

A spokesman for Manchester United said: "It's perfectly natural that one would seek to refinance and restructure after a buyout."

Currently, the Glazers owe £275m in so-called payment-in-kind notes to US-based hedge funds at interest rates of up to 20 per cent. The hedge funds, including Citadel Investment Group in Chicago and New York-based Perry Capital, have the right to seize the Glazer family's stake should Man Utd fail to repay the debt in the next four years. The club also has a £265m loan with

JP Morgan secured against its assets, including players such as Wayne Rooney.

If Man Utd opts for the securitisation option, it will be following in the footsteps of Arsenal, one of the club's arch rivals. The North London club is to raise £260m in the first public sale of asset-backed debt by a European football team. Arsenal has secured a low interest rate on the bond product of just 5.28 per cent, making the debt relatively cheap.

However, it is uncertain whether Man Utd could issue a securitised bond on such good rates while retaining any of its existing debt. Even if the club swapped its existing debt for a £500m loan secured against future ticket sales, analysts estimate it could still be faced with annual repayments of about £35m once associated loan costs are taken into account.

Arsenal will use its money to repay a loan that financed its new 60,000-seater Emirates stadium and save about £1.2m on annual interest.

However, Man Utd fans will fear that the club is following the same route that led Leeds United to the brink of financial collapse. Leeds borrowed heavily against future income as well as the value of its players but then struggled to keep up with repayments when the club's playing fortunes suffered a downturn. The club had to sell its best players and was relegated from the Premier League.

However, Man Utd remains the financial powerhouse of English football and the Glazers believe they can keep its debt in check and still invest in new players.

Paul Crawford, director of European structured finance at Fitch, the credit agency, said: "The key factor for Arsenal was that it had no other debt. Manchester United could replicate the deal… but it needs stability of income." </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

btw, I have absolutely no confidence any of you can actually understand this

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

yes well there we are, and much as I love Tone, he's no physio.

Vieira was awesome in the world cup, save for the first game, I think hed view joining you lot as a fantastic challenge, and hes certainly better than any of the other shlt you have in central midfield atm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He makes a good point.

Plus the liklihood is it'd annoy the majority of Arsenal fans.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wakeyrocket:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig[EVE]:

You won't be saying that if RVN leaves and you don't get many goals icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh and Johnson is such a scoring machine jpshakehead.sml.gif Craig[EVE]=Clown </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hahaha, You one of the Man U fans who doesn't watch football?

I think the 21 goals he scored when Palace were in the Premiership (the highest English striker) show's he can score goals, no? How about the 32 he scored getting Palace to the Premiership? Or maybe the fact he's scored 84 in 163 appearances for Palace?

Yeah, but no goal machine... jpshakehead.sml.gif

Whats wrong with what i've said.

We had major problems last season, Chelsea had practically none other than a little wobble.

It must be easy to be you Mart. You're just like SBA & Wicom in a lot of ways, you just ignore whats actually been posted and just make some kind of post purely to try and get a reactions.

I guess it's much better to do that than to actually try and have a discussion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pickles:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alibaster:

First game at OT - somewhen this season hopefully.

I hate living so far away.......to hard to get to games.....icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where there's a will there's a way! Where do you live? Get in touch with a local supporters club and see if they'll give you a lift.

I got a lift with my uncle's Rochester club from MK! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I live down on the Isle of Wight. Every means of getting to Manchester involving a LONG day travelling. I will look into supporters clubs though. Also being skint the whole time doesn't help much when trying to get to matches /o\

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

James icon_frown.gif

There's NO way I'll get a ticket for Leeds away you tight git icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

course ya will icon14.gif

wednesday night, large allocation. Piece of p*ss my boy.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimmymc:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

I've seen Desperado in 42s before and Joshua Brooks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Desperado is indeed the king of beers.

So wheres 42s and Joshua Brooks?

Anyone care to start a desperado watch in the uk thread? Got hooked on it in prague. But Ive only seen it in two places in the uk. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If 42s is what people call 42nd street over here then it's down by walkabout, just off Quay Street.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AllStar4:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Cleverest player

[Long pause] I’d say Sheasy. I’m not the thickest, but I think Sheasy is probably the cleverest in the squad.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

surprising imo, I would have thought the opposite might be the case </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats the problem then - he thinks too much - not enough instinctive play.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Captions on a postcard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"hey, look at all those empty seats"

motm: evra

2nd: giggs

Dear Fergie,

FOUR FOUR FCUKING TWO FFS!

p.s. john o'shea is NOT a midfielder. play the poor bastage at right back where at times he doesn't look like a complete abortion of a player, and can even contrive to impersonate a semi-decent footballer on the odd rare occassion.

p.p.s rooney isn't a left winger. if homo-hair isn't good enough to play on the wing when we have absolutely no-one else available (which he isn't), THEN SELL HIM AND PROMOTE/BUY SOMEONE BETTER!

Cheers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

right tomorrow, james isn't coming iirc, keith i don't know about, mart won't get there much before kick-off - is anyone likely to be at the wall or are we just not bothering and saving all our wall energy for sunday?

decide soon, if no i shall get drunk in town </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you want your Harry Hill DVD's or not? icon_mad.gif

Which I may or may not have copied yet...

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

aye if the number comes after the name you're clearly alright. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Remind me when Ron Atkinson played for us again? icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by benkeat:

yeah so flukey.

i reckon you will. last night was like a mini olimpiakos. you're one of the best attacking sides in it, the team is buzzing, all you need now is a good DM to help you get clean sheets away and you've got a good chance.

hargreaves cup tied? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hargreaves is cup tied for the CL yes.

And as good as we are attacking wise that lovely manager of ours prefers to use a 4-5-1 rubbish formation a lot of the time especially away from home and that stops us being the attacking threat we should be.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

It isn't 'Hark the Herald Angels Sing', it's 'Mary's Little Boy Child'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wis

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

The minute Ronnie went off it allowed Eboue to go forward. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This point has kinda got overlooked, think it's utterly crucial personally. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The key in that situation is to maintain an attacking threat. It makes defenders think twice about joining in as they know they have to cover. If they do join in, it leaves space to be exploited in an attempt to get a second goal to kill the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that kinda covers it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you expect me to read your marathon efforts? icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

Spurs away this weekend, would you put saha back in straight away if not fit?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If he's not fit then I'd go with Larsson and Rooney.

hugely stupid if you think this transfer talk is anything other than hype to build ronaldos new contract, 26mill contract over 5 years is rumoured to what they want and will probably get. Keeping ronaldo far more profitable than accepting any deal for him.

he will be here for years to come np

Telegraph gave man of the match to Fletcher and also had a go at all those Fletch haters:

Eventually Rooney helped Fletcher to let the fans relax. Not that all of them deserved it. Not after the stick they have given Fletcher over the years. Here he was the perfect stand-in for Michael Carrick, who cost a lot of money.

Match summary

Man of the Match: Darren Fletcher gets more than his fair share of disparagement, but he is a good player. He made sure the injured Michael Carrick was not too greatly missed - as well as finishing Charlton off with the second goal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

Someone told me you were a 10 foot tall strapping black guy.

Don't come to the wall icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif must be either bbb or james' parents then

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve not read anything else from today but it looks like the “go to a replay and have Scholes back in the league†crowd got their wish so I assume they’re happy. Not too disappointed that we’re going to a replay though since it was a good cup-tie today. Not sure Fergie will necessarily see it that way since his decision not to make a change says to me that he wanted to try and get through at the first attempt. Thought we played some really nice stuff at times and even with the two avoidable goals it was our best performance for a while as a team. Just nice to see some carefree attacking football. Pity about the 10 minutes of slackness either side of HT but it happens. At least it was the cup not the league. Hoping that nobody got any injuries today as well. Anyway…

TK: Two great stops in the first half but looked shaky on crosses and set-pieces.

GN: Got forward more than he has been doing and did okay against Downing.

NV: More assured than a couple of his recent performances have been. Cracking tackle to deny Boateng in the second half.

RF: Started shakily against Yakubu I thought but got better as the game went on. Was concerned when he went down before HT.

GH: Possibly his best game this season. Really pleased with his work today.

CR: Thrived in the atmosphere, really good threat, took the penalty expertly.

MC: Had a really good spell following their second goal and demanded the ball more regularly in the absence of Scholes which I thought was a good thing. Actually saw more today of the kind of Carrick I expect to see post-Scholes. Did well breaking up play at times as well.

JOS: Tried way too many sweeping balls to the wings for my liking but generally did okay overall. Didn’t do anything markedly dangerous which is always a plus.

RG: Thought it was his best game for ages. Looked fresh, full of thrust when running with the ball, and did well picking his passes as well.

WR: Took his goal well but didn’t do anything else spectacular. Obviously could do much better but with us out of striking options at the minute I’ll be content if all we get from him is goals between now and the end of the season. I don’t think we’ll get anything else out of him at this point to be honest. He can get back into the groove properly next season.

HL: Cracking movement, closing down & build-up play in the first half, faded in the second as his numerous runs took their toll. Can’t criticise him really. Pity he has to go but its been a privilege to get to watch him in our shirt.

Would be easy to pick Ronaldo but I’m just really pleased with these two…

MOM: Ryan Giggs

2ND: Gabby Heinze

Pretty clear IMO but…

AFFG#1: TK

AFFG#2: Rio Ferdinand

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

how's Rossi doing for ItalyU21s? is he playing?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i attempted to read the bbc sport commentary of it but my journey ended after seeing someone text in something along the lines of 'well this is my highlight of the week, after spurs were knocked out of the fa cup and the pakistan cricket coach died'

like spurs losing a football match and someone being murdered is just something you'd throw together nonchalantly in a text </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha exactly what I thought when I read it icon_biggrin.gif

and BBC just print it up on their site anyway

jesus, already 17,000 tickets from the cup final allocation have gone to those wembley season ticket holders.

gonna get what, 20,000 if we're lucky?

IF we get there ofc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Wembley now a 90,000 seater at full capacity? The rest of this rests on that figure being correct.

So if 17,000 have gone to those "every game at Wembley for 10 years (or something)" ticket holders is that all of them? I mean are there more of these ticket holders still to take up their seats or are there just that many people signed up to that scheme and they've just got a ticket regardless of what they do with it?

If its the latter and you imagine us and any potential opponents getting 40,000 or so in total where are the other 33,000 or so going? Corporate sponsors? On sale to the general public?

I don't disagree that its a shocking state of affairs for that many seats to go missing for fans of the clubs that make it to the final, even the if it were only the "Wembley Season Ticket Holders", but surely the FA couldn't justify giving either finalist any less than a minimum of 30,000 tickets for their own fans?

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by merry_miller:

Was there not people checking tickets before you even get to the turnstile ? Know that happens at a lot of grounds. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No i was suprised about this </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now I've never had anybody check my ticket before getting to the turnstile. Anywhere.

Not even Roma ! icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? I've had it done at OT. A few years ago now, mind.

Really, ****.

Mighty Fletch ftw all the way. Hopefully he'll get a bit more action in the future on the back of this.

Now hopefully Milan over Bayern for the semis. Reckon Milan, Kaka aside, are either off colour (Gilardino) or too old (the defence). Plus Inzaghi's a sheit. Fancy us over them, while Bayern could be reet tricky. Either way, not sure what to make of a Chavski/Bindippers final. Reckon we'd have a better chance over the dippers but you just know they'd summon the '05 jamminess while we put in a performance akin to the FA Cup final of the same year and get dicked on in ET/pens.

On to the doom:

*VDS still butterfingers pretty much every time the ball came his way.

*Homohair still breathing. Seriously, the game is over and the useless tit can't even make a five yard pass. Not fit to wear the shirt.

*Addendum to the above - why not give a run out to Ding Dong/Eagles/Big Craig? Evra, fair enough, could possibly use the run out, but considering the tie was dead and our Kier should be, might as well have given Dong and Chris a dabble. Especially Dong, since a) he's an attacker, and we're lacking, and b) last kick Kieran impression and playing against opponents who don't care aside, Dong looked fairly useful in the Euro friendly of death. Pace, intelligent pass selection and movement, decent range of passing, not being KR23... Why not give him a chance?

*Fergie will blatantly come out saying "Well that's what happens when we come out and attack teams", before unveiling his innovative 9-1-0 formation in the first leg of the semi.

*Kieran Richardson still has a contract. Not good enough. We should pay some filler club £5m to take him off our hands and dedicate #23 to the fans or summat. He makes Jon Greening look a credible Champions League winner ffs.

But yeah, cracking night, ubergiddyness and all that. Expect I'll be much less doomridden once it all sinks in icon_biggrin.gif

Archived