The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

Hargreves would cost about £5-6m though. Is carrick really worth double him++? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nope, because Hargreaves is better </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

now you're having a deadset laugh. carrick >>>> hargreaves.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Argel:

Let's see what kind of money they are talking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

£17-18m guarenteed, the rest dependent on success while he's at Madrid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

PJ seriously, why quote random, utter random figures as if they fact. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not saying its fact, I'm suggesting what it will probably be.

I've been trying to think about the whole Ronaldo/Rooney thing from a sort of United point of view, tricky situation.

Part of me thinks international football and club football are almost seperate entities, i.e I will cheer Arsenal players on for England whilst dislike some of them at club level maybe, but if what happend today was between 2 Spurs players, I'd be very annoyed at Ronaldo for the lack of common sense, it will have a knock on effect on his relationship with Wayne I'd expect (possibly one or two others given his play acting and attitude) and to an extent shows a lack of respect/loyalty to the club, even if he was wearing Portugal colours, it's a lack of common sense.

No-one can fault him for wanting his country to win, but it's his manner of going about it, and the total disregard for his clubmates that's odd, does he forget he'll have to train alongside Rooney for a whole season?

Think Rooney's silence hardly suggests things are fine between the two of them either

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Argel:

Look, we can all rave about 'Hargers' or we can put his performance into context (and I don't want to detract from a superb achievement)

He ran his arse off

He was a tackling machine

he scored a penalty

Um

Thats it. He was brilliant, exactly the man you want when you're down to 10 men.

Do I think he can do a job? Yes. Is he better than John O'Shea? Yes. Is he the solution to England and United's midfield woes? I don't think so.

It's called an opinion pet, and I actually think I was completely right even in the light of this performance. He still can't pass or play attacking football of any kind. His one moment in the corner was fantastic, but that is literally the first time I've seen him beat a man and not lose control and watch it go out for a throw in.

Not that the English are reactionary or anything. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You really are a clown aren't you. I'd have had a bit of respect for you if you'd said you thought he was **** but you'd got it wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joe_cole:

Zlatan is awesome, he has just took some time to adjust to being a small fish in a big pond rather than vice versa. Also played at the World Cup carrying an injury. However no-one is sure now what the punishments in Italy are going to be, so sorry but I doubt you will be signing AC players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah yes, that well-known AC Milan player Zlatan Ibrahimovic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFL. You fool. If AC were banned from Europe and still deducted the same amount of points you were apparently after Gattuso or Pirlo.

Now it seems their punishment is to be reduced so you wont be as they are likely to keep most of their players. UEFA cup and good chance of winning the league still is likely.

it should also be pointed out that surely the time to level "can't match my ambition" charge is at the end of an off season rather than just before a cup final when who knows who could have been bought during the proceeding summer.

Having wrote down the first teams and subs bench of the big 4 we have got enough depth just not enough quality. We're certainly stronger than Liverpool and Arsenal on paper.

I just think we need two more signings, realistically I'd like those to be Hargreaves and Ibrahimovic.

I think we need to sign a Ruud replacement. Saha has never done a full season for us, Solskajer could be immense, he could break down, Smithy's coming back not just from a leg break but going in to a position he hasn't played in over a year, and Rossi is still unproven at this level. It's too much of a risk upfront.

Realistically if we could get hargreaves for bwtween £6 and £8 million, and Ibrahimovic for somewhere between £12 and £17 mil that'd be about right.

I mean even if we only got £10 million Ruud add that to the £12 million for Mikel (cheers chelsea for paying for Carrick icon14.gif ) We still haven't even touched our supposed £25 million transfer budget Uncle Malc is supposed to have set aside each year.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joe_cole:

Though I still cant decide whether you will finish 3rd or 4th??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Luckily no-one particularly cares dude :*)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

btw I have one City player in my subs :/

Does that mean I cant play </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seeing as I'm in charge and I have Gerrard in midfield, it'd be a bit hypocritical of me to ban you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

So who's the arrogant one pretending he doesnt care that hes in a photo with internet message board geeks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The most arragont of them all... Nick. icon_biggrin.gificon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

Can't believe there is a question over the commitment of Giggs over Smith. Giggs was mint on Sunday and has put in very good performances since he has been put into central midfield.

Go down road, get giro, go to pub - get plastered

go back home, beat the wife

cos i'm a yorkshire bastard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thing is with Gigg's performance was that it's likely to be a one off and he will reduce his performance in next couple of games to utter pap (when we need him most) where as Smith when we needed him most (begining of 04/05 season ) carried the team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*cringe*

yeh giggs has a history of letting us down when we need him. icon14.gif

and what the hell was so special about the beginning of 04/05 anyway? oh thats right, its the only really solid spell smith has had at the club. what a coincidence that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alibaster:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SirZ:

Yeah anyone with a link pls..email in profile..thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs kthnx </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please.....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

And teamwise, what eveyone else says really, take our 1-1 and get ready for Celtic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what's this icon_mad.gif

3-0 us tbh

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"Fergie's Fledglings" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They were the lot that broke through before the class of 92 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Deiniol Graham \o/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Bayern Munich would want either John O'Shea or Wes Brown in part-exchange for any Manchester United move for Owen Hargreaves. (Sunday Mirror) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\o/

• 3 weeks later...

Well can't help but say im a little dissapointed, controlled the game in the first half and Chelsea didn't get a look in. Second half Chelse all over us in the middle of the field , why didn't Ferguson put Fletcher on? We were crying out for another body in midfield and not for 5 or 10 minutes , but for nigh on 20 minutes! I am convinced that if we brought fletcher on or even dare I say it O'shea we would have seen the game out, because the only reason they were playing so well in the second half was because we couldn't cope with their midfield. Just hope Ferguson doesn't rest players against Everton on Wednesday , I have a funny feeling they may nick a point.

That's the bad points out of the way, thought Scholes & Carrick bossed the game in the first half and didn't play overly bad in the second just needed some help. Thought all the back four played well especially Gabby, granted he wasn't up against much in first 45 but covered well and did the simple things well.

MoM: Carrick

2nd: Scholes

Also we're in the same predicament as you Nick, left it until last minute and all tickets been sold, just hope more will be out on sale nearer the time, for away's like you said more than anything.

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

I find it quite baffling that while Mika predicts doom and gloom for every game we play, he is also of the opinion that clearly mediocre United players are really really good.

If the likes of Silvestre and Fletcher, neither of who can get a sniff of a game, are so fb, our first team should be tonking everyone by 5 or 6 icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Says the guy who rated O'Shea until this season? icon_biggrin.gif

Fletcher >>>>>>>>>>>>> O'Shea </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Though as Mark would say, that is damning with faitn praise a little icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

anyone read the thing in redissue about banning orders yet? spose it's not much new but shows how they are misused and the general *******ness of the police/fios. still can't get over the 'oxford road incident' from when it was published originally a few months ago (it was also referred to in this issue). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I read it yesterday, does amaze me how they get away with it.

heh, the bloke who had Keiths ticket asked me 5 minutes before he scored what did I think, I said I didn't think he was good enough, true but still.

oh and thanks to the cuuunt in WT2 that chucked hot bovril in the air when we scored

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw2255:

isnt it moot as opposed to mute anyway? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that was his point

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Downing, like the rest of his team-mates, hopes the Australian spurns the advances of other prospective employers and signs a new contract at the Riverside Stadium, with champions Manchester United the latest to be monitoring the situation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The definitely going to be joining Manchester United, no doubt about it, cos the papers say so list

Anderson - Porto (Daily Mail)

Mikel Arteta - Everton (Guardian)

Gareth Bale - Southampton (Mirror)

Dimitar Berbatov - Spurs (Guardian)

Jermain Defoe - Spurs (Guardian)

Samuel Eto'o - Barca (Daily Mail)

Eidur Gudjohnsen - Barca (NOTW)

Owen Hargreaves - Bayern Munich (Times)

Klaas Jan Huntelaar - Ajax (Guardian)

Benni McCarthy - Blackburn (NOTW)

Youssouf Mulumbu - PSG (Youssouf Mulumbu)

Nani - Sporting Lisbon (Guardian)

Michael Owen - Newcastle (Various + BBC)

Franck Ribery - Marseille (Himself via Sky)

Micah Richards - Manchester City (Mirror)

Steve Sidwell - Reading (Mirror)

Carlos Tevez - West Ham (Star, Mirror)

Fernando Torres - Atletico Madrid (Mirror)

Running Total: 18

Predicted Final Total

Irish – 170

James07? – 112

bling – 102

pjburrage – 99

WSR – 95

theis – 92

alilaw – 89

Nezell – 87

14AlanSmithifb – 85

Hero of the day – 83

vanester – 82

T!mbo – 80

BBB – 79

gonch19 – 78

Bagpuss – 77

Rb – 76

Pickles – 74

julesMUFC – 71

ajw2255 – 70

Nick OGS20 – 68

Maverick – 64

davidbowie – 63

Ryno – 62

ACou2000 – 60

Gregg Carter – 59

Jimlad – 56

ericcantona7 – 55

Matt Cavanagh – 54

mark g – 52

keyser – 50

player_65 – 46

SLO_Fila – 43

Taz Devil – 41

Saha – 39

The_Fish – 37

finneys13 – 36

Master Blasta – 32

EmmYouEffSee – 29

RedBlood – 26

<STRIKE>qwerty2k – 17</STRIKE>

<STRIKE>Razor Eddie – 16</STRIKE>

<STRIKE>? – 15</STRIKE>

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

another one bites the dust.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Dimitar, this is the third year in which we meet during the spring; last year, you were excited about the start of your first season in Tottenham Hotspur, it seems now that you are about to join Man Utd.

Now I am thinking about the return match against Belarus and after that I'll have a rest. After that we'll see...

Still, are you close to United?

Yes, in fact I am. They are now on the TV and I am very close to it. That's how close I am to them.

Do you want to play in Man Utd?

I am a happy man in Tottenham. The club gives me everything I need to feel nice with them, and I actually do. As to United, of course I like Sir Alex's team. Their style is attacking and pleasant to watch, and it coincides with my own style of playing football. Giggs, Scholes and Rooney are fantastic players and that fast guy Cristiano Ronaldo on the right side is a magician with the ball, he plays football from another planet. Of course, it would be a pleasure for me to play with these guys; they simply know how to have fun on the pitch.

Have you been contacted by Ferguson already?

No, I haven't.

When will you be able to name yourself a United player?

I think I answered this question already. I'm a happy man in my present club.

How did you adapt to the your new team Tottenham Hotspur?

I was warmly welcomed the guys accepted me as one of them from the first. I haven't felt isolated from the team even for a second. In the changing room at our stadium we have a sign which says: "There are no stars in Tottenham, the team is the big star." And this is what the atmosphere in the team is - we support and trust each other.

Has fame changed you?

I don't think so. Yeah, I like being famous, it's nice, but I haven't changed much.

Let's come home for a while. Do you think we'll qualify for Euro'08?

I believe we will. We have our chances, all we need is a little luck.

Has the atmosphere in the team changed since Stoichkov walked out and Stoilov came in?

The atmosphere is good, but it was good during Stoichkov's time as well. You see, now the coach is playing cards with the players... they are laughing, we groove together. My impressions of Stoilov are that he knows how to break the monotony of the training sessions. Obviously, he gained some good experience in the Champions League.

What were Stoichkov's mistakes?

I can't comment on his mistakes. He knows what he did wrong. Maybe he made too many enemies too fast and they turned him as black as sin. This reflected on the climate in the team. I can only say that Stoichkov treated the players well.

Can you surpass him as a player?

Hardly anybody will ever surpass Stoichkov on the pitch. He is the only Bulgarian who won European Champion Clubs' Cup with FC Barcelona, the Golden Ball of the France Football Magazine and many other football awards.

Yes, but a possible transfer in United can be your trampoline to higher goals.

For now this is in the sphere of possibilities. My goal for now is to score more goals for the national team than he did. I'm 26 now and I have a lot of time in front of me. If I play well, the cups will come naturally. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

loving the direct line of questioning. sounds like he was being interviewed by the Bulgarian Jeremy Paxman

Archived