The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

somebody rates the liverpool/Man Utd rivalry on the same level as boca/river and celtic/rangers?

icon_biggrin.gif

That man really is sad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erm, there's not massive amounts in it tbf.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by foobR:

my website is SO good, it gets randomly hacked by turkish people

true quality </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

though that happened to carter's aswell - but that might be the exception that proves the rule.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

good, pass on my regards icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ta dude

good luck with the kid/sprog

delete where appripriate if it ever so slightly resembles carter icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

glad to see you back icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

What happened in the season after Beckham was sent off?

hmmm..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the non utd fans thought he was a cunner????

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Zambrotta can play on the wings remember. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He can play wide in midfield, but you wouldn't call him a winger, which is what we need.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

seriously, you're walking a tightrope. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it was burrage who told me about the other amsterdam plane crash </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

stop stirring, we're talking about the same one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LutonNil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

My phone is crap, tbh. The camera on it is worse than useless.

I did think of that, though. Just had a few quids to spare. icon_cool.gif

I do not eat prawns, ever. They look too much like babies willies for me to eat, tbh. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

mmmm... babies willies icon_biggrin.gif

Only joking - I like prawns - had some crayfish a few weeks ago for the first time - very nice </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

crayfish is lovely. Mayber we should write to uncle malc for there to be crayfish sarnies as well as pies at half time.

• 2 weeks later...

aye, got tickets to all 3 as well icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

when you paying me Spurs or Arsenal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Arsenal innit.

I might try and finish early

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow, Taz at his best, pushing buttons and attracting controversy!

Anyway, while I see both sides of the argument that’s been made so far, it seems to me that while we can’t really commend Carrick highly on his direct match-winning contribution since he joined as far as the traditional indicators of goals and assists go, he can be praised for his performances as far as facilitating our positive footballing style thus far.

Of course playing with a Paul Scholes in the form he’s in can only help, but to say he’s been too haphazard in his passing to the extent that he can’t be relied on when “the going gets tough†or when the Ginger Prince isn’t around is somewhat nonsensical to me. How often are we in the position where we need one player to drag us up that far by our bootstraps in any case?

I’m surprised that we need to make the point that he’s not going to be Paul Scholes – the man is one of the players of his generation, if Carrick got anywhere near the same heights it’d be great. But he shouldn’t be discounted on his performances so far because of this issue. Carrick’s development hasn’t been the easiest tale on his road to playing for us when you consider the turmoil at West Ham not that long after he really broke through, then his initial struggle to establish himself at Spurs, and yet he’s now become an fixture in his international squad and a first-teamer at OT who should be good for us in the medium to long term at least. I’d like to think that his peak won’t actually arrive until 30-32 because of his playing style rather than the usual 28-29. We may want more, but we'll get more I'm sure of it.

Returning to the “he can’t be counted on†position I think that it should be remembered that he was the fulcrum of an impressive and youthful Tottenham side before we bought him, a side to which he was key to the extent that its only really in the last month that they’ve found a way to play successfully without him, and you don’t become that influential by hiding away, which is nigh impossible when you play in the middle of the park in the Premiership anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

arjen robben having a say now:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"They may have a problem when two or three of their key players get injured. I don't know if it is an advantage. We are happy at the moment and confident that we can win it."

"The most important thing is that we have to win every game and that is all we can do. We must concentrate on our own game and our performance and not compare ourselves with what Man United are doing."

"Christmas is coming and maybe next month the gap might have changed. The Champions League and FA Cup are starting again next year so all the teams will have so many games."

"Everything can change if Arsenal keep winning and both us and Man United drop points but we have to keep winning to keep that gap below us while trying to catch United." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it's almost getting obsessive. :*)

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

id take mourinho in a heartbeat, the only person who comes close to fergie around. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>He doesn't play the united way though icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

bahaha Mika just coming in and laying down the mood icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't want to disappoint certain people icon_cool.gif

Mon the draw please.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Thing is Mark, I've no issue with the tactics at the start of the game. Considering the circumstances it was a sensible approach. I agree though, that doing nothing can be as much of a mistake as doing something wrong...and I'm not trying to absolve SAF from any blame. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the first bit i disagree with. Rooney wide and Giggs up the middle must have had Wenger rubbing his hands. We could have been set up with everyone in their correct position and stil reigned Gary Neville in a bit to counter Henry without comprimising ourselves half as much as we did. And as i've said before, there's also the physcholgical aspect to consider, both to our own team as well as Arsenal's. As soon as you make a significant tactical switch from your own normal and best line up, you say to the opposition that we fear you, and you put your own team on the back foot by saying we're more concerned about stopping the opposition scoring rather than scoring ourselves. If you do it every week it's normal, if you make a switch for a big game where players are already apprehensive you send out the wrong message imo.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Even so, what other options did he have available on the bench to make changes?

I'd also say that at the time the Heinze / Evra / Ronaldo change made sense. Ronnie wasn't really in the game at the time, Evra had been our best attacking option for much of the game (but had started to sit back more). I'm not sure putting Gabby on was such a risk (or mistake) as you seem to be suggesting...bit of hindsight at work? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could certainly argue that i'm making it out to be more of a problem than it was, but it certainly wasn't hindsight. I complained as i saw the sub being made for two reasons. One was that it was instinctively negative, and took off one of the few players who could have held onto the ball for us and carried it upfield. I take your point that he hadn't been hugely effective in an attacking sense, but i still felt he could have been an outlet.

The second point was that i think it's a bad move to put a new defender on that late in the game when you're under the cosh unless it's absolutely neccessary. They come on cold, aren't used to the pace of the game, and are more likely to make mistakes. If he felt taking Ronaldo off was absolutely neccessary, which would have been more arguable because of the yellow card than anything, i'd have put Fletch on in the middle and pushed Giggs to the left.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Out of interest, at 1-0 up with 20 minutes to go and Arsenal dominating more and more, what would you have done? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's hard to argue from that position, because i'd have approached the game in a different way from the start. But at that point i'd have wanted us set up in the normal way, with Rooney central and Giggs wide. I'd have also gone braver and given Ronaldo more licence to stay upfield a little, with Giggs tucking in a little more, to give us more another outlet. The other change we were screaming out for was Saha on earlier. Larsson had worked hard but not really got into the game, and i thought Saha's pace would have given us more threat on the break again.

The key in that situation is to maintain an attacking threat. It makes defenders think twice about joining in as they know they have to cover. If they do join in, it leaves space to be exploited in an attempt to get a second goal to kil the game. And if nothing else, it allows you posession higher up the pitch to relieve the pressure and give your defence a break. i felt at the end of the game especially we failed to do all those things sufficiently often.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

I do hope you're right and my guess was '****ing stupid' because the more people the better atmosphere, can't see it though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It'll be rubbish either way in fairness.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">They must turn down the volume on the crowd for the English coverage because on the foreign coverage i was watching you could barely hear the commentators above the crowd. It sounded like a good atmosphere. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly, I was thinking while watching how good the atmosphere sounded and how clear the songs where.

1st time I'd watched a live stream like that... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was it really that much better? Can't say I've watched a stream before.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

Who wants mascherano when that crazy msi is involved? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not me.

While I understand on one level why the media haven't made a big deal over this since the impact of the Masch and Tevez hasn't been massive, I still think that they should have/be probing the deal more than they are given that it goes against FIFA "law".

MSI clearly thrown a bung at Blatter btw...

• 1 month later...

"I was ABSOLUTELY sure the Mancs would score on that free-kick. Thats just the way they win matches. And to be honest, I would rather us finish 3rd or 4th each season than win the league on lady-luck."

Liverpool fans are ****ing priceless \O/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

And yeah, agree with regard to Fletcher. I guess you can look at the Carrick / Fletcher / Hargreaves trio with Carrick becoming the attacking focus. Still, I’d rather see two of those with a more genuine ‘hole’ player in there.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

3rd next season then lads. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You think Arsenal will come back that strongly next year? Interesting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do indeed. They'll finish 2nd to us, you 3rd, Chelsea 4th, probably after being docked 10 points for going into administration after Abramovic walks out.

I can dream icon_cool.gif But in the immortal words of Les Dennis "If its there I'll give you the money meself."

very happy weve got OH wrapped up so early and £17m is much better than i thought it would be. think he will be a superb addition.

cant believe the keeper reports are true unless were utterly loaded and no one has decided to mention it. must must must get a new winger, giggs just can not be relied on at all. and i want a forward too, need someone who will actually consistently hit the back of the net.

mon owen icon_cool.gif

jules you utter ******, why the hell do you want owen? he's not as good as he used to be and more injury prone than saha ffs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha yeh, well i only meant if we were going to keep saha and going to add a squad striker if we had too, keep him fit he will score you goals.

my bad

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

people in work telling me to support liverpool because they're english ffs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, feck that for a laugh.

'mon AC

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TtT:

Do you all think KR won't turn out to be good in the future? I haven't watched much tv this last few months. But whenever I watch him, I don't think he's good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Archived