The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

I'll welcome myself to this thread by doing the usual and posting some United news :

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Bradford City have pepped up their attacking options with the signing of former Manchester United striker Eddie Johnson.

The 21-year-old, who spent last season on loan at Crewe, was released by The Red Devils at the end of last season, having failed to earn a new contract at Old Trafford despite shining on his climb through the ranks.

A number of clubs came in with offers for the striker, with Crewe one of the teams in the frame, and Bradford boss Colin Todd proved to be the most persuasive.

Johnson has signed a two-year deal at Valley Parade and Todd will hope he can settle in Yorkshire and help spark a promotion push in League One. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Ruud van Nistelrooy says there is no ill feeling between himself and Manchester United team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo.

The pair reportedly do not see eye to eye and it has been claimed that a spat between the duo prompted Red Devils chief Sir Alex Ferguson to axe the striker towards the end of last season.

Van Nistelrooy's Holland meet Ronaldo's Portugal in the second round of the World Cup, fuelling talk that there could be a sub plot to the game in Nuremberg.

The Oranje centre forward is aware of the reports, but says his relationship with Ronaldo is a cordial one.

"We get on really well," said van Nistelrooy. "I have no problem with Ronaldo."

Van Nistelrooy is aware of the attacking threat carried by Luiz Felipe Scolari's Portugal and is expecting a tough game on Sunday.

"Portugal are a strong side," he added. "They have a lot of young players with talent, like Ronaldo." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

The first news that greets us this morning is that Sir Alex Ferguson was also slept through the World Cup too. How else can we explain the fact that he's about to splurge £14m on Michael Carrick? Did he not notice that there were at least a dozen midfielders on display in Germany who would be a lot cheaper than the pedestrian Spur and come a lot closer to resembling a 'new Roy Keane'? Sneaky Tottenham have already brought in Didier Zokora as a cut-price, superior replacement for Carrick, but why doesn't Ferguson move for his compatriot Yaya Touré? Or Ghana's Stephen Appiah? Or Esteban Cambiasso? Or Gennaro Gattuso? It's because Fergie's lost it, isn't it?

yes! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

exactly what i was about to quote. along with this bit

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">However, crafty Spurs are set to beat United to him, too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

just sums up what weve come to tbh

In fact I specifically remember early last season/year before noticing how Scholes was picking the ball up in deeper and deeper positions... until he was nearly alongside Rio at one stage.

Whilst he naturally does that on occasions, his starting position should really be over the half way line, so he can continue making the runs towards the box and contributing to our moves in the final stages rather than being restricted to starting them

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Didnt the Glazers say when they first came that being a private company would speed up transfers and all the guff that goes with them? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah. They also said that the takeover wouldn't adversely affect the fans and that it made sound financial sense, so I wouldn't take it as gospel. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Glazer-man says a LOT of things. OH yeah."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

f**k jinxes. have FAITH.

Got VdS, Wesley and Ronnie in my team </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same three as me actualy ffs icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by A sheppard herds the sheep:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

It doesn't rin in Manchester anywhere near as much as people say it does.

Take the weather now for instance, glorius sunshine \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hardly glorious, all's i can see outside is some chavs burning car tyres so there is only black smoke in the air icon_frown.gif

icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where I am it's sunny. I am now going out wearing no jacket it's that warm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha well its not that bad now, the chavs have stopped burning the tyres and the smoke is gone so it does look quite nice out there. infact i might go out and play football in a bit.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

*defends Ruud to the hilt*

Ruud > the haters

Keyser knows the score. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've not read the Ruud-hate. And dont need to.

what Mika said.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 3. Ryan Giggs - top midfielder - 102 points

5. Louis Saha - 4th best striker - 97 points

8. Wes Brown - 2nd best defender - 83 points

19. John O'Shea - 6th best defender - 72 points

25. Edwin van der Sar - 2nd best goalkeeper - 68 points

27. Rio Ferdinand - 11th best defender - 68 points

30. Mikael Silvestre - 12th best defender - 66 points

40. Cristiano Ronaldo - 10th best midfielder - 61 points

48. Wayne Rooney - 14th best striker - 58 points. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really Mika. (I nearly called you Mike then icon_redface.gif)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Are there things more important? icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

aye sometimes

waking up in time to drive down would be an idea, bloody early kick offs

i'll decide friday night when i get back from my exam whether or not i'll go as i have more uni stuff due in in a weeks time that needs doing

• 2 weeks later...

Im going to break from the masses and controversially go for:

MoM: Vidic - Thought he was utterly, utterly awesome today, Bolton's game plan suited him down to the ground and his clearance whilst at 2-0 was just as vital as Wayne's goals , because at that point Bolton may have snatched a point or more.

2nd: Wazza - Took his goes exeptionally well and continues to improve with every game so far this season. Worked his socks off (again) and was just a joy to watch.

Honorable mentions go to Carrick, Evra, Louis(thought his hold up play was superb) and Ronnie.

Today's game reminds me of the style of football we used to play back in the "golden era" (96-01) some relentless battering of opponents goal, brilliant performance by all (except O'shea icon_biggrin.gif). Three points against notlob , four goals and Richardson no where to be seen, utter bliss.

• 2 weeks later...

Erm, my MOTM for Portsmouth seeing as I forgot.

MOTM: Vidic

Runner Up: Rooney

I thought that the whole performance was superb, though we did fall asleep a couple of times at the back. Scholes was great, but did have a few off moments, Neville was superb going forward but a bit distant at the back........I think he just wanted to score so badly. The rest were just great and it is really pleasing to see us playing enterprising football again.

Happy anniversary Fergie.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

mark being very critical of Ronaldo for some strange reason. Quite frankly its not needed and to say 3 years of poor end product is ********. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I said generally poor, for the simple reason that while he's had spells of maybe a month or six weeks where he's been good before, this has been the first time he's been consistenly good for a significant period of time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

If you said that Ronaldos end product could be a lot better for someone of his ability then fair enough but if his end product has been poor for 3 seasons then its been crap end product all round from Manchester United give or take one or two players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could be a lot better, generally poor, not as good as it should be, you can use semantics all you like, that area of his game needed a lot of improvement, and therefore he was rightly criticised for it. What's the problem?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

And where has this three month stuff come from. Give it another month and i think we can safely say its been a 2006 where Ronaldo has been consistently good and had end product in spades. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sorry, Ronaldo was consitently good from January to May this year now? Talk about re-writing history.

Then we take todays penalty and yes he was hoping for contact and does leave a leg but he quite clearly trips over the ball. Watch his leading foot hit the ball as it makes contact with the ground and stumble over.

Yes there was one clear dive for a free kick later but that was it, those two incidents so even if you think both were dives then thats two in the whole game and when viewing the season as a whole i think it would be stupid to get on his back because although its never mentioned Rooney has dived more this season including going down very easily today trying to win a free kick he didnt get but nobody mentions that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"yes he was hoping for contact and does leave a leg" - sums it up.

the only reason he fell was because instead of trying to take the ball round the player and score, he was trying to engineer contact to get a penalty. That's cheating, and just like i call any player a cheat who does it for any other team, i'll do the same when i think one of our players does it. It's a cancer in the game that needs stamping out, and that'll never happen while people defend those sort of actions because either a) it's supposedly now part of the game, or worse b) because it's one of our players and he happens to be good.

I quite agree that taking the season as a whole he's been much better, but he's also had spells before where everyone has said how much he's cut it out, and then he's gone right back to hurling himself at every opportunity. As for Rooney, i only saw MOTD so i didn't see the supposed incident. The only other iffy on i can recall was where we won a penalty early on in the season, and i think i was undecided as to whether it was a penalty or not.

The lad has been our player of the season so far this season and i have no idea why fans of other clubs hate him and have a go over the slightest thing but when our own fans do it as well it just baffles me to be honest. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He certainly has been our player of the year. If you can't see why fans of other clubs hate him, after three years of generally diving at every opportunity apart from one or two short spells, then you're either very blinkered or very naive. As for his own fans doing it, anyone of them who wants to call any player of any other club for diving has to, if they want to avoid being a complete hypocrite.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hot on the heals of them reporting Rossis loan move Channel 4 have reported that we have offered Ronaldo to Juve. icon_biggrin.gif

United offer Ron to Juve

Manchester United are supposedly ready to offer Cristiano Ronaldo to Juventus in return for David Trezeguet and Raffaele Palladino.

Turin-based newspaper Tuttosport claims that United have renewed their interest in the Frenchman, who was already targeted last summer as Ruud Van Nistelrooy’s successor following his Real switch.

The Old Trafford outfit are apparently therefore ready to offer Ronaldo to the Bianconeri, but Sir Alex Ferguson has now asked for 22-year-old Palladino to be included in the operation as well.

While Juve are ready to sacrifice Trez, whose contract expires in 2008, they are unlikely to allow Palladino to leave seeing as he is part of their future plans.

Juventus have instead offered a youngster between Paolo De Ceglie, Claudio Marchisio and Sebastian Giovinco and are now waiting for a reply from the Premiership side.

Ronaldo is a market target for various European clubs including Barcelona, Valencia and Real Madrid, but Juventus could be favoured in the race to sign the 22-year-old.

The Bianconeri are ready to offer the midfielder a contract which would see him keep hold of his lucrative image rights.

Sportswear giants Nike, who supply both the player and the Italian club, are also reportedly ready to financially help the Turin giants net the 2006 World Cup star.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

how the hell do they get away with printing this stuff? it's bad enough when the press put 2 and 2 together and get 57, but this just looks like it's been randomly generated by a team of monkeys and a tombola.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

MoM: Michael Carrick

2nd: Ronaldo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed.

Pretty much exactly what 14ASifb said about the match as well.

And what Taz said about the media (broadcast & print) in relation to Rooney.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

And that's another thing, less with the Saha hate on this page.

He's awesome. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not Saha hate, it's The Bellion love icon_cool.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Dont know why i cared about the performance so much last night. I knew the team was crap and thought we would lose so should have been delighted we got through.

Still stand by what i said about Brown, i would happily sell both him and Silvestre to allow Pique and Evans to take their places. I really cant believe how bad his last two performances have been though.

And how come the Rafael and Fabio deal is in the news, i thought it was set up a couple of seasons ago? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would leave us ridiculously short of experience at centre back. Silvestre can gtf, but Wes should be 1st choice as back up centre back in case Vidic or Rio get an injury. Otherwise we're left with Heinze, who has never convinced me he could cut it as a premiership CB, O'Shea (enough said), and the two kids who are untried at this level (i believe Pique is generally playing centre mid in Spain?).

i realise the argument that if they never get games, how do they get experience, but you can still have them around as back up with an experienced player available as well should they need to be out of the firing line, or simply don't prove to be good enough. Most young players, regardless of how good they look in the reserves or on loan, don't cut it at our level, and until they prove themselves we can consider palying them, but shouldn't consider relying on them. Same goes for Rossi fwiw. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah Pique is playing Centre Mid or Right Back in Spain but looking right at home doing so.

We have some mediocre at best squad players and we should be looking to give youth a try at their expence. Evans is an International who has looked great at that level and by all reports looks top class in the Championship. He was also great in pre season.

And what can it hurt to give Rossi more chances, he has looked good for us up to now and is the ideal man to step in for Rooney when he is injured/suspended or just crap like he has been at times this season.

I understand what you are saying with keeping Brown and i'm all for that as long as the kids get a chance but i can see Fergie just using he and Heinze(If Silvestre goes) to cover both full back and centre back.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never been convinced by Sneijder. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sneijder > Flutie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

and i'm going to quite happily bite - Ruud's goal return for Madrid suggests he's anything other than past it icon_cool.gif

and Mika is essentially retired, so you can't call him past it, unless you want to call lots of other people's heroes past it.

Hendry is past it ofc *runs*

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

I'm currently expecting to win the Telegraph competition for two FA cup final tickets. I don't have a plan B if that goes wrong icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm in some BBC competition for 2 tickets to Sunday. My also enter the FA.com competition aswell for Cup final tickets.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

yeah, bagsy not doing that </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

can i miss some sections please icon_wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

ST in west lower was £437, £23 a game </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's cheaper than I expected, more than £200 cheaper than ours icon_eek.gif.

Archived