The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

If I owned a mug tree I'd kill myself.

Nick, how's the England shirt with Beckham on the back doing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you can't say a word, you wanted one with Crouch on the back.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">(and the attributed quoted seem more like some kind of PR guff than the way Ronaldo would speak) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

talking about the way Ronaldo would speak, anyone see him answer the ITV reporter about his injury after the Dutch game, perfect English icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

I hadnt seen much of Hargreaves at all for Bayern and his cameos for England, a lot of the time in the wrong position didnt show much either but he was fantastic in the World Cup playing DM and he looked miles better than Carragher at right back too.

Having seen what he can do i would love him at Old Trafford but the real Question is how ****ing stupid is Sven? Carragher, King, Carrick, Beckham, Gerrard and so on all played defensive midfield with little success and Hargreaves is fantastic there. Why did it take him 4 years to figure that out? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hargreaves started the last world cup as defensive midfielder. He got injured in the second game, in the first half against Argentina.

Sven has rarely played him in that role since.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pago:

i think we will end up getting kuszjak or whatever his name is as he has now said he wants to join man utd. therefore he will be unhappy with them rejecting bids. unhappy player will be sold. not on the cheap obviously, but not much more than 2.5m i dont think.

so as we are keeping rossi (i think he should go on loan to the championship personally) that definitely means no new striker then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure sure, Sky are reporting it as a general comment but the dutch reporter asked "are you going to bring a new striker in?" to which Fergie replied "there maybe something happening next week"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

you found the right little asian fella then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, he was sat next to us.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this summer going to finally wake up all the 'wait & see' brigade? The fact that we've made a profit on transfers (Ruud 10m, Mikel 6m, Spector 500k Blake 250k that I can think of against 14m for Carrick and the fact we aint signing TK until next year allowing his fee to paid from next summer's sales) this summer surely must make people realise we haven't got a pot to p*ss in.

Or is everyone going to fall for the 'we tried to get...' rubbish once again. They've had 3 months and got **** all done, because we've got no money.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the whole Hargreaves thing was a scheme put on with Bayern the fact we have allegedly such close ties with them. Make us think we're after players and make them look good for sticking to their guns.

The loaning of Rossi another such move to get rid of wages, despite the fact he's probably on very little.

It's like poor people complaining they haven't got a $5000 TV whilst forgetting they actually need food & shelter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Glenn Roeder has denied falling out with Sir Alex Ferguson over Giuseppe Rossi, with the Newcastle boss insisting the youngster can play alongside Obafemi Martins.

The Magpies beat off stiff competition to secure Rossi on loan from Manchester United, but he has so far been restricted to a bit-part role on Tyneside.

Red Devils chief Ferguson is eager for Rossi to secure regular playing time and reports suggest he is unhappy with developments at St James' Park.

Roeder says Ferguson has not voiced any sort of frustration and expects Rossi to figure prominently for Newcastle.

"Giuseppe Rossi has made a big impression at the club," Roeder told The Journal. "He's been here for a month and he's been on a few times.

"He couldn't play in the European games, which I accept, and he couldn't be involved at Old Trafford. That leaves four games he could have been involved in and he played in a couple.

"I'm sure that between now and when he returns to Manchester United on January 1 he will have had plenty of starts. He's made a good impression both as a player and a person."

Roeder has been keen to utilise Shola Ameobi's height alongside big-money recruit Obafemi Martins, but the Magpies chief feels the diminutive pair can form a partnership.

"I think we could pair the two of them (Rossi and Martins) together," Roeder added. "At home, where we are expected to make more of the running, it could work.

"Giuseppe is such a good footballer in terms of dropping off to get hold of the ball and he knows what's going on around him.

"Oba Martins could use his speed to make some clever runs and Giuseppe would be able to slide him in.

"Physically, they wouldn't be a big partnership but there is definitely the potential for the two of them to play together."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Richard Kurt in today's Examiner.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Disjointed and non-United but it can win you trophies

ONE of my favourite regular correspondents amongst the readers of this column remarked to me after the Benfica victory last week that my “momentary excitement and delusions of reaching the final may well have been dampened by last night, no?!â€

He was referring to the €200 bet I put on us to get to the final, in apparent contravention of all good sense and my own natural pessimism. Yet whilst it is true that the performance was grimly disjointed and, as Fergie himself admitted, somewhat ‘non-United’, such are the slightly shame-faced nights that win you trophies. After all, here we are, all but assured of qualification for the knockout stage — and simultaneously top of the league, despite several games in which we have been less than stellar, including what seemed like an epochal home defeat to Arsenal.

That Gunner Stunner had us all conjuring up the nightmares of 1998 and 2002 when Arsenal, by winning at Old Trafford, marked their temporary dominion over us, in both cases resulting in Arsenal titles. Suddenly all that seems forgotten and the identity of the two heroes of Sunday are significant.

Solskjaer, who I ought not need remind you is this club’s most loved player, scored his first home Premiership goals since April 5, 2003. Now then: a glorious flashback indeed. For that was during the magical spring spell that also saw Ole’s magisterial turn against Sunday’s opponents up at St James’, when United’s six goal dazzler put us en route to the most Devon Lochian title win in memory. Then again, also playing a blinder that day was John O’Pie, over whom we shall diplomatically draw a veil.

These optimistic comparisons can only take us so far, it seems. The other hero of Sunday, Ronaldo, is rapidly making us content to sweep his summer stupidities under a convenient carpet.

If only there was a third name to add to the roster of honour, namely Wayne Rooney. Most of last season I clung to the belief, repeated often here, that if United could have both Roo and Ron on form at the same time, nothing would stop us.

Rooney duly delivered for much of the campaign but Ronaldo increasingly became a non-delivering enigma. Of course, now we know why: his eyes were wandering elsewhere, specifically horizons Iberian.

Yes, he may be producing what turn out to be shop-window performances. So what? When the goods are coming through our door as frequently as this, we can live with it. How excruciating, though, that Rooney should be travailing through his own Valley of Forlorn at precisely this moment.

Every ex-pro and barrack-room shrink has had his say on his slump, to little real enlightenment, and I am not going to pretend that I have anything special to impart, beyond making a couple of observations.

One is that Old Trafford was once well-used to the phenomenon of world-class players going through lengthy lean spells. Just because, in recent years, our VERY best players have been the kinds of consistent Trojans who just don’t do slumps — Keane, Robson, Ince — we have forgotten that the Seventies and Sixties superstars were very susceptible indeed. Charlton was maddeningly inconsistent; Law would disappear for weeks on end; Best had legendary black-dog months.

Rooney will be fine — if he is treated well. Eamon Dunphy, a figure to whom I would always defer in matters United and who knows more than most about dressing rooms in decline or conflict, has suggested that Rooney’s demeanour speaks of a fundamental problem within the club. By which, one assumes, he means more than just the usual Dunphy-prescribed disease of ‘lack-of-Keane-itis’. I don’t know if there is anything to his supposition, although one does hear more reports of dressing room aggro than one would expect, given that the old catalysts Roy and Ruud have left.

According to my sources, one such bust-up allegedly took place between a midfielder and a defender in Lisbon, for example. Naturally, one will continue to **** a keen ear for any such rumblings but meanwhile one trusts Wayne will receive whatever he needs to get back on top. Special treatment such as the deserving Ronaldo received, who I am told was excused the team flight back from Lisbon last week so that he could hang out with compatriots there for an extra night. Old warhorses tut-tut at this kind of exceptionalism but Fergie has often been very good at this kind of thing. And any man who can get as much as he did out of a challenging case like Cantona is surely worth placing some trust in when it comes to handling Rooney. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Tony Coton with a great "Who?" look in the main picture.

And his Heinze having a cheeky grab at Ronaldo's cojones </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha icon_biggrin.gif

Also JOS clearly giving Rooney one up the rear

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

Rooney just on Blue Peter was asked

Champions League or World Cup

He said Champions League icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fb icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Undoubtedly already discussed, but he kissed the badge on Saturday as well.

HERE FOR LIFE icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

btw lads, the Celtic fans think the ref was against them icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LMFAO. to call the ref fair would be a understatement imo- never mind against celtic- more like against man utd

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Mon us winning, we so need a run to help our coefficients and keep us in the top seeds for next season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Christ icon_biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

The versatile midfielder has made just five starts this term, which can be attributed to the form of the evergreen Ryan Giggs, the resurgence of Paul Scholes, star quality of Cristiano Ronaldo and that he is ****ing dire \o/

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fixed

• 2 weeks later...

I guess he's just a manager who would rather win 1-0 than 5-4, which isn't what we like particularly.

The one thing I worry about when Fergie goes is that our approach to buying players might change. It's funny that given my dislike for the English national team, I do like how Fergie has kept an English core to the team, and I think that helps us somehow, I'm not sure why but I think it's a good thing having a British core, while obviously buying foreign players when they fit into what SAF wants.

It would be a shame if we got an Italian manager for instance who just signed a load of his countrymen who didn't know the league, I think it would hurt us.

Not saying that I want us to do a Spurs and buy any English player that breathes, but I'd like us to keep the balance that we have now.

Keep Saha, he's fb when match fit. There aren't actually many better options out there if you're looking for someone who's quick, got good movement but can still hold the ball up and is decent in the air.

Honestly, if he was a more instinctive finisher he'd be MILES better than Ruud. As it is, he's only a tad better. icon_smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Italian striker Giuseppe Rossi expects to return to United next term after a valuable season out on loan.

The 20-year-old is an integral part of Parma's fight against relegation from Serie A, and also spent three months before Christmas at Newcastle United.

Rossi was quoted in the Oldham Chronicle as saying: “My contract with United does not expire until June 2010 and I expect to complete it."

The striker has three goals to his name for Claudio Ranieri's side from nine appearances, and he is delighted with how his season has panned out.

“It is important for young players to get their chance and I am getting my chance at Parma where I am turning out regularly and playing well," he said.

“Going to Newcastle was also a good experience, though I didn’t play as much, but the important thing was that I learned a lot while there.â€

Rossi briefly returned to England last weekend, starting the Italian U21's pulsating 3-3 draw against England at Wembley.

“Of course it was special to be here," he said. "Just by saying the name Wembley makes you have goose bumps. It was a great occasion and I think we put on a good show."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rossi. icon_cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jorge Valdano thinks the same about Capello and the current Real Madrid. He’s isn’t hypocrite. What's his position? icon_confused.gif former player/manager/director?

His Real Madrid was a joy to watch.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

guys what will you be doing after the game tomorrow? im prob going to head to trafford or blaize for a few hours but if a bunch of you are about i may come and say hello... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

still planning on going somewhere for a few pints afaik. trafford and blaize will be a bit mental, we were looking at the tollgate, trafford park hotel, somewhere like that. probably easier to meet somewhere after the game and the decide en masse where to head.

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

It's all very well going with Kieran Richardson hate in the title, but what happens when in the middle of July he's offloaded to Robbo and our thread is essentially defunct?

Just use 'champions' or 'home of champions'. It's much better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just get Juni to do a thread title change for us. Probably we'll have something better by then...

Archived