The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

It's ok, there'll be beef for as long as Gary keeps kicking Reyes icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We'll bring back Phil just for those games icon_cool.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

really, the team we wanted relegated most stayed up. i can't see us going for anyone at juve, fiorentina or lazio.

not that i could see us getting pirlo or gattusso anyway either. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

vieira will do you, 30 but would improve you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"It doesn't matter who I am thinking about bringing into my midfield </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

stop thinking about it and do it ffs icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

not sure if the mad rant is really needed.

it would be unusual for someone to come out and announce 'hi world, we have £25m to spend' so its stupid being worried by the term 'sufficent funds'.

restructuring the debt is sensible. they've just saved £28m a year. thats a phenomenal amount. yes the overal debt has increased by £80m but thats the standard way a restructuring loan will work and so anything to help lower the amount being lost in interest is a good move.

might as well get used to is as this will be an almost annual occurence with them constantly trying to bring the interest rates down which is obviously sensible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All true ofc, but at the same time, does the fact that this phenomenal reduction in the annual interest payments still leaves us having to pay £62 million we could have used in more productive ways without the takeover not justify a rant at the Glazer c**ts?

Because for me, it hammers home just how farcical this takeover is and how screwed we probably still are.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Sir Fergie eyes prize

Friday July 21 2006

Sir Alex Ferguson is clinging to the idea that Chelsea might take their eyes off the Premiership prize this season.

Despite the Blues having strengthened considerably while United have been unable to attract any new names to Old Trafford, Ferguson believes Chelsea's European ambitions could provide an opening in the Premiership.

"Ours is a very young squad and we hope to see an improvement that will bring us closer to challenging Chelsea, because I still think they are the team to beat," admitted Ferguson.

"They have added two very experienced players in Ballack and Shevchenko and they're also talking of signing Roberto Carlos, but I can understand that in terms of their European challenge.

"These signings suggest to me that they are going to concentrate on Europe and try to win that.

Ferguson was keen to stress that the greater experience of the Chelsea squad would not give them any advantage over his own maturing club.

"They want as much experience as possible and they won't be far away, but we will have more experience, too, because the young players are maturing and are playing at a good competitive level. With Juventus and AC Milan out of the way it's a very open European Cup this year, and you could say that applies to us as well."

Ferguson had openly admitted he wanted to sign players from Juventus following their relegation from the Serie A, but he has so far been disappointed. Lilian Thuram and Gianluca Zambrotta signed for Barcelona on Thursday night, while Fabio Cannavaro and Emerson have both moved to Real Madrid.

They could well be joined in the Spanish capital by Ruud van Nistelrooy, United's top-scorer once again last season, although Madrid have warned they will not pay over the odds for the Dutchman.

Whether or not he loses his main goal threat, Ferguson maintains that United will challenge for their first title since 2003.

"There's always huge expectation at our club, and it wouldn't matter if we had won the league the previous season or two years ago," he insisted.

"We always have to win the league." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

i get the feeling richardson will play a big part for us this year and will actually do quite well.

the ****. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

If you'd overlook my doom from last season I've been pretty optimistic for a few weeks now icon_biggrin.gif

Not Gregg style optimistic, but happy with the squad, and with a couple of signings we should at least be able to fight near the top of the table. It all depends on the signings, we'll see at the end of August where we are. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How am i overly optimistic?

I don't really expect us to win the league but I think we have as good a chance as anybody of winning the cups we're entered in.

How is that overly optimistic. I accept the situation we're in. I'll set my standards and cut my cloth accordingly.

Just because i'm not prepared to join the queue of people desperate to suck Ruud's dick and see the situation of a great player leaving the club in a different light to you doesnt mean i think everything is awesomely brilliant.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Timmy Howard:

Ben Foster is doing that Pro-life thing on skysports.com, could be interesting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What? Protesting outside abortion clinics? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nono lol.. It's like an online diary of a pro footballer.

The likes of Queuderue and Trundle did it last year

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James M:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

So took the little bro on the stadium tour this morning, havent done it for over a decade.

To cut a short story shorter, i was sat in the home dressing room in the same spot Silvestre sits. \o/

Everyone on the tour was waiting in line to sit where Ronaldo does and i was the only guy who sat somewhere else.

And dont get me started on how stupid the people where. When the bloke goes on about Bar 68 and asking what we won then and won again in 99, nobody else had a clue but me and little bro.

They had no idea who bobby Charlton was and some asked what an international cap was. icon_biggrin.gif

In person the S on Stretford looks awful but the new quadrants make the stadium look a lot better.

Hopefully i can sort my credit card out and get it unblocked so i can get up for a game soon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd have LOVED to have seen Morgs in the same room. There would have been murders. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"What do you mean David Jones doesn't have his own space?! icon_mad.gif :froth: :fume:"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

It might help if SOMEBODY on the boards got them? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The post wasn't aimed at anyone, don't see why it should be a consideration.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by elmonzo:

Nice performance from Carrick last night. icon14.gif

Couple of questions:

1. What are the full lyrics to the You Are My Solskjaer song?

2. Has there been a round-up done yet? I know some of you were waiting on mine to be posted but personal difficulties arose soon after starting it and I haven't looked at it since. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. you are my solskjaer, my ole solskjaer,

you make me happy, when skies are grey

oh alan shearer, was ****ing dearer

please don't take my solskjaer away

2. nah. no-one did one after 50 and it's snowballed a bit now to the stage where anyone taking it on officially needs to have no life, no job and an inordinate amount of free time.

hmmm

• 2 weeks later...

Now I was thinking about us once again being title challengers and to do that I really think we need to buy in January, a defensive midfielder ala Hargreaves would do it for me to believe but anyway. Say this war chest is real, the one that was promised for every transfer window and we have never seen yet, or we need to sell players to make money to buy then how would you shape the squad in a way that’s as realistic as possible?

Goalkeepers: I don’t see why Edwin wouldn’t be here next season or why he wouldn’t be just as good. You look at who comes in when he goes and Ben Foster put in yet another MoM performance at the weekend. Nobody is saying he will be world class but at the minute he looks someone who could step in and do well for us. Add Kuszczak as #2 and we look sound.

Defenders: Evra has pretty much ended Silvestres(I love you Mickey) United career with his form this season. You look at the defence and you just wouldn’t have Silvestre as more than the third choice left back and 4th choice centre back.

We can look to move him on and that leaves us with Neville, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Heinze and Brown. If we could add to that next season by getting both Evans and Pique back then that looks good in terms of both talent and depth for me. Yes we really need to look for a Neville replacement but I feel we have at least 18 months from now to do so.

Talking in terms of someone to replace Neville the only person from England at least that I think looks a great prospect is Micah Richards, although I think he might be considered more of a centre back. From our own ranks I’m not too sure, I think Simpson would be considered the brightest prospect.

Midfield: No doubting this is still our weakest area even after buying Carrick. Whoever we have we are short of a good defensive midfielder who can break up the play and compliment both Carrick and Scholes. He will also eliminate the need to drop either Giggs or Ronaldo to give us that extra defensive bite when playing the big boys.

The quality of our cover is poor and both Giggs and Scholes are getting on in years. Park is injured for the moment too. O’Shea and Richardson shouldn’t get near the first team.

If we sell both John and Kieran then we are left with Ronaldo, Scholes, Carrick, Giggs, Fletcher & (Park). Very thin I agree but if you add that defensive midfielder we start to look a lot better and Ole can cover the wing for the time being but if we could bring in a pacey winger then that would be great. This really isn’t covering anything new I know but still.

For me I don’t see why Jonah cant do the covering that Richardson and O’Shea would have provided but I’m not too hot on him either. Then you think about next season and you have Martin back as cover as well. For me the Richardsons, O’Sheas, Jones and Martins of this world are all interchangeable so we might as sell the ones with the biggest reputations that have had their chance and will fetch in some dollar.

Strikers: As much as I hate to say this because I love the guy, I don’t see where Smith fits in. He has the hustle and bustle of Rooney and he can hold it up but I don’t think he offers enough outside that. Maybe its time to cash in on him and buy someone else to complete a quartet like we had in 99?

We look good in the striker department and we would look damn great if we added another, maybe a younger version of Ruud? Or another pacey striker like Saha.

Rooney, Saha, Rossi and one other would look great. Add to that we still have Ole then we are looking good. The new guy though needs to be someone that can lead the line like a Ruud or Saha, we don’t need a link player with both Rossi and Rooney at the club.

Sell: Silvestre, O’Shea, Richardson, Smith

Buy: 1 Defensive midfielder (1 Forward, 1 Winger, 1 Right Back as soon as)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

sorry icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would demand some kind of compensation for my mental anguish but you gave me the Wigan spare & the Blackburn spare last season so I will let you off jsut this once.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Oh and what the hell has happened to RI? It was actually "decent" when it reopened now this ***** Mobboss has come along and made a non football forum?

feck that for a laugh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Wasn't Mobboss just a user before the new fourm?

Now him and chatmaster ruined RI </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seems so yeah, at first I thought he was a WUM but seems not, won't be using the main forum again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

how many goals is that now for solskjaer:

a) this season

b) in his united career? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>6 & 122 i think

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Probably Illegal:

Any idea if this is being streamed on some foreign channel so I can watch? I doubt it seeing as it isnt on sky but I thought i'd ask. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.myp2p.eu/Matches/Match3.htm

• 4 weeks later...

Europe XI: The squad so far

David Beckham (Real Madrid)

Steven Gerrard (Liverpool)

Jamie Carragher (Liverpool)

Eric Abidal (Olympique Lyonnais)

Gregory Coupet (Olympique Lyonnais)

Juninho (Olympique Lyonnais)

Ronaldinho (Barcelona)

Carles Puyol (Barcelona)

Gianluca Zambrotta (Barcelona)

Lilian Thuram (Barcelona)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

I don't see any of the teams below City catching them to be honest. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbh I don't see City picking up many points between now and the end of the season, they have such a bad run in compared to Charlton. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've not seen it to be honest, I just think that they'll have the firepower to get the points that they need.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

danny welbeck thats the one icon14.gif

lets hope we can end arsenal's last chance of silverware icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Still going gonch?

apparently we've sold 34,000 tickets so far, your lads wont be able to handle the pressure icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeh im going, been roped into taking my 2 cousins now as well. one's arsenal the other is united, about 8 and 11 years old.

quite looking forward to it, gutted i didnt remember until last night as its a tenner entry now, damn rip off merchants.

we'll stuff you, brandy >>> yous

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

OHHH WANKY WANKY, WANKY WANKY WANKY WANKY WANDERERS

was quite worried about today. ace to be able to stop worrying and enjoy the game so early. Ronaldo just godly atm, looked like he did brilliantly for the first goal, the second goal was just a stunning stunning counter attack, looked like jaaskelainen made a mess of the third but wp ji for following in. never really troubled defensively, vida and gaby were ace, rio's distribution was atrocious although the bout of keepy-uppy with wes at the end was brilliant. carrick had a really good game, jos was so-so after a pitiful start, park did very well and took his goals surprisingly coolly, giggsy did alright in his more advanced role and rooooooooneh was back something near his best. richardson typically pap when he came on, shame he didn't get sent off really. smudge did well.

atmosphere was surprisingly good for a 12.45ko, that old title-chasing feeling is well and truly back. only one rendition of the cringeworthy stand up and support your team, not many scouse songs, plenty of proper united songs. bolton were gash, from the cheering of nev's injury to the aeroplane gestures at 3-0 down to the easeh chant after their consolation. still, i'm sure they'll console themselves by shagging a relative or two tonight.

only negative atmosphere-wise was a cockney woman behind me clearly at her first ever match. 50/60-odd, but spent the whole game shouting 'come on rooney! i love you ronaldo!' like a lovesick schoolgirl and embarrassing her son spectacularly. highlights included 'why are they playing up the other end?' whenever the action was down towards the scoreboard, 'ooh, i thought he was a foreigner' when told Wes was english, singing 'walking in a fergus wonderland' and claiming she knew the name of the Bolton manager, only to tell everyone it was Stan Dice. if i'd been drunk i'd have probably found it funnier i suppose. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

From September to February I had community service every Saturday so that ruled them out. Weeknights I can't get up in time without taking 2 days off work. Sundays can't do for similar reasons. I don't drive, so need to get someone else to come up and I've only got one mate who drives and is a United fan.

So it's tough, but I get up whenever I can. So, when a game is closer to where I live and I have a chance of a ticket and of getting there, then what's the problem.

If I could, I'd go to every game. I hate having to turn tickets down, but sometimes it just can't be done

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Rio told the woman (who he belted the ball at) to wait for a few minutes after full time, came out and gave her his shirt.

fantastic stuff. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wp Rio icon14.gif, although I do agree with what Nick said about shed should be watching the game.

Well what can I say about the mtch yesterday apart from Get in! Thought before the match that this was one huge potential bananna skin and at half time my fears were vindicated, but we should the character of champions (again) and fully deserved the three points.

thought it was going to be 'one of those days' in the second half when we threw everything at them and still couldnt score and then just when I begin to think we have blown it , the ginger prince pops up and scores a really well taken goal. When Carricks goal went in I was still trying to wonder who on earth Giggs missed the open goal minutes before, it was actually another well taken goal by Carrick (so many players would have smashed that instead of gently placing it). Good follow up play by Park for his goal very similar to one of his goals against Bolton, just hope he keeps his goal scoring up because he works his socks off for the team whenever he plays and deserves a few more goals. The icing on the cake yestereday was an Ole goal great play by Rooney & Parky and a finish we have come to expect from our number 20.

MoM: Ronaldo - constant threat and again was probably the difference between one point and three.

2nd: Michael Carrick - was very impressed yesterday and took his goal very well.

Honorable mentions: Scholesy, Park, Rio & Gabby.

AFFG: Brown

P.S. Was probably the best atmosphere I have experienced in North Stand yesterday was absolutley awesome at the start of the second half and went stragith through until then end (apart from people leaving with a good 15 minutes to go ffs icon_mad.gif) .

5 more wins.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived