The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

How much SPL do you watch Mark? How much of a drop in performance has there been since the move from Celtic?

Based on what I've seen since the move, I'm just a bit taken a back that even a Liam Miller operating at the height of his abilities on a consistent level would be a starter for Celtic, even much of an asset. Or is the SPL just that weak? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not any now, but a bit while Miller was there, plus his european games for them. On top of that, add the opinion of quite a few Celtic fans i know who's opinions i respect.

As far as i'm concerned, the player we've seen since the transfer simply isn't the same player who played for Celtic. I don't know how much his injury problems have taken their toll, how much he was overawed playing for us (although coming from a club the size of Celtic, i don't think that'll be a major issue), how much it's not getting a run in the side or playing out of position, or if there's something else. Maybe it's even that Martin O'Neill gets things out of players that few other managers repeat? But whatever it is, we've seen nothing like what he's capable of.

That's not to say he'd have made it here, i don't think he would. At the time i thought it was a gamble worth taking as he was free. But i think it's hard to talk about him 'at the height of his abilities' if you've only seen him since we got him, because that doesn't do him justice.

Oh, and while there may be an element of the SPL being weaker in him looking good before the move, it was in some tough european games where he impressed the most, and the fact that he didn't shine against the lower league opposition in the cup games he had down here showed that there was a lot more to it than that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Ruud's build up play is ridiculously underrated, I've lost count of the number of times the ball was lumped up to him at the front while he was surrounded by players and he kept the ball and started a move that he often finished off himself. Less so this season maybe but beforehand for sure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

compared to someone like Shrearer or Henry he was a lazy git. Yes, there were times that he did great stuff - and those flashes showed that he should have done it a lot more often. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really dont understand the whole Henry works hard for the team guff. He does as much/little as any main striker does for their team. If he thinks he can pinch the ball off a defender he'll chase, otherwise he can look as disinterested as anyone.

fwiw, Ruud seemed to be quite hard working whenever i saw him, maybe injuries have restricted that of late.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Even the communications is a shambles.

Gill is Fergie's boss. They should sort out their stories. At the very least Fergie shouldn't contradict what Gill has said.

Unless he's trying to deflect the blame away from himself.

It's very disappointing that this mess has taken the shine away from a new season which should have brought new hopes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Celtic ticket came this morning \o/

It's in the South stand though, however doesn't bother me too much as the atmosphere should be quite good for that game at least. I *think* it's towards the away fans end too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'll be able to smell the buckfast icon14.gif

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Not even Fulham? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm pretty comparable to that I guess.

My surprise at how we started is probably largely due to expecting Bolton to be the ones to come out with all the aggression and attacking thrust in the early stages.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The_Bends:

We are unbelievably good at the moment. Long may it continue

Rooney is fb

Fletcher is fb

Everyone except O'Shea is fffffffffffffffffffffb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just hope Saha will one day learn to score 1 on 1's with the keeper icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

true, he isnt the best in 1 on 1 situations, but on the other hand he scores a lot of goals others wouldn't and his all round game for us so far this season has been excellent. just wish he could start burying more 1 on 1s though </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes his all round game is helping us but he has had more than 10 one on one chances with the keeper and he hasn't buried a single one. I wouldn't expect him to bury all of them but 1 on 1 situations he should nail half of them icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

if I didn't support Glazer I would of give up my season ticket and become an FCUM fan. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not everyone opposed to the takeover goes or went to FCUM. The membership of MUST was around 30,000 at the time of the takeover. FCUM membership is around 4,000. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha, I missed that gem first time round. There you have it lads, those of us that still go are clearly right behind uncle Malc.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Fergie hints at striker move

Sir Alex Ferguson has refused to rule out bringing in striking reinforcements during the transfer window.

The Red Devils are currently top of the league as well as the Premiership goalscoring charts, but with Alan Smith struggling for form after his lengthy absence and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer currently suffering from a hamstring injury, United have been rumoured to be planning a winter recruitment drive.

Ferguson has been constantly linked with a move for Atletico Madrid star Fernando Torres, and the Scot may decide to enter the transfer market to provide more competition for current first choice partnership Louis Saha and Wayne Rooney.

The Scot was unsurprisingly unwilling to talk about targets following the 2-1 win over Sheffield United, but seemed to leave the door open to potential transfer manoeuvres in the New Year.

"How many times have I bought players in January?" smiled Ferguson.

"Okay. There were a few. We will have to see what happens."

Although Saha was firmly in the shadow of Rooney on Saturday, with the England star bagging a brace against The Blades, the former Fulham man has played a crucial role at Old Trafford this season.

After seemingly ending the string of injuries that have afflicted him at times during his stay in Manchester, Ferguson is now hopeful that Saha can stay out of the treatment room for the rest of the season.

"As we keep saying about Louis, we have to keep him fit," Ferguson added. "That is the key for him.

"He had a terrible spell when he first came here. He got injuries playing for France and one with us last summer in Japan that kept him out for four months.

"But when he came back he immediately started to score goals, first in the League Cup, then he had a good run in the league.

"His ratio of goals per game is healthy and he is a very important player for us."

United's 2-1 win over The Blades leaves them three points clear at the top of the table ahead of a huge week in which The Red Devils will travel to Scotland to play Celtic before taking on Chelsea in The Premiership.

Ferguson is typically looking forward to the two clashes, insisting he is pleased United have a high-profile UEFA Champions League game before their Premiership showdown.

"The Chelsea game is obviously gathering arms and legs at the moment," said the Scot.

"It will be built up and built up right until kick-off time, so it is a good thing we have this really important match coming up on Tuesday.

"I am sure the players are aware how important this week is.

"I don't think you can avoid it.

"We know who is on our coat-tails in the league at this moment but we know we must be consistent over the remaining 25 games.

"If we can achieve that, we have a fantastic chance in the league." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryno:

Mika, when are you going to realise that he is a waste of space? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It'll be right after he gets over Ruud leaving.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jep:

So many twists and turns yet to come - its football ffs icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Speculating is what makes it fun though. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye it is, but fans going through the highs and lows now will see them reversed in a few weeks probably.

Never seen so many negative posts from NickOGS20 as I have today, but no doubt in a few weeks he will be happy as larry - thats the beauty of football.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

Trafford is a good pub, I go in there most home games it's huuuuuge but a fair walk to the ground. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think your thinking of the Trafford Hotel, Eddie means the Trafford pub which is only about 5 minutes from OT icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Saha back for Sunday

United striker Louis Saha could be called upon for Sunday’s crucial visit to White Hart Lane after overcoming a knee injury.

The 28-year-old forward has been in and out of action in recent weeks, but missed the 2-1 FA Cup win over Portsmouth and the 4-0 Premiership victory against Watford with a minor knock.

However, United’s second-top goalscorer this season should be back in action against Spurs in the first of seven vital away matches before the end of the season.

“We should have Louis back for the match against Tottenham,†Sir Alex told MUTV.

“He started full training wityh us on Wednesday so he should be ready for Sunday.â€

After Spurs, United face Fulham, Liverpool, Portsmouth, Chelsea, Everton and Manchester City away from home. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I went on when you played Daisy Hill, decent support, I think you won 4-0, I can remember you had some huuuuge black bastard striker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ex man city and aberdeen striker, leon mike eats too many pies, got good touch, leon mike icon_biggrin.gif

he has left us this season after struggling to get match fit.

Due to circumstances beyond my control I ended up watching the game with my father in law on about a 10 minute delay…in the end I couldn’t cope with the last 5 minutes and checked the result on my phone…to say I was surprised would be an understatement. I think I got away with my surprisingly prescient comments as injury time played out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Did anyone else shout OFF! OFF! OFF! and then boo the referee when he only gave Richardson a yellow? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At the time I thought "what a numpty" utter stupid tackle/challenge.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

but on a related note to NOGS20's point, I too had that feeling after the 3rd/4th onward goals like... just a sort of stand there and think 'what the hell is this' ... it becomes very hard to comprehend when you start destroying a team like that.

cant complain though

• 3 weeks later...

So, just finished watching the match on tape as was at work.

What can I say icon_eek.gif

Thought Solskjaer was disappointing aswell as Evra but rest of the lads played well.

Let back in by a mistake from their goalie but tbh I thought we deserved the win, unlucky first goal and their second was just a flash of brilliance. IMO we were the better team and for a good period were all over Everton.

Good jump by Ronaldo for second goal to get the assist for Neville who finished well tbf.

Rooney's goal was absolutely fb, great composure, neat little touch around Hibbert and a great finish.

And Chris Eagles icon_cool.gif

Also, Chelsea drawing helped icon_biggrin.gif

FB DAY icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

buffy bashers make me sick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just out of interest, in what context are we using "bash" here?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

no, forssell </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I started my post before Mart's was up, smartarse icon_mad.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Manchester United could face a £10m battle with Juventus for Dutch star Klaas Jan Huntelaar.

Only £10M? Really? Thought he'd be a lot more than that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeh, I was surprised when I saw that.

Archived