The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

It'll be fine, look what was posted on YOU GUESSED IT!

Don't forget, the Glazers promised a kitty of £25 million net per season for transfers when they arrived. In the first season they spent £20.5M on Park, Van der Sar, Vidic and Evra, but received £6M for P Neville & Kleberson, so there's still £10.5 million left over from last season's budget (supposedly). Add the £12M we got for Obi Wan Kenobi Mikel. And the £25 million budget for this season. And the anticipated £25 million we'll get for Ronaldo.

Basically the Glazers should be spending £73 million this summer on bringing players in just to match the spending levels they promised when they arrived, not to actually give us anything beyond that. Don't hold your ****ing breath, though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We should have a redcafe quote every day.

It'll brighten us up before the inevitable descent into doom and despair brought on by the consideration of our Richardson-Giggs-O'Shea-Fletcher midfield.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> few of the arrivals since last summer — Edwin van der Sar, Park Ji Sung, Ben Foster, Nemanja Vidic and Patrice Evra — have stirred Old Trafford passions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Harsh tbf. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

4 of those were good signings as far as I'm concerned.

And 3 have stirred my passions to varying degrees </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep icon14.gif

And Evra could still work...maybe :/

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rb:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has reviewed his current striker situation, and has revealed that he plans to play Alan Smith as a forward when the ex-Leeds man returns from injury.

Smith suffered from a horrific leg break in The Red Devils' FA Cup tie with Liverpool last season, but Ferguson is now planning the 25-year-old's role in his side for when he makes his recovery.

Smith, a striker in his time at Leeds, made a controversial £7 million switch across the Pennines in 2004 and originally started his Old Trafford career in attack.

The England international was pressed into a midfield role to try to compensate for the loss of Roy Keane, but he could now revert to a striker again.

"We are going to convert Alan Smith back into being a forward," said the Scotsman.

"He will be back in training soon and should be available by the end of August or the beginning of September."

The tenacious Yorkshireman has already demonstrated his skills in front of goal for United, having scored four times in his first five appearances for the club.

Ferguson had been expected to make a move for a new striker in the current transfer window, but is now seemingly looking to juggle his current options, rather than splash out on a new signing.

"We have Louis Saha and Wayne Rooney and we are considering keeping Giuseppe Rossi with us, even though I would prefer him to go out on loan for six months," he continued.

Despite Ferguson's striking situation being aided by the return to fitness of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, his side have been linked with a number of big names this summer, including Tottenham's Jermain Defoe, Atletico Madrid's Fernando Torres and David Trezeguet of Italian side Juventus.

His side are likely to be without Ruud van Nistelrooy next season, who is the subject of a rejected bid from Spanish giants Real Madrid, and his imminent departure has prompted many a link with some of Europe's biggest names. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

^ That was the article I was referring to earlier I think. Its from skysports. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

all that article says to me is 'we have no money, my hands are tied' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where's that 10 mil we bid for Carrick gone then?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Kit looks better with those white shorts.

Red Shirts

White Shorts

Black Socks

should be the ONLY way we play when wearing our home kit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eh ? Make you mind up ? icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Too late Jules son. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

/o\, mon the dazzle. Im backing him to have a STORMER.

Those of you that were baying for Ronaldo’s blood a month back should continue to do so, or you’ll come across as hypocritical w*nkers. I’ve got a list

Silvestre is fffffffffb. Remember that.

A season at West Brom would be much better for Jones than the very odd appearance for us.

Nick lost his ? because of a drop in his standard of posting.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

Infact just cancelled the ticket for spurs £45 including everything! Mart hook me up from RI, thats like an extra 50% on ticket price. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you not a one united member? Or have they not got their **** together yet? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeh but it says spurs are sold out, cant apply any more for that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

channel 4 the same lot that linked us with adriano in a £42m swoop so ill take that in the same way i would a balague/juni rumour. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well its on SkySports too.. but they just refer to "rumours in Italy"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

I was born in St.Mary's as well, although Stepping Hill was always my local hospital and i still do some work there.

Half my family (my mums side) were blues, and my dad's side are celtic fans, but i had the good luck of both growing up in manchester and a dad who realised he should take me to see the decent manchester team icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

do you know VENDMAN? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no icon_confused.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

well nick, since you kindly took the time to try and make my opinion look somehow inferior i will riposte.

having watched the game again, while ronaldo did have some moments of inspiration like the goal and a couple of other bits of skill/chances he created, for me he was still frustrating at times. i dont think he did enough to consider as my man of the match particularly given the ability and potential he has. he could have done more for me, and just because he was our best attacking player by a mile didnt mean i considered him our best player overall.

its no indictment on him, i love the guy. just an opinion about a game in which we drew 1-1 with what was a championship side just a few months back.

icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was quite patronising, wasn't I? go me

I can't remember who you chose as 1 and 2 for motm, vds and someone else iirc, I just don't see what on earth they did that could put them ahead of Ronnie? VDS made one decent enough save, looked solid of course but he was hardly stretched in any way. No other outfield player was any more than average. But whatever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well imo van der sar's save from kevin doyle prevented us from losing just as much as ronaldo's equaliser. so yeh, difference of opinions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

right tomorrow, james isn't coming iirc, keith i don't know about, mart won't get there much before kick-off - is anyone likely to be at the wall or are we just not bothering and saving all our wall energy for sunday?

decide soon, if no i shall get drunk in town

\O/

Tonight in bullet-point form:

- How on earth is it possible for cockneys up here for the game (Spurs fans as well ffs) not to be able to understand the metrolink map? There's two ****ing lines ffs. How the hell do they manage on the tube?!

- Danes afb

- Alan Kenyon's pronunciations of the Copenhagen players' names icon_biggrin.gif

- Saha having one of his 'couldn't hit a farmyard animal's rear end with a stringed instrument' days /O\

- Scholesy so good, great to see him back scoring icon_cool.gif

- Vidic and Evra both settling in and looking increasingly like United players and value for money icon14.gif

- Carrick's best game for us so far?

- If Carlsberg made double substitutions..... :****)

- **** OFF KIERAN RICHARDSON icon_mad.gif Seriously, why the hell not give Jonah a run-out in place of Scholesy there? What's to lose? As it is now the homo-haired waster has scored a flukey goal and probably earned himself a starting place on Sunday icon_mad.gif

- aaaaaaaaand back to happy thoughts. Great result, practically through already, win in Denmark goes a long way towards winning the group, great way to go into the big game on Sunday \O/

formalities - MOTM Scholesy, 2nd Wazza. Honourable mentions to Vida, Evra, Carrick and Ole when he came on.

- O'Shea almost tolerable at right-back \O/

- fans around me such morons. easy-chanting asians,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

course I did, 7.01am, Fulham home isn't seen as a big game, evidently icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My driving instructor would say that icon_biggrin.gif

I assume that you're in the end where you want to be too then.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rsl:

pretty sure Birmingham charged a huge price for tickets in the prem 3 years back now </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Birmingham charged us $45 last season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i knew it. you're a glazer, aren't you?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

T-Ho sold to Everton permanently then, five-year deal. No word on a fee yet it seems.

Clearly the best move for all parties I think. Fantastic keeper in terms of athleticism, agility and pure shot-stopping ability, about as good as I've ever seen. Just lacking mentally in terms of what it takes to be first-choice keeper at one of the very top clubs, although he's still young in goalie terms and there's nothing to say he won't develop in that respect.

Best of luck to him anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it was obvious to everyone this would happen. It is the best thing for all parties and i wish Tim all the best.

We will have sold ourselves short on the fee though as we always do. Howard has been very good for Everton this season as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

It's awesome having polack on ignore.

gtf morgan </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

:*(

And you were biting as recent as yesterday.

Still shopping with your bezza mate must be awesome. :*****************)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

don't really agree with the larsson one. he was okay. he did keep us 'ticking over', scored a couple of goals, nice bloke, but that was about it... not the decision of the season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spot on. I thought it was a bad decision, given that we got someone for 3 months when we needed someone for 5.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

2nd in both Chelsea and Man Utd threads.

LOVE YOU </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'd win ours if we had such a category.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

im proud of nick, a month ago he didnt even know there were two 7 oclocks in a day and now look at him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now he does know but refuses to acknowledge the first?

Archived