The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Choose Dual nationality </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The point is Dong can't be Dual Nationality. You can't hold two passports if you are Chinese. He would have to rennounce his Chinese Citzenship. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

for the time being. There'll come a time when China becomes a democracy and those rules will disappear. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Arsenal were a bit tight with "big" signings a couple seasons ago and maybe it's your turn. You have got a decent side remember. Plus Alan Smith will be back at some point, Heinze is back, forget Ole as he's pretty much finished icon_wink.gif it's in Europe where you may not have enough to take you that little further but it's certainly a squad that knows each other well. You cant do worse in Europe this season so i'm sure Fergie will point to that as an "improvement" and how he didnt need signings icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

note I refuse to use Giggs or OShea in the midfield selection because they should really be put back to their positions of winger and defensive backup asap </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and left out Ole because of his injuries? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dont know why really. Complete God that he is, I doubt he'll get us 25 goals this season

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

oh please god know, reports ferdinand has broken his toe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He was limping a bit near the end.

Anyway, if it's minor, he should be ok for the Spurs game, only missing the England match.

Otherwise Wes/Mickey or Wes/O'Shea is not something I want to see.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by olipepper:

permanent deals? OMG it was bad enough when it was loans. where the feck did west ham get that kinda money from? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They may not have paid a penny. Stay tuned.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

just read that, didnt he reportedly ask for a transfer the season before and so all couldnt have been that rosey? pointless bringing it up now anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you believe the Fergie propaganda then yes, Ruud did asked for transfer last season...

I personally don't believe it.

save the wall icon_mad.gif

i'm getting us all t-shirts printed for sunday. they don't do xxl though so mart you'll have to squeeze yourself into a smaller one icon_cool.gif

erm, if anyone is yet to do their man of the match votes, do so, will count 'em tomorrow. fwiw, i'm going to use them in various statistical ways, as shown below with the awards for August icon_cool.gif

Overall Player of the Month

Awarded to the player amassing the highest points total (2 per MOTM vote, 1 per 2nd place) over the month in question

Ryan Giggs

Most MOTM Votes

Fairly self-explanatory

.... Ryan Giggs

Game-By-Game Player of the Month

Top three players for each game (on total points) get given 5, 3 and 1 point(s) respectively, player with most points at end of month wins

Erm, yes, Ryan Giggs

I assume/hope it will get more interesting as the season progresses and with far more games per month.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

I've emailed the editor to ask can it be deleted. This is now my 2nd Sanctuary feck up </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What was the first?

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

Got sent a **** Megastore catalogue today, was flicking through it and found the retro shirts.

Despite the boycott i really want to get this icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doooooooo it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never liked that one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deanb291186:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a66/domfh89/14102006007.jpg

oh for ****s sake, utter twats that have done that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Someone on the FC forum said they saw some in Amsterdam saying Love United Hate Silvestre icon_biggrin.gif Me personally Im not arsed about the stickers, each to their own but why did they have to copy the format used by FFU, like stealing there hard work imo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye, we saw those in the Dam icon_biggrin.gif

Can't for the life of me understand this anti-FC sentiment, had a few tools behind us on the train back from Wigan on Saturday harping on about how FC were scum, bizarre :/

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ronaldo_1977:

Really don't understand what your obsession with O'Shea and Richardson is when we have equally crap players waiting to jump into other positiosn which i am more worried about.

We are nothing if Rooney and Ronaldo fall over. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who is equally as crap? Defence & attack are quite strong. It's midfield thats the problem.

Rooney & Saha - Solskjaer & Smith.

Neville, Rio, Vidic, Heinze - Brown, Evra, Silvestre

You see? If someone fro mthe first team gets injured there are competent backups.

Someone from midfield gets injured & we are down to O'Shea & Richardson far too quickly. This is ignoring the fact that O'Shea can 'play' in defence & that Richardson has been tried at left back.

stolen from red news

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> was at T/O today and 2 guys before me.

and i quote

" Can we have 2 tickets for 26th nove,ber please "

T/O - they are only on sale to members and ST holders

" how do i do that then"

T/O - you have to join the membership service

" okay, so if i join now can i have 2 tickets "

T/O- the ballot is done and we have no tickets on sale

" but we have travelled a long way and we need 2 tickets, can we have 2 tickets for the games after that then.

T/O- it doesnt work like that, you have to join the one united membership and then apply either online or over the phone for home tickets

" really, so you dont have any then here for sale "

* im banging my head here and getting ****ed off with these 2 *

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had a similar encounter last season.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

*smash* *shatter* *tinkle* goes mark's glasshouse. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I more work on the theory that he's the only one i can say that about, in the same way that Eddie's the only one i can call for being old. So i have to take those few opportunitites when i get them icon_biggrin.gif

Good result yesterday if the performance was far from awe inspiring.

First thing to get out the way is Ronaldo and his diving. He did dive for the penalty and he did dive when going past Boateng (who incidentally I thought had a really good game for Boro overall) and I don’t care who it is, its not acceptable, especially when it’s a player with the ability and the balance to get round players exquisitely like our young Portuguese star. I don’t subscribe to the culture argument put forward by Taz or the notion that he was physically incapable of staying on his feet because the position of his leading foot made him trip over the ball. If his trailing leg hadn’t been so purposefully outstretched he’d have been able to manoeuvre his body out of the way and keep the ball. That said it was done masterfully and when he initially went down I was clambering for a penalty as much as anyone else, but that doesn’t mean it should be condoned, Red or not.

On to the game: Saha’s penalty was lucky for me, he didn’t connect well and he’s lucky Schwartzer didn’t spring across his goal as well as Boruc did at Parkhead. Still that was 1-0. Gabby was at fault with regards to his positioning when the ball came in and that didn’t help him when it came to the execution of his header that went straight to Morrison. Luckily we were able to get right back in it, good non-wasteful work by Ronaldo (though I’m going to disagree with the assertions that have been made about his consistency of end product, however improved it may be, we’re not moving up on the scale from a very high point are we?), and a nice ball by Giggs for Fletch ghosting in Scholes-esq for the header to put us 2-1 up and secure the win.

As for the players overall: VDS did fine as per, but was left exposed for the goal, not his fault. Apart from the goal Gabby did fine but looks like he’s under pressure to support our attacking movements in a way that Evra is clearly more suited. GNev solid as always. Vidic had a quieter game with a couple of very minor slips/unnecessary fouls. Rio I thought was our best player yesterday, commanding and composed presence at the back and I don’t think he’s getting the praise he deserves amidst all the Vidic cult love.

Scholesy clearly our best midfielder for me, continually making us tick and second in the MOM stakes. Giggsy flitted in and out for me, a couple of longish spells where he didn’t do a whole lot, and although he combined well with Giggs to set up Fletch I think the same can be said of Ronaldo really. Fletch did what Fletch does, lots of energy, competitive & keeping it tidy, exactly what we needed yesterday in-case it became a war of attrition – and then he scores goals as well, and it was a great run in. What’s going on with that bazooka-like celebration though?

Rooney put a lot of effort in and Saha was largely anonymous for me. I don’t know how Sky gave Wayne MOM, because other than a couple of runs from deep he helped keep the ball but didn’t really do a whole lot else. Other than the goal Saha, with his much vaunted movement and pace, didn’t really show up. As much as I want this to be just down to tiredness and him probably carrying a strain or something, I can’t help but wonder if he’s let a little bit of complacency in since he’s now our primary #9. Anyway I hope I’m wrong.

MOM: Rio Ferdinand

2 N D: Paul Scholes

Now about something else that I think has become a feature too regularly in some of our games this season. While we do, on occasion produce performances that rip through teams and pelt them with chances, does nobody else find it disconcerting how many times we’ve totally controlled games by every indicator possible bar the amount of times we’ve tested the opposing keeper by making cut and dried chances? Like I said it doesn’t happen every game but it’s happened often enough for me to be slightly on edge that once our run of good luck with this ends, we’re going to suffer the indignity of dropping stupid points against less than impressive teams again. If we’d gone 5 minutes more without scoring last night I think we’d be sitting here 4 points clear of Chelsea rather than 6.

Marts Monthly Awards: November (> BOTU)

Player of the Month: Paul Scholes; MOM vs Celtic, second place for me vs. Pompey & Blackburn, generally very good in the other games he’s played in during November.

Worst Player of the Month: Kieron Richardson, rubbish against Southend in particular.

Most Improved Player of the Month: Michael Carrick

Goal of the Month: Saha vs. Chelsea – just a great finish.

Moment of the Month: The left back symposium against Everton.

Player of the Month - Paul Scholes, the architect of all things good.

Worst player of the month - Heinze, Richardson only really involved vs everton and soutend where as Gabby has been in for bigger and more games and really hasnt been great.

Most improved player of the month - Evra, when given the chance has been outstanding for me, if he he had been given a start in all games would be a contender for player of the month. Such a loveable little champ. Carrick honourable mention.

Goal of the month - Saha vs Chelsea, in terms of best goal Ronaldo vs Pompey or Wazza vs Sheff United were technically better but Saha vs Chelsea was a huge goal. Created smoothly and finished brilliantly.

Moment of the month - Rooney kissing his United badge at the Everton fans. Saw my mate.....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They already have them in a couple of blocks, they've been testing them out this season. I know someone who has one and he says every so often, it cocks up and he has to go to the ticket office and they re-scan it. It's normally the cup games that ****s up, as the ticket office have to add the match onto the card or something.

He missed the first 10 minutes of the Villa game waiting in the ticket office for them to re-scan the card, so it accepts it. icon13.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

that europe xi squad looks a bit good now icon_frown.gif

i'd have definitely gone if it were in may. useless c**ts. mon crippling mancini anyway </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

mancini to spend the whole game trying to injure ronaldo tbh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

carragher and/or gerrard more of a threat in that sense i fear. would anyone put it past stevie g la to put in one his infamous two-footed tackles on our Ronnie?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

In 98/99 we weren't losing to the likes of Celtic and looked remotely like scoring away from home, there's a massive difference between how we played then and how we play now for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We only beat Brondby in the Group Stages.

Yes we were scoring more goals back then, but we were hardly firing on all cylinders if you look back on it now.

Drew both games against both Bayern and against Barcelona.

It could be argued we were looking like going out prior to the Juventus game until we put in an absolutely monster performance to pull off what was regarded as a shock win.

The Final. We were outplayed for much of the game.

We still won it that year. So for people to just turn around and give reasons as to why we're playing poorly so therefore have zero chance of winning really need to realise that it's not purely going to come down to that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

just read that fowler has been added to the european squad for the friendly tonight link

ffs, what a joke. if anything, he should be placed in stocks in front of the stretford end. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

they have to be kidding :/

Zenden as well? WHAT

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

The Blackburn game has really become quite significant now, barring Chelsea that's the real tough game that we have left.

Which makes me even more pleased that we have Scholes back, wp replay icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still consider away at the MASSIVES to be a hard game because for the past 2 or 3 seasons we have done **** all over there except embarrassing us. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dunno why, I'm not massively (boom boom), concerned about that at this stage.

And ofc Bling it's not done, anyone who says it is must be deluded.

so much arguing.

bit harsh on Pickles but it's understandable if loyal season ticket holders don't get tickets and he does. but it happens for every away games there's always going to be tickets going in the "wrong" hands.

what's the capacity of the city away section, i'm thinking about 3,000? maybe a bit more? won't get a ticket for it even if the capacity is 10,000 though. icon_frown.gif

watford 18,000 tickets

united 17,500 tickets

wtf? icon_biggrin.gif

really hope I get a tickets for the semi through my membership numbers, going to the new wembley ftw (if we beat watford ofc).

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lpx88:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

Villa Park is the next best thing to a home tie </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yea i agree..

but which ground in England can offer 76000 fans roaring and cheering your team on? icon_biggrin.gif

and by the way, just curious.. Why do Real still have so much money in their pockets despite being trophy-less for the past few seasons? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've watch some documentary regarding this some time back, it's basically that the Prince himself is a supporter of Real, and knowing people in higher places gets you a lot of advantage such as getting properties on the cheap and selling them for ridiculous sum of money, and banks willing to loan out high sum of money with almost infinite repayment period.

• 2 weeks later...

Would love to see us win at the Bridge, probably won't happen though.

That would bring back similar memories from the end of 2001-02 season , except a lot more happier from our point of view.

Anyone starting the "we want our trophy back" chant yet? Or will it come out at Eastlands next week?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Giggs does really need to go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why? Because he had a really bad performance tonight?

We could ship most of the side out after that performance. To single out just one player as being the reason for our defeat and to want to get rid of them as a result is just totally and utterly wrong.

yeah, i was gonna comment on this. it'll sound bitter and i'm really not (still giddy as f**k frankly), but it irks me a tad the way not just the BBC but almost all the media outlets seem to be either banging on about Chelsea's brave effort and how incredible it was that they pushed us so far with such a crippling injury list, or going on as if Chelsea lost the title, rather than us winning it. bar one weekend in October, Chelsea have never had first place to lose, it's been us leading the way, us keeping them at bay, even through some pretty horrendous injury problems of our own at THE crucial time of the season. i'll generously assume this is at least partly because of the way the title was confirmed without us playing and, credit where it's due, Chelsea refused to give up right to the last yesterday, but it'd be nice to see that redressed over the next few days. we've been the best side in the country, the best side to watch and we're entirely deserving champions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived