The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daaaaave:

I said it in the euros and I'll say it again now. lampard and gerrard will always be **** together in the middle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, they dont fit so well but that is by the by, you would expect one of them to put a penalty in icon_frown.gif

Wonder when Ronaldo will get injured in training ? Rooney going over the top of the ball or something ? icon_razz.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Real Madrid could enter the chase for Manchester United striker Ruud van Nistelrooy.

Van Nistelrooy's future at Old Trafford looks uncertain after a reported bust-up with Sir Alex Ferguson last term.

A number of clubs are monitoring his situation at United closely and are ready to pounce, if The Red Devils decide to offload him.

Bayern Munich have confirmed their interest in the Dutchman and Real's new president Ramon Calderon revealed Fabio Capello is a big admirer of the free scoring forward.

"It seems as though Fabio likes van Nistelrooy," Calderon told the club's official website.

"He could complement Ronaldo in playing together."

Calderon also confirmed that Roberto Carlos is seeking to leave El Santiago Bernabeu.

The Brazilian full back's future has been in debate for some time after talks over a new deal stalled.

Roberto Carlos has claimed Chelsea are keen on securing his services and Calderon has admitted they will bring a replacement for the defender, if he moves on.

"Roberto Carlos has the idea of leaving and he has already informed the sporting director (Predrag Mijatovic)," added Calderon.

"If Roberto leaves, Fabio Capello has asked me for a replacement." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i thought that had all blown over after ronaldo said he wanted to leave?

are we now selling both ronaldo and rvn this season and buying replacements?

im so confused icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

hold up, ssn says that ruud and his agent have reportedly already agreed terms with real madrid and all that is left is for the clubs to agree a fee. isnt that effectively tapping up? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We don't have to have agreed a fee to have given madrid permission to speak to him. It's only tapping up if we refuse them permission outright.

Clubs often allow the talks with the player to go ahead before the fee has been agreed. It saves time in the long run.

pinched from Red News, interesting news about the reserves...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> [29] Letter to Red News

Monday, July 17, 2006

For those who care...

....about the Reserve team - something I care about very, very deeply.

We have gone from 28 games last year (League) to 18 this season. I bet Glazer/Gill/Othertwats are thrilled to bloody bits. Less (free for us) games at Hyde for them to pay for.

In the season before (2004/4) we had 50 Reserve teams games.

Those complete **** who now have total control (ie they no longer have to face us at an AGM) can do what they want. What they really want is to get rid of the Reserves totally. Let's face it the Reserves are only for 'sad b*stards' like me and don't offer them any lets-sell-some-fred-the-bloody-red-duvet-covers' opportunities.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

Evertonians popping in to gloat, I remember when this happened before icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Calm before the storm icon_wink.gif

Anything i can do to help?

You are such a wuss, Keith drove from Carlisle to London, Carlisle to Manchester.

but yeah, ask him.

So far we've got

me

Keith

Nick

Jules

James M

Rcjuk

Razor Eddie

James M

Jonny

awesome stuff icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shonte:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shonte:

Have you guys seen this quote from AF today?

"If I was to start the season with the players I have now, all fully fit, I would not be disappointed." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What do you expect him to say?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> When asked about his failure to sign a single player so far this summer, Sir Alex Ferguson today responded with a very negative assessment of his current squad. "Obviously, the players we have at the club at the moment aren't up to the job." he replied. He continued "Quite frankly, if we don't get anyone in before the deadline, we'll be lucky to make the UEFA cup this year" </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't gaf what he says, just thought I would provide the quote.

He also said he was very pleased with RVN's attitude in training this week. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah right, sorry. I thought you were going to lead the charge of the "the whiskey addled senile old jock ****'s finally lost it this time" comments icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif no not at all. Even as a Liverpool fan I have never been a Fergie basher. I have friends who have been Utd season ticket holders for 30 years. They are constantly going on about the idiotic youth Utd fans who can't remember what it was like to go OT before Fergie took over.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

a fletcher/carrick combo would be as soft as **** </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fletcher's a better tackler than Scholes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm a better tackler than Scholes

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

god the news of smudgers return has genuinely made my day. its not been a very exciting day.

COME ONE ALAN </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shostfrock:

How does it feel to know your club won't win another premiership for atleast 10 more years? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How does it feel to know that the only reason you exist is because your family were robbing criminal s**m who had to be deported to the land down undah?

*apologies in advance to our esteemed aussie mancs*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

ill be gutted if arsenal sign mascherano, but i dont mind if they sign tevez, he would be qg to watch in the prem.

has tevez got attitude problems really? or this just a one off situation? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You guys are so paranoid about arsenalicon_biggrin.gif

we are not signing any of them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

haha really?

my f'ckin assistant is better than me? /o\/o\

but yeah sorry to be a bit crap with being online... I dont mind how my team does while I'm away though so it doesnt really affect things too much? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't worry about it, was because both you and Phil weren't on really and Dom didn't want to do the FA Cup with just 3 out of 5 online.

Your assistant ftw though icon_frown.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Interesting James, I would have 2 tickets, the fella I'm swapping with wants 2 Villa at home and Keith isn't going anyway so that's that sorted, now need to get a Villa home myself icon_biggrin.gif

As for the 2nd ticket, I haven't promised it anyone yet and seeing as you're giving me a West 'Ammmm ticket, it's yours, if you can't make it then it's Nicks.

might just make you fight to the death at the wall for it actually icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Anyway tomorrows game:

First of many games againt Villa in coming weeks, and first of 5 games in a fortnight. With that in mind could see a few changes for tomorrow. Maybe Fletcher in the side for Giggs or Ronaldo, with Rooney on one of the flanks. With more changes on Tuesday I expect.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Why would we sell Rossi? Thats akin to us selling a 19 year old Paul Scholes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly icon_biggrin.gif

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

Anyone going Spurs want to meet up for a drink?

Don't have a brief but am going to try get one on the day/jib in </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will if I turn up with time to spare, made such fb time for West Ham and then turned up with 20 mins to KO icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>icon14.gif will buy you a pint around the ground if your about then

Chin up lads icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Stuart Mathieson in the MEN

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

'SIR Alex Ferguson and his side may not be the only Old Trafford winners from the possible meltdown at Chelsea - the Glazers may also earn some brownie points into the bargain.

When Russian oil billionaire Roman Abramovich wiped out Chelsea's £80m debt in June 2003 and let managers Claudio Ranieri and then Jose Mourinho dip into the contents of his vast wallet almost everybody in football wanted a sugar daddy.

The richest man in Russia, and the 11th richest in the world, with an estimated fortune of around £40bn and prepared to bankroll the building of a successful side, seemed ideal.

Smashing any football transfer record was going to be a drop in the ocean for someone awash with that kind of dosh.

Someone with loads of cash who just turns up on match day, smiles embarrassingly in the directors box, watches the game, says `yes' to any player the manager fancies and then goes home. How good is that?

Never mind the damage to the competitive nature of English football and harm to the transfer market, Chelsea fans were in raptures.

When you haven't won the League title since 1955 and it's virtually bought for you it was a case of `don't look a gift horse in the mouth' down on the King's Road.

Around the country there were thousands of green-eyed fans moaning about Chelsea but secretly wishing Abramovich had chosen their club as his plaything.

A proportion of United's support saw past the rolling pound signs in people's eyes and were glad that Abramovich didn't turn his attention to Old Trafford. He wouldn't have been welcome even if he'd brought Ronaldinho with him.

Even less welcome was an American who plunged the club into immediate debt.

Malcolm Glazer and his family's relationship with the fans has been decidedly hostile in some quarters and, at best, an uncomfortable one. They split the Reds support.

Some left for FC United and some stayed but remain anti-Glazer.

Those who vigorously opposed the Florida millionaire buying United were not hate-fuelled because they believed the recluse would suddenly be nipping over the Atlantic and barging in on Sir Alex Ferguson's team talks. Their concerns were deeper than that.

Nevertheless, there were fears from the `wait and see' brigade who were prepared to reluctantly take a step back and monitor the Glazer influence at the club.

Some of their worries centred on the possibility of Malcolm Glazer or his more active sons Joel, Bryan or Avram meddling with on-field affairs when they got their feet under the table. They imagined a video conference link from Tampa Bay to Old Trafford every week where the Yanks demanded that Gabriel Heinze should play instead or Patrice Evra, or Wayne Rooney should be dropped because he hadn't scored.

Or perhaps chief executive David Gill's phone would be ringing and a Glazer would say `go and buy so and so from Barcelona or Milan and tell Fergie that Paul Scholes should make way for him!

`Oh and by the way tell Mr Ferguson that we are sending over a couple of coaches to help him out and if he doesn't like it then he can start using his bus pass because we'll get somebody in who will agree to our ideas.'

But there has been little sign of the family in any of the corridors at Old Trafford, let alone those leading to the dressing room on a match day.

The reclusive family have largely remained just that on the football front although increased ticket prices and staff redundancies are another story.

The concerns harboured about the Glazers are coming home to roost at Stamford Bridge.

Abramovich has gradually been appointing his own men on the backroom staff. Allegedly it was he who wanted misfit Andriy Shevchenko and not Mourinho.

The spectre of Guus Hiddink, who Abramovich helped get the Russian international job, is now hanging over the Special One who has brought two Premiership titles to a previously non-achieving outfit.

The sugar daddy is starting to leave a bitter taste at the Bridge.

The Glazers' PR machine couldn't have done a better job of improving their acceptability rating.' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

some sensational journalism there. as someone on RI put it...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So, because Chelsea might conceivably get ****ed in a somewhat different way to that in which United are unarguably getting ****ed, that reflects well on the ****er who's ****ing us?

Get ****ed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DamonWattsok:

I'd assume if the rules came into play, we wouldn't give Foster away on loan, so i'd put him in goal icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yep, you're allowed any player that we own icon14.gif

I think I would use Foster too... but gonna have to think about it a bit more!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Mark is doing a 4 day trip (Mon-Thurs). Mum and Dad are already booked up. I'm very tempted, though Munich is the semis would be a better (and safer) trip.

I couldn't do all 3 aways. But, I don't want to do what I've done on 3 of the last 4 years and pass on a knock-out game expecting the next trip to be a better one icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

4 days ffs?? nigh on impossible to get that much time off. plus i'll probably get stabbed.

gah gah gah. **** off uefa

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> United target Huntelaar to keep the momentum going

Sir Alex Ferguson may have his hands full as Manchester United step up their pursuit of an unprecedented second treble, but the manager is already planning enthusiastically for next season.

Ajax are bracing themselves for a bid from United for Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, their prolific young striker, who Ferguson is understood to have identified as one of his main summer targets along with Owen Hargreaves, the Bayern Munich and England midfield player, and Nani, the Sporting Lisbon winger.

Huntelaar has established himself as the new golden boy of Dutch football since failing to make the grade at PSV Eindhoven and has already drawn favourable comparisons to Ruud van Nistelrooy, the former United striker.

While Ajax are loath to lose Huntelaar, the clamour for the 23-year-old forward’s signature is such that John Jaakke, the club’s chairman, is thought to be confident of being able to name his price for the player, who would cost at least double the £6.8 million Ajax paid SC Heerenveen for his services just over a year ago, and possibly much more.

Ferguson is believed to retain a serious interest in Fernando Torres, the highly rated Atlético Madrid and Spain forward, although he would come at a far higher premium than Huntelaar.

Torres recently signed a new deal with Atlético that ties him to the club until 2009, but while the escape clause in the 23-year-old’s contract was reduced from £41.4 million to about £27 million as part of the agreement, that price may still prove too prohibitive for United, who are expected to spend about half of their estimated £40 million transfer budget on Hargreaves.

Huntelaar cost Heerenveen just £70,000 when he joined the club in 2004 after turning down the offer of a new contract with PSV, where he struggled to make much of an impact.

In his first season at Heerenveen, Huntelaar scored 20 goals in 38 appearances and followed that up with 21 goals in as many games during the first half of the 2005-06 campaign before Ajax came calling. He finished the season with a staggering 45 goals in 46 matches and has looked equally impressive this term, scoring 28 times in all competitions.

Despite being in Marco van Basten’s preliminary Holland squad for last year’s World Cup finals, Huntelaar did not travel to Germany but he has impressed for the national team since, scoring twice in the 4-1 win over Ireland last August.

Ferguson has already sent scouts to watch Huntelaar, most recently in Ajax’s 4-1 win over FC Twente just under three weeks ago, when the striker scored a hat-trick.

The United manager has been encouraged by the apparent ability of Dutch players to adapt quickly to the demands of the Barclays Premiership, a quality that may make Huntelaar seem like less of a gamble than Torres, whose style is more suited to the Continent.

Of more immediate concern to United, however, is the Premiership game at home to Blackburn Rovers tomorrow, when victory would open up a nine-point gap at the top, if only for a couple of hours with Chelsea not playing until later in the day against Watford.

While United are still in contention to win the FA Cup and Champions League, Park Ji Sung, the midfield player, wants to help to ensure that the Premiership title returns to Old Trafford after a four-year absence.

“It is possible for us to get the results to succeed in all competitions,†the South Korean said. “But my No 1 target is the Premier League.â€

Park did the double of league and cup with PSV in the Netherlands and he believes the experience will hold him in good stead as United’s season enters its critical phase. “I have had a similar experience in the Netherlands,†he said.

“Even if we have bad results, we have to bounce back quickly and concentrate on the next game.â€

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

well done mark, he's bound to score a hattrick now

inzaghi's sh*t but you can never say so out loud icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's all right. Whatever happens now, i've got the excuse of mart starting the match thread to blame if it all goes pear shaped.

yeh i was so surprised with kakas turn of pace, absolutely rapid.

Anyone worried about Fletchers future if we sign hargs, hargs seems to be really the same all energy performances as fletcher has been given us at a high level recently. really wouldnt want to waste £20mill on hargs as we have our own little terrier in dazzle.

MoM: Heinze

Runner-up: O'Shea

1st AFFG: Won't blame anyone.

2nd AFFG: Brown. Yes it was a good strike but still he should have closed him down.

Atm (well the last two games) the only defenders not to embarrass themselves were Heinze and O'Shea.

Heinze this game seemed to me like he started acting as the leader of the defence and more or less sorting it out which is a good thing because 4 games ago Heinze in the middle (and not acting as a leader and Brown IS NOT a leader) was absolute chaos.

United in '99 tbh. As tight a title race as you could get, that FA cup final and one of teh hardest CL runs i've seen. You only feel tired when you're in poor form or losing. And sometimes the opposition are just better.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived