The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reds Play Down Ronaldo Rumours

United have played down reports linking Cristiano Ronaldo with a move to Real Madrid.

Spanish newspaper Marca carried quotes from the United winger claiming a deal would be done to take the 21-year-old to the Santiago Bernabeu if candidate Juan Miguel Villar Mir is voted in at the club's presidential election.

But United insist: "He is our player and has signed a long-term contract until 2010. We will not be drawn further on this matter.â€

Ronaldo is currently on World Cup duty where is hopeful of recovering from a thigh injury to take on United team-mates Wayne Rooney, Rio Ferdinand and Gary Neville as Portugal take on England in the quarter finals on Saturday.

Report by Ben Hibbs

from Manutd.com </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Manchester puts on a United front to sue Real candidate

27/6 2006

Manchester United in shock! Their young star Cristiano Ronaldo, a target for Real Madrid president candidate Juan Miguel Villar Mir, have been quoted in Marca saying he's tempted to join Real Madrid if Mr Villar mir wins the election on June the second.

We have learned that Manchester Uniteds lawyers are in full speed of building up a case aginst Mr Villar Mir for tapping up a player under contract. With long running story of John Obi Mikel, United will not tolarete, nor even begin talks with Real Madrid. They feel that Madrid based club have betrayed footballing etnics and won't put up with being held hostage. Mr Villar have tapped up the player, atleast if you are to believe Ronaldo.

"I have gone with Villar Mir's project because it is serious and follows correct procedures. They have explained to me their plans and the next step is they will talk to Manchester United to open negotiations"

Uniteds lawyers were out on a alert last night after Marca had asked United to comment this story. It's understood that David Gill had a 20 minute long phone conversation with Manchester owners, family Glazer back in Florida. Joel Glazer, son to Malcolm Glazer did give chairman Gill a full go-ahead to build up a case for this saga. More to follow... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

Torres would get you 20 a season. He wouldn't be likely to get you 40 á la RvN, but then not many would.

And Sheringham was hardly a 'fox in the box'. RvN replaced Andy Cole in that respect. Torres is much more of a centre forward than Rooney, and Defoe is even more so.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Yeah the big sticking point is that Javier Aguirre wants seven cakes but we're only prepared to give him 4 and a scone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't try and cover it up now, i know what that code meant icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

christ icon_biggrin.gif

they're free because it's a load of fat blokes against another load of fat blokes who are all dreaming of the beer and bacon sarnies in the pub afterwards. FC might not exactly be league standard but there's a decent level of football there, and from what I gather it is a great 'craic', regardless of how cringeworthy you irrelevantly deem the word. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Compared to the no marks who could never make it at a professional level dreaming of what used to be...How many anti-Glazer songs are there?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

I'm not holding my breath. The pint you were getting me for the bank charges thread was conspicuous by it's absence at the 5-a-side meetup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mart so tight icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't getting you a pint, I said a ticket for a game and I stand by that icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

I agree with that Mika, if I were to put myself in Ruud's place I'd probably want to bugger off as well.

Your MSN pic's immense, it reminds me of the massive one on one of the old roundups. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's the screenie I took of that one icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

if it came down to a choice between losing to those cnuts and having my nuts chopped off with a blunt rusty butter knife i'd seriously have to think long and hard about it.

i've already got two kids after all. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I pity them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

heh, apparantly theres a group of reds and some non reds that are pished off at the Argentina chant and will give you a smack if you chant it

http://64.34.164.206/ri_forum/showthread.php?t=163328&page=1&pp=15 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> NF group say Argentina chanters are an embarassment to Utd and if they served in the Falkands they wouldn't be chanting it.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

How many of those buggers were actually out there fighting, I wonder ?

• 2 weeks later...

Gregg, the banter I have with you isn't banter, I actually hate you, you welsh twat icon_smile.gif

Was thinking about the spares for various members on RI, seeing as theres now a gazillion ST holders it won't be as easy as first thought getting tickets.

I hate to say I told you so Jonny icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

I posted it icon_smile.gif

But nobody cared. Except Mika </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's the point? We'll have sold him by midnight.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Van Lampard:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We have been playing worse game by game ever since the Fulham game.

5-1

3-0

2-1

1-0

0-1

what's next? Losing 1-2, 0-3 and 1-5? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ive never looked that way before i see what you mean mate but if we lose to reading then i will be worryed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess you are at least half worried now?

I am so over this, i am not even bothered if we lose to or draw against relegation threatened teams, i only laugh at the humiliating situation that we simply find ourself in and amusing myself with Fergie's "my squad is good enough" propaganda.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Mr Gill,

It was with some interest, and no little disbelief, that I read of the plans for conciliatory gestures and events at this weekend's match against Liverpool. I had been told of the plans earlier in the day but dismissed them as a none-too-convincing wind-up, so it was with considerable astonishment that I discovered all this wasn't merely a figment of a friend's imagination.

My first thought was to equate all this to offering privileges and holidays to young offenders - let's be honest here, whilst United fans aren't entirely an innocent party here, it wasn't us who threw human excrement over the other set of supporters last season; it wasn't us who deemed attacking the ambulance carrying a seriously injured opposition player to hospital an acceptable action to take; nor was it United fans who, in the event of a cup semifinal being held at the 'neutral' venue of Old Trafford, took the opportunity to vandalise and deface our stadium. Whilst accepting that banners/chants about the Hillsborough disaster are out of order, the Liverpool supporters give every bit as good as they get with constant references to Munich, before we even get into their more despicable actions.

With that in mind, how is that their fans will be 'rewarded' for their efforts by having their section of OUR ground adorned with images of their history and success? How is it that they will be allowed to display banners and flags (whether vetted or not) when United fans wanting to do so are, at best, forced to go through a lengthy procedure of consultation with the club in order to do so, and - more typically - fobbed off or forced to remove them? Doubtless our visitors will also stand all game with no recrimination, a luxury I'm sure us home fans will not be afforded.

I completely understand the need to ensure that the rivalry between the two sets of fans does not lead to disorder and violence in and around Old Trafford this weekend, especially with emotions likely to be more highly-charged than at any time in recent memory, in wake of the events of last season. I don't, however, see how the actions described above have been deemed as an appropriate way to achieve that goal - as I'm sure your inbox will tell you today, the vast majority of United fans are horrified by what has been proposed, and this without question is only going to lead to greater resentment and vitriol towards Liverpool supporters. Those Liverpool supporters in turn are likely to be even more cocky, even more full of bravado, as they turn up in enemy territory to see the proverbial welcome mat being well and truly laid out for them, effectively vindicating their actions last season. Hell, why not go the whole hog and lay on a free bar for them? This may obviously be over-simplifying, but surely the radical step of increasing the police/steward presence in and around the away section would have sufficed?

I've been a supporter of this club and a part of various fans groups/movements long enough to know that these events will no doubt go ahead as planned regardless of the dissent from United fans. We have long since given up on the notion that the club listens to our views and opinions on any kind of matter, let alone one so sensitive. As a United fan yourself, you'll no doubt be aware of the intense rivalry between us and Liverpool, and while a line obviously has to be drawn somewhere, the actions the club has taken re: this weekend is completely out of step with that rivalry and a further nail in the coffin of football as we know it, as it hurtles on relentlessly towards the sanitised 'product' certain authorities seem determined to serve up. If I can make one plea, it is to at least scrap both the proposed presentation to Sir Bobby Charlton by supposed Liverpool 'legends' - you're deluding yourself if you think this will be greeted by anything other than a cacophony of boos from both sides and I'm sure this is something you will want to protect Sir Bobby from - and the disabled match at half-time - again an event that could see, to analogise (perhaps inappropriately), innocent victims caught in the day's crossfire.

I couldn't help but notice an article in the wake of these plans being revealed that somehow contrived to portray United fans (guilty of allegedly hanging Hillsborough banners on bridges over the M62 in advance of the Cup semifinal) as 'thugs' whilst almost laughing off the throwing of faeces and the destruction at Old Trafford as merely the actions of lovable scouse supporters. The actions of MUFC only serve to pander to this viewpoint, as once again the club shafts its fans in favour of seeking some corporate or PR coup. I only hope those involved in the decision-making process ahead of this weekend's match don't come to regret some of the decisions they made.

Yours sincerely,

Nick Morgan </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah icon_mad.gif 'ave it icon_mad.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

Any one going to the Willows to watch Salford v FC tomorrow?

12pm and it's Pay on the Gate should be cracker </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tempting. Still feel rubbish, but if I feel better in the morning I might hop on the M10 and go watch.

Pires so utterly obsessed with us icon_cool.gif

• 1 month later...

look, pj, i'll spell things out and then give you a chance to admit you were wrong and bow out gracefully:

- whether the article is referring to two documents or not, i don't care. simple fact - it says near the end “£25 million of annual net player spend is sufficient to support forecast growth over the next five yearsâ€. i couldn't care less if it was true, i was simply responding to someone who was assuming it was and basing their argument on it. you attempted to pick holes in that as you seem to do whenever matters concerning the glazers are discussed these days, and made yourself look a bit silly.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

seeing this again, was Barthez actually an Arsenal player in disguise. .. he f**ked up against them several times :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

twat ****ed my plasma telly up, well my dads. When he gifted Henry twice, I spat at the telly and it broke icon_biggrin.gif, well had a dodgy picture </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha icon_biggrin.gif

I remember listening to it on FiveLive and it basically going like:

"Well Fabien Barthez has been absolutely incredible today, Manchester United's clear man of the m....OH GOD HE'S GIVEN IT STRAIGHT TO HENRY, IT'S A SHOCKING ERROR"

And being very annoyed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Watching Fergies pre match press confeence and its nice to see him come out and say Ronaldo isnt going anywhere.

Basically he says Madrid do it with a lot of clubs, it happened with Becks but the bottom line is Man Utd only sell the players they want to sell and Ronaldo is going nowhere. Hes happy here, in great form and no way in hell would we ever sell him. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awesome, so not only does he tell them to eff off, but he also gets a dig in at the flash harry from London.

icon14.gif wp Fergie.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

shotgun his seat. not the driver's seat ofc

although sadly i think we've all been misled by a typo. what keith really means is he's going to eat two marathons in two days (someone ought to tell him they're called snickers now really). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

listen jobles get a fecking job so you can pay me back else the 3rd away will go to jonny icon_razz.gif

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

erm, are semi tickets on sale today or not? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

for villa park??

• 1 month later...

just reading the chelsea programme.

hightlights so far.

Jose blaming the FA for scheduling the original game for FA Cup semi-final weekend when the gap would have been three points.

John Terry saying 'with our injuries and other problems we've done really well' followed up with 'no excuses'.

Nothing from Kenyon icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

so, in hindsight, did the best thing that possibly could have happened happen?

or does part of you, however small, wish it was us there last night against the scousers?

i think i prob prefer how it turned out but you never know, maybe we could have taken them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We could've taken them but there is always the possibility of them winning which just isn't worth the hassle.

I don't think I could've coped if it was us v them last night. I was nervous as it was.

Didn't Fergie and his brother fly out to see him play or was that someone else?

Yeah, ITKs on the Spurs forums called it a couple of days before the press. Apparently had a meeting today to discuss how much they were willing to spend, etc and supposed to be meeting with Sporting officials sometime this week. Levy is determined to get him apparently.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived