The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EmmYouEffSee:

Well...i've got mine icon_biggrin.gif

Dispite getting one of those £7 Portugal shirts before, i've invested in this today...beltin'.

Ronaldo ifb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Price dive?

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone in here a fan of Aaron Lennon? If Ronaldo goes i'd like to see us try and land him he's a lot more direct than Ronaldo but effectively does the same job.

I think 3 ideal signings for us if Ronaldo and Ruud go would be Gattuso(pending the outcome of the Italy scandal) Lennon and Torres as i believe we have been linked with him.

i just dont get it, if you can't buy new players why get rid of Rudd one of the best strikers in the world!

for that matter why was fortune let go? he could of done agood job in midfield providing he keeps himself fit that is.

it seems to me that all the glazers seem to do is cut cut cut, i think by now they have come to realize their investment wasn't as smart as they thought.

look at the bright side, in 3-4 years the glazers will sell, anew owner will come and hopefully get the club debt free invest some money into the club and get the backing of the fans and start anew era at the club .

dreams maybe icon_frown.gif

MEN on all our worries

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

'MANCHESTER United fans are starting to get that twitchy feeling, as the fuse leading to the start of the Premiership campaign sizzles like the summer heat.

Chief executive David Gill said that the club would wrap up its close-season transfer business before the World Cup had even started.

Here we are, over six weeks later and that gaping hole in midfield looks darker and wider than ever.

Not only that, but the fall-out with Ruud van Nistelrooy has ripped another big gash in the fabric of Fergie's squad, and one that looks like it will not get filled. The words emanating out of Old Trafford are becoming of increasing concern to the support. Fergie says replacing Ruud is not a priority, and that his limited transfer budget will be spent on a midfielder or two - if they can get the right men at the right price. But replacing Ruud, whose days at Old Trafford are clearly numbered, IS a priority.

Fergie's pronouncements about having Ole Gunnar Solskjaer back in contention, and that the return of Paul Scholes is like having a new signing, look feeble to say the least.

Van Nistelrooy's departure will turn the strike-force into a blunt instrument, and one that is riddled with uncertainties.

Wayne Rooney remains the gem around whom a team can be built, but he has not yet developed into a proven goalscorer, and his temperament was again called into question during the World Cup finals. Louis Saha looked terrific at times last season but you sense he is always just one challenge away from another injury lay-off.

The return of Solskjaer has warmed the cockles of every Red's heart. But whether he will ever again reach the required heights remains to be seen.

Then there is Giuseppe Rossi, a smashing little talent. But this is a season too soon, and the fact that both he and the club have talked about farming him out on a season's loan proves that he is still a year away from being ready for the fray.

United have been trying to bring in new faces, and are now involved in several games of brinksmanship as they seek to sign Michael Carrick, Mahamadou Diarra and Tomasz Kuszczak.

"We will not be stupid. I am adamant about that," says Fergie. The problem is that United have earned themselves something of a reputation for being `stupid' in the transfer market.

Thirty million for Rio Ferdinand, and £24m for flop Seba Veron were followed by another £30m for Wayne Rooney. The last deal could still turn out to be a bargain, but the truth is that United were panicked into it by some sharp manoeuvring by Everton, stalking horses Newcastle and an agent or two.

Now when United are in the market, clubs believe they can bump the fee up and hope that their nerve goes first. And the nerves of the supporters are already starting to twang. If United fail to buy, they start to look a little like the Liverpool side of 15 years ago, a force in decline, while the powers within the club sit on their hands and hope for the best.

The showpiece pre-season game to mark the new, expanded Old Trafford is almost a metaphor. After talk of Barcelona and Real Madrid, the game will be against ... Sevilla, the Blackburn of the Spanish league.

The simple truth is that United can no longer afford to splash cash around, with the Glazers about to dump another £250m of debt onto the club, bringing estimated interest payments of around £42m a year.

With finances on a knife-edge, the gambles played out over the next few weeks could have dire ramifications for the club.

Twist, and come up with more money for players, and the coffers could be empty by the time the banks and hedge funds want their cash. Stick and the risk is stagnation, a poor league season, and no qualification for the 2007-08 Champions League.

--------------

blimey, that's harsh for the MEN isn't it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Palahnuik:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Good luck Ruud icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gutted.

:*(

*Adopts Real as Spanish team* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

why not? dodgy teams that buy their success seems right in line with the typical man utd supporter groupthink

and you misspelt palahniuk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

You rate O'Shea ffs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif I don't really you know. I probably rate him more highly than most on here, but I'm still very aware of his deficiencies and see him as a useful squad player at best.

I'm just overstating on here. It's the same thing with you and Silvestre, right? Isn't it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty much icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Juventus insist they will keep World Cup stars David Trezeguet and Mauro Camoranesi despite links with Manchester United and Internazionale.

Reports emanating out of Italy suggest Trezeguet's father, who acts as his agent, flew to England to meet with Old Trafford officials at the weekend.

But having already lost world class talent in Fabio Cannavaro, Gianluca Zambrotta, Emerson, Patrick Vieira, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Lilian Thuram as a result of the Italian match-fixing scandal, club president Giovanni Cobolli Gigli refuses to let any more players leave his squad.

"I don't know what they have in mind for Camoranesi and Trezeguet, but we won't give up. They will remain at Juve," Gigli stated.

Despite those assurances the Italian's agent Sergio Fortunato insists his charge would like a move to Italian rivals Internazionale now that negotiations with Lyon have broken down.

"Inter is a great team and it's what Mauro would like for his career from now on," Fortunato explained.

"He is looking for strong motivation and wants to play in a team that fights for the likes of the Champions League or the Scudetto.

"Inter has built a very strong team and Mauro has been seduced by the idea of playing there."

Meanwhile, Bianconeri have missed out on their only chance of playing in Europe this season after being knocked out of the Coppa Italia by their new Serie B rivals Napoli.

World Cup winner Alessandro Del Piero scored twice in the game and converted his spot-kick, but could do nothing to prevent Juve going out 8-7 on penalties in a thrilling away tie.

Coach Didier Deschamps was obviously frustrated by the result, which saw Napoli progress to the last 16 of the competition, but had no complaints.

"It was a good match to watch and play. I can't reproach my guys for anything, they had the right spirit, but unfortunately there are situations where you're just unlucky," the Frenchman reflected.

"Del Piero isn't 100 percent for fitness, but he's still a cut above. But the season doesn't end here.

"The league is the most important thing for me, but we are disappointed because this competition was an opportunity to earn a European place."

Juve have refused to give up on their appeals against their penalties incurred as a result of the Italian match-fixing scandal.

While Lazio have refused to take their 11-point penalty up in the civil courts, the Stadio Delle Alpi side look set to take the matter out of the sporting courts unless the Italian Olympic Committee of Arbitration (CONI) will hear their case.

The Italian giants are determined to overturn their relegation to Serie B and that looks set to be the major sticking point, which will determine their next course of action. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

Coming to FC on saturday Mart? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Possibly aye mate, will let you know icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You can give my book back then

Noly Kiddin icon_wink.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You lads with short memories.

I remember when we first signed Smith and how many times were we in desperate need of a goal and Smith just seemed to come out of nowhere with it? Like at Blackburn deep into stoppage time or against Boro. Stunning goals against Norwich and Arsenal and a great individual goal against Fulham.

Yeah i know people covered Smith earlier but love him or hate him when we first signed him and had him up front he was great in those first few months.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Nortwhich ground is terrible as well

Went there with FC last year it's the most souless place i have ever been </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was that the same ground though? The game tonight is to mark the official opening of the new Victoria Stadium, and from reading various Vics sites, they're describing it as one of the best stadiums outside the league. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeh it was the new one

Might not have been finished

But it's just a big shed one one side not much behind the goals then a new stand on the other side </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

don't think i'm going anyway. would have to wait nearly two hours after the game for a train back, and £12 for effectively a reserve game isn't really justifiable at this time of year, especially for the unemployed icon_frown.gif

singing 'get to work you lazy twats' last night felt decidedly uncomfortable :/

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

VDS has broken his nose, how long does that take to heal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not long. Not really much they can do with a broken nose. Unless it's shattered in which case it will be a couple of weeks.

Could probably wear some kind of shield on it if necessary. Won't be out too long though I imagine.

• 2 weeks later...

Saha was poor but I'm not gonna jump on him too much.. he's still an extremely useful player and I reckon he can get back into his stride with some more match-time in the next couple of weeks.

The rest of the side.. Park and Fletcher played pretty well I thought. Heinze looking less and less sturdy in comparison to Evra. Wes did well enough, but is just not a right back. Carrick disappointed me. Ronaldo was hit and miss, but regardless always seems the biggest threat. Ole just not at the races (icon_frown.gif). Larsson showed quality again. Scholes not enough time to get into the game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

can anybody explain to me why we're continuing to play Larsson?

He's been fracking woeful for us more often than not. Goes missing for large chunks of the game and looks off the pace whenever he is involved. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

agreed.

but there was no risk in signing him. none at all. :bigfatsafetywinkformika:

the one real positive to come from today (besides the totally undeserved three points ofc \o/ ) is that saha looked pretty lively again when he came on. he didn't have that disinterested look about him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

"The support we have received in our last two games at Fulham and Reading has been absolutely unbelievable," said Ferguson.

"There were only 4,000 of them at Reading on Tuesday night, but the volume was incredible.

"They never stopped singing and were great for us.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

james, im probably not going to rome i dont think, gonna find it very hard to get 4 days off and the cost is quite a lot.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How much would you be looking at cost wise out of interest?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nani as a Giggs replacement / extra wide option with (a sensibly) priced Hargreaves probably enough to keep me happy.

Striker situation is strange. We need 3 (maybe 4) who are good / fit enough for 1st team duty. We’re OK on numbers, but quality isn’t exactly to the fore. So if you assume that Ole is too old, Smith not quite good enough for anything other than cover and Saha too injured then even with Rossi back next year you’re probably looking at moving at least one on to make room for someone that can be relied upon as a 1st choice in either a front two with Rooney or as part of a 3 (or isolated on their own away in Europe).

So, another striker (assuming Saha hobbles off into the sunset) would be the icing on the cake. Louis plus cash for Berbs not such a bad idea.

An attacking midfielder to compliment Carrick / Hargreaves and to become the Scholes replacement plus maybe a right back would be best left for next summer.

No idea why we'd be looking at bringing in any defenders right now. Surely there's actually scope in letting one of Silvestre, Brown, Heinze leave if we get a good price? Would like to see Pique / Evans / Simpson given their chance prior to spending on the back 4.

Selling Richardson to some mugs like Villa or Boro the obvious priority though.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

who the f**k is that icon_biggrin.gif

my 60 suddenly seems tiny icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>i was just thinking the same about my 26 :|

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyPolack:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

the only time i'll consider the CS as competitive is when talking about Ruud's goal tally </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh my, picking and choosing to suit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

indeed. looking forward to completing a historic double in August.

Archived