The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although some of you may not like him, Ronaldo is one of our key players. Both he and Rooney have been the bright sparks over the last two seasons. Creating and scoring goals for us. It's all right saying "bite their hands off" and such now but when it comes the first day of the season and he's not replaced there's going to be problems.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

disgrace! outrage! rooney row erupts as ronaldo looks at him funny!

just feck off </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not enough icon_mad.gif's in but nearly icon14.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

As we're likley to be on page 100 before the first kick of a Premiership ball, is there any chance of this becoming the Offical Pre-Season thread considering how poor and bitchy it's been so far? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quit whinging yourself. It's been a **** pre-season, hence a **** thread so far. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not whinging, i'm just asking a question. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Hows the sand Gregg? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sand? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

head in </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just bite my lip and </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

close your eyes?

More detailed quotes from Ruud:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ruud van Nistelrooy said the breakdown of his relationship with manager Sir Alex Ferguson was the only reason he wanted to leave Manchester United.

"My relationship with Ferguson had ended which was very painful," said the 30-year-old Dutchman after signing for Real Madrid on Friday.

"It had nothing to do with the club or the fans.

"It was the relationship with the manager that broke. I thought it was best to leave."

Van Nistelrooy said he had begun to feel unsettled at Old Trafford after he was left out of the team for February's Carling Cup final.

He eventually handed in a written transfer request, with Real Madrid seeing off competition from Bayern Munich for his signature.

Ferguson did a lot for me, waiting for me while I was injured

Ruud van Nistelrooy

However, Van Nistelrooy said he did not bear a grudge against Ferguson over the bitter end to his five-year spell at United.

"I had an incredible five years in Manchester and I will always remember my time there and the unconditional support from the fans," he said.

"I never got to say goodbye to Ferguson but there is plenty of time for that. I owe him a lot and that is why it was so painful."

Ferguson pressed ahead with a move for Van Nistelrooy even after the then-PSV striker failed a medical in April 2000.

The Dutchman then sustained a serious knee injury while training with PSV a few days later but United stood by him and he eventually joined for £19m.

"Ferguson did a lot for me, waiting for me while I was injured then giving me the chance to play and giving me confidence," Van Nistelrooy told a news conference at the Bernabeu on Friday.

"But what happened, happened. A good relationship ended. It was very disappointing for me."

United issued a statement on their official website, which read: ""Manchester United would like to wish Ruud all the best at his new club and thank him for the great service he provided."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Poor ol' chap icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

RE: Ronaldo

I maintain my position that he has always been someone who WILL move on in the next couple of years to Spain. His diving annoys me (mostly because if he'd stay on his feet he'd actually be in a good position), but is often overplayed by the media. He's still a fb player who just lacks consistency of end product.

I've never said anything different, and won't be on James's list (which I know isn't a throwaway comment, he's undoubtedly made one). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love it when people on here post exactly what I think, saves me the hassle of posting. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

That's a great bit of business tbf. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed. I was happy enough with paying a couple of million for him, but I know a lot of people were moaning about it - credit where it's due, Fergie's got the guy in without a fee, we can see if he's up to being #2, his wages will presumably be offset by McShane and Steele's coming off the wage-bill and it presumably has no impact on bringing in other players.

Good stuff.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

like Hargreaves is going to knock Pirlo and Mascherino out the team! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're gonna be sarcastic at least help those who may not pick up on it.

So after Hargreaves what else do we need / Can we afford.

We need goals. Lots of goals. But from who / where, or has fergie settled for Saha leading the line.

I just had a look, none on there now but holy moly there's LOADS for Liverpool </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty please.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryno:

Come on and sign someone of value before the deadline. icon_mad.gif

Preferrably some Argentinians or Brazilians while they are in the country. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Roque Júnior?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

City empty stockport when they play afaik

And i dont know of any liverpool fans in stockport </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

turds that floated down the mersey perhaps?

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

and no, it makes no difference that pj brought his mum to the wall or whatever </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

eh? I've been to the wall twice - once with my two Fulham supporting mates (last season) and once on my own (this season). So what the eff are you talking about? Got me confused with rcjuk, I think.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

Utter garbage, after Chelsea won today you could just see united dropping points, but we just seemed SO lacklustre especially in midfield. Giggs was the worst player on the pitch ( a pitch that included Marlon Harewood ffs) and Rooney was no better and looked totally out of fitness. Scholes had his worst game in a LONG time today and that showed Carricks flaws time and time again. Ronaldo,Saha & Vidic kept trying but was to little to late.

just looking over the past months this tell's you how small the squad is or ho stupid Ferguson is.

Vs Chelsea - Brought Saha off for O'shea

Vs Everton - Ended up with 8 defenders on the pitch.

Vs West Hame - A goal down in a must win game and he brings O'shea on for Carrick.

Anyway,

MoM: Louis Saha - Was our most potent threat and to be honest the only player to deserve a goal on todays performance.

2nd: Ronlaod - Tried hard all game but should have done better with majority of his chances.

Oh and on the Lille away trip, just checked the prices for train journey and looks cheap enough approx £100 for return journey , looks like I'll be going as long as we can get tickets that is. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ronlaod? You been drinking icon_biggrin.gif

Main problem for me will be the getting of a ticket for Lille. If the ticket has to be picked up in France I am screwed.

Agree mark. That 2-0 defeat at Anfield in 1992 was so galling it's unbelievable. One of the biggest disappointments ever, even though by that time there was a certain inevitability to it and the team had lost their bottle. I mean, we couldn't even say that Rush never scored against United anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> United appoint first COO

Manchester United is pleased to announce the appointment of Michael Bolingbroke as its first Chief Operating Officer.

The appointment follows an extensive recruitment process run by Odgers Sports Practice. The Chief Operating Officer will be responsible for the day to day operations of the Club (finance, IT, human resources, and legal and property services), together with revenue generated through the use of Old Trafford for matches and as a conference and event centre.

Michael Bolingbroke, 41, will take up his new post at the end of May 2007.

Chief executive David Gill said: "I am delighted that Michael is joining the Board.

"His experience and ability will help drive Manchester United forward off the field. The new position of Chief Operating Officer will be a key role in our new management team and I look forward to working with Michael in the years ahead."

Michael Bolingbroke said:

"I'm thrilled to be offered this role. Manchester United is one of the most admired clubs in the world and to be offered the chance to work with such a talented management team on the Club's expansion plans is a true privilege and the opportunity of a lifetime. I can't wait to get going!"

His CV

2004 - current Senior Vice President Shows (Montreal)

2002 - 2003 Vice President Show operations (Las Vegas)

2001 Managing Director, Europe (Amsterdam)

1993 - 2000 The Jim Henson Company

1998 - 2000 Senior Vice President, Operations

1995 - 1997 Operations and Finance Director

1993 - 1996 UK Finance Director

1987 - 1992 PriceWaterhouseCoopers

Education and Qualifications

2001 London Business School - MBA (Distinction)

1990 Pricewaterhousecoopers - Qualified Chartered Accountant

1987 Reading University - BA in Economics </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

There was absolutely zero reason for him to be on the field. Let alone for the full 90. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree, despite his awfulness, I didn't want Giggs/Ronaldo to play because they have played a lot recently...which bluntly leaves Park and Richardson, which highlights the weakness of the squad in the case of the latter really. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is no way a youth player could have been as bad as Richardson was. At least a younger player would have been more up for making an impact and would put some effort in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah well, as bad as KR is, slinging in some random 16 year old in a last 16 match of the FA Cup might have been a bit too far icon_biggrin.gif

Guest MrFootballMan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SirZ:

I know its the agreement but Its just in the business end of such a crucial campaign. I would have thought you lot would have made the effort to keep him. Doesnt seem like you have at all. Could be the difference between winning a trophy or ending up without anything. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if we really really pushed for it we could keep him, but the bottom line is helsingborgs did us a favour and we are honouring that favour by not trying to take advantage of them.

itll be a shame to see him go but in all honesty he hasnt been that great for us in the last few games anyway </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what I have seen, the fact that he hasn't been playing great is more to do with the way he is being played than anything else. He'd probably work better with Saha and Rooney behind the strikers.

He had absolutely no service whatsoever in the Liverpool game and he isn't really a player for holding the ball up.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> However, Real striker Van Nistelrooy admits prising Ronaldo away from United could prove to be a problem.

"He is a very good player despite being only 22 years old. The best in the world," Van Nistelrooy told Spanish radio station Cadena SER.

"Physically and technically he has learned a lot.

"For me it would be good if he came here. But it will be difficult to get Manchester United to let him escape."

Van Nistelrooy added: "In training (at United) everything was good. There was chemistry."

Ronaldo is currently in talks with The Red Devils about extending his current contract, which expires in 2010, through 2012. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

'Go and cry about your dead dad' was 'good chemistry'?

• 2 weeks later...

Park's out with a knee injury apparently. presume that happened in training because he was still haring about deep into injury time on saturday. annoying.

guess that leaves the Richardson option as the obvious one sadly. would be surprised to see Smudger up top with Rooney although it's clearly infinitely preferable. if we must use some kind of 451, Fletch on the right with Ronaldo on the left maybe? (depends on Dazzle's fitness really).

these injuries are getting mental now. was always bound to happen i guess.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

nick, you don't have to be at that stage to go to fc - plenty do both to satisfy their needs. having a mistress, you might say. she doesn't make the same demands of you and is fully aware of the full time commitments you have with the other half. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nice work icon_biggrin.gif

yeah, i see your point. i should make more of an effort to get along really, there's just something about only going to games when there are no big united commitments that doesn't appeal - feels a bit part-time maybe.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cristiano Ronaldooooooooo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

right, ATTENTION JULES/JOE:

it seems i inadvertently did apply for milan away (didn't think my online app had gone through) and lo and behold, i've got a bloody ticket icon_biggrin.gif

i definitely can't go, financially out of the question so it's all yours (one of you) for the princely sum of £36.05 (i can probably waive the 5p tbf). let me know asap, else i'll shift it elsewhere as i really need the cash. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'll most likely have it off, i'll let you know tonight and grab it off you tomorrow night if i'm having it?? icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bbb told me earlier he'd shifted it to someone but didn't give me any other details, i'll speak to him when he gets back from work and see what's going on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

seriously do the Argies have a defender shortage?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nah. garay lighting it up

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

it's like an episode of surprise surprise :**) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now we just need a fecking annoying scouser to present it...

Oh, hi polack. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

here sir.

We're in for a lorra lorra fun tonight ladies and gents...

aww man, i was going to vote for rio in the poty award because i would've felt knowing that he eventually wouldn't even be nominated despite being completely awesome this season. but bottled it and iirc went for ronaldo icon_frown.gif

now i feel bad, even though ronnie was completely deserving of it.

SO close to retaining my Most Improved User award :*(

Archived