The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

Hargreaves is a great player. He's not a spectacular player, but then, thats not what his game is about.

He's great at breaking up plays and snubbing out attacks before they begin. He's a very good reader of the game and if we're really after an out and out defensive midfielder as opposed to a box to box strong tackling midfielder like Keane of old, then he'd certainly be a good choice.

I'd rather Mascherano, but he'd be a good alternative.

If we got either of them and Carrick, it'd be interesting to see how the midfield and attack would work. Carrick tends to like to sit deep and pass the ball around, he's not so much of a tackling defensive midfielder, more a deep playmaker.

With Carrick and Mascherano/Hargreaves as the midfield duo, we'd need Ruud to drop deep a little, into the hole, which really suits his game and it'd also allow the wingers to get forward more, again which is also something that suits their game.

For me, that would be something that would add a real positivity to our game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I want to say 'shut it Carter' but I actually agree icon_frown.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daaaaave:

sell ferdinand tbh. you've got cover for him, he'll still generate a pile of cash and you might be able to basically finance an entire new midfield. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's an avenue well worth exploring for my money, although I think I'm fairly alone in that in here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by markgood guy:

i just dont think you can win it with kids anymore ! not with Roman around.

and i also dont think you give youth much of a chance anymore,

spector agood young lad, played 2 prem games in the space of 48 hours i think(?) was excellent and no where to be seen after, yeea yeaa i know he went to chartlon but it didn't seem to do him much good did it?

and i can't help but think that somewhere like Arsenal, somebody like piqu would of been braking into the first team but he has no chance of doing that at Manchester united not with so many defenders at the club. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

im not this bad am i? icon_biggrin.gif

That football365 article offered nothing that hasn't been gone over again and again in these 61 pages and a lot from the previous thread.

May as well have called it the OTF United Thread Best Off Series (without the regular bad language and smilies).

Doesn't quite roll off the tongue but you get the point.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

We're playing 4-6-0 in an attempt to snatch a courageous draw against the superstars of the Kaiser Chiefs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scholes seems to have pushed forward, and we're now playing slightly better than we were with only Dong up front.

A slightly larger version of the article above I think :

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson says his summer recruitment drive will be firmly focused on reinforcing the Red Devils midfield.

Whilst Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool have all been active in the transfer market, United have been unable to bring in any news faces so far and Ferguson's side still have a pressing need to find a long-term replacement for former captain Roy Keane.

A host of names have been linked with a move to Old Trafford, with Lyon's Mahamadou Diarra and former Arsenal man Patrick Vieira frequently cited as potential targets, whilst Ferguson is determined not to pay over the odds for Tottenham's Michael Carrick after seeing a bid turned down for the England international.

United have also been linked with a move for Atletico Madrid striker Fernando Torres, but Ferguson has stated the most pressing priority is to bring some class and steel to the Old Trafford midfield.

"The main issue for me is the composition of the midfield. We are not looking outside of that," Ferguson told The News of the World.

"When you lose a player like Roy Keane, which was always going to happen as he was getting older, you have to find a replacement for him.

"It is something I have been looking at for a long time. We have Paul Scholes back after that unfortunate, unusual eye injury and he is back to his best form.

"We also have the quality and experience of Ryan Giggs so it can't be that bad.

"We have youthfulness in John O'Shea, who did a great job for us last year in that position, and Darren Fletcher, so we have some alternatives in there."

Ferguson seems content to allow Wayne Rooney, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Alan Smith, Giuseppe Rossi and Louis Saha to try and fill the gap left by Ruud van Nistelrooy's likely departure, with the Dutchman set to move to Bayern Munich or Real Madrid.

Original doubts over van Nistelrooy's future were sparked when Ferguson dropped him for the Carling Cup final against Wigan last season, but the Scot says the striker has made his intentions clear for some time.

"Ruud asked away, it is as simple as that," Ferguson added.

"He asked away before the Arsenal Cup final last year, then asked away through his representative and now has asked away himself in writing.

"Quite frankly, if he wants to leave there really is no point trying to persuade him to stay.

"If a player's heart is not in it then you have to make a decision. I couldn't tell you why he wants to leave or why his heart isn't in it, all I can tell you is he has asked away and we have accepted that."

However Cristiano Ronaldo will not be allowed to leave as easily, despite the winger seemingly having his heart set on a move to Spain.

The Portuguese international's future has been the subject of frenzied debate after his involvement in Wayne Rooney's World Cup quarter final dismissal, but Ferguson says there is no problem between the two young team-mates and that Ronaldo will not be leaving Old Trafford.

"Ronaldo will return to Manchester United. We are not in the process of letting our best players go, certainly not our young players.

"There is no rift between Wayne and Cristiano. In fact Wayne has been fantastic throughout all of this, he has handled the whole thing very well.

"I know Wayne has been in touch with Cristiano and I don't anticipate any problems." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seriously, he's not put a foot right yet icon_biggrin.gif

VDS makes the first save of the day, long-range shot slightly deflected by Luis Fabiano but it's a comfortable save.

Playing it long to Saha very quickly so far :/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

tbh I can see Hargreaves really wanting this chance to come to England.. he's done it all with Bayern and we're still (somehow) a big attraction.

The question is, do Bayern want to hold onto an unhappy player. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, they do. Bayern already has a central midfield crisis. Now that Ishmael has a broken bone, the crisis deepens because DeMichellis is now first back-up at center back. They'd be completely ****ed if Hargreaves wasn't available in the holding midfield role.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

rather give fellatio to a diseased warthog </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't we all icon14.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

If the goal hanging equine diver loved the club and fans even half as much as his sycophantic bleating suggested he’d have taken it on his oversized chin and worked doubly hard to make himself undroppable. Instead we had a tantrum the most stroppy of toddlers would be proud of, apathetic appearances on the pitch, that penalty and one final unprofessional outburst that produced an incredibly ill-fitting finale on his united career. Good riddance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs. w4w.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by player_65:

Well that was harder than it should have been. No mention of Ole starting against Arsenal on the right, Ronaldo left? I don't know if he's up to it, but surprised no-one's mentioned it yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i will. i think it's one of only two realistic options before we start talking about playing richardson if we stick to a 442. flecth had a very good game tonight, but if arsenals weak point is left back atm, then it would be a waste to play him again. the choices are either solksjaer right, ronnie left; evra left, ronnie right; or homo hair left, ronnie right.

the other option would be to play a 433 - and it's something i would be opposed to for this one game. rooney left, solskjaer right, saha central up front. carrick sitting in behind scholes and fletch in midfield. i'd also drop brown for vidic as our marking from set pieces and dealing with crosses has been extremely ordinary all season.

as for tonights game... as i said in the match thread, another goal to us would probably have been a fairer reflection on the game. felt a bit sorry for rooney, he got nothing from michel despite being manhandled the entire match. there was one moment in the second half that summed his game up - he was holding the ball up, two players had a grip of his shirt, he somehow managed to hold them off and keep possession, a third celtic player came in and ended up fairly winning possession. rooney grabbed his shirt and otherwise fairly won the ball back, michel gave a free kick to celtic.

van der sar was ordinary, brown and especially rio had mares, mickey so fine actually looked good again and was the pick of our defenders. it's the start of the apocalypse. icon_frown.gif

MotM: Scholes.

2nd: Sahahahahahaha

fletch gets an honourable mention as he was qfb last night also.

Well that performance brought back memories of how we play normally against quite ***** sides. It was the sort of performance you'd see when we play the likes of Portsmouth or West Brom.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

The commentators couldnt wait to crucify Ronaldo last night but like some said, the times when he was taking it 60 yards and losing the ball there wasnt a single pass on the majority of times because there was nobody even close to him.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats why I ended up watching with the TV on mute. It just got so cringeworthy that the boy is running 60 yards with the ball and it's relieveing pressure with not much support and then they criticise because he's crowded out by 3 or 4 players.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

When has fergie been wrong about a youngster coming through the ranks? I know how promising Jones has looked over the past 2 seasons in reserve level and on loan etc, but I trust fergies judgement when it comes to youth teamers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, he lost my trust when giving Richardson and O'Shea numerous games in midfield. Jonah to come back and haunt us plz

Beginning to think the Fergie dying scenario is a good'un icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even before the strong possibility that the story is complete ********, while you can argue that we've kept and played youngsters longer than we should have done, i can't name one youth player that he's let go who's gone on to prove Fergie wrong. So for all the areas where he's not on top of his game any more, i'm still prepared to trust his judgement on that one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

why will he? that's not his job. Scholes is the one who dominates possession for us.

he's doing exactly what is needed of him now. and I dont recall any horrific mistakes.

I cant help but feel you're not grasping the idea that he's doing what we need of him very well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Remember ALL of Anfield singing munich songs

Remember the Kop doing aeroplanes

Remember the Munich 58 banner on the Kop

Remember scousers slashing straight members and scaffers home AND away

Remember Main Road 85 & what was at stake

Remember that we stopped them doing the "Impossible" Treble

Remember ALL those flags mocking Munich at Heysel in '85

Remember 39 dead Italians and how they tried to blame everyone but themselves

Remember the bastards throwing CS Gas at our players at Anfield

Remember that utter UTTER **** Kenney Dalglish

Remember Anfield 1992 & how you felt after Rush scored

Remember 3-3 in 1994 & how it felt like a defeat

Remember the **** spitting on Eric as he went to lift The FA Cup

Remember Robbie Fowler and his four (now five) finger salute every time he scores against us

Remember that giant FC Bayern München flag at Anfield in 1999

Remember Paul Ince (and all of Anfield) thinking he had denied us the Title

Remember loosing Five on the trot against them 2000-2002

Remember The BBC hailing the plastic treble as some sort of achievement

Remember them breaking the silence in honour of Georgie Best

Remember rick parry bleating on about the NY honours and Paisley & all that other *****, the ****ing ******!

Remember scousers complaining on 5Live that Sir Matt only got knighted because he survived the disaster

Remember Smiths ambulance & cups of **** at anfield

Remember how you felt on 25 May 2005

go for it Ladle

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

"I went to watch Chelsea, see what they were about, see their manager and just try to pick up different things. I left before extra-time but, overall, I was disappointed with the game. I thought it was poor. I think we would have taken either of them on the weekend's performance. It was like when I watched Middlesbrough versus West Brom in the Cup a few weeks ago and, when people asked me what I thought, I said, 'We'd take any of them.'"

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

KEANOOOOOOO </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sunderland to promote and do the double over Chelsea next season icon_biggrin.gif

weekend games are trickier, less chance (zero chance typically) of tickets going on sale to the general public. might be able to source a ticket for one of the less attractive games through unofficial avenues though.

any midweek game against unfashionable opposition and you'd have no bother.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pickles:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

Don't know if any of you guys have heard but apprently theres going to be no alcohol on sale in Milan from 7 a.m until after the game this wednesday, due to public order offences or something. icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Morroccans will flog you crates out of the back of their vans. Saves paying €8 for a half pint anyway icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My Guinness was only €5 for a pint in Roma. icon_razz.gif

masch was good yesterday.

I just hope the ref tonight is like the one last nite. Seemed like hed glued his cards to his pockets, and could have booked J Cole, or Masch on a couple of occasions but seemed reluctant because they were one away from a suspension.

Just know tonight Kaka, Ronaldo and Scholes are all going to be booked, just to make it easier for Scousers in the final

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Cartman:

Mika has his fix of Ruud love in the La Liga thread now anyway

Shameless Daaaave vote whoring there Carter </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm trying to put right a wrong by a Manchester City supporting clown. I feel like Dr Sam Beckett.

Archived