The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

City below Liverpool and Leeds for me. Probably only so near the other two because of the greater number of their fans you have to put up with after they beat you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely thats the whole point of a rivalry

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joe_cole:

Zlatan is awesome, he has just took some time to adjust to being a small fish in a big pond rather than vice versa. Also played at the World Cup carrying an injury. However no-one is sure now what the punishments in Italy are going to be, so sorry but I doubt you will be signing AC players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah yes, that well-known AC Milan player Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Can you believe joe's school still let him believe he's a volounteer? They're heartless icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

If VDS retires at the end of this season then it makes much more sense I agree. However I can see VDS going for at least one more after this season. It's not like he is looking old.

In essence we have paid them money (whatever you value the players at) to loan a backup for a season. I am sure we will be paying his wages too.

Now surely there was another keeper we could have loaned as backup for a season who wouldn't have cost us two players? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like who? Obviously a van der Gouw mkII would have been ideal but we've clearly not found one. Good luck finding an international keeper, Premiership-experienced and first choice at his club and getting him on loan with no 'sweeteners' to the deal.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

I'm still thinking that we won't make any more signings during this window, to be honest I don't really expect any in Jan either, CL ineligibility etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huntelaar </div></BLOCKQUOTE>isn't he ineligible?

This morning feels atrocious. It doesn't help that its grey outside, which is really great for trying to lift myself up inside, a nice sunny day could have at least meant I could pop down town and eye up some ladies.

Lets have a look at the dealings we've done this summer. Firstly Sales. Ruud going was always inevitable after what transpired at the end of the season. Then the sales of Spector, Blake, and Bellion would have been expected considering they didn't seem to be in the future for Manchester United. Also should note the irony that Spector is now going to train and play with Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano, if we had said that last season we would have thought that it would have been here at OT. The releasing of the likes of Timm, Mark Howard, Johnson, Picken, Heath, Lee, and Moran were always on the card due to no real future in the Premiership. However after what has happened this transfer window, the releases of Fortune, Neumayr, and even Miller have left us ridiculously short at Centre Midfield.

As for the loan moves, most are understandable. Tim Howard needs to get playing first team football again, especially as it looks like he'll be going next summer. Foster also needs Premiership experience and will continue his development with Watford and England, which is an added benefit for United. As for the likes of Martin, Evans, Simpson, Gibson, and Campbell the moves to Rangers and Antwerp will help their development with added first team games. Adam Eckersley is probably not going to have a future at a club, so his loan was also inevitable, why it is to a Danish side and not a Championship side does confuse me as it is most likely he'll end up in the Championship than the Danish league. Now comes the 4 loan deals that I just make me go 'eh?'. Pique deal seems really weird sending him to Spain obviously will help his development especially due to having to play 20 games, however I do feel that it is the precursor to a move back to Spain. Bardsley's move to Rangers again will help his development but linked with the loaning of Simpson to Antwerp has meant we are ridiculously short at right back, though I'm sure Fergie/Quieroz will find some way of saying Smith is our new Full Back. Rossi is another that beggars belief, especially considering we didn't bring anyone else in upfront. Again it will help his development but at what cost for us in the next 4 months. Our strikers aren't exactly favourites to stay available for all the games between now and January. And the final loan deal Chris Eagles yesterday to Nijmegen, now I know that is probably down to some agreement with them to send out a play on loan, but with us ridiculously thin on the ground at all midfield positions, the lad could have helped us out.

Now the those players we have brought in. Michael Carrick could be a great player for us, but he is not the destructive midfielder we really needed, he's more Pirlo than Gattuso. Tommy K is a good keeper in the mould of Van der Gouw, obviously not going to start every game, but when needed will do a job for us at the back. Wow that was an incredibly short paragraph.

Those players that we missed out on really make me feel even worse. Ballack, Berbatov, Torres, Hargreaves, Senna, Tevez, and Mascherano, would all walk into our first team at the moment. When you look the way the targets were chased it is no wonder we missed out. Obviously Ballack was a no go once Chelsea entered the race. It seemed like Berbatov was the first target as a Ruud replacement but telling him to wait for a few weeks while we sold Ruud made that deal a no go. Torres was always a tricky move, Atletico were probably not going to sell and as soon as he said that he wanted to stay we probably should have looked elsewhere, maybe we did go for Tevez, but seeing how he and Javier moved to West Ham and what Kia Joorabchian has said in the last 24 hours it was highly unlikely he was going to a top club this summer. As for Hargreaves and Senna shambles, the blame can be pointed at the Glazers, Gill, and possibly Fergie. We really should have looked at some other options while going after these two so that we would have a fall back option if both of those two fell flat on their face. Whether it was stubbornness by Ferguson over Hargreaves, or just pure inept dealing by Gill and the Glazers some one should be held responsible for the ridiculous way the club has tried to sign players this summer, even the Carrick and Kuszczak deals had element of the Keystone Cops about them.

Looking at the way our rivals have strengthen also doesn't fill me with any hope. Liverpool have signed some good players in Aurelio and Bellamy (not to worried about Pennant and Kuijt but they'll probably prove me wrong icon_frown.gif). Arsenal have landed Baptista, Rosicky and Gallas aswell as hanging on to Henry and Fabregas. Tottenham have also added strength, and West Ham and Pompey look like they could be the teams to bridge the gap between the big clubs and the upper midtable. Chelsea have obviously strengthen but they were so far ahead it made no real difference considering the shambles our summer was.

When I started this I said it was grey outside but it is now sunny, maybe there is still hope, and we'll have a surprise press conference where we announce we've signed Torres and Hargreaves, maybe that is Gill's role in the Premier League, make sure that our dealings don't become public until we want them to, hiding the faxes as they came in at 11:59pm last night. But hey more chance of me playing for United than that happening. At least we have Heinze, Scholes, and Smith back and that's like 3 new signings.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

Your rincon.

I'm pretty certain he's moved to Empoli.

http://www.empolicalcio.it/documento.php?id=3596 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I swear probably even our management have no idea what's going on with that kid. He seemed to effectively vanish for a year.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

For Celtic Scholes starting is a no brainer, its just who do you have alongside him.

I'd probably go with Giggs and have Park on the wing. If i had to pick from O'Shea, Fletcher and Carrick i think i would go with Fletch because hes playing the best of the three. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he'd be a good choice i he'd be fired up against Celtic but Carrick would be able to unlock their defence

I'm sorry but I just don't agree with the Evra hate today. I can't remember too many times when he put us in it or got caught out in a big-way. The only incident I can remember was him getting caught far too much up the pitch and Hleb running through.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

Feck off i do NOT buy stella </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're just wierd, though. icon_wink.gif

You're not saying you prefer Carling to the Belgian Nectar, are you ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Excuse my stupidity, but Del Piero news? icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>We were after him in summer but he opted to stay in Juve

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

In 1992 he scored 30 goals

In 1993 he scored 20 goals

In 1994 he scored 31 goals

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In 1995 he scored 26 goals

In 1996 there was the incident with the pigeon

In 1997 he scored 9 goals...

I've found out the true reason why Fletch played tonight, it was his birthday. icon_biggrin.gif

Some Fletcher trivia to celebrate:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Fletcher's favourites

From his favourite film to the most interesting place he's visited, the United midfielder reveals all...

TV programme: Prison Break

Film: Shawshank Redemption

Last film you watched: Hustle 4

Computer game: Pro Evo

Actor: Tom Hanks, because he always puts in a classic performance

Comedian: Lee Evans

Musician: Notorious B.I.G

Food: Haggis and potatoes

Drink: Orange Lucozade

Pizza topping: Plain cheese

Non-footballing sporting hero: Muhammed Ali

Pre-match meal: Chicken and spaghetti with ketchup on top.

Footballing hero: Fernando Redondo

What would you be if you weren’t a footballer: PE teacher

Last time you cried: Scottish people don’t cry

If you could have any superpower, what would it be: To be able to fly

Most interesting place visited: Hong Kong

Holiday destination: New York </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">just needing AFFG's for arsenal's two goals, suggestions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

help me, infidels </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1st was more difficult, but i think we decided Gary Nev out of position at the back post. 2nd there seemed to be an argument over Vidic or Rio, but then a few of the Rio people had thought it was him who missed the header. No doubt it was Vidic as far as i was concerned, as he lost Henry and missed the header, leaving Rio with two to mark.

for me, we can maybe afford to send foster out on loan for one more year before he gets restless. so i would do that, loan him to someone like derby (if they go up) and keep kuszczak as number 2 to edwin. then at the end of next season i would expect foster to have the experience and confidence to become the number one, with vds retiring after euro 2008 as he said he might.

oh,

MotM:

1) Ji-Sung Park (thought he was very bright, a bundle of energy)

2) Nemanja Vidic (quality display at the back)

and another thing. alan smith played against southend, back in early-mid november. he was clearly unfit but its now february. how long does an 'intensive fitness regime' take ffs, surely hes at least fit enough for a sub appearance?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by titchuk:

Dunno whether I want Milan or Liverpool to win in the final now we're out.

On one hand I'd hate Liverpool to win, but Milan annoyed me on Wednesday and Liverpool are British...

icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

plz throw yourself off tier 3 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

**** plz ! Just do it now. icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dutch Dave:

So Van der Sar is going to be replaced?

I thought he had a decent season?

I wouldn't mind him coming back to Holland, although we have a good Stekelenburg currently at Ajax, and he's just 24 years old. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He had some shaky moments in the second half of the season. I'd hope if Foster is going to be number 1 we could hang on to him as backup for a year, as it would obviously be a gamble to rely on someone as young as Foster, and Kuszczak isn't really up to being more than backup if Foster was a failure.

Archived