The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cappo Smiffy:

And I think Carrick will be off to you lot soon, it could be anything from £14m-£17m from what I can gather, and I think he'll be going on holiday soon knowing he's pretty much a united player, that's the word on the interweb street icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye, assumed it would be largely sorted one way or the other in the next few days, although the United section of the interweb street is currently awash with talk of financial meltdown and no summer signings so I'm just going to stick my head in the fridge and set an alarm for August 20th I think.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Some signings on this page please. Anyone, really. I mean I'd take Ralph Milne at the moment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Beardsmore?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daaaaave:

sell ferdinand tbh. you've got cover for him, he'll still generate a pile of cash and you might be able to basically finance an entire new midfield. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's an avenue well worth exploring for my money, although I think I'm fairly alone in that in here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apparently not /o\

I'm gonna hold the fort for the keep Rio side then :/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

If the season were to start tomorrow, I'd say the best we could hope for is 4th place, a run in one of the domestic cups and scrambling through a few rounds of the CL á la the bindippers/arse. I just don't see this current squad (even with no injuries all season) having enough to finish ahead of Chelsea (ofc), Liverpool or even Arsenal. Quite frankly I'd be a bit worried about Spurs as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. I thought you saw nothing to worry about in Arsenal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was back when I misguidedly believed we'd significantly strengthen this summer.

There are other significant stumbling blocks, it's not as simple as that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

CRonaldo's future and Nike?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

God it wasn't that long ago that we had Butt, Keane, Scholes, Neville, Kleberson, Djembas, Fletcher and we were saying how good it was that we had so many options there. Slowly they've all been proved to be a)rubbish b)past it c)both and we're in this mess. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd like to point out neville wasnt rubbish or past it, he was just sold for some reason that i cant remember.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by markgood guy:

tbf if we get an offer in the range of 30-35 milion pounds for ronaldo

i think we should take it he has no future at MANCHESTER UNITED </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ngngngngngngngngngng

You are right though but he DOES have a future.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

No chance he'll be allowed to go on a Bosman. The PLC wouldn't have let that happen, let alone the Glazers. If there's any hint that he's looking to run down his deal and leave on a free he'll be sold pronto.

And like you say, i don't see Fergie wanting rid but how long has Fergie got left in charge? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly, which is why I mentioned the next manager icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

Stop it with the sh*t conspiracy theories, we didn't get any high profile players because it's apparent we have no ambition and Fergie is a pr*ck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right, so you seriously think that either no-one but West Ham has shown an interest in the Argie duo or that they've chosen West Ham over us, Arsenal and Chelsea? icon_biggrin.gif

The rest of your point may well be true but you can hardly blame United for us not getting those two. By all means go to town on them for the other failures.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Please let us get Real in the CL this year, please, please, please. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh God, don't be like my mate PLEASE

"Mart, you know what would rule"

"United/Madrid in the CL final at OT"

"Aye, it would be pretty cool"

"Beckham to get the winner for Madrid!"

"erm no *stabs to death* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, Ruud hat trick, but us to get 4 and win icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so what I said then?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've always wondered how good Ronaldo would be through the middle, I've always had a hunch that he could be great in that role. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed I think he could be too. Such are his attributes he could be effective in some way anywhere in the attacking line up.

But with our squad setup there's no doubting the wide areas are where he should be kept for now.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

James has a spare, I'll text him

stripeylad needs the copenhagen money! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I am sending the money later on. Totally forgot I owe money to so many people.

I owe Keef 30 quid for the scousers & thats it after that I think. Already paid for Copenhangen on the night when I gave the 30 quid to you.

So I am debt free again \o/

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'd be ok with "cheering them on" or "hoping they win", but "support" is not even in the equation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sorry, what? Since when is it ok to "hope they win" or "cheer them on"?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Richardson will do nothing but rape himself up the arse time and time again </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and probably enjoy it

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pickles:

...but Carrick, O'Shea, Fletcher et al. have looked disinterested to say the least. Someone to sit in front of the back four would do me very nicely and maybe another left back icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Harsh really icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ha, missed that on first read - carrick and fletch disinterested? icon_biggrin.gif

the panto thing is a united tradition, iirc it's the first year academy scholars that have to put on a panto in the carrington canteen for the first-teamers, usually taking the p*ss out of them. in the past they always had the pictures in the christmas edition of the official magazine, looks a laugh.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

also happened very close to the release date of the blue kit, pure coincidence I'm sure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the blue kit so awesome, the silver lettering :*)

Veron's chip :*)

Man I loved that season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

blue kit :***)

I remain on a media blackout at present.

Having just looked at Liverpool's run-in, it's a piece of **** in comparison to ours. Genuinely getting a little scared.

SO important that we bounce back from this defeat very quickly. We've got a couple of winnable games before meeting another big gun, and they're absolute must-wins.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

JOS out tomorrow, Ronaldo/Carrick doubtful with heavy colds icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank christ O'Shea is out if Carrick is or else he would have started.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a good way to look at it actually icon14.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

The end of season ‘Mika’ scenario. 4-5-1 tonight. Rooney does his knee ligaments. 0-1, only a point at Fulham, win against Reading but 0-3 against the Scouse, Lille lose 2-1 at OT with a last minute offside goal, league form continues to stutter, FA Cup defeat on penalties against City in the semi, more dropped points at home, Robbie Fowler consigns us to a league defeat at the boo camp and a 4-0 hammering on the Wednesday at Stamford bridge confirms their title. West Ham then beat us to stay up. Joey Barton slaps in the winner in the Cup Final and Gerrard’s double against Chelsea makes it 6 times for the scouse.

The other version Lille dispatched. Wins at Fulham and Liverpool see us 12 pts clear. League form sparkling. Chelsea just about keeping up. Arsenal hammered in the FA Cup semi. Real Madrid beaten (Ruud misses penalty). 4-0 at the Boo Camp seals the title, with a dead rubber at the Bridge to celebrate this time at Stamford Bridge. The reserves relegate West Ham, a 2-0 half time deficit is turned around at Wembley as Citeh’s 1st trophy for 31 years is snatched away bluuuuuue moon, you started singing too soon…. Athens, scousers, sccchhhhhhhhhooooooooooollllllllllllleeeeeeeeesssssssssss!!!!, 3-0 we won it 3 tiiiiiiiiiimes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How will Fowler be consigning us to defeat at the boo camp? He gonna bea special guest referee?

Theis spot on about Giggsy there.

Although, most of the division over Giggs yesterday, like Nick said, seems to be between the lads at Craven Cottage & the lads who have watched it on TV, where obviously the presentation of the game has led to differing conclusions.

Its funny really (not ha-ha, odd coincidence funny), after catching up on the posts I missed last night after work, and then watching MOTD this morning the first thing I thought when Hansen said Giggs had a good game in the post-match analysis was the balance of opinion in this thread.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

and that JOS video is the best thing ever ever ever icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

disappointed by lack of nutmegs icon13.gif

Did you read the quite frankly brilliant roundup of the friendly on ESPN? icon_biggrin.gif

Guy was so very into it it seems icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Manchester United 4-3 Europe XI: Ronaldo class

There was no Beckham - not playing at least - no Ronaldinho, no Maldini and the original Ronaldo was missing too.

But the thousands of schoolchildren present on an evening when Manchester United celebrated the 50th anniversary of their own entry into Europe - along with the somewhat more significant Treaty of Rome - and raised £1.25million for charity into the bargain, were still given a thrill to remember for the rest of their lives.

Over the past month, notable Manchester United figures from past and present have queued up to confirm Cristiano Ronaldo's importance to the Red Devils' cause.

And here, freed from the pressures and restrictions of competitive combat, the brilliant 22-year-old showed off the full range of his mesmerising skill.

Showed off is the appropriate phrase too, given Ronaldo played to the gallery at every opportunity.

The dancing feet, never-ending stepovers, strong running, flicked passes. A true performer in every sense of the word.

In the end, Marco Materazzi - the man Zinedine Zidane ended his career by headbutting in last summer's World Cup - lived out his own childhood dream, reverting to the tactics of the playground by hacking Ronaldo down by the touchline.

The tackle was taken in good grace, and with a half smile, although Ronaldo had plenty to smile about by that stage, having rasped home a free-kick good enough to grace any of the great European nights the Theatre of Dreams has played host to down the years.

Ronaldo's effort, teed up with Jonny Wilkinson-like precision, bent so many ways before rasping into the top corner that Valencia's Santiago Canizares, widely acknowledged as one of the best keepers in Europe, began by moving with it, then just gave up and watched it fly past him like the rest of the awe-struck 74,343 crowd - a record for a friendly game at the stadium.

Even Beckham, sat in the directors' box alongside wife Victoria, devastated at not being able to play a more active part in his 'homecoming' must have appreciated it.

To the type of reception normally associated with the Beatles, Beckham addressed the United fans at half-time, declaring Sir Alex Ferguson to be the 'best manager in the world' and his days at Old Trafford 'the best of my career'.

Time moves on, though. Four years have passed since the former England skipper and lifelong United supporter graced this stadium on club duty.

His contribution to the Red Devils' success will never be forgotten or underestimated but the club has new heroes now in Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney.

Without a Champions League goal since September 2004, Rooney proved he can cut it against high-ranking opposition, albeit ones who do not tackle, by taking just five minutes to get his name on the scoresheet, a little shimmy taking Canizares out of the game as he tapped Paul Scholes' through ball into an empty net.

A bit of trickery from old master Ryan Giggs provided Wes Brown with a second for United before Lyon's Florent Malouda pulled one back with what would have been the goal of the night had it not been for Ronaldo's stunner.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic had missed a penalty by the time Rooney finished off Park Ji-Sung's cross for a United fourth.

The numerous changes for both sides at half-time included the exit of Ronaldo and Rooney and the arrival of Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher for Marcello Lippi's makeshift European side.

With El-Hadji Diouf - who pulled a goal back with a close-range header - on as well, the home fans had three players with Liverpool connections to abuse.

However, none received as negative a reaction as Robbie Fowler, one half of probably the most unpopular substitute Old Trafford has ever seen as Henrik Larsson departed for the final time to a hero's welcome.

All that was left was a near-perfect Mexican wave, which was rolling round the ground as China international Dong Fangzhou was given his first taste of the Old Trafford atmosphere, and a late Diouf penalty after Gabriel Heinze had handled.

But as they headed for home, there was only one name on the lips of those kids for whom a real-life glimpse of United is a rare event indeed. For them there really is only one Ronaldo.

Ferguson delighted after tribute match

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson hailed Tuesday night's UEFA celebration game as a fitting tribute to the club's 50 years in European competition.

United beat a Europe XI 4-3 thanks to two goals from Wayne Rooney and one apiece from Wes Brown and Cristiano Ronaldo - the latter a sublime 30-yard free-kick of which the watching David Beckham would have been proud.

Marcello Lippi's hastily-assembled Europe XI were 4-1 down at half-time - Florent Malouda their scorer - but won the second half thanks to a double from substitute El-Hadji Diouf.

The Old Trafford encounter also commemorated the 50th anniversary of the Treaty of Rome and was played in a fitting spirit of camaraderie.

Ferguson said: 'It was a fantastic night of players relaxing. It's amazing when you can play without pressure that they can enjoy themselves this much.

'For everyone coming, it was a really good night.'

He added: 'It was good that there were so many young people here. Ticket prices were good for young people to get here tonight and it was good to see some fantastic football also.'

Being a celebration game, the were the inevitable pre-match niceties. It was also announced that Beckham would address the crowd at half-time, much to the delight of the 73,000 in attendance.

Ferguson missed the emotional speech - as he was in the dressing room - but was not surprised Beckham received such a warm welcome in his first appearance in front of United fans for almost four years.

'I'd expect he'd get a great reception,' Ferguson said.

'Even teams, when their managers have played for our club, always get a fantastic reception, quite rightly too.'

In his address, Beckham called Ferguson the greatest manager in the world.

His former boss - who once accidentally kicked a boot in the then England captain's face - later reciprocated.

'He had great years here. He came as a boy and all his formative years were spent here,' Ferguson said.

'It was a great foundation here before he went on to Real Madrid. He was a great player.'

Europe XI boss Lippi echoed Ferguson's sentiments about the occasion but admitted he was disappointed so many high-profile players were forced to pull out through injury.

'It was meant to be a celebration and it was - the two jubilees that we celebrated,' he said.

'In terms of players, of course the aim was to get really the best players in the world and some of them unfortunately got held up or injured over the weekend.

'There were some changes, as you all know, but what I saw on the pitch was a good performance and a good show for the 73,000.

'I thank all those players that came because some came at the last minute and were quite keen to play in this celebration match.'

Lippi's side inevitably struggled to gel and he said: 'It takes years to build a team and we tried to build one in an afternoon - there are some limitations with that.'

United also had their injury problems going into the game, and Ferguson admitted afterwards that goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar would not be available until after the forthcoming international break.

He is also expecting to be without strikers Louis Saha and Ole Gunnar Solsjkaer for the same period of time.

But Ferguson did calm any fears about first-choice central defensive partnership Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand, who should both be available for Saturday's game with Bolton.

Ferguson said: 'Nemanja had a small break in the cartilage in his nose and he went to hospital this morning to get some of the blood drained away, just a little clot. He's fine.

'Rio Ferdinand went for a scan on his ribs but he's okay.' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ffs icon_biggrin.gif

Think i have to break up with my girlfriend with whom i have a relation of 2 years going.

She's asking me to put her on top of United in my priority list which is something i will never ****ing do.

I mean i wanna go in the movie business, make a **** load of money and buy United. What in gods earth makes her think she's gonna be over United in the priority list when i am prepared to go bankrupt to buy the club for the love of god.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

Who at MUFC is to be the recipient of e-mails from fans who were there ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>contact IMUSA they said on SSN that they are getting evidence from reds to give to UEFA

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wealthest clubs in the world has ALWAYS been done on the profit a club makes the past year. In which case #1 and #2 is always you/Real Madrid.

No one, has ever ever ever in these "top 10 club wealthest clubs in the world" lists taken into account how much debt or how much money a club has in it's bank accounts.

Quit making out every media outlet in the world is out to get icon_frown.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

try to get them without martin </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Martin is my bitch & will continue to be so for a long while yet.

Archived