The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Sky Sports, As a close friend i'm sure this would reflect Rooney's feelings awell:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Steven Gerrard has slammed the conduct of Cristiano Ronaldo for his role in Wayne Rooney's red card.

Rooney was sent off during England's World Cup quarter final defeat to Portugal after stamping on Ricardo Carvalho.

As referee Horatio Elizondo stood over the incident, Ronaldo came up to the official to remonstrate over the actions of his Manchester United team-mate.

Ronaldo was then pushed by Rooney before the England striker was dismissed for his initial altercation with Carvalho.

The actions of Ronaldo have drawn heavy criticism and Gerrard was fuming with the Portuguese winger.

"If it was one of my team-mates, I'd be absolutely disgusted in him because there's no need for that," said Gerrard.

"I've seen Ronaldo going over giving the card and I think he's bang out of order."

Television cameras also caught Ronaldo winking at the Portuguese dugout after Rooney's sending off, with Gerrard again infuriated by his Premiership rival.

The Liverpool captain added: "I think that sums him up as a person.

"If I was playing against my team-mates from Liverpool and they were involved in a situation like that, I'd never try and get them sent off." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Anti Ronaldo banners outside OT, shown on SSN. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How moronic can people be?

Anyway is Keyser being spotted holding a banner? icon_wink.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bayern Munich midfielder Owen Hargreaves wants to join Manchester United.

The England international won over his doubters with a splendid showing at the World Cup finals as he won the Man of the Match award for the penalty shoot-out defeat to Portugal.

Hargreaves has always expressed a desire to play in The Premiership and the opportunity to move to United is one he is itching to accept.

Sir Alex Ferguson has turned to the tenacious tackler, even though he is under contract until 2010, after it looks like he will lose the race for his top target - Lyon's Mahamadou Diarra.

The Mali international has expressed a desire to join Real Madrid as the Spanish giants seem certain to fight off the competition from Old Trafford.

"The offer from Manchester United is fantastic," Hargreaves told Bild.

"It's especially enticing for me as an England international, and you never know if the opportunity will present itself again.

"Now it's time for me to take the next step and develop myself further [as a player]."

"Herr [Dieter] Hoeness knows what a unique opportunity this is for me."

Bayern, however, will not let the Canada-born player leave cheaply and coach Felix Magath has already stressed his opposition to any deal.

"Selling Hargreaves has never been on our agenda," said Magath.

United have only signed Michael Carrick and back-up keeper Thomas Kuszczack this summer as they attempt to mount a serious Premiership challenge to champions Chelsea. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

more commitment than giggs icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

hahaha you've made my day kid </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yet another one who stopped watching Giggs in 2001 it would seem.

Evra has started well and looks the part, but he'll have to keep it up for more than two games before I'm pushing him to be our permanent left back. However the signs are good icon14.gif

As for the centre, I'm really quite happy with Wes and Rio, apart from when injuries are affecting us like now, I wouldn't want to disrupt their partnership, no matter how much I like Gaby.

Hard to choose the MOM in such a game, but it can't be anyone in defence, as they didn't look comfortable all afternoon.

MOM: Saha. Should have scored near the end, but worked tirelessly all afternoon in wide areas, and set up the first goal. Good movement.

2nd: Giggs. Continued his recent good form and lots of nice little runs and passes.

I'm not that fussed about getting a Ruud replacement. That'll blatantly come back to bite me when Saha gets the inevitable injury, but I'd much rather take the gamble that our current striking options will see us through and get the one defensive midfielder that will give us a real chance this season.

All irrelevant anyway I guess, clearly getting no-one. Gill's just a ****ing embarrassment.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jep:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyPolack:

Still 3 hours to go though. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's just like ur thread last summer - its going to be a long, long 3 hours chaps icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*our ffs icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

It has rained at every single United match I have ever been to icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha thats just unlucky. all the matches ive been to have been fine, apart from when i went to the vofafone cup a few years back. it was so bad the matches were called off lol. got my money back though icon_cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Moved to Manchester a few weeks ago and i'm lovin it so far. Was at the game on Sunday and just got an email confirming my tickets for Copenhagen, Portsmouth, Chelsea and Everton.

Got lost in Moss Side though on Saturday night, on my own and didn't get home til 8am and that's only because some taxi driver pulled over and told me to get in now cause i'm lucky to still be alive!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

can still turn it down iirc

Honestly have no idea what we're doing any more if we're even thinking of selling Jones. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ok. i havent delayed, ive asked it to start at the end of the season if theres a difference... icon_confused.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

time to vote whore, I'm about 3/4 votes behind with not long left, come on guys icon_smile.gif

exercise your democratic right. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You ****er. I wasnt losing and thus on course to win the group and remain undefeated. If i lose now i'll never forgive you.

• 5 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Who's on beer duties tomorrow FFS icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ta for reminding me i have stella in my boot still

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

heh FM data supposedly not too great re: United then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, it's brilliant. Everyone who's seen Pique play knows for a fact he's the next Bobby Moore. Just like everyone who's seen Northern Irish international Jonathan Evans knows he's absolutely rubbish and not a prospect at all. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey as much as Johnny Evans is underrated i will not have people slag of Pique to make that point. icon_mad.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

In terms of things that are completely instinctive and that i'd call footballing genius, the things that most players wouldn't even try, i'd actually put Rooney ahead. The same in terms of Jimlad's "managing the ball". On top of that, to have the decision making and vision parts of the game to such a degree at such a young age is a huge factor. Some players, especially flair players, never get that side sorted, or at least not until they are much later in their careers.

That's not to say that players all develop at the same rate, or that Ronaldo can't be better than Rooney. But i'd put Rooney significantly ahead in terms of where they are now, and still with a lead in terms of potential as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we'll have to agree to differ because i'm off out to get drunk, but i'd quibble with the last paragraph especially - i don't think there's a significant difference at all in their current ability. if anything, Ronnie's been the better player by a fair distance this season so far (there are obviously mitigating circumstances you could cite in Wayne's favour, but i still think the point stands).

i'd have strongly agreed with you this time last season, but i think the gap's closed so much so as to almost be non-existent now.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

I thought Park, Giggs and Rooney all played worse than Fletcher. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and you'd be completely correct. Park was atrocious, Giggs was awful late on when we needed a bit of quality from him, and Rooney just isn't there for whatever reason. tbf, i think again there's a bit of an overreaction with wayne, he played pretty well outside the box, there were a few brilliant surging runs from him which would/should have created chances had he had some support. he just doesn't look like he'd score in a granny-staffed brothel at the minute :/

i'm still pretty annoyed, newcastle were dire (no matter what fergie said) and they were there for a thrashing, and we inexplicably sat back after taking the lead and tried to cruise to 2-1. the equaliser, both generally and specifically, could be seen coming a mile off, and the way we tore into them and created numerous chances after that made the slackening off even more infuriating. on the face of it it's not a disaster to just get a point there, but i have a feeling the two points that were very definitely dropped will be looked back on at the end of the campaign as a massive turning point.

still, at least i can cheer myself up by laughing at just how pathetic the geordies were \O/

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Taken from Owen Hargreaves BBC column.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Hey Owen, I was wondering which team did you support when you were a kid?

Thomas Zaqueu, Mozambique

I used to watch a show called Soccer Saturday on TV in Canada. It came on at 7am because of the time difference and at the time Liverpool were the big team with Steve McManaman, Robbie Fowler and John Barnes. We only had one game every Saturday and it was always the big team so I grew up watching a lot of Liverpool. I was a big Steve McManaman fan as a kid.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BBB isnt going to be happy. First we sign a scouser in Rooney and now we are after a McManaman lover, thats a step too far. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

love the way he doesn't quite go as far as saying he was a Liverpool fan. clearly paving the way for the move icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

Anyone want to buy my ticket for Spurs?

Henry's goal was painful. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i will if it can be turned into an adults?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

I want two tickets for watford next to each other now :@ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mug Mart and Keith. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

jonny has mine iirc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

second string in the fa cup please, not remotely bothered about it. i just want the league back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The treble not on?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ferguson could be thwarted as Bale leans to Spurs

Stuart James and Jeremy Wilson

Friday May 18, 2007

The Guardian

Tottenham seem to have gained the upper hand in their battle with Manchester United to sign the Wales defender Gareth Bale, with the 17-year-old left-back understood to be leaning towards a move to White Hart Lane.

Southampton accepted a bid from Tottenham during the January transfer window but the teenager, mindful that United were also interested and keen to finish the season on the south coast, opted to stay at St Mary's. With the Saints failing to win promotion, however, his departure is now regarded as inevitable. His future is expected to be discussed at St Mary's next week, with north London emerging as the most likely destination.

Spurs are keen to add a left-sided player to their squad and it is believed that Bale has been made aware of the financial package on offer. He was shown around White Hart Lane in January and, although United's interest has flattered the teenager, the opportunity to play regularly may be a decisive factor in his decision. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

nah, dodged that bullet. he's moving in with his scouse bird isn't he </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

is this house sharing, or moving in with? icon_eek.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

depends if you're asking what it is or what he'd like it to be really

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived