The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James M:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James M:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

Is it James M who is getting a (bit of) a season ticket out of me if he does. Or is it another james?

And he still hasn't bothered to tell me how much they cost icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's me icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll give you £100 towards one then icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\o/ get in </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is only if that Press Conference on July 14th goes down like it was laid out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Maverick:

Maybe we should resign Keane, too, for a proper old-skool midfield. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, Keane retired so that would be silly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikey G:

I know you're not blaming the Glazers for everything, but if you are blaming them a bit then you could even go back to who ever it was who made you a PLC. Glazers were just making the most of a situation, not their fault that you were liable to it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think most people here would agree that Martin Edwards is a grade A, prize-winning knob jockey. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a complete twat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

When Fergie changed his mind in 2002 and decided to stay on, can people remember what their honest reactions and thoughts were at the time? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hadnt we just come off the back of 3 back to back league titles? I'd imagine i was happy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah but we were also doing pretty badly during the 01/02 season too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I see, just not many Portuguese called 'John' thats all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Baptista John is my real last name! Anyway i didnt think i would mind if he left but seeing him say that it was his dream and stuff is crushing me also hes ow showing off, Im going to miss him but i watch la liga footie on sky sports but its not the same. Real also have the champions leagues two top scorers of all time, I think they may win it this season tbh Not just because Van the man but Cannavaro is world class and plus Robinho and a fit Raul will be a force! Barce are still better though icon_wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Good to see we're wasting our time just tying down players we already have by a year or two extra instead of out looking for the new ones we need. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's right, there's no way the two things could happen at the same time icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? icon_frown.gif

I wasn't being serious but man, now you've let me in on that info, I'm really gutted.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

maybe we could think about converting him to a central midfielder?

just Scholes, Carrick, Hargreaves, Senna, Richardson, Diarra, Pirlo, Gattuso, O'Shea, Giggs, Miller and Maraschino to get through there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't forget Burrage's grandfather.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Can United OTFers stop texting random transfer rumours around unless there's a source? icon_mad.gificon_biggrin.gif

It's like a bloody chain letter </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which one is getting sent round? The Torres one?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

One United membership sorted. \o/

Can't buy tickets yet, though. How long before my number gets recognised ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it wont be online for the liverpool game, but if you ring the TO you can use the number to apply for games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Jules

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

Full of Cole hate in here, and rightfully so the c**nt. icon_smile.gif

OGS >* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif

And Fergie said Martin would stay for the year last I heard, not sure about a recall clause, wouldn't have thought we would do that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Everyone in the world seemed to become a Liverpool fan that night.. even some fellow United supporters... urgh

I was the ONLY one in the pub not happy about it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

my best mate "I got caught up in the moment", get ****ed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I won £625 from the result, it was the day of my last ever uni exam and I was still absolutely devasted. Had such a row with my girlfriend who was happy because of the money and told me I was 'stupid' for wanting Milan to win.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hairwad:

Do you see where the mistake is in threatening aforementioned qualification by playing a formation that has proven to be sh*te on numerous occasions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember 442 being sh*te until 1999. It's very easy to hide behind tactics. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, we never won anything before then </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

clear windup </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clearly talking about europe

• 3 weeks later...

Oh what a fantastic day, started off crap.

Got the beer for the train, then was searched/handheld metal detector. Sat down on the floor in the gangway thing and someone came to get past, I stood up, twatted my head and my ipod fell out of my pocket and then got stood on, got no idea if it's broken.

We sank some pints in the pub, whilst putting on some appropiate music - ring of fire, walking in a winter wonderland, monster icon_cool.gif, let them know it's christmas time.

Got to the ground, had 2 hot dogs (tbf Nick had 2 pies) then headed for our seats, near enough at the back, it was like West Ham \o/, hardly anyone singing, just a small pocket of us, me and Nick starting off songs icon_cool.gif. Got a text from James07 literally as Ronaldo scored saying "replay of west ham?" haha icon_biggrin.gif. We scored and we went fecking mental and the United fans woke up.

Then, it happened. Corner, headed out go on Scholesy hit it, **** ME ITS IN. I went mental, nearly ripping the poor sod in front of us head of and Nick was just in utter shock icon_biggrin.gif

Ronaldo just ****ing fantastic, motm just in front of Scholes.

Walking out singing United songs and not caring, ditto queuing for the train, what a fantastic day out

JINGLE BELLS, JINGLE BELLS, JINGLE ALL THE WAY, OH WHAT FUN IT IS TO SEE UNITED WIN AWAY HEY!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Scholes won't retire at the end of next season, and Neville will be gone before him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bardsley straight in for Neville. Or, I have an inkling that Ferie wants a Cafu type Right Full next. Remember us going in for Cicinho and De Jong? Both extreamly attack minded.

Scholes to retire at 34 TBH. Thats at the end of '08 I think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure about Bardsley, heard good things about Simpson though, need Nick/Taz around to tell me of his merits.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by benkeat:

sitting next to the single most depressing united fan in work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oi.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

we'll let him do the treble only if he promises to retire after this one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

why exactly? the notion that there is someone better out there to manage us right now and that fergie is somehow deadwood is frankly ridiculous. i hope you are joking

You have to add on 30 secs for each sub so thats 2 and a half minutes there. Think WCR said 30 seconds for a goal as well so thats 3 and a half minutes.

I dont see whats wrong with 4 minutes at all, just Motty yet again showing why he should retire.

And if that article is to be believed its great news that Vidic has a bug and isnt injured.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

passing at the end was ridiculous icon_biggrin.gif

we really should have nailed one in, would have been the best move ever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like that Scholes goal against Panathinaikos I think? The chip after 30+ passes, so good.

• 2 weeks later...

Remembered that Vidic chant I was on about yesterday, but can't remember the name of the tune so don't know how much help it'll be:

NEMANJA! You know, that its Vidic alongside Rio! [Repeat ad infinitum]

...I really have been racking my brains for the 'real song' its using as a base and I *think* that lyrics are...

Its magic! You know, always believe in your soul!

...or something to that effect at least.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

btw lads, who are your 2 players of the season so far? i saw a poll of united fans on this recently, scholes and ronaldo were tied.

for me:

1) Paul Scholes - (sometimes overshadowed by more prominent team members in the past maybe because of the very quiet way he goes about things, but for me it has been impossible to ignore just how good the lad is, this season more than any. would be thrilled if he won player of the year, not sure he would though)

2) Cristiano Ronaldo - pretty self explanatory, the year he came of age as a consistent and genuine threat. hard to separate the two really but scholes edges it for me.

Most Improved so far:

1) Cristiano Ronaldo

2) Patrice Evra </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First off Evra has been a lot more improved than Ronaldo. Ronaldo was very good in the latter half of last season and his Dad died during the first half.

Onto player of the season and i'd have Ronaldo over Scholes. Ronaldo has pulled something out of nothing and changed the game in our favour so many times this season that it has to be him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

totally dont get the richards thing. good player, superb in the air and built like a marine but have seen nothing to make me think he would be close to nevilles brilliance going forward (zero threat crossing wise which is arguably nevilles biggest plus over other 'good' right backs) and positionally goes missing at times.

miguel the next best thing to neville and a few years younger, plus him and ronnie could taunt the opposition in portuguese as they breeze past them. nice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Iirc, the reason he was brought on for England on Saturday, (according to the commentator) was that he was more suited to attacking than Neville.

I know it was Pip on Saturday, and you're talking Gary, but it's still balls. icon_smile.gif

The "since Beckham left" is the key there. I don't think it has improved that much. The difference is at least as much the situations in which he's crossing as his ability at it.

These days he's generally got a winger in front of him, who's pushed high up the pitch and usually has not only the full back but also the wide midfielder trying to mark him. So when Gaz is crossing, it's often from a good position just outside the box, with little pressure from the opposition. That's the position (although in his case under pressure) which Beckham would usually occupy, so Neville's crosses would more often happen on the overlap, and more importantly on the run.

I'm not saying it's not got better, or that he's not good at it. But a lot of the supposed improvement is down to essentially the difference between having Ronaldo rather than Beckham in front of him.

Similar things have happened on the other side. Evra has looked great in an attacking sense this season, and part of the reason has been that he's been able to use his pace to bomb on and overlap, as Giggs plays much deeper these days and ists in for him. Heinze by contrast doesn't do that so well, so hasn't looked as good in an attacking sense. Yet in the last two games, Heinze has suddenly looked much more of an attacking threat, putting in good crosses. That's been partly down to having Ronaldo and then Richardson (who for all his uselessness, was playing more the position of a winger higher up the pitch than giggs tends to) in front of him.

This is why people need to be very wary about touting full backs as being able to play wide midfield because they look good going forward. It's a completely different proposition playing against a wide midfielder who may not track back enough, to going up against a full back who's actually marking you.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

it's usually two legs isn't it. I know sky don't mention it, but don't expect them to be informative ffs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah my bad. Just figured the add would have said 1st leg (unless I missed it). First leg is tomorrow, second leg is the April 26th.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by something less annoying:

How much money have we got this summer btw? Did Uncle Malc say £25m per season or £25m per window? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we've got just shy of £75m

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

dont actually understand that post and i can even communicate with polack. wp on the bafflement. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If i knew Nick was moving so slow i would have voted instead of writing a review for Venus. (not that i don't like the movie but i watched it about 3 weeks ago and i can't remember enough to write a proper review for it). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe read the thread icon_smile.gif

I'd still have VDS as our number1 keeper for next season even if Foster was fully fit. Let him be number2 and play all in the League Cup/FA Cup/Derby at home etc. Then if he's definitely good enough, let VDS step aside and Foster be number1 for 2008/2009, as I think VDS has 1 more good season in him.

Archived