The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Stolen from RI, spot on.

Not a massive fan of the lad and if he wants to go to Real Madrid then there’s the door sunshine but…….

It’s always somebody else’s fault isn’t it? Ronaldo gets Rooney sent off and is now single headedly responsible for England crashing out of the World Cup. What utter boll*cks.

Ronaldo claims he didn’t try to get Rooney sent off, claiming he was highlighting the foul. Automatically he’s branded a liar, but is their any evidence to suggest otherwise?

What’s the universal tactic for trying to get an oppositional player booked or sent off? Running towards the ref brandishing the imaginary card. Guilty or not guilty?

Did Ronaldo feign injury a la Thierry Henry? Guilty or not guilty? Talking of which, notice how Carvalho has come out smelling of roses in all this? Didn’t he ‘cheat’ by rolling around in mock agony? He seemed to make a remarkably quick recovery to say he’d just been ‘stamped’ in the balls.

This whole witch hunt stems from the immediate desperate, spiteful BBC coverage.

Alan Shearer: ’Rooney should stick one on him on the first day of training’. Really Alan? This coming from a man not adverse to kicking a fellow professional in the head. But that’s not cheating is it Alan? That’s playing the game the 'English’ way.

Ian ‘was that a wink?’ Wright. Jesus H. Christ – that’ll stand up in court won’t it Ian? Ronaldo winks 20 times an hour during a game. And what if he is pleased that Rooney’s gone? I’m sorry but at that moment in time Rooney is not a United team mate – he’s the main threat from a team that is now down to 10 men in a World Cup Quarter Final. Heinze would’ve done the same. He’s a United player but he loves his country more than United. He certainly loves his country more than England. I’m amazed that England fans always seem to think they’ve got a monopoly on patriotism and ‘putting your country first’.

Incidentally, this is the same Ian Wright who said at half time: ‘I fear for Wayne in that isolated role. I can see him getting frustrated and into trouble in the second half’. Spot on Einstein.

So now we’ve got the tabloids running a hate campaign against a young player who took turns tormenting both (world class) England full backs and had the balls to step up to score the winning penalty in a World Cup Quarter Final.

As England plodded through, the only thing you could get out of some fans was ‘It’s the World Cup, the performance is irrelevant, the result is everything. If Portugal did set out to ‘get ‘Rooney than it says as much about Rooney as it does about them. The Portuguese didn’t invent winding up vulnerable players – it’s the oldest trick in the book.

Whenever England lose there’s always got to be a scapegoat. Ronaldo fits the bill perfectly: young, cocky, flash and a United player to boot. Perfect. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Totally agree. And from the replays I've seen I think Rooney intentionally lashed out at Carvalho.

As I've said before, Man Utd cannot afford to sell Ronaldo. He's already one of the best players in the world and he's only just into his twenties ffs. In Rooney, Ronaldo and Rossi, you have one of the most promising, if not THE most promising, strikeforces in the world.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Begging text messages? I dont even have your mobile number you big arse.

Oh and you messaged me on MSN first, so havent a clue what you're on about.

Scatter, its the fact that i saw Keyesers post that i replied with that, should i be putting safety winks in all my posts now?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by olipepper:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

yes well there we are, and much as I love Tone, he's no physio.

Vieira was awesome in the world cup, save for the first game, I think hed view joining you lot as a fantastic challenge, and hes certainly better than any of the other shlt you have in central midfield atm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can we drop the "he's better than what youve got" argument for midfielders please. So's Beryl Reid, it's not really relevant.

As for the world cup, that doesn't wash with me. He's at that stage which players often get to, he can raise himself to his old heights when he really needs to, but it happens less and less often.

I'm not knocking the guy, he was utterly awesome at his best, i just think it would put us back no better than we were a year or two before Keane retired to sign him now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its not an argument, I just like reminding you all how rubbish your central midfield is atm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and we still managed to secure 2nd spot </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and the league cup, dont forget the league cup </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Still got a point about 2nd place though. Seriously, the clubs below us - and consider themselves challengers - should be ashamed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Technically we should have about £40 million ( 12 from Mikel, 10 for Ruud plus this seasons 25 mill budget) to spend this year but it is quite obvious we have nowhere near that.

I have given up all hope of signing anyone decent. If we sign any outfield player I will be surprised. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good maths jonny...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Can you fit in the bath, Rich? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes beer gut goes out, not across ffs icon_biggrin.gif

On the back of what many o you obviosuly thought was a pretty good showing, what's happening with Lee Martin this season? Is he one of the ones off to Antwerp or somewhere else (NEC?)

Or will he be left to play in the reserves/ one token bench appearance in the League Cup?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy Jordan:

again, that's not true.

you're clinging to some sort of belief that Ferguson completely made up Ruud requesting a transfer in 2005, an assertion which van Nistelrooy did not deny.

regardless of Ferguson's proclivity for dishonesty, van Nistelrooy HAS spoken out before regarding hot-button issues such as these.

thus, I feel that Ruud did indeed hand in a transfer request in 2005 and that he has been wantaway ever since. Ferguson obviously has not taken kindly to this and waged some sort of war with the man this year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While i think it's likely he handed in a request at some point last spring/summer, it hardly follows that that was the straw the broke the camels back, as he was a certain starter until about february. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>yes, but I believe it precipitated the complete breakdown that occurred then.

I imagine that Ferguson took shots at Ruud all the time, no doubt out of spite and anger, and that it finally snapped. coupled with a downturn in form, this behavior gave Fergie a chance to drop him, irrevocably ending a great career at Old Trafford.

If we're being realistic (judging by Fergie's comments) the team will be something like:

VDS

Neville

Rio

Brown

Evra

Park

Senna

Giggs

Richardson

Rossi

Ole

And if the the FA do the right thing, Scholes and Rooney to also be included.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe there is a question over the commitment of Giggs over Smith. Giggs was mint on Sunday and has put in very good performances since he has been put into central midfield.

Go down road, get giro, go to pub - get plastered

go back home, beat the wife

cos i'm a yorkshire bastard.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

okay everyone summarise the day NOW.

I've not had access to any news other than West Ham's "thing".

wtf is this about Ole? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Supposedly gone on loan to Sunderland till January

• 3 weeks later...

anyway, i have a few thoughts from today:

1 - we will not win the league/CL because our so called matchwinners (rooney/ronaldo) are still too inconsistent to do it over a season

2 - not buying senna, as we all know was a ****ing joke and has already proved so thanks to jon o shea

3 - we badly missed giggs

4 - fletcher is a good player and is rapidly improving

aside from that: awful performance, awful substitutions, awful rooney, awful. arsenal by far the better side and will probably finish above us.

oh and lehmann is a ****.

but what a save

• 2 weeks later...

Jonny Evans was immense last night. Watched the match in the Sports Cafe in Manchester. Along with Davis he was the best player on the park. He never stopped workin and didn't put a foot wrong all night, even though he was being played at left back again. It was obvious that Denmark picked him out as the weak link cause they constantly played the ball out right and tried to use the overlap on him but he stood up and looked like he had been playing for years! Also he said after the game tht he wanted to be be known as Northern Ireland's greatest ever player which shows what sort of attitude and belief he has. icon14.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Talking about the Panda Coke Cup is going to sound a bit ****ing hypocritical after last season, wouldn't you say? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Da.

And all the stuff about "inept manager, too defensive, hope he stays on as long as possible" sounds a lot like what other club's fans were saying about SAF before the start of the season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">if sheva/drogba was to get injured they could go out and get another striker as easy as buying a bottle of milk </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif Reminds me of the Mourinho Radio spoof thing. "You want me to buy Rooney, ok look www.amazon.co.uk, search term 'rooney'" icon_biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

I have an awful feeling we are going to lose this and Chelsea will score twice in stoppage time to win 2-1. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mika pessism icon_cool.gif

I agree btw.

Shamelessly dragging the Thread back a few posts, my favouritest ever United player was and is Robson. Even though he was like 33 when I started watching United, I just worshiped him. Cantona the only one to have come close. Others include Jaap (so gutted when he was sold), Scholes, Beckham (although less gutted when he was sold), and, erm, Juan Veron, John O'Shea and Neil Webb. Mostly midfielders, mostly good. All better than Silvestre.

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Is anyone actually thinking of going to this treaty of rome thing? £17 a pop I think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

id love to if only to see becks at ot one last time (assuming we dont get real in later rounds) but i wont be able to take the time off work icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mate he's gone, get over it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> FA Youth Cup Semi-Final Second Leg, Manchester United v Arsenal, Old Trafford, Monday 2 April 2007, Kick off 7pm.

Supporters can pay on the turnstiles on the night, £5 adults, £2 under 16's and over 65's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Nah, What's an extra £20 million debt between friends? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, you're subscribing to the '****ing in the ocean' school of thought eh? It's a good point.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that provisional list is a fair appraisal of the situation. Keeps regional rivalries in the mix but not oversold in terms of importance and the key 3 way out in front. Good shout dropping West Ham and Newcastle, at the minute they don't generate enough heat to be considered core rivals.

I personally wouldn't be inclined to drop Arsenal to close too Chelsea because while they've dropped away marginally in the last two seasons domestically, they're still a force & I would imagine that if they'd had Henry & van Persie fit and on form for longer stretches this season they'd be closer to Liverpool and they've still screwed us over a few times in the last few years.

As for Chelsea I think 10(-12 max) is about right as well. Takes into account the fact that Chelsea have been a top-6 team for a while really and that even without Roman/Jose they've been a "problematic" team for us at times without overselling the fact that they are currently right up there. If they weren't contenders they'd be around the 10 level for sure but no higher really.

• 2 weeks later...

I can just imagine the gods discussing how to ruin our season.

"Well we could put them out of the cups early and make them finish 5th"

"Nah, too painless. What if we make them have a really good season, right up until the end. Then just when they think they're going to win something we'll rain down a whole host of injuries upon them"

"Nice idea"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

2nd: Didn't see it , because of idiots go down the concourses ffs icon_mad.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably for the best. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thought as much tbf. icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Pazzini looks like he's got potential but I've not seen enough of him to really get an idea of his potential </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seeing Pazzini up close at Wembley the other month, he looks an absolute brilliant prospect, sort of like a younger version of Berbatov. He's very strong, quick and has a great shot on him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another "Next" Ronaldo Linked

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Several top European sides are in the hunt for Hungarian starlet Roland Varga, according to his agent.

The 17-year-old MTK Budapest striker, who has been likened to Cristiano Ronaldo, has been linked in with moves to several sides, Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson (pictured) rumoured to be considering an approach.

But while his agent, Nandor Bognar, admits the player would be interested in such a move, he has denied the English champions have made contact.

"We'd be happy if Manchester United wanted to sign him, but they haven't shown interest in Roland so far," he told obudaisport.hu.

However, Bognar said he has had trials with a string of top clubs, and wants to prove himself outside of youth teams.

"He's just come home from Tottenham Hotspur and before this he had a trial with Scottish side Hearts, English team Reading and Spanish side Espanyol.

"He had to prove his abilities among older players because - I hope I don't seem to be too stuck-up - he 'outgrew' the football of his age group."

He added: "So far, we haven't received any detailed offers." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived