The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daaaaave:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

underdelivering twat.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

except...you know...scoring that pen </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

good penalty tbf, think robinson had give up and gone home tho.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lyon

The Lyon thing I won’t go into as much but has anyone else considered why they’ve already signed like 3 new midfielders this summer? I’d have liked us to have been in for Kallstrom at the price they paid but with the other moves they have made as well I can’t help thinking that they’ll be willing to do business not only for Diarra (although he’s more likely to go to Madrid it seems) but possibly for the likes of Juninho Pernambunco as well. Of course I’d rather we didn’t do business with them at all because they’ll try and gouge us but having Silvestre and Evra as potential bargaining chips (because while Abidal is solid he’s not all that and its only form that has him in ahead of Mickey especially) gives us options as far as making a deal goes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

As much as I'd love to be in full support of him.. the more I watch it the more I think he did kick back into Carvalho purposefully.

If the red was given for the "push" on Ronaldo it's a joke though </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed in full.

I watched it a few times this morning since I didn't get a good look at it yesterday and each time it seems like theres a purposeful backwards movement with his left leg while he appears to have solid balance with his right. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. We're right, basically.

and Jules icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

Lads, did you lot ever have a shirt that was worn purely for European games and no other, Im sure you did.

A photo and the season would be nice.

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The centenary white on one side Gold on the other if you turn it inside out fits the bill i think.

I even have one some where, sure iot was for Europe only.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> United to extend van der Sar deal

Goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar is expected to be offered a new one-year contract by Manchester United

In his first season at Old Trafford last term, the veteran Dutchman has proved himself to be United's best goalkeeper since Peter Schmeichel retired in 1999.

Fabien Barthez, Mark Bosnich and, infamously, Massimo Taibi, are among those who have tried and failed to fill the great Dane's gloves, while, after one decent season, Tim Howard lost form badly and has now been sent on loan to Everton.

However, van der Sar's ability and experience saw him cope easily with the demands of playing for the Red Devils and with Sir Alex Ferguson in the process of revamping his first-team squad, he is ready to offer the 35-year-old an extension to the contract which is due to expire next summer.

"Edwin has one more year left on his contract and we are looking to give him another one," said Ferguson.

"We have to pay attention to his age and it depends on how he does next season but he was a terrific addition to our squad last year. His form was superb."

By staying with United for extra year, van der Sar will also buy Ferguson a bit of time as he assesses whether youngster Ben Foster has the quality required to eventually become first-choice.

Although Foster is the senior keeper on United's current tour of South Africa, he will return to Watford on loan for the new campaign providing Ferguson can sort out the transfer of Tomasz Kuszczak from West Brom.

The Baggies have reacted with consternation to Ferguson's claims that a deal to sign Kuszczak is on the brink of being done but it does appear only a matter of time before the Pole arrives at Old Trafford.

There are many who question why the Red Devils chief needs to buy Kuszczak given Foster's outstanding performances last term saw him installed on Sven-Goran Eriksson's World Cup standby list.

However, Ferguson does not feel he can go into the new season without a back up to Van der Sar who has proven Premiership experience, something 24-year-old Kuszczak got at the Hawthorns last season.

"We need some experienced cover," said Ferguson.

"The fact Tomasz has played a full season in the Premiership gives him greater all round experience at this moment in time.

"But we are trying to consolidate our goalkeeping options and by next season I think we will be in a stronger position than at any time since the Peter Schmeichel era."

Meanwhile, Ferguson confirmed he is in the hunt for new signings, having so far failed to bring in a single fresh face.

Tottenham's Michael Carrick and Atletico Madrid forward Fernando Torres continue to be strongly linked with a move to Old Trafford, while the demotion of Juventus, Lazio and Fiorentina to Serie B for their part in the Italian match-fixing scandal could see a host of big-names entering the transfer market, including Patrick Vieira and David Trezeguet.

"We are looking," said Ferguson. "Hopefully, something will be done in the next couple of weeks."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

im hoping we will sign carrick for 20 million </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To put the nonsense of that price in perspective, Ruud cost £19m.

'I am here for the pre-season just like last year and have no intention to leave. I want to stay here,'

'We need to forget about last season's disappointments. We have a new coach (Javier Aguirre) in whom I have confidence and he does in me,'

'We have signed some great new players and I am really looking forward to working with them next season.'

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

I know where it's leading though icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad you do, cos I’ve not got a clue icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Apart from Miller who was free anyway and possibly Evra (though that remains to be seen), all of the signings since 2003 have been good imo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jury still out on Smith as well? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps, but only because circumstance (signings, positional switches & injury) has impeded the impact he's been able to make with us.

Despite this however, he's shown the right attitude and put in a few good performances when given the opportunity, both of which have probably gone a long way to ensuring that the fans think of him as a good signing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KennyEire:

Last night there were a few times where he ran at the defence and looked a real threat, some power in his shots too. Suppose he just needs a goal or two to get him going fully like.

Richardson looked good to me too, well able to skin a player. Chances of him playing a biggish role this year ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's been a one good performance in 6 player so far. He's well known as thinking he's a big shot already, so his only real chance is if he sorts out his attitude and puts the work in. Even then it's debateable. I'm not convinced, but either way if he's going to make a breakthrough it'll need to be this year.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

18 in a few weeks

still look around 12ish which is nice </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just like Eulogy.

He was 25 when we all met up from the wrestling crew and still had to take ID with him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

oh yeh something i thought of today, remember that headline after the world cup?

'when i see ronaldo ill put a pickaxe in his head'

yeh right </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's an expression of pain tbh, not joy. He is crushing his head with all the strength he can muster.

Owen Hargreaves is almost 100 percent certain to become a Manchester United player this week, Setanta Sports understands.

The Old Trafford club were on the verge of landing the England midfielder last week until Bayern Munich tested their resolve by bumping up the player's price from Stg14 million to almost Stg20 million.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, they broke the Carrick story before everyone else icon_cool.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">oh and lehmann is a ****.

but what a save </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Said in the MotD2 thread, that when Solskjaer hit that, I immediately thought 'Well, 1-1 is a pretty damn good result at Old Trafford.' icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i was behind that goal almost level with the pitch and was speechless for the next 2 minutes. genuinely thought it was in icon_frown.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T!mbo:

That's the only reason I can think he was picked over Evra. Evra has shown that he's not always going to come off best if things get a bit combative but Gaby ended up out wide at the one time we really needed him in the middle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't really understand what you mean, Heinze was marking Carvalho at the corner. He was at fault as he gave Carvalho space to get a running jump. The thing is Heinze isn't that good in the air anyway he's too short and frequently gets outjumped, he's only effective in stopping the other player jumping or getting a clean header and he failed.

Fault also has to go to Giggs who made a terrible pass which gave Chelsea possession and consequently the corner.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Oh and Mikael Silvestre ftw. Clearly better than O'Shea. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not exactly hard, me in Antwerp at about 5am on the first 'night' would be better than O'Shea, and I only had one leg.

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

we were appalling at Benfica. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeh but it was the only game in which we got a result, therefore it wins by default </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I asked for the last match where there was both a performance and a result.

• 4 weeks later...

Seeings as his agent is now in the press today saying that nothing is certain and Ronaldo isn't definite to extend his deal. I'd say there could be some truth to the attempts for Real and his agent to engineer a move away from the club.

The guy is either trying to get more money for his client with United or a big pay packet with Real.

If (massive IF) Ronaldo publicly comes out and says "i want to go to Madrid/Barcelona" Then the guy can feck off and we should screw the Spanish for as much as we can.

However. I have belief that Ronaldo himself doesn't want to leave, that he's strong enough to tell his agent he doesn't want to leave and that he'll sign the contract to stay with the club.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Smith, Rooney and Mika afb

Craig Foster ftw too. Ronaldo's not yet the best in the world because he hasn't stepped up in big games and taken his team by the scruff of the neck. So basically what he's saying is that Ronaldo needs to do stuff like putting a motm performance in in an FA Cup final, being instrumental in getting his national team to the semis of a World Cup, and scoring late goals to help his club team towards a title?

At the risk of showing too much faith in our youngsters, I reckon Rossi could make an important contribution next season. He obviously knows where the goal is, having been prolific at every level all the way up to now Serie A, the league with supposedly the best defences in the world [/ignoring7-1] icon_wink.gif

Seriously though, from what I can recall the main concerns for him in our first team is that he's too lightweight too play as a centre forward and that he's too similar to Rooney. Well if we persist with this 4-2-Lots formation then his movement and intelligence should keep him away from the physical battles, while he can interchange with Wazza and Ronnie as Giggsy does atm. Ultimately I think he can replace Giggs in his current position in the long term. From that point of view our front four (if you will) for next season would be Ronaldo-Giggs-Rooney; Smudge, with Solskjaer-Rossi-Park; Saha as cover. Plus Dong's marketing money to bankroll a replacement for Ole icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

haha, just seen this from the Mirror:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">MANCHESTER City legend Mike Summerbee has come up with a novel way of stopping Manchester United next weekend.

City must score to avoid going down in history as the team with fewest top-flight goals at home in a season and Summerbee says locking United in their dressing-room until kick-off might help. He explained: "I don't think we should allow visiting teams to warm up on the pitch. Keep them in the dressingroom until just before kick-off.

Even some of the best players would bottle it having to run out in front of 40-odd thousand." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he's serious isn't he? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't surprise me if he was serious. Can't fecking stand that bloke.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Well you're just a big bully. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're going to try and be like Ryan, you have to take all that entails, inlcuding me bullying you.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived